Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit's nice neighnorhood's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.95.237.179
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told about the bad area's, so where are the good area's. I've been to Detroit a couple of times but to be honest I didn't see any nice neighborhoods. I'm not trashing Detroit, I think it's a great city but I'd like to know if there are nice area's.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2106
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of them

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 35.8.144.6
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston-Edison
Indian Village
Palmer Park/Sherwood Forest

There are other nice neighborhoods, but these are where the "big homes" are at.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2119
Posted From: 150.198.150.244

Detroit is one great big ghetto.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 878
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English Village
Rosedale Park
Grandmont
University District
Green Acres

Tons of them. Don't beleive what you hear...take a day and I'll give you a map.

Besides these neigborhoods...it's all in your viewpoint. I like it all...

Milwaukee

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your looking at the neighborhood by its architecture, it seems like every area in the city would be great. I'm talking about parts of the city that don't suffer from abandonment and high crime.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much does a house cost in English Village
Rosedale, Park Grandmont, University District, or
Green Acres?

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 24.192.27.161
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Woodbridge, just up Trumbull from old Tiger Stadium, or Corktown, which is just south of it. The northern end of the Cass Corridor near Wayne State is constantly improving.

Further out of the CBD, the University District, Green Acres and Rosedale Park are all quite nice. East English Village on the far east side is filled with sturdy brick homes and Lafayette Park just outside of downtown is popular among those whose tastes run more to the Bauhaus style of modern architecture.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1247
Posted From: 198.208.159.18

the art center neighborhood which is in the larger university/cultural area

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 547
Posted From: 69.209.147.170
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also add North Rosedale and East English Village as true 'nice' neighborhoods where good families raise their kids. They are not necessarily wealthy with 'huge' mansions, but they are 'wholesome' Detroiters who are here for each other.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2107
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so now you have a list of nice neighborhoods. What has it really given you?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are Green Acres and Rosedale Park in relation to downtown? I was just on google earth and I saw what looks like a nicer area. It's just west of the state fair grounds and north of palmer park.

Quinn

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there's 8...and they are pretty big pockets of the city.

Here's tons more when I googled...

http://www.cityscapedetroit.or g/Detroit_neighborhoods.html

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1076
Posted From: 75.10.4.241
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this link for neighborhood info & map: http://www.cityscapedetroit.or g/Detroit_neighborhoods.html

You can also go to www.citylivingdetroit.com and click on 'Neighborhoods'.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the links. I think everyone could understand this. I grew up in the north shore suburbs of Milwaukee and if I ever heard anything about Detroit, it was bad. I only heard about abandonment and crime. So, I'm really happy to hear some good things about Detroit.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 372
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.apostropheabuse.org /

Username: 1953

Post Number: 940
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck!

Milwaukee

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 69.95.235.189
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Hamtramck nicer than Highland Park? I know the two are next to each other, and Highland Park from the photos does not look nice

Quinn

Post Number: 884
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YESSSS...infinitely in my opinion (poke at Jelk...check another thread)

The vitality, vim and vigor of Hamtramck make it nicer, in my opinion, than Highland Park.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 515
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck is hoppin. IMO, a great, centrally located place to come to while you become familiar with the metro area. You may even decide to stay there.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2019
Posted From: 68.248.5.45
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee, most of the 'negative' responses you're getting on either of you're threads are actually sarcasm from irritated forumers who actually love Detroit.

For big, architecturally significant homes and safe neighorhoods, the answers are Indian Village (lower East side) and Palmer Park/Sherwood Forest (near West side at 6-8 mile).

For beautiful but not as large homes in equally as safe and walkable neighborhoods, you have the area around U of D High, Rosedale Park, Hubbard Farms, Warrendale--all west side, with Warrendale having less architecturally significant dwellings comparatively--and East English Village, Morningside, and West Village on the eastside. The Riverfront from downtown to the far eastside is interspersed with nice, usually older high-rises and a few newer, even gated subdivisions, all of which are pretty safe. Just east of downtown is Lafayette Park, your typical mid-century experiment in modern housing, with townhouses and high-rises around plenty of greenspace. This is also safe, and the neighborhood has some decent amenities.

Some neighborhoods closer to downtown that were fairly blighted but now certainly on the rise--and both contain some notable architecture--are Brush Park and Woodbridge. Corktown is very small but is also on the rise. Then there is Boston-Edison north of Midtown, with some of the most magnificent homes you'll ever see...but a lot of the homes need a lot of work, and only small portions of the neighborhood are completely walkable IMO.

The most expensive spots are in Palmer Park. Followed closely by Indian Village, but the square footage/$ here is absolutely remarkable, especially compared to similar size homes in nearby Grosse Pointe. Most of the other nice neighborhoods with modest dwellings are mid-range prices i.e. 100k to 300k. The options on the riverfront and Brush Park are very diverse. You can rent or buy; there are some steals, but then you have lofts and condos that are being marketed to yuppies and they get upwards of 300k. I believe some rehabbed brownstones in Brush Park sell for over 500k actually.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4832
Posted From: 198.111.165.50
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee,

Like the Ghettoman said, " ALL OF DETROIT IS A GHETTO. AND THE PEOPLE ARE A PART OF IT."

There are some good ghettohoods and there are some bad ghettohoods. It depends on the homeowners and the renters if they know how to take care of their properties. But to do that they need to take care of themselves and it starts with the family inside the home.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2022
Posted From: 68.248.5.45
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen on that last part, Danny.

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 68.21.61.1
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson Village!

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most paces listed you can find a really nice house 2000 sq ft for about 150,000 to 200,000 obviously mansions are over twice that.
corktown and woodbridge kown for Victorians and cottages. Colonials and tudors in the other areas listed. I would say Rosedale is the best for raising a family in terms of services like parks and sports for kids. But if you want to be close to downtown your best bets are, New Center Commons, North End of cass corridor, Woodbridge, Corktown, Lafayette Park, Brush Park(when its finished), Hubbard Farms. Mansions-Lodge Drive, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Boston Edison/Arden Park, Fairway Drive. Nice colonials and tudors- Rosedale Park, University District, Green acres, Grandmont, East English Village.

Oldest homes will be located inside the Grand Blvd Loop. Built inbetween 1900 and 1955 The Rest of the city on the outside of the Loop.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 69.215.242.247
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green Acres-Woodward is a great middle income neighborhood. Many very-long-time residents along with new residents with families. Nice mix of solid, interesting, if modest, architectural styles, and even some duplexes of impressive size. Great location just minutes from either downtown or Ferndale/Royal Oak.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2651
Posted From: 4.229.3.171
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for a nice middle class area that is much more affordable than the "Tudor" neighborhoods, with probably the best retail possibilities in Detroit, then the far east side (Balduck Park area) is hard to beat.

Of course that area is helped by being nestled next to the wealthy Grosse Pointes, which enhances retail and restaurant choices.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 3563
Posted From: 72.25.177.194
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee better not turn out to be a cat burglar:-)

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 970
Posted From: 69.212.225.187
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was told about the bad area's, so where are the good area's. I've been to Detroit a couple of times, but to be honest, I didn't see any nice neighborhoods. I'm not trashing Detroit, I think it's a great city but I'd like to know if there are nice area's.

translation....

I was told about Detroit's Black area's so where are the white area's. I've been to Detroit a couple times, and to be honest, I didn't see any white people. I'm not trashing Detroit, I think it's a great city, but I'd like to know if there are any white area's.

Hey 'Ras' the above is a perfect example of 'code-switching' that was so brilliantly lectured by you over on the hate thread__go figure!

super d(motordetroit)

(Message edited by super_d on August 17, 2006)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1844
Posted From: 70.228.57.79
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another website that has good info on Detroit's better neighborhoods:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/nei ghborhoods/Default.aspx

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Demographic wise detroits white areas? Only one I would even classify that way would maybe be Corktown. All of the other historic districs are pretty diverse. Corktown is diverse to though so There are No "white areas" Just many multi cultural neighborhoods.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 12.75.43.165
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty much all of the neighborhoods between Woodward and Wyoming and 6 Mile and 8 Mile look nice. The area includes some regular, middle class neighborhoods as well as very upscale ones. On the Fairgrounds side of Woodward, it's really bad between 7 Mile and 8 Mile, but there are some nice streets between 6 Mile and 7 Mile.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2398
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can buy a home in Green Acres, which is one of my favorites, for under 200k and that ia very nice home. Many go for much less. Next door in Green Acres is the more upscale Sherwood Forrest...those are more 230 + many of them are outstandingly beautiful. For more urban appeal I would choose Corktown or WOodbridge-home prices are all over the place but very reasonable.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1850
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown and SW Detroit are really the only truly diverse areas of Detroit. Corktown is about 1/3 white, 1/3 black and 1/3 Hispanic. Other areas of SW Detroit have lower numbers of white folks.

Outside of the SW Detroit area the white population is very low. It might surprise you to find out that many of the nicer areas of Detroit: Rosedale Park, University District, etc. have a lower white population than the city average. You wouldn't think that living there or visiting there since most white folks feel welcome in those neighborhoods, but the percentages are lower than even the very low city wide percentages.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 942
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would take "bad" areas to mean areas where there is excessive loitering, littering, and poor property upkeep. "Good" areas, conversely, include people who have things to do, pick up debris, and take care of their property.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.134.218.45
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jenniferL -
right on. the area you describe (6-8 Mile, Woodward - Wyoming) is a solid area that I've been around a lot. Seems to be full of the good middle class residents that the city desperately is looking to hold onto.

You have some great institutions anchoring the area which helps keep it up and enriches the city such as Detroit Golf Club, UD High, UD Mercy, etc.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need 2 be fair on this forum. There are neighborhoods that are not mentioned by some folks that are very nice well kept areas. What can make a neighborhood uncomfortable is that...the neighbors. Even in some surburban communities people have that 1-2 neighbors that get on your last good nerve because of how they are living. We just have people who don't think about what is meant to live in a home as you become part of the community.

Also, you forgotten that Warrendale and Old Redford has some whites who live in the city. Some live near the fringes close to Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Redford & Harper Woods.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10493
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit is one great big ghetto.

I agree with Merchantgander, Detroit is one big ghetto that should be nuked and started over. I wish they would build something like Novi's Fountain Walk instead of Campus Martius with parking surrounding it.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ SS & Merchantgander...If that's the case how about the entire Metropolitan Region since we can't agree on anything. All of us should die. (sigh)

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 204
Posted From: 67.149.141.170
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While google earth/maps is good for spotting vacant/parking lots, it's not good for seeing how nice a neighborhood is.

The best thing to do is to come here and drive through the city, using the neighborhood map and peoples suggestions here as a guide. But it's a long drive from Milwaukee.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting to hear the different takes on the different neighborhoods. I have to say that there is a lot of good information on this thread.

Being in East English Village for coming up on three years now, zip 48224 if you are looking up sales online, I believe that it is also a diverse neighborhood. I have heard it billed as the area where the police and fire department employees lived when there was a residency requirement.

And the home prices are around the figure that was posted earlier. While some of the houses like mine reach over the $200 K, it is the top end of my neighborhood. I think most well kept houses are selling between $100 K and $200 K, and the average square footage is probably more like 1400 to 2000.

An interesting thing I have been talking to neighbors about is that these houses have so much character. There is almost no way to write into comps the extra value that they have due to things like original hard wood floors, wood doors and windows that were never painted, wrought iron banister, wet-stamped plaster, and a marble fireplace.

The cost to put some of these things in a current home would be astronomical, but I think the house would get its comp value in location, rather than from materials and craftsmanship. It is just an interesting thought as folks are looking and realizing what a value these homes are.

Just some food for thought...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2654
Posted From: 4.229.105.170
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very true Magnasco, and like I mentioned in my post (about the Balduck Park area, which is the eastern tip of the 48224 zip code area), the proximity to all of the Mack Avenue and Warren Avenue shopping choices make this a nice area indeed. Plus you're only 5 minute drive from 3 hospitals (St. John, Bon Secours and Cottage) in case of an emergency.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had no idea the area was over there, and for exactly the reason that makes it such a gem. And that is that it is not on the way to anywhere. We have been nothing but impressed with our selection of the East Side.

Leidio
Username: Leidio

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 141.211.120.187
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to second Pam:

http://www.apostropheabuse.org /

Milwaukee, is it really that freaking difficult?

Jenniferl

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 12.75.19.150
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quickdrawmcgraw,
One of my friends lived in Old Redford during the mid-to-late 1990s. I wouldn't classify it as a white neighborhood, or even a mixed neighborhood. Driving around there, I only saw black people, although I know there were some whites (my friend's live-in boyfriend, the couple next door, a handful of old ladies) in the area.
I usually see quite a few white folks (mostly Baby Boomer age) when I bike through Green Acres, but not in neighboring Sherwood Forest. In any case, the people in both neighborhoods tend to smile and wave in a friendly way when I ride by.

Jenniferl

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 12.75.19.150
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quickdrawmcgraw,
One of my friends lived in Old Redford during the mid-to-late 1990s. I wouldn't classify it as a white neighborhood, or even a mixed neighborhood. Driving around there, I only saw black people, although I know there were some whites (my friend's live-in boyfriend, the couple next door, a handful of old ladies) in the area.
I usually see quite a few white folks (mostly Baby Boomer age) when I bike through Green Acres, but not in neighboring Sherwood Forest. In any case, the people in both neighborhoods tend to smile and wave in a friendly way when I ride by.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 70.212.7.254
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.palmerwods.org

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 67.149.141.170
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.palmerwoods.org/ (missed an "o")

That's nice that they have their own community website.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 448
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale is still a nice area. Very diverse. Still many cops and firemen living there. When I drive by my old house, I notice that not many houses have bars on the windows as do in many other neighborhoods. Streets and homes are well kempt. People are still very friendly. This is the area of Warrendale that is around the West Parkway and Tireman area. It's not a rich neighborhood, most are working class stiffs like the rest of us. Bungalows mostly.

Just my observations.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.