Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Pick-pockets at Eastern Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 208.44.60.32
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was pick-pocketed (is that a word) at Eastern Market last Saturday (8/12/06)by 2 women. I know who it was because I was wondering why they were so close to me and talking to me. I told the police who said it is a common thing at the market. Just wanted others to know. I go down to the market 2-3 weekends a month and have never had this happen before. Although this could have happened anywhere I am tired of being taken advantage of. This summer alone I have had my bike and my son's bike stolen. Both were locked in my backyard and they cut the chain. They left a bike when they stole mine and then had the nerve to come back and take it (I caught the thief in my backyard and he took it and ran away).
I think the Royal Oak Farmer's market is sounding better and better.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4809
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like the master or pickpockets said to Oliver Twist and his agents, " I'm going to pick a pocket or two."

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1822
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any time you're in areas with large crowds, especially ones close together like Eastern Market, there's bound to be pick-pockets. It doesn't justify what happened to you, but it is a reality. It happens all the time at the Palace; Pine Knob; Ann Arbor Art Fair; Arts, Beats & Eats; etc.

I'd recomend what a sheriff told me before going on a trip to D.C. in 6th grade: put your wallet in your front left pocket. That's the hardest place for pick-pockets to get. I've done it all over the world anytime I've gone to places with lots of people. I've foiled several pick-pocketing attempts as a result.

As far as the bikes, this is an ongoing problem in Detroit. I've had my expensive mountain bike stolen out of my garage. The cops don't seem to care so nothing gets done about it.

Manrooter
Username: Manrooter

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've foiled several pick-pocketing attempts as a result.

Are you sure they were just trying to pick your pocket?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7735
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why did he use foil?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or you could do what I do... I keep my real money and credit cards in a zip lock bag in my front pocket... not even visible from outside my pants (sounds racy) but I also have a fake wallet - complete with sample credit cards that say "john smith" or "john doe" on them, and some funny money... i seriously can't wait for the next time someone picks my pocket or trys to rob me! yes yes yeS!!!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1824
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well all the pick-pocketers I've experienced have been women so maybe they weren't really pick-pocketing me!

As far as the foil, have you seen those full-body x-ray machines at the European airports? http://www.cbsnews.com/stories /2003/07/17/eveningnews/main56 3797.shtml The company that makes them is called Rapiscan. Enough said! You've got to protect the twig and berries from those things somehow!

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2101
Posted From: 150.198.138.127
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kiplinger, how do you know that you were pick-pocketed? Maybe you lost your wallet.

And if you were pick-pocketed, didn't you think it was strange that two women had their hands in your pants or did you think you were having a good morning?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2846
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about your loss. Pick pocketing in markets is probably second oldest profession. A friend of mine was pick pocketed there 25 year ago. I'll bet it happens at RO market too.

There term "hue and cry" derives from a system for catching pickpockets and thieves in days of yore. When a theif was spotted and tried to run, the merchants and others in the market would cry "hue, hue, hue..." wherever he ran so the authorities would know where to go.

"The more things change, the more they remain the same."

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2319
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny, I always thought we were free of such things here. (yes, how naive.)
When I lived in Mexico City, the pickpockets were amazingly talented....a few tricks that I learned (though they still got me once):
1.Put a rubber band around your wallet. This creates friction and makes wallet harder to get out of pocket
2. Carry a nice fat decoy wallet filled with paper in back pocket as Andylinn mentioned.
3 Pickpockets often work in teams, with one bumping you or causing a distraction while the other(s) go for you wallet or purse. Be wary of people standing too close, bumping you, holding open newspapers up to you, asking you to help them pick stuff up, etc

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 332
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine had his wallet stolen while in East Lansing celebrating one of MSU's basketball victories a few years ago. He felt the guy take his wallet and managed to grab him in time, unfortunately as he "taught him a lesson" (My friend is about 6 5" and 230+) the surrounding crowd stopped him as they did not know why he was punching the guy. In the end the scum bag got away with his wallet while the "good Samaritans" held my friend back.
I've had 2 people attempt to pick pocket me over the years and as a result I am always leery while in crowds. One was in Ybor City, Florida, the other in Novi while at Twelve Oaks. It can happen anywhere.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 969
Posted From: 69.212.51.35
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get sick of 'y-t' on this board talk'n bout' how you all got 'stuck-up', how your 'bikes got stolen', 'car got stolen', or how you 'got pick-pocketed'.___ GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF!__quit thinking that your 'white privilege' is going to protect you with'n the hard-knocks of the street rule. Your 'white-privilege' only works within the majesty of the law!...learn the rules of the street! Stop acting like you're 'mighty y-t'!

I watch you often, walking your little expensive dogs...jogging thru the streets, skipping thru the streets on the weekends with such unabashed arrogance and temerity, thinking that your 'white privilege' will protect you with the snap of your finger.

I'm not a robber, thief, or con-man, however I can sense from most of 'y-t'(especially detroit 'y-t') how unprepared of the streets you are. GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF, WILL YA'!__I understand that you faithfully believe you are protected within the white sheets of the ukkknited states of amerikkkana justice,(and that you are!)--go figure! However, the protection ain't gonna help you on the street!

Your 'overseers', that protect you with atom bombs, guns, nuclear missles and high tech jets, make you feel safe on the amerikkkan streets__ well I got news for you, the reality of the hustle of the oppressed victim by way of a capitalist system fused with your 'la la land' ideology of white sub-urbia opens the door for such nefarious activity where the victim of an oppressed system becomes the power over the perpetrator of the capitalist system. (think Robin Hood)

Your 'overseers' are not the in your back pocket to protect you from the 'bad guy'__infact, by the time you 'rat him out', the 'bad guy' will be working on his next victim.

Then too, it just came to me, perhaps that you Detroit suburban transplanted 'y-t's, might just desire(in a twisted way) to taste a little good old fashion 'school of hard knocks', just to call up and impress your buddies, pals, or dudes, back in hooterville junction!__go figure!

peace-out!

super d(motordetroit)

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 322
Posted From: 69.212.39.207
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a racist dick you are.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2642
Posted From: 4.229.105.48
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, he got all that out of a simple pick pocket experience... boy I bet Dave Chappelle would have a field day mimicking Super_d for new comic material...

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4153
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super D isn't a person, it is a cartoon. Hell, it's a badly drawn caricature.

D, you're so incredibly clever with your transformation of "whitey" to "y-t." Mas'a musta' tau't an' brought you up real good, huh? Even your Ebonics is superbly punctuated. Keepin' it real, huh? "y-t" must haunt you in your dreams every sleeping moment, and every waking hour. Still a slave, huh? I guess it kind of proves that the more things change the more they stay the same for some of us, huh? Yeah, good luck with that seething, consuming, hellish anger, and that learned slave mentality you still haven't been able to shake. lol

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 16, 2006)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1070
Posted From: 68.248.9.131
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell is right, to cite history, the Eastern Market is where the young punks of the Purple Gang got their start, stealing fruit from merchants, pick pocketing customers...in the economic boom of the '20s.

Anywhere there's crowds in a city, it happened...
Doesn't mean we should be complacent about it. It's yet another quality of life issue.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck! When we were in Rome, at the Trevi Fountain, there were hordes of gypsys "selling" junk while patting butts for wallets. I always carry mine right in hand. (wallet that is, not butt.)

(Message edited by mtm on August 16, 2006)

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just carry a travel wallet with neck strap. I wear one when traveling overseas and I can definitely see why wearing it anywhere there are large crowds is beneficial.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1282
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn, where can I get some of those fake John Doe credit cards?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2087
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They come in the junk mail you get every day.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1283
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I need to sign up for some more junk mail... :-) (actually I assumed those free credit card offers in the junk mail still have my name on them, haven't checked them lately though)

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 510
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're going to go as far as a decoy wallet, you should at least put a note in there for them.

Maybe Nelson saying "Ha Ha!"

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pickpockets and other lowlifes will scope you out to see where you keep your money. If you have a dummy "Rip-off" wallet, then make sure that is where you are reaching to get money to make your purchases. At eastern market I always go with a lot of singles, enough to keep wadded up in one hand so you can just peel a few off for the small purchases you make there.

I was always advised to keep some "robbery" money on me and make sure it is a decent amount. The last thing you want to do is piss-off a jonesing junky.

In the end it is the hassle of replacing the ID and the credit cards, & blue cross cards. If you have the capacity to make money, like all people should have, replacing money is not the biggest hassle.

By the way, How do I get a T shirt that says "Y-T" on it. I want one 5XL. This would be a great item for the DetroitYes on line store. Along with a coffee mug that says "Tear that schit down"

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1245
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who knew the market was such a treacherous place! I'm wearing my bulletproof vest next time

<---been going nearly weekly for the last 4 years, still have the same wallet.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 16, 2006)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i collect those fake cards for my decoy wallet. if you need some, seriously, you can send me a SASE - send me an email andylinn (at) gmail (dot) com and I will give you my address.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3984
Posted From: 71.156.15.166
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Decoy wallets? Sounds like a portable version of window bars. Given the probability of being pick-pocketed I'll take my chances without the inconvience of carrying around a bunch of extra crap from criminal scum (excuse oppressed citizens of the global diaspora) to take. Maybe I'll start packing a gas mask in case al-Quada drops some mustard gas on Eastern Market the next time I am there as well.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2089
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like someone needs to come up with the wallet sized equivalent of a lowjack.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1246
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A wallet chain would fix em, unless they do double duty as bike theives

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
And if you were pick-pocketed, didn't you think it was strange that two women had their hands in your pants or did you think you were having a good morning?
______________________________ ___________________

Merchantgander, you made me laugh so hard I almost spit my water onto my keyboard!

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3204
Posted From: 72.49.172.67
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long will Super D keep up his charade, when most of us know he's white.

Big Tone atcha.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 929
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I watch you often, walking your little expensive dogs...jogging thru the streets, skipping thru the streets on the weekends with such unabashed arrogance and temerity, thinking that your 'white privilege' will protect you with the snap of your finger.

sheer comedy! c'mon, now!!!

white folks skipping down the streets, and parading pedigreed chihuahuas, shih-tzus, lhaso-apsos, and afghans, in a blissfully arrogant and unawares extravaganza - discussing salaries and academic scholarships awarded to their bright and shiny kids, talking about the new homes and cars they just bought.

black folks, walking five abreast, defying traffic, and parading pitbulls and niners, in a blissfully arrogant and unawares extravaganza - discussing scams and hopes for sports scholarships, talking about maybe having a mansion one day, or a bentley - just like "hat," the crack dealer down the street.

now, these white folks come to visit the black folks and expect everything to be neat and pretty, despite clear signs that black folks despise parliamentary government, and believe that the biggest, baddest mofo owns the streets.

i say, nice job, super_d.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 64.32.219.138
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work at Vivio's and hang out around there all the time, and I've never had any problems...and i'm a girl by the by...well one time i did have a situation when some random drunk lions weirdo tried to jump into my car with me, but thats another story haha

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 208.44.60.32
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super D - I am not white. I stopped reading your post after that comment so I have no idea if you had any relevant comments.

I know I was pickpocketed because I purchased some eggs and my money was there and went I went to the next booth to purchase something it was gone. All of it. I probably didn't feel anything because there was a large crowd, everyone was bumping into people and I was pulling a wagon and trying to get out of people's way.
The point of my post was a head's up and BTW my money was in my purse so technically I wasn't pickpocketed. I was robbed.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2669
Posted From: 4.229.105.109
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kiplinger, sorry to hear about your plight. And as you stated, it didn't matter if you were white or African-American, a crime is a crime, and you wanted to give us all the heads up on your situation. Thanks!

But with your last post, you sure did make Super D look the fool!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm Super_d ... bitch."
I think we got the message... ya big dummy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.