Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » DuCharme Place Partners LLC and 1544-56 E. Lafayette « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 68.250.2.207
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a zoning hearing notice on this - the developer is looking for a zoning variance to put 66 single family dwellings in 8 structures of 2.5 stories. Apparently deficient in the front, side and rear yards, also apparently too tall.

I take it that is this the replacement for Rochdale? Who's the architect on this? Is it Section 8 housing?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1991
Posted From: 70.237.10.225
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

The near east side is due for some changes in its housing stock. I wouldn't mind if the mid-density housing along Lafayette, Larned, and Vernor see some major changes. Strange that they would need a variance for 2.5 stories.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1065
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can go the the Public Hearing you can find out all the answers to your questions :-)

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 227
Posted From: 63.241.158.33
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DuCharme home was on originally on the corner of Jos. Campeau and E. Jefferson. There was a carriage house that survived until about 5 yrs ago when it met the same fate as the rest of the buildings. Is this the site of this proposed development?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 924
Posted From: 70.225.112.222
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's more than likely a side yard setback thing. for R6 (which is that whole area)designated areas, the minimum side yard setback is determined by a formula: length(feet) + 2(height)/15. they might want to get more units in than are allowed by setbacks, or the setbacks might prohibit useable floorplans.

an additional note: R6 is the most dense residential zoning in the city of detroit. these areas usually are not useable for single family or townhouse type development. sometimes, they are even laid out to disourage low-density development. (i'm talking about the original design, not people currently enforcing zoning.)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1816
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggybear,

Contact the phone number listed on the letter. You can go in and look at the documents that will be presented at the BZA hearing beforehand. I'm guessing that most of your questions will be answered in those documents. That's really the only way to get the info.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4147
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The architect is McIntosh Poris Associates. Doing more research on Detroit architecture and new development, I happened to get a reply back from Michael Poris, who informed me he's looking for people to attend the hearing to offer feedback/support.

He also informed me that the proposed 30 townhomes for Lafayette Park that they designed (of who I'm trying to find out who the developer will be) have already been approved by the historic commission and the city, though they are being held up by deed restrictions. He says the developer hopes to start on them some time next year, though.

http://www.mcintoshporis.com/l afayette-text.html

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 248
Posted From: 192.217.12.254
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure you're on the right side of the street, Lmich? Those addresses are on the south side.

I saw an elevation (thanks to one of my neighbors) that showed 4-story big-box style condos. Not modern at all. The issue for the zoning board was that the design was actually four and not 2.5 stories. Not that I have a problem with height, but the proposed development does not go with that part of the neighborhood. Maybe further down Lafayette.

That didn't look like what I saw in connection with the McIntosh Poris renderings from earlier. I was under the impression that M-P was doing the north side of the street. That's what the M-P site reflects as well.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not exactly sure, to tell you the truth. There are two developments going on in this area?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2005
Posted From: 75.10.25.111
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, after looking at those renderings...they can do better than that. Usually the renderings look the possible materials look better than what the finished product will be. With these, you can't even tell if they'll be using brick or cement or cardboard.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4161
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggy, I think we're getting some things mixed up. McIntosh is the architect for DuCharme Place, as well as for the Lafayette Park redevelopment, two different projects. The renderings I linked you guys to are of the Lafayette Park project, only, and I only posted them as a side not. I have no further information on DuCharme. I'll try to see if I can get a rendering from them.

Mackinaw, wouldn't place too much bearing on the renderings. They are quite old (at least two years), and I'd assume more of a concept/mock-up that have probably already been redesigned. In fact, much of their site hasn't been updated in years.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I believe it, Lmich.

I'm so torn on the Lafayette area, and all of the mid-century housing projects/developments of the east side for that matter. On one hand, they are very viable places where a pretty diverse crowd live, and they do showcase a sort of architecture (especially in 1300 Lafayette) which is considered significant. However, the urban fabric of the city was destroyed by this, inasmuch as the built environment itself creates an urban fabric. I don't think we'll see gridded streets and close-together homes and rowhouses in this neighborhood ever again, though.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll never be like what it once was, so we don't need to cry over this spilled milk, but anything to add further density to the already dense and popular (population-wise) Lafayette Park neighborhood is great news. These new developments are doing right by the district, and I'm happy to see an area that has remained largely stagnant since its creation is getting a breath of fresh air. Let's just put it this way, in terms of current residential development within the city, much worse is being built in terms of architecture.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll see about that last part. But yeah, you can't mess too much with what is, overall, a good area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.