Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Brazen daylight copper thieves strip houses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6655
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PONTIAC - Copper is attracting the attention of some thieves in the Pontiac area.

Police are getting reports of at least 10 copper thefts a month in Pontiac, said Detective Sgt. James Martinez of the Pontiac Police Department.

Thieves are brazen, said Martinez. "They're doing this in the middle of the day."

James Loyd, owner of Clarkston-based Dixson Metal Processing, has watched scrap copper double in price in a year.

"Last year it was $1.15 a pound (for the top grade) to $2.30 this week," Loyd said.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com /stories/081806/loc_2006081840 .shtml

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1762
Posted From: 69.208.113.97
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing happened at a church in Palmer Park, to an elderly lady on the eastside, and at St. Anne's Gate - a new condo development next to St. Anne's Catholic Church.

There needs to be a city ordinance or state law making it a crime for any junk yard dealer to accept copper from someone who is not associated with a legitimate company or business that handles copper or metal salvage.

Too often, junk yard dealers accept these metals without asking the seller any questions about where the stuff came from. If you fine or punish the junk yard dealer for accepting this stolen property, then maybe the incentive for thieves to steal copper and other metals will stop.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 67.38.28.69
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has Royce ever been to a scrap yard? No CFC's allowed signs everywhere but truckloads of refrigeration devices coming in daily. Good luck with that legislation. Ever greater luck with the enforcement when they aren't even interested in setting up stings for these daily crimes (better have your seatbelt fastened on Sunday mornings though...)

Royce

Post Number: 1763
Posted From: 69.208.113.97
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Buddy, enforcement may be non-existent now but something has to be done. St. Anne's Gate is a brand new condo development. Everything is obviously new. In the past you had thieves stealing from abandoned buildings that had years on them. Now you have copper thieves stealing copper from newly installed central air conditioning units.

What's the solution? Will developers have to build the units off the ground on a second floor deck(which I thought I saw somewhere)? Even if you cage the a/c units in some kind of fencing, the thieves can simply cut through it like they did at the church in Palmer Park that I mentioned in my earlier post.

This is the kind of crime that causes many folks to leave Detroit or not move in because it goes beyond the typical kinds of crimes that you expect in a big city. As a city dweller you might expect someone to try and steal your car or try to rob you while leaving the bank. However, you would never expect someone to try and steal your central air conditioning unit. What's next, the stealing of the house itself?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2661
Posted From: 4.229.105.170
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, like the idiots stealing the bolts anchoring the light poles in Detroit. Although I don't know if those new "skirts" around the poles are helping any.

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.246.43.37
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, is that what the plastic around the poles are for? Learn something new everyday.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4173
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised this got this kind of press, yet when the entire roof of the prominent Lee Plaza was stolen you barely heard the media (or the preservation community, for that matter), make a peep. The new owners of the Book Tower better be on guard. lol

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 969
Posted From: 69.14.126.173
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happened in North Corktown to a few of the new houses. Happens all the time to the Habitat developments. Last time it was furnace and AC units.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 170.232.128.10
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, I doubt if too many of us would mind them stealing the Book Tower fire escape. Lots of iron there. Actually, I'd be happier if they slipped and took a header off the top of the Book Tower.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 68.41.116.2
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with making legislation like that is ppl like me who scarp metal from ppl trash and such for extra money...my grandpa has a garageful of scap metal and I wouldnt be able to make any money off it if that happened..plus a lot of it is considered recycling and not scrapping. I don't know who in their right mind would pass a bill makeing recycling illegal.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1443
Posted From: 65.140.157.96
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a story yesterday on one of the local tv stations about scrappers being ticketed for selling scrap without a license and they also impounded their vehicles. It might have been on 2 or 7.

I think that they said it was a $1000 fine.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2667
Posted From: 4.229.105.109
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh sure, it's OK if someone takes a header off the Book Tower, but nobody liked my idea of (before the scrappers got a hold of it) lubing the Lee Plaza roof with WD-40... I still remember my limerick....

There once was a scraper named Thad.
'Thought the Lee Plaza roof could be had.
He went up one day...
But to his dismay...
He slid down and it ended real bad!
:-)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1289
Posted From: 68.73.202.154
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I saw a story yesterday on one of the local tv stations about scrappers being ticketed for selling scrap without a license and they also impounded their vehicles.

So, do you actually need a special license to sell metal for scrap? That would seem to be a logical way to enforce it.

No question, this is becoming a huge problem in Detroit and some other cities... something does need to be done.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2874
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...remembering the final rape of Lee Plaza. :-(

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 12.75.20.59
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew a family who lost their home due to foreclosure. They stripped the copper plumbing out of the place the day they moved out. They also took the aluminum siding and God knows what else.

And in case anyone is keeping tabs, this happened in one of the suburbs.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 540
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently I noticed that the gutters on my garage in SW Detroit were gone. I was so puzzled. Then the aluminum lug nut covers on my car went missing. I was so puzzled. Then I read in the WSJ that scrap metal, especially aluminum, is commanding top prices largely because China's economy is devouring scrap metal.

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 69.223.214.2
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap, surely you must be joking. Your gutters are gone? That wouldn't be too easy to steal, especially if you were home.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they disappeared - I don't know. My garage is easily accessible from the alley. Someone just needs to jump the back fence and there you are.
Yes, there is the chance that someone would see or hear it being done. It just takes "brazeness."

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 69.223.214.2
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's crazy.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is happening everywhere. In East English Village there are scavengers prying the aluminum storm doors and gutters off houses, in the daytime, without any regard to whether they're occupied or vacant. I hear there was a bust of a big scrapyard recently for accepting stolen stuff, but it's a drop in the bucket.
My husband had to go to a scrapyard for work-related reasons recently, and he said it was like this crazy assembly line, with truck after truck coming in with obviously stolen stuff (like manhole covers!) and a big sign that said "GET PAID" at the cashier. They all know what's going on.
I've heard the new big thing is air conditioners because of the copper content. Bolt them down, or to the window frame. The other advice I've heard is paint your storm door and/or gutters - the thieves don't seem to want the painted ones.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I'm not the only one. Looks like Detroit is in anarchy. And our Mayor is nowhere seen or heard on the topic of improved policing.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 994
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say hang them by their winky-tinkys from the top of the fire escape on the Book Tower Building.

Livedog2

Royce

Post Number: 1784
Posted From: 69.209.177.31
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard today that someone pulled down a Detroit utility pole to steal the copper. Also, thieves stole aluminum sections of Southwestern High School's bleachers just before the start of the football season.

This behavior is insane. Again, scrap dealers know if certain items are legit or not. They need to be fined and spend some jail time if found guilty of accepting stolen scrap metal. If they stop accepting stolen goods, then the scrap thieves are less likely to continue stealing copper and aluminum because there would be no profit motive.

(Message edited by royce on August 25, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.