Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Norm Cash Show « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 68.248.14.222
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember it?
I have very vague memories of the late Tiger first baseman hosting a talk show on local television in the early 1970s.
It even had a catchy theme song, that went something like this:
"I'm a swinger, and I'll swing, swing, swing... And I'll do my best." Or something like that.
Can anyone add anything?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 869
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember he did color on the Tiger's cable station with Larry Osterman back in the early 80's.
Those guys could lull you to sleep on a hot summer night.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 216.93.121.82
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the show and the song. It was first class cheesy. My mother was a huge fan of Norm Cash. He was signing autographs at a Pontiac Mall store one day so we drove up. Looked all over until we saw him hidden back in the sporting goods dept. He was sitting there all by himself with this shit eating grin wearing a leisure suit. Wish he was still atound.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 977
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was quite the character - didn't he die by drowning when he fell in the water at a marina in Charlevoix??

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norm Cash being a big-time Tiger favorite, I couldn't wait for his show to air. Unfortunately, it followed the typical guest show format that didn't allow for any of the color he brought to his game. It was a big disappointment, but it was also admirable that local TV gave him the opportunity to put on a show. Remember the intro to the broadcast. The song mentioned above was accompanied by short film clips of Cash at the plate swinging away in various Tiger uniforms. Don't remember who he had on his show though. Still would love to see a rerun today.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1359
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Stormin' Norman lost his life when he fell into the water at his marina on Beaver Island.
He was checking the lines on his boat late at night.
He was a fan favorite and when asked "how are you doing?", he would always answer "I'm having more fun than the law allows".
I think he is credited with knocking one over the wall at Tiger stadium. Not too many have done that.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 68.121.84.162
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of his guests was on old time umpire, I can't remember his name. It was shortly after John Hiller had a heart attack, and Norman asked him if he was working a game that Hiller was pitching and had an attack in the middle of his delivery without throwing the ball, would he call a balk? Cash was a fun guy. I was at the game when Ryan threw the no-hitter at the Tigers. Cash came to the plate with a hunk of wood with a bunch of holes in it after striking out two or three times.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 65.188.49.231
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "...the Tiger's cable station..."

You mean PASS! Pro Am Sports System!! The Pre-Fox Sports Net Detroit local cable sports station! Its legacy lives on the awning of the Old Sheleighleh!!

(Message edited by border5150 on August 16, 2006)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 24.98.220.175
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, that hunk of wood was a piano leg and he told the ump that since he couldn't hit the ball with a bat might as well try the piano leg. This comes from some of the 68" Tigers I spent time with in a Fantasy Camp.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.