Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Are people jumping off Tiger bandwagon? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 865
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like a little losing streak is showing who the real fans are.
Have you noticed how some folks are being very negative once the Tigers have hit a tough patch?
I just got back from Cadillac and noticed some rough coverage in the paper about the team.
I also thought it's stupid to be comparing this team with the "84 team so soon. I say wait until after the season is over. The haven't won anything yet.
I do think they will still win their division.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 634
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Paul, the tigs will be fine. Shitcago has been struggling as of late too. You know they were going to come out with a vengance. Where in Cadillac were you? MY fam has had cottages there since i wasa youngin

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1188
Posted From: 69.14.251.28
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku... funny that you say "Shitcago." My friends in Chicago say "Detoilet."

Old as the hills, both of them... and I guess it depends on your perspective, right?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1708
Posted From: 4.229.132.140
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well.....the Tigers have not proven(to Chicago) that they are better,.. hell... as good as the White Sox.

I am always a Tiger fan that is not in question. But now that things are getting a lot tighter our boys seem to be tensing up and not playing as well.....and Boston coming up

I was thinking world series; now a good showing in the play-offs seems more realistic.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 866
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We stayed at Hermann's in the rooms above the restaurant on N. Mitchell Street in Cadillac. They had Lake Front days this weekend.
It was a nice little getaway. We went to the Mercy Hospice Duck Derby yesterday.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2755
Posted From: 128.36.14.52
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep things in perspective ... the tigers have been playing >670 ball for >10 weeks straight ... they are bound to slow down the pace a bit ... meanwhile they are facing teams that are fighting for their very survival ...

I think most tiger fans would have wanted out of this season (in order of likelihood) :
1) significant improvement with the core of young players
2) "good" baseball
3) a competitive team rooted in good young pitching
4) games that "matter" late in the season
5) the realistic possibility of post season
6) a playoff slot
7) winning a playoff series
8) a WS appearance
9) a WS victory
10) the first WS victory of a dynasty

So far this year #1-5 have pretty much been acomplished. (I would have been happy with #1-3.)

As to the rest of this list ... well ... The tigers remain the #1 team to likely make the post season ... 500 ball the remianer of the season gets them 98-99 wins. They are 5.5 games up in their division and 7.5 games AHEAD of the current WC leading team with 45 games remaining. By my calculation their magic # over CHI is 41 and BOS is 39.

To miss the playoffs either one of two most likely senarios would have to happen:
(1) CHI and MIN finish ahead of them
OR
(2) CHI (or MIN) AND NY AND BOS all finish ahead of DET.

Assuming mediocre ball from the tigers, MIN and BOS would have to play >650 ball to finish ahead of the tigers. CHI and NY would haveto paly >600 amd >630 ball. There are 7 weeks left in the season. that is a long time for that many teams to play that well for so long.

Is it possible sure, likely not really ... but hey .. isn't this the whole point of hoping for exciting baseball in AUG-SEPT?

(Message edited by rustic on August 13, 2006)

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2756
Posted From: 128.36.14.52
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another way to look at it ... if the tigers play merely 3 games over 500 the remainder of the season (24-21) that is 100 wins on the year ... not a bad position to be in in the middle of August ...

(Message edited by rustic on August 13, 2006)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1064
Posted From: 71.227.67.110
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if people are jumping off the bandwagon, but at least for me, I sit here thinking to myself that if getting to the World Series means a playoff vs either Chicago or New York, that I wouldn't have much confidence the Tigers could actually do it.

Sure they stomp on everyone else (Minnesota included), but it could very well come down to either one of those teams. No matter how good a regular season you have, you gotta beat them (see Detroit Red Wings & Detroit Pistons) when it counts. I have doubts that will happen, at least at this point.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 434
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still would love to see the Tigers in an ALCS vs. Chicago...mostly because I'll be living in Chicago in September/October and it would be my only realistic chance to see them in the playoffs.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teams get tested and go through losing streaks. The winning teams weather the storms and come out stronger for it.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1726
Posted From: 4.229.126.2
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

six run lead and Bonderman is letting it get away.........wtf?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago lost today so we can chill a little ...until tomorrow.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.