Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Homeless and Hungry « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcdfde5
Username: Jcdfde5

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 68.43.115.185
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Begger at the Moross exit is a scam he drives his truck and parks it around the corner.
He pretends to faint on hot days. How do I stop this? I have called the police (that is a joke)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1003
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see him all the time, he looks OK to me, compared tp other homeless that you see.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 440
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go stand by him with a sign saying "this guy is a fake"

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1288
Posted From: 68.73.202.154
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom line, you should never give cash to the homeless, period. Give money to a shelter or aid agency instead. Or, if you insist on helping them directly, offer them a free meal.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1005
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have actually twice experienced where a "homeless" person refused food I tried to give them.

Not that all of the people asking for help are fakes, but a few are.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 68.40.227.8
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week the cops where talking to the guy on Moross, but if it ain't him, its the guy in the wheel chair and his "smile" sign, or the Army Vet, collecting. Sure is a busy exit. Obviously the cops visit did nothing.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3557
Posted From: 69.208.37.177
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, I just saw hom Friday night. He held up a sign that read "Smile" and flashed it to every car that turned. Seems like there are two or three different guys that work that corner. What, is he waiting for Winthrop and Buffy to come home from laboring all day in Troy. SDurely a bunch of rich folks enter the GP through that turn every night.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2049
Posted From: 69.221.36.81
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how that stereotype plays into this. There is a ton of traffic at that exit, and that is the draw. At times the traffic is copious due to St. John hospital employees.

Anyhow, yeah that guy isn't nearly as authentic as the ones down near Larned/Chrysler freeway.

People selling flower bouqets are also common at 94/Moross...it's just a reminder of the tough economic times (or how some folks don't want to get a job)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2873
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw makes a good point about supporting organizations aiding the homeless. But if you wish to donate directly, you could try doing what I do; hand out money to non-begging homeless people going about their business pushing the shopping carts. There are plenty of opportunities and you will brighten both of your days.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 67.185.177.235
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read an article a while back about rich folk that live outside NYC and Philly. They drive into down in nice sports cars every day and pose as homeless people. They panhandle, and some of them make upwards of $100,000 year.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 141.217.174.219
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I'm confronted by a begger, bum, what-have-you...they always ask for some absurd amount of money like a dime for the bus, or 50 cents to buy a meal.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2051
Posted From: 69.221.36.81
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta be kidding, Detroitstar. Who would be willing to invest this sort of time for being a fraud? You'd have to be awfully crazy.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.218.153.74
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gotta go with Dougw on this one. Give the money to the Capuchins or some other reputable group. Giving money directly to these people might be helping them feed a drug habit or obtain a bottle. I used to give money to a really skinny lady at Livernois and I-75 because she looked so pitiful. She would run off immediately afterwards. I'm thinking it was to go get a fix or a rock or something. I haven't seen her for a long time.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 206.126.217.221
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the bums are quite smart they hit me up in the drive-thru. you can't avoid and they come right up to the window. you gotta give em something or they won't leave. can't back up either. i gotta have my chili cheese burrito.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4851
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw,

You quoted that Bottom line, you should never give cash to the homeless, period. Give money to a shelter or aid agency instead. Or, if you insist on helping them directly, offer them a free meal.

I say, GIVING CHARITY TO ANY AGENCY IS FINE, BUT YOU STILL NEED TO GIVE TO THE POOR. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO KNOW WHETHER THE PERSON IS HOMELESS OR NOT. SO JUDGING THE PERSON BY ITS OUTSIDE APPEARANCE WILL NOT COUNT IN YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE WITH CHRIST. WHEN YOU GIVE SOMETHING TO THE POOR OR CHARITY, DO IT FROM YOUR HEART, BUT NOT PUBLICY LIKE THE HYPOCRITES DO AND LET GOD DO THE JUDGING BETWEEN YOU AND BEGGAR. THE BIBLE DOES SAY THAT THE LORD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER. IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE RATHER THAN TO RECIEVE. AND JESUS SAYS TO EVERY CHRISTIAN AND RELIGIOUS PERSON THAT WHEN YOU GIVE TO CHARITY, GIVE IT IN SECRET. THAT MEANS FROM OUT OF YOUR HEART WHEN YOU SEE A BEGGAR PUT SOME OF YOUR MONEY IN THEIR CUP AND GO ON YOUR WAY. GOD WILL BLESS YOU AND HIS JUDGING BETWEEN YOU AND BEGGAR WILL BE COMMENCED.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.