Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Belle Isle Grand Prix getting reved up « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1859
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the reincarnation of a Belle Isle Grand Prix is getting close. Penske is looking at a September 2007 race at the city's gem.

I also like the idea of taking profits from the race and putting it into the island and not just the track surface, etc. but the things that make it a great place the other 360 days of the year. These sorts of events make a lot of money, especially after it gets running and becomes an annual tradition. It could be good news for the island. With the premise of putting money back into the island the event will get a green flag a lot quicker:

"If there's a profit to be made, that profit can go back into Belle Isle to enhance it."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/S PORTS03/608210382

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10504
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, this sounds like it may very well happen! Funny, because I was discussing it with a friend during the Gold cup this year, asking about the likelyhood of it, prior to any sort of rumblings in regards to it.

Detroit can't get enough big events like this, whether it be sporting events, racing, or music festivals. It is the kind of stuff that keeps cities alive and thriving.

I suppose my only complaint may be, is Labor Day weekend the best choice? On one hand, you'd probably draw in more people from around the country who are diehard race fans, given its an extended weekend. The downfall is that many families in this region may take a vacation or head up to a lake cottage. In addition, I'm sure Labor Day weekend is one of the busiest weekends on the island in regards to BBQ-ing, so those people would lose out on that.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1158
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds great... If only Penske would move his corporation into the city as well :-)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1372
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if Mr. Penske could figure out a way to widen the track so that cars could actually PASS each other rather than proceed Indian-file lap after lap, we could have a really competitive race rather than just a nice day on the island.

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 68.43.3.234
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you could add banking to the turns to make it more exciting (kidding). I remember going there and the races being incredibly boring. The idea of indy cars coming back to Belle Isle though is awesome, boring or not I'd still go just because I'm a huge fan of racing. Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see which Indy Car series would be racing at Belle Isle if Penske got the date, IRL or Champ Car? (Or is it still CART? I havent seen much about this series lately other than Paul Tracy getting in fights.)

(Message edited by swgz31 on August 21, 2006)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1094
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IRL.

Penske doesn't own in Champ Car anymore...

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 209.69.34.80
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully this works out and there will be racing next year. Are they going to pave the paddock area? I remeber walking around the paddocks after it rained, it was horrible. I can see why teams didnt like it.

To bad its IRL and not Champ Car.. However, Iit will be interesting to see how Danica does; hopefully crashing out. :P

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 68.43.3.234
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats good, IRL is definatley the premier open wheel series here, I'd love to see a merger between Champ Car and IRL, but who knows if that will ever happen although they have been talking recentley.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1096
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been rumors of a merger ever since Tony George got pissed, took his ball and went home.

IRL is fan-friendly racing. CART is more raw. I watch them both. But I wouldn't necessarily call either of them "premier." All open-wheel is a shell of its former self.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene Simmons of KISS is part of the marketing team for IRL.

That's kinda funny.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as money's going back into the Isle, I'm for it, but I do miss when they were driving downtown.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:QUOTE:
"On one hand, you'd probably draw in more people from around the country who are diehard race fans, given its an extended weekend. The downfall is that many families in this region may take a vacation or head up to a lake cottage."

interesting point, however, i'd disagree... if you could say to me "andy, we'll host an event in detroit... your choice: 20,000 metro detroits come, or 20,000 out of staters come, pick" i would pick the 20,000 out of staters... we need more national exposer and out of state money in this city... i like things that benefit people that live here, but we need more money coming from out-of-state IN!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 904
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Locals spending money is good, but it's reallocating local money, as zero sum gain. Out of towners spending money is even better, it's a postive on the Micro level.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.