Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » St. Joseph's Church « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 141.217.226.162
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended mass today at St. Joesph's Church near the Eastern Market and was overwhelmed by the beautiful architecture and the splendidly ornate interior. I know that it was originally built as a German church, but does anybody have more info on it such as who the architect was and how if was funded? Anything would be great.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 393
Posted From: 4.229.81.200
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroit1701.org/StJ oseph_Hist.htm

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1505
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the St. Joseph Parish website: http://www.saint-joseph-detroi t.org/History.html

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2672
Posted From: 4.229.90.76
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The construction of St. Joseph started in 1870, and completed (except for the tower) in 1873. I was there for the centennial celebration in 1970.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2053
Posted From: 69.221.36.81
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tndetroit, glad to hear that you visited what will soon be my home parish. I attend St. Joseph at least one a month; they have an extensive history writeup on their website www.saint-joseph-detroit.org. Just spending time in and near that building is a history lesson--and veritable trip to Europe--in itself.

Did you attend a Latin or English Mass yesterday?

Something St. Joseph prides itself on is offering all of these languages (German included once a month), and maintaining a liturgy which is dignified and traditional (i.e. no making up prayers or changing the format like the modern Jesuits). The priests there, since I've been going, have all been strict doctrinaires, and show great attention to detail in maintaining traditional worship. The current parochial vicar, Fr. Paul Ward, who does a lot of work under the pastoral administrator Fr. Mark Borowski, is an excellent young priest, and very well educated. There are several retired, former St. Joseph priests who come back from time to time, most of them being of German/central European descent.

St. Joseph is known for its music ministry as much as anything else. It and Assumption Grotto probably have the best music ministries in terms of talent of the choir, orchestra, and organist--and the effort put into providing great liturgies. The tradition of the orchestral mass, i.e. works of Mozart or Hadyn, among others, is alive and well at St. Joseph. They normally do orchestral Masses at Christmas midnight mass, Easter Vigil, Pentecost, and sometimes the Sunday after Easter, or other special events. The acoustics at this church are perfect for this sort of music, and the music is usually quite powerful.

You mentioned that you thought St. Joseph was ornate, and I agree on the whole, but compared to some of the local Polish parishes, it is comparatively simple. Nonetheless, the quality of the stained glass (enough to get it on the National Historic Register), and the quality and workmanship of the masonry and woodwork of the interior and exterior are outstanding and certainly ornate by modern standards. The apse of St. Joseph (semi circle portion of the building around the altar) is probably the most beautiful portion of any church building I've seen (without going to Europe). The tall stained glass in this part of the church really makes it such.

I believe that among extant church buildings in Detroit, this is perhaps the 4th or 5th oldest. I know that only St. Peter & Paul on Jefferson is an older Catholic church building. Nevertheless, St. Joseph as a parish actually follows St. Mary's in Greektown, the first German church in Detroit.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was St. Anne's built? I know the parish has been active since the early 1700s, but I don't know when the current building was built.

I've been to St. Paul's in London, Notre Dame in Paris, and St. Peter's in Rome and I can say that while not as big as those churches, the interior of St. Joesph's is on par w/ all of them (w/ the wxception of St. Peter's maybe). I really liked the preist's homily, it was like stepping into a seminary classroom, he didn't dumb anything down. That was also the first time I've taken the Eucharist in the old fasion (going up to the rail and taking it on the tounge). I'm just wondering why the wine wasn't offered to the Parish. I really might consider making St. Joesph's my home while I'm living in the city, but I'm going to try a few other churches first. Thanks for the info, though!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1508
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The 8th and present church is now at 1000 Ste. Anne Street (formerly 19th Street) at Howard, near the Ambassador Bridge. It's cornerstone was laid in 1886."

From the Ste. Anne Parish website: http://www.ste-anne.org/histor y.htm

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2057
Posted From: 69.221.79.204
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tndetroiter, that is really something. I will take your word since you are clearly more well-traveled than me. The craftmanship and effort and choice of materials used in this 19th century building make just about all things modern pale in comparison. I hope you do join St. Joseph--they are financially stable, but it would be nice to see some growth. St. Peter and Paul on Jefferson is growing, mostly youthful, and will boom with the east riverfront residential development. St. Mary's in Greektown has a decent size parish and always tons of visitors--so they don't need much help.

You probably heard Fr. Ward preach, and indeed you noticed that he is quite learned and tells you the church's truth just as it is. He's had some fiery sermons on social/economic issues, too.

Wine is not required for one to have a consummate communion with Christ---this is the church's teaching, but only traditional churches, referring to this often forgetten rule, do this. This, along with other explanations of the traditional liturgy you see at St. Joseph (i.e. no holding hands for the Pater Noster) can be found in the editorial/reference section of Fr. Ward's website www.fatherpaul.org

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, where on Father Ward's page does it talk about not having to drink Christ's blood during the Eucharist to be in communion w/ him? I'm not questioning this policy (I believe it to be right as I have seen many people not recieve the blood at Churches that do offer it), but I'd just like like to read Father Ward's thoughts on it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.