Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » MHSAA and sports seasons « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2889
Posted From: 69.221.69.190
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060817/SPO RTS09/608170426/1057

Court rules against MHSAA
Another appeal possible in fight over girls sports scheduling

As a part-time (depending on time) coach and former athletic department consultant (of sorts), this is an issue that is close to my heart. Apparently the Appeals Court feels that it is more important for high school sports in Michigan to mirror college seasons and most other states' hs associations (in certain sports), rather than provide equal (not identical) opportunities for girls to play sports.

The MHSAA is regarded as one of the top hs sports associations in the country. They know their stuff. You don't see a lot of the questionable behavior in hs sports here, that you see in some other states. They run a tight ship. The courts should stay out of this matter and let the state officials that know what is best for their constituents (the vast majority supporting the current alignment as well as the MHSAA's legal challenges) run their associations.

If this change goes through, look for participation (both girls as well as boys) as well as numbers of sports offered, to drop in Michigan. Schools will drop some freshmen and even JV teams because of facility/field, officiating, coaching, limitations.

That is the situation in other states. Although MI ranks 8th in number of hs girls, we rank 4th in girls sports participation figures (4th in girls vball, golf, tennis players; 6th in girls soccer, swim/dive; and third in girls bball players). Furthermore, contrary to the reasoning of some Grand Rapids Volleyball mothers (Communities for Equity), MI ranks very high in college scholarship numbers (6th in girls bball and vball) and recruiting (6th in D1 recruits).

*numbers are from the National Federation of HS Sports

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as much as I've been critical of the MHSAA in the past for some of their rules, such as the travel rule to play out of state teams I am with them on this one. Take Detroit, most HS facilities won't allow both Varsity and JV b-ball teams to practice and play games there's not enough time in the school day and not enough space. The reality is the girls will end up getting the short end of the stick in media coverage and facilities use when there season begins to compete with the boys. Is it right... of course not but I bet thats what happens when this change finally goes through.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2894
Posted From: 69.221.69.190
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also add that several other states are watching this case and have publicly said that they would actually switch to the Michigan season alignment if the MHSAA lawsuit is successful.

When you think about it, playing girls volleyball and girls basketball in a different season than colleges actually allows for an added opportunity for those college coaches to scout games here. Furthermore, Michigan is number one in the country in the number of girls hs volleyball matches, and 6th in girls vball scholarships.

Also, why haven't any state lawmakers/officials spoken out on this matter and/or filed briefs on behalf of the MHSAA (or their constituents, who overwhelmingly supported the current system)?

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

metrodetguy: the politicians aren't going to touch this one with a ten foot pole. As soon as they opened there mouths they would be thought of as anti-women sports. It would take too much political capital on their part to explain the reasoning behind what the MSHAA is doing. I don't aways equate different with being unequal. Like you said there are some advantages to this current set-up and plus I don't think a lot of girls b-ball fans are going to be happy once their seasons start to compete with the boys.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.