Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Tom Waits at the Opera House « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 68.60.182.26
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see Tom Waits friday night at the Opera House? I have been listening to his music for years and when he came through the midwest (not Detroit) last, I was very bumbed that I was not able to get tickets. I got tickets this time and managed with some difficulty. The Ticketmaster website was a nightmare with a glitch in the system that almost prevented me from getting tickets. I managed at what I guess to be, knowing that the tickets sold out in about 20 minutes, to getting tickets at the last minute.
This show was absolutely...Wonderful!! It is the best live performance I have ever been too. Tom Waits was delightful to watch, he is a very animated person. His tonal range is Phenomonal. To hear him live was far greater than any recording. I could not get enough! It was a complete, true pleasure. Sadly, I am guessing this is the last time we will see him in Detroit. He is a great story teller and I wish he told stories on CD, I would play them for my children.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7715
Posted From: 66.19.17.144
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to go but prices seemed a bit steep for my tastes.

Mani

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was expensive but definately worth it.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1743
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a great show, definitely worth the money, and frankly a bit cheaper than the other concerts I have been to recently!

Really amazing, I was so glad I saw it, especially given he tours so infrequently (put a price on that ticket NOW!)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1409
Posted From: 66.19.25.194
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The piano has been drinking...

Was it just him, or were there other musicians onstage? I'd like to see him with a full orchestra for a few of his old numbers. Need details.

...not me,... not me.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we're all gonna be, just dirt in the ground

Bone Machine is an overlooked gem!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 69.208.127.67
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this really is his last Detroit show, I'll be kicking myself for the rest of my life for not finding out about it in time...damn!

Mani

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were three band members with him, one being his son Casey Waits, who played the drums. There were some interesting instruments on stage that he used. He also played the piano, with roses on top. The show was very soulful and again too short. He sang many songs from the Real Gone album. There were still so many other songs i would have like to have heard live as well. Truely, he is an amazing live performer. I agree Bone Machine is a gem.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8707
Posted From: 70.54.69.58
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stupid cottage! I had to go this weekend and miss this show.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.