Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » My trip to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 263
Posted From: 65.92.151.98
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to Detroit many times, and last week I was in Detroit for two days.

Anyway I gotta say, the improvments are just amazing in the city. I have seen Downtown Detroit over the last 6 years go from a place that looked down and out, to a growing and more vibrant place. Each time I visit something new or better is there.

This last trip really showed that, with the Campus Martius Park, and all the new loft conversions, etc.
I was most impressed with Campus Martius Park in the summer. It was just amazing with people sitting there and watching the fountain.

Woodward Ave I was impressed with also. While still not like it was back in the heyday, it was nice to see many of the buildings being used and not vacant anymore. Actually I was surprised by one of the very high end clothing stores in the Merchants Row development. Really expensive prices in there :-)

The harbourfront is looking great also.

Anyway overall from an outsiders view, Detroit is looking great and getting better. I know there is work to be done in the neighbourhoods.

But overall I am very impressed with the improvments I saw in downtown, Corktown, and along the harbour.

I remember going into downtown Detroit about 6 years ago and riding the people mover, and you saw mostly vacant buildings, broken windows, etc. My ride last week on the people mover made it hard to even find a vacant building. I saw one or two I believe. Everything was fixed.

You really can feel the life coming back, its amazing.

As always I enjoyed my stay in Detroit. The soul you get and style in Detroit is unmatched. It really has its own character, and is always a great place to visit. And I hope with all this restoration that the soul of Detroit is kept, and not totally sanitized or cleaned up for Starbucks.

Anyway all I can say is that while there are problems still, it looks more and more like Detroit is turning the page downtown.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now lets work on the neighborhoods.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 68.62.6.138
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike:

Thanks for the positive feedback and encouraging words. It's always nice when an outsider has kind words for one's city, particulary ours, as we've not been used to hearing it for such a long time.

(Message edited by thejesus on August 20, 2006)

Thejesus

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed:

What's the hold up?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 391
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You tell me. You're The Jesus.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3652
Posted From: 68.21.44.67
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...particulary ours..."

Errr...ah...umm.... rather suddenly possessive for someone who started posting here about getting a CCW because he would be driving from Livonia to Downtown, wouldn't you think?

Thejesus

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams:

I was wondering how long it would take for some a**hole to make that comment.

Considering all the preaching that is done around here in support of the bus system about how metro-Detroit is a 'region' and not a bunch of individual cities, no, I don't think I'm being overly posessive at all.

Besides, I spend more time and money downtown than most of the people who live in the Detroit neighborhoods. As such, I have a greater interest than most of them do in the health and appearance of the downtown area, which is the area that Mike was refering to.

(Message edited by thejesus on August 20, 2006)

Jams

Post Number: 3654
Posted From: 68.21.44.67
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Besides, I spend more time and money downtown that most of the people who live in the Detroit neighborhoods. As such, I have a greater interest than most of them do in the health and appearance of the downtown area, which is the area that Mike was refering to.

Not the first time I've been referred to as an asshole on this board, nor do I expect it to be the last.

Your arrogance is one of the things that irritates me about people like you. Because you spend a few bucks here doesn't make you an expert on what this area needs.

Spend some time learning about "OUR" history and the efforts and challenges that many living in this City have faced, lived with, and have tried to address prior to your consideration of living here.

It is not you are not welcome here to live and put your money into the economy, but there is a community here already, and, please, understand we're proud of our small steps forward, so drop the attitude you'll be our Saviour despite yor screen name.

Thejesus

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never claimed to be an expert on what the city needs...just an interested party. I have an interest in seeing the city and region I live in improve itself, as should we all. If you have a problem with that, then you can kiss my white ass. In the mean time, I will continue volunterring my time to help out the city and spending my money downtown in order to help out the downtown economy.

It's people like you who are detrimental to the city's resurgence. You become offended at the prospect of a suburbanite like myself wanting to take partial ownership of the problems facing the city in order to help the Detroit improve itself. If you were really serious about wanting to see the city continue to make progress, then you would welcome help and enthusiasm about the city's future from anywhere.

Jams

Post Number: 3657
Posted From: 75.10.2.195
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's people like you who are detrimental to the city's resurgence. You become offended at the prospect of a suburbanite like myself wanting to take partial ownership of the problems facing the city in order to help the Detroit improve itself. If you were really serious about wanting to see the city continue to make progress, then you would welcome help and enthusiasm about the city's future from anywhere.

My issue is rather than find out what work has been done in the past to improve the community albeit slowly, I've seen people with the attitude, I've picked up from you, that we'll fix all that is wrong with Detroit, only to see them move away after the idealism fades away and they realize to improve our community requires real work.

Do you have the commitment to actually make a difference here or just another "Cool Kid" who likes being part of a trend?

Thejesus

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell you what Jams...how about you just sit there and ponder whether or not I'm serious about wanting to help Detroit improve itself while I actually put my money where my mouth is and try to do some things to help out this city.

Meanwhile, instead of rolling up your selves and actually doing something positive for this city, you can keep coming on forums like this one and bitching about how 'they' should do this with that vacant building, or 'they' need to put more money into this program to help the neighborhoods.

I don't belittle what has been done to help out the city in the past, and you shouldn't question the sincerety of anyone who expresses an interest in seeing the city improve itself.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.95.237.175
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams seems so against the idea of suburbanites helping Detroit. Why is that? Suburban Detroit is thriving and is set for cash for the most part. But Detroit is dying and needs new money in the city. If suburbanites came in to the city every weekend in higher numbers, Detroit would be doing much better than it is now. You do not want to discourage people from trying to come in and help the city.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 659
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburbs are dying too. Once thriving Clinton Township is struggling hard to make money. I interned there for school and saw first hand the struggles they were going through. this is a pretty wealthy burb.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 141.217.174.219
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see you again, Mike. I hope Ms. Jen had a good time!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1150
Posted From: 24.231.189.137

Im a little surprised by Jams comments... Thats a comment that usually comes from a different groups of forumers.

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.208.255.214
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Thejesus, are your "deeds" actually divine indicators of the second coming?

Thejesus

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee:

I totally agree! The last thing Detroit wants to do is chase away people willing to invest and live in the city.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 69.95.234.69
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs money and they need to attract people from the suburbs into the city. They need to make the city look like a desireable place to live and work. If Detroit is filled with people like Jams who want suburbanites to stay the hell out, the city will never survive.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1186
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus doesn't seem like a bandwagon type of guy. Give him a little slack here, Jams. His comments were not negative. It's not like he's an idiot either - have you read his prior posts?
Sheesh.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 69.95.234.69
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is a beautiful city with great architecture it seems like it would be a developers paradise but if the city is not going to welcome new development then they aren't going to get it. In Milwaukee, redevelopment only came once the city welcomed developers in.

Jams

Post Number: 3658
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My problem with people like Thejesus is not that they are willing to invest in the City but they claim to be the "Urban Pioneers" and will "save" this City.

Many on this forum have paved the way for people like Thejesus to claim they are the salvation of Detroit. We've invested our money and our time, long before many of you learned to read.

We've been fighting for years, long before living in the CITY was cool.

Just asking to appreciate our efforts prior to living in an area despite the hardships prior to it being "Cool".

Milwaukee

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 69.95.232.110
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may have been fighting but the city has still continued to decline. People are still leaving the city. A small group of people cannot save a major american city all by themselves. If you are serious about reviving Detroit you will take all the help you can get

Thejesus

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams:

Enough already.

I never claimed to be the savior of Detroit. I never belittled what progress has been made to the city in the past. I'm here because I love the city of Detroit and want to see it improve itself.

I'm sorry I wasn't helping out Detroit in the 1980s while I was in f*cking grade school a**hole.

I don't know what your issues are with me...perhaps you just don't like the political views I've expressed in other threads...but my desire is to see Detroit make strides, same as most other posters on the forum. So quit with the personal attacks and try posting something of substance.

Jams

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No disagreement.

But it ain't gonna happen by someone investing in an apartment on Woodward.

I've over 30 years invested in this City, will I accept reasonable suggestions, Hell yeah!

Give me some!

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 24.28.88.45
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheJ and Jams,

Thank you both for whatever contribution you make to improve Detroit. Yours, mine, ours or theirs...

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1153
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jams,
If living in the city was so "cool" the population of Detroit would not have declined by 75,000 in the last 5 years. And sorry that you are old enough to have been "saving" the city long before we could read as you put it. Believe it or not, we do not control our conception or birthdates. And it doesnt matter if one becomes interested in helping Detroit at age 7 or 77, they should be welcome to do so, without harrassment.

And by the way, someone investing in an apartment on Woodward IS what it takes to help to rebuild the city. I do, as apparently does TheJesus and many others, whatever I can to help the city economically, physically, and phsychologically. Sorry if that is not enough.

If you're this great savior, and have invested 30 years into making Detroit a wonderful place, then you have failed miserably.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1189
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I don't understand the attitude. You've got two great people wanting to invest in the city and move there. Just because they're not actually from the city of Detroit should not discount their contributions or desires.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 68.40.171.54
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, you should really give Thejesus some credit here. He is not one of the suburbanites who have forsaken Detroit. He is on this board. He invests his time, energy and money in the City. He actually knows what the Book Tower is. I guarantee most suburbanites don't have clue about the wonderful old buildings downtown. Suburbanites like Thejesus and me are not the problem. We do care for Detroit. We consider Detroit our hometown and we do take pride in her accomplishments. Cut the deity some slack for taking a little ownership of the City's progress.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 68.40.171.54
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,
BTW, long time citizens like you are the heart and soul of Detroit. Thank you. I love your city, even if I do consider her a little bit mine also.
Docmo

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 944
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think jams is going to a deeper level, and referring to some of the systemic problems that work against detroit. folks who pay rent, patronize local business, and get involved in civic affairs are worthwhile to any community - and no doubt appreciated. however, there is a divide when it comes to people who have lived in detroit for years, have seen the systemic dysfunction, and recognize that the path out requires more than a few bucks here and there, and some volunteer work. so, therhesus, you are caught in the crossfire. maybe a little tact would work better for you; even your screen name evokes insensitivity. and when it gets down to it, would you be willing to live in the city, start a family, and send your kids to detroit schools? that's what the city needs most.

(jams, sorry if it appears i'm trying to speak in your behalf, but that's a little of what i'm seeing.)

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

even your screen name evokes insensitivity

proof that some people take EVERYTHING way too seriously!

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1348
Posted From: 84.162.34.207
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize Jams had invested so much in the city. Please elaborate. Have you started a business we are unaware of, donated your time and money to renovating a building, what is it you have done? Sorry to drop on you like this mustache guy, but you are really sounding a bit high and mighty with all this crap about being in the city before we could read. I heard all this crap from people when I opened the cafe. I actually had a lady come in and start yelling at me for being a white suburbinite who came in and pushed people out. I told her that if she considered California a suburb than, ok I am guilty. And no one lived in the space I rented, and no one had rented it for years.

This kind of rant pisses people off and causes you to have to put up or shut up. Please, Jams, enlighten me on how much you have done to help the city. You mentioned that renting an apartment was not enough, so you must have done something awesome that I am unaware of.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1152
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can't we all just get along"
-R. King-

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 572
Posted From: 67.38.3.101
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renting an apartment here is a pefectly fine place to start contributing in a meaningful way to this city. It's far more than most would consider doing. Getting involved with the community once you get the apartment is even better. I think that Jams has a problem with the urban pioneer attitude adopted by some Detroiters and he/she has a point. No chest thumping or self congratulations are necessary for those who make the move. Just move here and get involved and treat this place as a home and a community and with respect.

That said, some of the old timers could stand to lighten up a bit.

Jams

Post Number: 3660
Posted From: 67.38.3.5
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies to all and specifically Thejesus if my words came across as harsh. Just having a bad day.

And, yes Cafe, I owned a business based in Detroit for 15 years despite most of my clients were suburbanites who would not ever set foot in Detroit.

I love my City and welcome all to share it, even when my words don't express it.

Thank you Thecarl.

Thejesus

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's cool jams...most of us are here for the same reason: because we love this city and would love to see it grow and improve.

Hope today goes better for you.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can certainly understand Jams. I've lived within the City boundaries for most of my 40 years and still do.

What folks fail to realize is if you lived here long enough you will see this sort of stuff cycle through. Granted this last run is wonderful, but to have people praising *$ as our saviour does little for improving the livelyhood of the average Detroiter.

I've seen Jams act very rational when it comes to things, and most who just want a pretty city instead of one with a few amenities. Personally I'll take the regular stores where I can buy useful stuff (food, clothes, appliances) over stores that sell not so useful stuff (restraunts, bars) but there are very few of you here that understand that a City needs more than glitz. It needs stuff like Family Dollar, groceries you can walk to, and small businesses in general.

I'm shocked that some of you would crucify someone who has been living in the City as long as Jams, you should be ashamed.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 573
Posted From: 172.163.45.242
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D-planner, I agree with most of what you just said, but I have to say that I think we need more Family Dollar stores in addition to the 200 or so dollar stores already here about as much as we need more Cartier sunglasses boutiques.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 69.95.239.89
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may want viable low cost businesses in neighborhoods, but its not so much to want the renovation of downtown. It's always a good thing to have more people living in the city. You can't say that you want to see that little change for Detroit. I'm sure that you want people to move back to the city spend money and renovate buildings. If you get enough people downtown then they can spread out and redevelop neighborhoods.

Thecarl

Post Number: 945
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
quote:
even your screen name evokes insensitivity

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

proof that some people take EVERYTHING way too seriously!

your comment shows profound social and cultural ignorance. maybe you're an anarchist, and hold nothing up to high esteem. i am Christian, and the handle is bothersome to me. i made a brief comment expressing my opinion and nothing more, no rant or lengthy diatribe. you should be able to accept that. however, if you can't see that someone might take issue with such a handle, you are truly ignorant and self-centered. farbeit for you to judge that which may or may not have been taken too seriously, pdtpunk. what makes you so qualified?

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 24.98.220.175
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in SW Detroit by the Rouge and moved in 1970 when my Dad retired. I've been coming back now for the past four years and am amazed at the improvement I see Downtown. NO, not a fix yet but a definite improvement! We were down yesterday and went to Lafayette for a couple of dogs and I was certainly inspired at seeing burning lights in the Book Cadilac where my folks used to go sit in the lobby in the 50's to see the out of town ballplayers arrive!

I think some of you are way too close to the situation to see the positive change.

Quit the bitching and backstabbing each other and calling names and just focus on some positive comments about a once great city that's TRYING. Went to Belle Isle yesterday as well and was excited to see so many people using the park!

We're coming back in October for the marathon and will stay at the Downtown Courtyrad and am looking forward to a great time AGAQIN!

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiongline, Family Dollar stores are not true dollar stores, they are a lot like old dime stores and carry a variety of merchandise. You should go into one and look around, you'd be amazed.. Milk, Cheese, Bedspreads, Lamps, are all available at the Family Dollar. It is not another dollar store.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 68.41.154.161
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would help is...instead of installing another new industrial park or warehouse on some pristine Wetland in Auburn Hills, why not build it in Detroit? What do Farmington Hills, Taylor, and Wixom offer that Detroit isn't? If the neighborhood is bad enough, only occupied by a few crack houses and burnt up shells, buy 'em up tear 'em down and put the warehouse there. Then employ people from the surrounding neighborhoods, offer the smart and bold company that does that, big tax breaks.

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 24.21.198.33
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What do Farmington Hills, Taylor, and Wixom offer that Detroit isn't?"

Um, probably substatially lower taxes and reliable city services.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is the rub, all of the indusrial parks everywhere are emptying out. Manufacturing jobs are going bye bye. Even if we build some more industrial areas, they will be empty like a lot of the other industrial areas around here.

Cambrian

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 141.209.84.222
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, that's the problem when the fed lowers interest rates. All the developers buy up all kinds of land and build stuff that will never see 100% occupancy.

Thecarl

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

circa early 80's, american automakers tried protect market share, and adopt japanese manufacturing practices such as kan-ban and just-in-time inventory. part of the concept was keeping a majority of suppliers within a fifty-mile radius of manufacturing and assembly plants. industrial parks facilitated this strategy, and were located near major auto plants.

buick city was to be a model implemenation based upon these refined and efficient supply-chain approaches. today, buick city is gone, and the industrial parks are covered with weeds. i see the same elsewhere. computerization of the supply chain in a competitive market, and improved logistics, obviated the need to keep suppliers next door.

Cambrian

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what the city needs is a good marketing plan. Ohio, Indiana is getting plants and Industrial parks. We have a tremendous advantage over them. Highly skilled and hardworking labor base, proximity to trunk rail lines and water ways, proximity to major freeways and two large airports, relatively lower property values (within the city, therefore cheaper for initial purchase) all these things would be hugely attractive to a smaller start up company. Some one has to be out there with glossy booklets chasing that business down that other areas are getting.

Cambrian

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 69.246.123.152
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More on that plan...Detroit should figure out what is giving businesses headaches in other large cities, High Rent in NYC, Blizzards in Boston, Hurricanes in Miami and New Orleans, and let Detroit be the Aspirin! If some one from Hizzoner's office isn't doing that, they sure should be!

Messykitty

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit: at least we don't have hurricanes.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 730
Posted From: 68.41.109.36
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jams, jesus... your both right. but for this area to survive and improve, its future is in Detroit.

we need both... jams to be more welcoming to outsiders, and jesus to be an outsider willing to care and spend time in the city.

what downtown detroit has become in the past few years would be enough for any major city to draw suburbenites, but not in metro detroit. attitudes have to change on both parts.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 68.50.105.69
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blizzards in boston?? hmmm. not sure that one will make someone want to move to detroit---

Cambrian

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! You jest, but acts of god cost companies millions each year. All though we get a blizzard once, what every ten years? Our weather is pretty mild, when we do get tornadoes, they're never more then a class II. I think our last majorly devastating tornado was in Flint back in '53, and there was speculation that was linked to the nuclear arms testing out west dis rupting weather patterns.

Messykitty

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, weather aside, there is still the wee, little problems like high taxes, rotten schools, high crime, small number of college graduates, poor public services, etc., etc. Some businesses find that more scary than hurricanes and blizzards. Go figure.

Cambrian

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on now, we gotta stick for the D! How many times have you watched the 5 o'clock news and said to your self "Detroit is nothing like they are portraying it to be"? I'm always surprised by things in Detroit like seeing some new group of houses being built that does not have bars on the doors, or finding out about some cool micro brewery that is a smashing success, or learning just how many decent people live in that run down looking neigbor hood, I could go on and on.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 69.95.235.2
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are success stories in Detroit, but think in the long term. Detroit in 1950 and Detroit in 2006. I really don't think there's any question which time was better. Detroit is better than it was 10 or 15 years ago, but its still a hell of a lot worse off than it was in 1950.

Cambrian

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Too much dependence on the Auto Industry explains the difference between 1950 and 06. However, if you were to compare 1906 with 2006, we are much better off now then we where 100 years ago. The starting auto companies chose this area because there was lots of pros to Detroit, as opposed to lets say Canton OH. In order to attract other businesses here, we need to blow the horn about the good things going on here, much like some one did in 1906 I would imagine. Chicago, NYC and Atlanta do not depend on one industry to determine rather or not they will thrive or die, and neither should we.

Rustbelt
Username: Rustbelt

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.95.237.110
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read this from the top. Detroit has a shity run-down downtown. Great Vacant buildings. Five ugly black cylanders. tree-less sidewalks surronded by wide sun-baked avenues, natural prarie, and hulking giants of once great factories and buildings. Detroit is the worst looking major city in America. Every major american city has a big loft area and people living in the city. Detroit has a depressing core that will never again attract business.

Cambrian

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said earlier, are we a Jerry Springer forum or a World News Tonight forum? Rustbelt's comments are full of sensationalist baseless negativity that can be applied to any large urban setting.

Rustbelt

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No they can't. New York vibrant and Chicago vibrant, new condo's, office buildings, and very few if any abandoned buildings downtown. Cleveland and St. Louis two city's with substantially less people in the city than in 1950. Both city's have big condo districts with no casino's. Both city's have new skyscrapers. Both cities have clean and safe downtown's.

Cambrian

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you speak in such generalazations. We've had new sky scrapers, newest was in the 90s, Guardian I believe, I can take you to bad areas in any large city, and say, "Look what a cesspool this whole city is!". Most of those cities you rattled off would have a casino if it were allowed, but arcane laws require it to be on a boat floating in water. I would advise you to turn off the 5 o'clock news and get down town and see for yourself. Lotsa good stuff going on down there.

Rustbelt

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 69.95.237.243
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest that you visit some other major american cities downtown's and compare. If you go to emporis and look at or type in the largest cities in america you will see that nearly all have a major skyscraper under construction. Downtown has a number of mid-rise casino's under construction, not very impressive. No office buildings and no condominiums. You got to open your eyes to the world around you and prevent Detroit from being insular and backwards

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 409
Posted From: 4.229.12.14
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are Rustbelt and Milwaukee the same person? I see that lack of knowledge of the correct use of apostrophes again.

Rustbelt

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustbelt has never been to Milwaukee before nor does he ever want to go there. Are Pam and dumba*s the same person? I see that lack of a life again.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pam - anything look in these pictures look the same?

quote:

Rustbelt

Post Number: 6

quote:

Milwaukee

Post Number: 70

Rustbelt

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 69.95.238.254

Rustbelt

Post Number: 15

Hey Thnk2mch, anything look in these pictures look the same?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 4.229.90.150
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rustbelt has never been to Milwaukee before nor does he ever want to go there. Are Pam and dumba*s the same person?

No free beer on the Miller brewing tour for you then.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2072
Posted From: 69.221.33.103
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhhh rustbelt, you haven't been downtown recently, have you. Or when you do go, you refuse to believe what you see.

I think one of the few knocks on downtown is that there are too many parking lots, and it isn't a shopping destination. Far from shitty and run-down though. You can count the number of major abandoned buildings on one hand, now, and two of them are becoming 4-star hotels, while another is rumored to become apartments and lofts within a couple years. ...and perhaps you lump the east riverfront into downtown as well? Well, that will undergo, over the next 5 to 10 years, one of the largest, most rapid upbuilding and infill processes in the modern history of American cities.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.