Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Terror suspects from Dearborn arrested in Ohio » Terror suspects from Dearborn arrested in Ohio - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder what these clowns were up to?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08 /10/terrorcharges.ohio.ap/inde x.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 ,2933,207795,00.html

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they were just going to sell the phones in their stores at huge mark ups.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ If that were the case, Osama and Ali could have saved themselves a whole lot of gas money by buying those 612 phones at Wal-Mart stores here in SE Michigan.

They were buying Tracfones, which are inexpensive, no-frills, pre-paid cell phones.

They also happened to have a Jordanian Airlines passenger manifest in their possession. Perhaps there is also a market for that in the Dearborn cell phone stores?

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cell phones can be used as detonators for IEDs. Lets hope that that wasn't what they were up to.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 71.126.177.38
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, they were just going to sell them at a markup; and I take a dump to smell roses. Wise up, we are in a war.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4771
Posted From: 198.111.165.50
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job FBI And the Dept. of HOMELAND UNSECURITY. Cracking down of Bin Laden's clowns is getting easier than I expected. Looks like the terrorists are getting weaker everyday. Big brother is watching you from all over the world.

Danny

Post Number: 4772
Posted From: 198.111.165.50
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the U.S. its open season for terrorists. So happy hunting.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1230
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two 20-year-old ex-Fordson High football players with $11,000 cash buying CPU chips (embedded within cheap cell phones) wherever in MI and OH. What's wrong with that? It's all the rage today.

Mikeg

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the cell phones used as IED triggering devices need to be activated and functional in the area where they are intended to be used. Unless they intend to plant IEDs in metropolitan areas of the USA, these Tracfones are useless as triggering devices.

These kind of cell phones are more useful to those people who need to make a hard-to-track international call. They use it once and throw it away.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello? It's not the phone they're after but its CPU chip...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4228
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is meant in this case, "Money Laundering?"

jjaba, always confused by pop art English.

Mikeg

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ to be used for what purpose?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has a coupole of telephones in the house. Why would two young guys buy 600 phones?
And what's a "pre-paid" phone?

jjaba, confused on the Westside.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 665
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the chips on a cell phone are completely useless without the others. Why not just place an order with digikey and call it a day?

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2798
Posted From: 70.237.162.213
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...

Why not buy those phones directly from the companies (or distributors rather than retail) that make them?

Why lie about your intentions during initial questioning?

Why all the cash instead of checks/credit?

Why all the airport and flight information?

Why don't they know more about the "person in Dearborn" that they were supposedly buying all these phones for?

...Sorry doesn't sound like legitimate business.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why not buy those phones directly from the companies (or distributors rather than retail) that make them?"

Obviously, you do not build anything... Speaking about one chip maker, Freescale Semiconductor: They don't sell in Radio Shack lots. Figure on close to a minimum lot size of close to 1000 or maybe a bit smaller. TI and others do likewise. I bet since 9/11, all manufacturers (with governmental assistance?) screen their customers.

But, they could buy from distributors in unit lots. These guys are not interested in using the phones, but instead they want their MCU innards.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 68.41.109.36
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not be so quick to assume anything now, especially if these two kids were born here and are graduates from Fordson.

I hope there was no terror plot afoot, and it was just something else, one the other hand, if it was a terror plot, glad they caught them.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was broadcast on WJR that one of the two was a former captain or co-captain of Fordson High's football team--either on Frank Beckmann's program or on Rush Limbaugh (ex San Diego mayor Roger Hedgecock hosting today).

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me make a prediction,we are going to find out that this had nothingg to do with terrorisim and more along the lines of something less neferious then supporting terrorism,something illegal nonetheless but not what has been reported today...mark my words.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1061
Posted From: 68.248.9.131
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Especially if the kids were born here"...

What does that mean? All the folks arrested in Britain today were native Britons.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 914
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think that the cell phones used as IED triggering devices need to be activated and functional in the area where they are intended to be used. Unless they intend to plant IEDs in metropolitan areas of the USA, these Tracfones are useless as triggering devices.

a triggering device only requires a power supply and a timer. if a cell phone is used, it doesn't necessarily need to be involved in a call. it just needs to have an alarm set, and many cell phones have that function. boom.

quote:

What is meant in this case, "Money Laundering?"

money laundering is the practice of obfuscating a source of revenue. for example, if i'm selling drugs, and need to deposit the gains - i might attribute the proceeds to cars i've picked up down south and sold up here at a profit, or maybe it's because i've had an increase in patronage in the restaurant i own (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). then again, i believe it was the waldorf-astoria that put their coins in the washing machines to make them bright and shiny for the customers, which is another form of money laundering. just be sure not to wash your hundred-dollar bills with your red socks (ha ha).

quote:

Why would two young guys buy 600 phones?
And what's a "pre-paid" phone?

a pre-paid phone allows an individual to acquire a cell phone without providing personal information, such as the credit information typically required for purchase of a subscription-based cell phone plan and/or cell phone. with a pre-paid phone, there are an allotted number of minutes for which the cell phone can be used; after that, additional minutes must be purchased. with a subscription, a predetermined number of cell-phone minutes are allowed monthly, but "overage" results in heavy fees being assessed. as such, users of these phones must provide credit info.

the idea was that people with bad credit histories should have access to cell phones too - hence, prepaid - but a consequence is that these phones are cheap, hard-to-trace, and disposable. someone attempting to escape detection could use such a phone for two or three conversations and then trash it.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1250
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do pre-paid cell phones accept incoming calls? I'm just wondering if they actually have a traceable number assigned to them. How would that work? Once the minutes are used up the phone number recycles? What if a few minutes were left on every phone - wouldn't that gobble up available phone numbers?

wondering how these things actually work

ps. Anybody notice the heavy duty police presence on I-94 this evening, roughly between Telegraph and I-275? They certainly weren't pulling over speeders.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 915
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

superdumperman said:

quote:

Let me make a prediction,we are going to find out that this had nothingg to do with terrorisim and more along the lines of something less neferious then supporting terrorism,something illegal nonetheless but not what has been reported today...mark my words.

some silly cell-phone scam? maybe; but with the airport data these people were reportedly holding, it's not good. it seems that these guys were being watched...and law enforcement decided to move in on something they knew was happening.

quote:

Two men were charged Wednesday with money laundering in support of terrorism after authorities said they found airplane passenger lists and information on airport security checkpoints in their car.

Deputies stopped Osama Sabhi Abulhassan, 20, and Ali Houssaiky, 20, both of Dearborn, Michigan, on a traffic violation Tuesday. They found the flight documents along with $11,000 cash and 12 phones in the car, said Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks.

Superduperman

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said its going to end up something being something else.......it my take awhile but what was really going on is going to come out.

Superduperman

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of this reminds me of what used to go on in Salem,I think the word is "Witchhunt"........I have a feeling there will be an influx of so called "foiled terrorist plots" in the news in the coming months.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4230
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl explains it really well. Thanks.

jjaba.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 3466
Posted From: 66.159.209.231
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, those witchhunts, that's the ticket - I remember one of them being named "Osama" too. It all sounds like an unfortunate coincidence - the airline lists, security layouts, 600 non-traceable cel phones, it all sounds like nothing, kids stuff.

And I feel better knowing that ever since 9/11, the outcry from the Arab community has been deafening - so many objecting to the actions of the 9/11 hijackers, anxious to make it known that they love the freedoms here in the USA just like everyone else - the pro-USA parades, flying American flags and all, and the loud campaign for English-only signs along Warren - why, let those poor boys go free, they're pro-USA patriots just like every other Arab in Dearborn!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3582
Posted From: 68.73.6.164
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,
You're blathering again... uh...ahh could you wipe your chin, the drool is disgusting.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6272
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every Arabic person I know is pro-USA.

Lately many of them have felt betrayed, starting way back from the way their community was assaulted after 9/11 to the pro-Israel skewed news coverage to our government obviously taking Israel's side in the Lebanese action.

That betrayal does NOT lend itself to continued blind adherence to a government, no matter how the rest of the country has treated them...no matter how well the economic system has allowed them to prosper...no matter how comfortable they are here compared to their homeland.

Betrayal begets mistrust, we have yet another group here that is mistrusting of our current administration, and in my eyes justifiably so.

Every one of them also cannot imagine even including these murderers in their religion...how vigorously does the Christian community defend itself against the KKK's use of bible verses to justify its actions...or other White Superiority groups, somehow Timothy McVeigh pops to mind...did the entire Christian community as a whole come out and have an outcry against them using the Christian religion as a cover for their evil?

I don't even remember the church coming out against Hitler's use of specific OT text to justify HIS actions in the 30s and 40s.

When you disassociate with someone or some group, and simply cannot imagine how any bystander can link them to you...who constantly wants to have THAT as their dialogue? It gets in the way of the stuff that truly needs be said.

Plus, in my estimation, middle-eastern logic when pressed by emotion is expressed curiously differently than most westerners understand. It takes serious effort to wade past the heavy emotional outflow to really listen to the logic of their defense...that silence you accuse them of hiding an assumed agreement with the terrorists is often actually a mute disbelief that you could make that assumption along with an unwillingness to argue with a bigoted fool or groups of them.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2817
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Likewise Gannon, wouldn't it be "fair" for non-Arab Americans to feel "betrayed" by SOME Arab Americans (or non-citizens that are in the country) support for Hezbollah? Likewise, wouldn't it be "fair" for non-Arab Americans to feel "betrayed" by SOME Arab Americans (or non-citizens that are in the country) less than vigorous denouncement of certain groups (terrorists, nation-states, etc.) that are anti-US? It's a two-way street.

Perhaps SOME people are incredible hypocrites (much like in real life), enjoying prosperity without actually feeling any real allegiance to the main source of that freedom and/or working from within to harm that source.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6274
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you, Metro, and agree with you.

Hypocrite might not be the proper term for someone like you describe...but I cannot dredge up a better one right now.

A few of the Lebanese people that I spoke with expressed their dismay at having to do business with Hezbollah when they were the only viable source for medical and schooling in the south of that country...the corrupt and useless government could not provide those services and this organization stepped up to the task.

WE see it only as supporting a group listed in our State Department as a terrorist gang, but some of them saw it as their only way to help their family back home.

It doesn't excuse their actions...as I talked with Mike in another thread when he detailed clearly how Hezbollah is considered by our government...but for most Muslim the basic tenets of their religion are to provide for the weaker in their society, and many of them saw this group as the only viable conduit for their alms...even moreso IF they were postioned for strength against their sworn enemy. (I do NOT agree with this posture, only am mentioning it as I heard it, I abhor ALL military and militia false signs of 'strength'...might does NOT make right in my book.)

Again, please do NOT misunderstand my words as an apology for them...I am merely relating MORE of the story as I've heard it directly from some of the more well-versed Muslim that I've been able to enjoy dialogue with...it is NOT easy to have a non-volatile conversation with them, as all of the Lebanese are terribly hurt by the overt wanton destruction of their homeland by Israel.

They don't stay demoralized for very long...and their snap-back defensive posture often allows them to excuse bad behavior on the part of their countrymen.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Likewise Gannon, I'm not sure that "steped-up" is a completely accurate way to describe Hezbollah's actions. If an entity greatly contributes to the demise of an area, and then comes into that area later and "helps it out", that isn't exactly a completely benevolent action.

Basically Hezbollah intentionally brought about the destabilization of that area so that it could later come in and take advantage of the situation ("helping out" this winning the hearts and minds).

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 68.62.6.138
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just arrested 3 more up near the thumb area...and investigators believe they were targeting the Mackinac bridge...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 60812/ap_on_re_us/phones_terro r_charges

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3547
Posted From: 69.209.135.249
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I might not want to walk the bridge on Labor Day. I'd be pretty fucked if some nut blew it up when I'm out there with thousands of others.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like the bridge would be hard to take down but a few walkers blowing themselves up in the crowd would get really ugly.

how long, you think, before there's general backlash against Dearborn residents?

(Message edited by lilpup on August 12, 2006)

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ali Houssaiky, the star RB from Fordson who got a scholarship to GVSU to play football. It's not like he was strapped for money.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The three men arrested in Caro, MI purchased 80 TracFones from Wal-Mart, purchasing them 3 at a time.

They also purchased phones in Wisconsin and Ohio. Why didn't the other cashiers at Wal-mart in Wisconsin and Ohio contact authorities?

Why doesn't Wal-Mart change their policy to only allow three phones to be purchased per day and keep track nation wide of who is purchasing these phones in bulk?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't the Feds just regulate these kinds of phones out of existance like they do so many other things?

Opus
Username: Opus

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 72.241.34.10
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, way to play right into the terrorist playbook.They want all of us to stay away from everything. Why don't we all just sit at home and worry about everything that they could blow up.

On the topic of regulating these phones out of existence, there is a fly in that ointment. First, the marketers of these phones make a boatload of cash and would do their level best to defeat any legislation. Second, these phones tend to be used by folks who for one reason or another cannot get a regular cell phone account. The cry of "picking on the poor" would be heard from one side of the country to the other.

Overall, there is no way either of these situations were legitimate business ventures. Eventually the truth will come out, and I will be waiting to hear what it is. My money is on these kids being setup by somebody to distract law enforcemnet from their real activities. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of these phones are not made in the USA anyway. Even IL-based Motorola has more manufacturing facilities outside of the US than here. These phones could be picked up overseas as it is.

I still think that these cheap phones would be cannabalized for their CPU chips and could be used by US terrorist cells. These chips have timers on board and communication peripherals on the chip. Rigging these MCUs up as programmable timer-detonators or via RF is child's play for even hobbyists. Part of what I do is write/edit user and reference manuals for embedded microcontrollers. The computing power of these 8/16/32-bit chips is truly amazing, and they are constantly improving.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on August 13, 2006)

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 64.7.187.215
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah- since they are paying cash- and not buying directly from a supplier- don't ya think they could get a better deal if they bought them wholesale from a supplier- but then- there's the paper trail-

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Good background info.

I really can't imagine that it will be long before the lack of overt response by Muslims in the US against Hezbollah and their ilk, (at least the responses covered by the press that the general public can see), will eventually create an outcry against the rather PC and kit gloves approach to the domestic threat of terrorism and who may or may not be a terrorist.

The Arab anti-defamation league's statement the other day regarding the Islamic-fascism comments by President Bush are a perfect example.

This would have been a great opportunity to come out and say, "America, our country and the land that we love is under threat by disreputable scum who are giving all Muslims a bad name and we are insulted by it. We as a group are and will continue to do everything in our power to root these scum out and eliminate them from our neighborhoods, our mosques and our country".

Instead, they chose to say that the indication that the terrorist threat is related to Muslims is inappropriate and that we should not be focusing our efforts in that direction as it is prejudicial (not a direct quote, feel free to correct me).

That kind of response leaves most people that I have spoken to less than comforted by the allegiance of our Islamic brethren.

Combine that with marches downtown supporting Hezbollah and a whole lot of people are scratching their heads.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2309
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took the Lutheran Church centuries to denounce the rabid anti-jewish ramblings of Martin Luther,
So at least give these folks a few months.
And if you're not feeling good about pro-hezbollah sentiments, maybe you should read up on the shaky government in Iraq that we have spent trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives to install.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4248
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Dearborn is making national news. The cops are showing off boxes of cell phone instruments, then boxes of chargers, transformers, and other parts separated. The are showing off stacks of $USD like we are looking at drug booty.

Somebody was up to something. This just ain't some minor business deal with these phones.
and why up in Caro, Michigan, Tuscola County in Michigan's Thumb region?

If it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, and tastes like a fish, IT'S FISHY!

jjaba.

Danny

Post Number: 4799
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" We are watching you, Arabs!" thus saith the Z.O.G.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 70.141.76.207
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are heading in the general direction of where economically suffering, psychologically downtrodden Germany was when Hitler seized the moment. I'm not going to rant on about this, but the ends do not always justify the means, and Arab-Americans are not rats streaming up out of the sewers. These two guys may turn out to be guilty as hell, but I am sniffing, in the air, a blanketing, pernicious racism. That kind of hate, combined with ignorance, leads to a very dark place. The really sickening part is that so many people seem to feel so God-damned good about going there.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These phone sales are probably some more underground economy activities, while dodging taxes, etc. But the potential for harm exists, so it's well and good that some Wal-Mart employees follow through and check for suspicious activity. Much espionage was thwarted during WWII in much the same way.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 70.141.76.207
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for that type of caution. It's the increasing venom toward the "AY-rabs" that worries me. Also, there has always been some friction, quite naturally, between the "Judeo-Christian World" and the "Muslim World," but we are seeing it become much, much worse, and we are looking at the possibility of a World War that will never, ever end. In fact, we're probably already there.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4258
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba appreciates the comments, being an ethnic minority hisself. Ofcourse, this shouldn't ever be about Arabs but about crime.

To blanket all of Dearborn as a bad place is a risk some muight jump to when two of their Fordson football players are up to something fishy. Yes, it could be legal and rational. But it sure is a strange behavior going around to Wal-Marts buying up all the phones without buying the pre-paid cards to make them actually work like regular customers do.

To see another side of Dearborn, be sure to tour the Arab-American Museum there. It is excellent. On Michigan Ave. downtown Dearborn.

jjaba.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4130
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised people don't know about the shady cell pre-paid cellphone trade. This goes on all of the time. The people just happened to be Arabs, buying up cellphones in a small town; a bad combination.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 601
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this story is becoming an embarrassment for all sides. The well-meaning but officious WalMart (surprise) employee in rural Michigan puts on his Nancy Drew cap and figgers out the plan....to insert 1,000 cell phones to trigger..what? 1,000 firecrackers? On a relatively low-traffic/low-profile bridge with little symbolic meaning outside of those living in the thumb, a couple of Northern states and Canada? This may have been a bit of an over-reaction....you will note that the FBI has held back a bit and let the local yokels run ahead. The pre-paid/under the radar cell phone trade is easy money for alot of folks....arrest for that if you must, but the Mackinaw Bridge? Talk about sounding the alarms. It would have been interesting to see how these guys planned to install 1,000 cell phone detonators across the span...must have been quite the operation.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 434
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It would have been interesting to see how these guys planned to install 1,000 cell phone detonators across the span...must have been quite the operation."

Or a dozen or so guys using box cutters to take over planes and crash them into buildings?
It's easy to say it's an overreaction after it's investigated, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why blow up the bridge? Why not blow up the several thousands of people who will be walking it later this summer? That's a plan that might be considered. Especially when the governor walks/trots across.

I'm certain the security will be tight for this year's event.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4132
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just another form of American paranoia. Not that the FBI shouldn't have checked this out, but the media was milking this for all they are worth, and it's sad.

Let this be a message to any Arabs that every decide to visit the Mighty Mac, and have photos of it and maps in their cars or houses. *sarcasm*

America always needs a scapegoat. First Majority America were afraid of slave revolts in the South (and continue to this day to fear a Black uprising), then it was Irish and Eastern European immigrants, then it was the Japenese during WWII, then it was "Communists" during the Cold War, now it's Arabs and illegal Mexican immigrants. It just makes me sick. We've taken due vigilence to a whole new level of paranoia. Why all the fear? Guilt, maybe?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glen Beck on CNN making Dearborn sound like Camp Hizbollah - at least he admits he's not a journalist and doesn't have to be politically correct.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why should anybody have to be politically correct? That PC definition only bends left anyway.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4133
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd wish people would be less politically correct. As well as making for more honest discussion, it would make it easier to spot the covert bigots. :-)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd wish people would be less politically correct. As well as making for more honest discussion, it would make it easier to spot the covert bigots."

Then tell that to those who are PC. Hint: They're usually leftists or those who mysteriously fear them or want to please them.

Mike

Post Number: 716
Posted From: 68.41.93.235
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone else notice that this board is being split into left and right. as soon as someone disagrees with somehting its "left."

listen, you dont like arabs, dont care for the muslim regligion, thats your choice. just come out and say it. dont beat around the bush, and dont start screaming lefty at anyone who denounces bigotry, slavery, freedom of speech, and tolerance.

sept 9/11 happened because of two reasons (there are more, but I cannot count past the first two)_

1. US foreign policy
2. US immigration, and airline secruity not doing their job correctly.

so how did we decide to combat terroism.

1. screw up foreign policy some more
2. add more levels to the secruity system that have shown to confuse the matter.

and with all that, we have also started to plant the seeds of becoming an intolerant police state. pissing on two fundemental values of the country, seperation of church and state, and everything that is so wrong about the "patriot" act.

Radical islam is old, its nothing new, just like radiacl anything. we just happened to devolop them as an enemy more recently. oh, and btw, hezaballah was tame compared to the others out there with no threat to americans. i just hope that does not change, with hezaballah jumping on the talaban band wagon.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, Mike just cannot grasp that some Islamofascists might be outright evil and plan on killing as many as possible who aren't like them. Instead, it's blame US foreign policy and more such BS. But, I'm not surprised in the least at this.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4134
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Groups like Al Queda will try to strike us regardless of our policy in their region of the world. But, at the same time, we don't need to be giving them what would seem legitimate reasons in the moderate Arab and Muslim worlds. Al Queda would be SO much less popular, thus weakened in what they could pull off, if we could take away even half the fodder we give them. U.S. foreign policy is a legitimate cause of contention in that area of the world. We can argue to the degree that it plays, but you can't argue that it adds fodder for those that wish to hurt us. If we're creating as many terrorists as we're killing (and we're probably killing less terrorists than we create) than this "stay the course" policy is not only ineffective but working directly against our own national security. It is not up that we're shooting ourselves in the foot. We are. That said, Al Queda needs to be rooted out and destroyed, outright. They don't want negotiations anymore than the Nazi's wanted to be leveld with and negotiated with in WWII. But, we have to do it in a smart way, and learn how to effectively manuever the world, or proceed with our current inherently flawed plans at our own peril. Bush is easily one of the least capable persons to lead this hunt, though.

Slightly off subject, especially considering the FBI goof-up, today, but it needed a response.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<-----Put it on the other side!!!!!

Livedog2

Pffft

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the Mackinac Bridge is in the Thumb? Thanks, CaseyC, for the geography lesson...

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 541
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm less concerned about the MASTER PLANS by terrorists and more concerned about the drunken American Captain at the helm of a freighter (Exxon Valdez) passing through the straits of Mackinaw and running into the bridge or a drunken ferry Capt in New York City. Or the truck loaded with fire works with no hazard placards going over the the bridge or through the tunnel. Hmmmm

Caseyc

Post Number: 602
Posted From: 65.27.144.253
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never said that....read again. It obviously means a lot when the WalMart-inspired posse commitatus learns that arab-americans are purchasing cell phones and immediately deduces that the Mighty Mac must be in danger..("c'mon everyone...to the bridge!!")...as such, and as I noted, the bridge must hold a lot of symbolic meaning for folks in Caro proper and the Tuscola County prosecutor's office, among other locales (as it is the first target they think of...as opposed to, say, a plot to destroy the world's largest man eating clam...or the st. ignace mystery spot..or the shrine in the pines...etc)....

Mike

Post Number: 717
Posted From: 68.41.93.235
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wont disagree that al-quada are some what crazy and should be stopped. all i am saying is that we are giving them the fuel for their fire.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2316
Posted From: 68.252.132.176
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

caseyc, you are on to something: They hate us for our Mystery Spots!

Caseyc

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"those with the power to make water run uphill shall one day rule the world!!!"

um..Author Unknown...

Pffft

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On a relatively low-traffic/low-profile bridge with little symbolic meaning outside of those living in the thumb, a couple of Northern states and Canada?"
I'm still puzzled over what special bond you think the Thumb has with the Mackinac Bridge.

Superduperman

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow......so they dropped the charges...

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They bought that stuff with cash? Interesting.

As a side note, just a few weeks ago a middle-aged middle-eastern man tried to withdraw $3,000 in cash at a small suburban bank branch I was at.

I honestly can't think of why a person would need to make a withdrawl of that large amount sans skirting the law in some way.

Superduperman

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well the fact that it was in the bank makes what you're saying a moot point,if he was trying to do something I don't think he would have it in the bank......also why is it anybody elses business what he needed the money for,it's his....

(Message edited by superduperman on August 14, 2006)

Lilpup

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see considerably more than $3,000 cash tossed around at the casino on any given night

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superduperman, fair enough. I should never think what I, or anyone else, could do with $3,000 cash.

Because that would leave me about $997,000 short of being able to do two chicks at the same time. And that makes me sad.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2844
Posted From: 69.221.78.208
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrorism charges were dropped because "there was not enough evidence". That's not the same thing as being found completely innocent.

The lying to investigators charges remain. Recall that they initially told a couple of different stories about their intentions.

Also recall that they were caught smoking marijuana while driving.

Futhermore, their mother deserves a nice long look by authorities. She works at the airport and had security manuals and passengers lists left laying around in the car.

They were up to something illegal, maybe not quite to the level of direct terrorism, but they need to watch who they are associating with and their own behavior.

Superduperman

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

misdemeanor charges of obstruction of justice.....wow.....sounds like they will charged with lying to the police,alot of people lie to the police everyday and it does not make the news. Lets see 2 young Arabs pulled over in a small town already scared because they are smoking weed,who here would be forthright with the police at 20 years of age,be real.

Superduperman

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks,

1 million dollars to do 2 chicks? thats about 1 million dollars too much. Its much easier than you think,the moons just have to be in alignment.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2846
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the contrary, Super, you need to be real. Why lie about your intentions with the cell phones, regardless of the pot situation? And please don't overly simplify an issue that has/had all the elements of a lot of trouble.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the "Little Green Footballs" website:

More Cell Phone Purchases
A reader emailed on Saturday to let me know that he had personally seen (and reported) two Middle Eastern men purchasing a large quantity of untraceable cell phones at a Sam’s Club store in Tucson, Arizona. Today this incident is in the Tucson news, as police try to locate the men: Tucson authorities looking for 2 Middle Eastern men. (Hat tip: natureboykerry.)

Law enforcement sources confirm to News 4 that Tucson Police have issued an “attempt to locate” on two Middle Eastern men in their 20’s who purchased nearly 50 phones from Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart in Tucson.

Sources say the men made the purchases on Saturday and Sunday.

There’s been a number of arrests nationwide with very similar circumstances.

News 4 is not linking this case with the national cases, but we do want to point out how similar they are.

Arrests have been made in Michigan and Ohio and there are reports of large numbers of cell phones being sold to young men fitting the same description in Wisconsin.

According to our reader, the Sam’s Club manager said they had confirmed 137
phones for Saturday morning alone, not just the 50 reported above.

UPDATE at 8/14/06 6:36:51 pm:

In March last year, LGF reader reaganite sent the following photo from Iraq, with this explanation:

The EOD team leader didn’t know it was an IED. He was just going to do a BIP (Blow in Place) of ordnance. He returned after the explosion to do a post blast investigation and discovered what is in the picture.

(Go to the website to view the IED-I can't copy it.)

This is why these cell phone stories are in the news.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the usual bail for being caught with pot anyway? The TV news said their bail was reduced to $1000 on the lying charge. Did they get off altogether on the pot charge?

Superduperman

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom line,the police were wrong and what was reported was wrong,period. Whatever happened at the police station during the interrogation/interview with these 2 guys isn't even an issue. Elements of trouble? Sounds more like police over reaching and thinking too hard,the whole "Better safe than sorry" argument(even if we have slander and violate the persons civil rights in the process) is unacceptable,the police had to save face and still charge them with something even if it is putting the cart before the horse.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2847
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cells phones, check.

Lying to police about the purposes of the cell phones, check.

Smoking marijuana while driving, check.

Passenger lists and airline security info in the car, check.

Period.

So what were the police wrong about (other than possibly a direct terrorism link, then again, these guys may be unknowing middlemen for someone else's sinister plans)? Also, what was the media wrong about?

Superduperman

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrodetguy you right and everything that was reported this evening was wrong. Here is a fact for you,they are being released......legitmatley suspected terror suspects who are on all the major news channels usually arent released in such a short period of time 5-6 days.....

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2848
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super, I am right because I am reporting exactly what was reported by the media. You are wrong because you are not reporting the media reports accurately.

The suspects will be released pending posting of their bond. Again, all factors (cell phones, lying to investigators, smoking while driving, and passenger lists/security manuals) reported were accurate.

Superduperman

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08 /10/terrorcharges.ohio.ap/inde x.html
"Two men were charged Wednesday with money laundering in support of terrorism after authorities said they found airplane passenger lists and information on airport security checkpoints in their car"

Money laundering and support of terrorism was what was reported which was not the case,how am I wrong?

(Message edited by superduperman on August 15, 2006)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2849
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super,

The media reported THE SUSPECTS CHARGES. How were they wrong?

You claimed that the suspects were being released. That was innacurate. Released and released on bond are two entirely different matters.

Futhermore, you were wrong for claiming that the police "wrong". Not having enough evidence is not the same as being completely innocent or "being wrong". Also, the police were quite correct on the lying to investigators charges and finding the suspects smoking while driving.

The police were also quite correct in their initial suspicions (all those cell phones, suspects lying about them, and flight lists/manuals are legally "reasonable suspicion").

Superduperman

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow....I'm not going to debate their release,I think if they had enough money to buy 600 cellphones their bond of $1000 wont be a problem,needless to say they will be released. As far was what the media reported was never a point in our discussion,so don't try and reframe the argument(nice try though). The police were correct? In what way? Please explain what the poice were right about but didn't charge these two with because usually if the police are correct about something pertaining to a crime I have never heard of the suspect not being being charged with it,maybe on the bizzaro world you live but not here. Why does it seem like all these recently reported arrest end up not being what was reported in the begining? The police owe them a appology. Also if you read my very first post in this thread about this you'd see I was correct in what I predicted.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2845
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cells phones, check.

Lying to police about the purposes of the cell phones, check.

Smoking marijuana while driving, check.

Passenger lists and airline security info in the car, check.

Period.

Period? You mean they have been tried and convicted of those charges like they were of the 'terrorist' charges?

LOL @ at all the Barney Fyfe local yokkkel chiken littles seeing terrorists behind every tree - as if they would be of any interest to any real terrorists. Besides, why go all the way to the Big Mac when we all know the real target is Frankenmuth? Suckers.

This is what happens when the Amero-fascists whip up weak minds - classic lynch mob mentality.

I don't know about you all, but the only charge that I see standing is DWA, Driving While Arab.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4261
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks, 96, was funny. jjaba's girlfriends will do you for $200 and no charge for the STDs. Use a pre-paid cell phone to call them. They live just off W. Warren Ave., Dearborn, Mich.; Tifahni, and Filisha.

jjaba, LOL.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2851
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, where were you when Super made erroneous claims about the media and police being wrong? You know that when I repeated Super's "period", it meant that the facts of the case were not in dispute, not questioning whether the charges would lead to a conviction.

Funny that you are so passionate in calling the Bush Administration incompetent for not "connecting the dots" (among other things), but when a case where all of the facts lead to more than reasonable suspicion, you mockingly dismiss it. And once again you mockingly dismiss law enforcement officials/military that are out there putting their lives on the line.

Super, I can see that there is no legitimate debate with you because you are dishonest. You are the one that is trying to constantly reframe the discussion and playing dumb. Not even a nice try, rather feeble actually.

Amazing how some people who claim to be so supportive of security, rights, and freedom, (especially in this time) dismiss lying to law enforcement, especially given the potential seriousness of this matter.

It's also funny that some of the same people on here that are so passionate about drinking and driving so easily dismiss drug abuse while driving.

Bottom line, those guys need to be a lot more careful. They don't seem to know too much about "the guy in Dearborn" to whom they sell the cell phones. Perhaps they are unknowing middlemen for something more sinister. The driving under the influence and lying to law enforcement matters speaks for themselves. Also their mother needs to be a lot more careful with airline/airport security related materials.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for all you know that airline/airport security related material is obsolete

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can bet that if a Homeland Security official left documents/manuals in his/her car and that person's kids were stopped while driving under the influence and lied to law enforcement about suspicous items in their car, there would have been an uproar from the same people defending the young people from Dearborn.

Superduperman

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everytime I said "they" it was clear I was talking about the police you brought up the media,I could care less about what the media reported,they were only reporting what law enforcement told them which ended up being wrong. Metrodetguy are you with law enforcement,the reason I ask is because your respones seem a bit self-righteously tinged usually associated with the police, Alot of law enforcement seem to think that the ends always justifies the means,even if whatever methods were used didn't bear any fruit. I'm just tryin to get a better idea of where you coming from.

Superduperman

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well their parents dont work for Homeland Security,the materials that were found probably ended up not being what they thought they were in the begining,I think before they reported this to the media they should have gotten all facts straight instead of releasing information that later turns out to be false,ie...support of terrorism

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all probability, these guys with $11,000 cash are allegedly running a "cash business" while keeping clear of the tax men at various levels of government. They will probably share in the same predicament that plagued Al Capone.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plus the one kid has a football scholarship to Grand Valley, right? It's possible if he was above board in selling the phones it could be an NCAA violation

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4136
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is most likely. It surprises me that so many are surprised at, or clueless of, the fact that this stuff goes down every day. These individuals just happened to get caught up in the media paranoia and sensationalism of the times. This is how many of these cellphone shacks in the hood work. Alot of their merchandise is resale from big retailers, and even stolen a lot of the time.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Facts of the case and legal charges are two different matters. I ask again, what facts (not legal charges) did the media or law enforcement get wrong? Were they not admit to being high while driving? Did they not originally lie to law enforcement? Did they not have cell phones? Was there not flight/airport information in the car? Did the media report the wrong charges?

Super do you have anti-law enforcement leanings? I ask because your postings have a self-righteous lean as well as the sense of pushing a particular ideology and political stance.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup/Lmich, according to media reports, the one student was recruited for football at GVSU, however, he ended up attending WSU.

Also, if a student-athlete used his/her own money in buying (and selling) phones on the side, it would not be an NCAA violation.

Superduperman

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the law :-). I don't like when the law is overzealous. I just hate when people are profiled,whether they are black,white,arab or anything else. If 2 black men were pulled over while smoking weed,had airline materials and told the police they bought 600 cellphones I'm pretty sure terrorism would have not popped into their minds,they would thought it had it something to do with drugs(more profiling). I'm glad this got resolved before it really got out of hand now the lawsuit can began.........yaaaaaaaaaaaay

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4138
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro, I never said they weren't doing anything shady. In fact, I said more than once that they were. Point being this "guilty until proven innocent" on terror charges you keep pushing is ridiculously biased. A mountain was turned into a mole hill, and you know as well as I do it was because they were Arab. They were pushing cell phones and cell phone chips and got caught. That hardly warrants extra surveillance of the Mackinac Bridge. But, this administration is going to pimp terrorism for all its worth.

Jams

Post Number: 3624
Posted From: 68.73.4.135
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As per Freep article:

quote:

Searching their vehicle, police said they found a private security guide for Royal Jordanian Airlines. But the family said the guide was there because Houssaiky's mother worked in the airline industry.

Of course, no one would ever leave information given to them by their employer in a car.

Or leave Department weapons in an unlocked truck as they attended a baseball game, would they?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2861
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMich, I never said that the young men from Dearborn were guilty until proven innocent. I said that they were up to some illegal things (true) and that the initial facts of the case were suspicious and warranted investigation (true).

You know as well as I do that some people were irresponsibly dismissing their suspicious activity in order to promote political correctness and promote a particular political ideology. If this were a different administration in DC, today's detractors would have hailed them (Democrats) as being cautious/actually doing their job and connecting the dots.

Also, you combined two entirely different cases (Michigan and Ohio).

Finally, did their Arab descent play a role? Of course it did, anyone that says to the contrary is naive, lying, or both.

Again, I will point out that the (innocent) people who are out buying these phones to make a profit and selling them to another party need to be very careful of who they are dealing with...they could unknowingly be a part of something much more serious (terrorism, drug trade, etc.)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, again acting as an apologist. There's a big difference between leaving the Applebees training manual in your car and leaving highly sensitive documents/manuals in your car while your kids drive around in it under the influence in another state. The latter represents a major lapse of security protocals.

Also, if you're going to attempt to make moral justification comparisons, at least be accurate. The case that you cited involved a weapon stored under the seat (out of view) of a locked vehicle (that was broken into). Likewise, there have been cases of criminals breaking into locked, marked police vehicles and stealing a weapon. So the two instances, once again, aren't really related.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2847
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for a remake of "In the Heat of the Night".

quote:

Police Chief Bill Gillespie:
Do you know what I'm gonna do, Virgil? I'm gonna take you to Brownsville and put you on the bus myself.

Det. Tibbs:
You aren't taking me anywhere. You dig? You're holding the wrong man!

Gillespie:
The wrong man?! I got the motive, which is money, and the body, which is dead!

I can just imagine the snickers going on around the FBI water coolers over these cuffed-down local yokels with egg all over their face.

This is sounding like an argument to have these bumblers disarmed alla British bobbies.

Jams

Post Number: 3627
Posted From: 68.73.4.135
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How am I an Apologist if a couple of kids get picked up and their story is spread all over the media and all they are charged with is a misdemeanor?

Shit, where are the stories of white kids with the loads of materials in order to make Meth are arrested and the Coast Guard and any thing else is put into action under the cover of a "possible terrorist threat".

Just don't buy the hype.

Caseyc

Post Number: 606
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

although we are blurring the incidents, the cellphone/Mighty Mac episode and ensuing dialogue highlights the tightrope law enforcement is trying to walk....actually, more like a slippery slope...and while some feel comfortable in the notion that WalMart employees and rural dep-you-ties in the Thumb region are the grassroots level "eyes and ears" of homeland security, others may cringe a bit at the mob mentality and accompanying loss of civil liberties which may ensue. that's the tension that has been going on for some time now since 9.11 and I don't think it is going to lessen any time soon, that's for sure. It's a typical left-right civil liberties battle....now everyone to your corners....

Superduperman

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they should not be allowed to own gas stations either because as you know gasoline can be used as a explosive but I don't hear about any raids on gas stations.....

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2320
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

give the barney fifes and the fear pimps another few months...
Super duper is on to something...gas stations also sell Better Made Potato Chips, which are cooked in cottonseed oil, a known accelerant.
A terrwowist could reak a lot of havoc with a few dozen bags of the flaming hot flavor chips....
And we all know how Al-Queda works, don't we?
multiple, coordinated attacks.
We could wake up tomorrow and all the Fudge Shops could be in flames.
Gasp.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 68.42.164.121
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:-)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4143
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone alert Homeland Security. The target: every last bag of those wretched Better Made Potato Chips. Boy of boy, the "Security Moms" would have a field day with that one.

But, in all seriousness, why does Majority America fear nearly everything? It's lost on my. I can see someone being vigilant in protecting this country from another terrorist attack, but where is the perspective? And, why must this go beyond legitimate concern, to full-scale paranoia. If this administration has been effective in nothing else, it's helping augment and pimp a toxic social environment. The Politics of Fear have been in full swing for far too long, without even thinking about any of our just as pressing social priorities.

Caseyc

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mentos and diet coke (a lethal combination) are also sold at these so called "party stores."

Superduperman

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 68.42.169.160
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus,no!!!!!!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1833
Posted From: 70.228.57.79
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As expected the trumped up charges from the small town cops were dropped:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060815/NEWS99/ 60815020

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2864
Posted From: 69.221.65.94
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich, the exact opposite could be argued about the 1990s. Being too relaxed and not taking terrorism threats seriously greatly contributed to many of today's problems. That too was a political stance. Perhaps more vigilance could have prevented suspicious characters from receiving flight training that led to 9/11. Perhaps more vigilance could have prevented the large sale of fertilizer that led to OK City. (Good thing one of those "yokel locals" caught McVeigh).

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4145
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a middle ground between too lax and over-reaching and overly invasive power grabs. Bush has not found that, nor does it ever hope to find it, period.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2865
Posted From: 69.221.65.94
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMich, are you saying that the country was at that middle ground prior to the Bush Administration (during the Clinton Administration)?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4146
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Nor had it been for many years before him (Bush I, Regan...) An underreaction doesn't warrant an equal overreaction.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can see someone being vigilant in protecting this country from another terrorist attack, but where is the perspective? And, why must this go beyond legitimate concern, to full-scale paranoia.

Because the nonstop news media need something to fill time. CNN had at least two pieces on the arrests. Have they had anything yet on charges being dropped?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 438
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of what Bush does or doesn't do he's going to catch hell from you people on the left. Right now he's being overzealous, but when the next terrorist attack occurs you same people will be the ones screaming the loudest demanding to know why he didn't do more to protect the country.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.