Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Factory Building on Central Ave. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scofield
Username: Scofield

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me and my father were out today. and we were in southwest detroit. to drop off some scrap at the scrap yard on Lonyo. anyway, we took springwells to Lafayette, to Central Ave....

anyhow, there's a building which has a for rent or sale sign on it. this is where it is... as your going down central, under the overpass there...(that every truck and it's uncle get's stuck under, if they're not from the area. :-)) anyhow, when you go under the overpass, it's the first building there on the left hand side. it's quite a long building... been there for years. it's for sale... just wondering, what was this building???? Anyone??? I seem to remember in the vast reaches of my rather foggy memory banks there being a bad fire in that complex years and years ago... (and no, I'm not talking about the pallet yard fire over there... I remember that, just about burned my cousin's garage down...she lives on Solvay st. behind there...In fact, she was the one that called 911!)

Anyhow, we went central on vernor to lonyo, to the drop off some scrap. I made about 7 bucks, Not bad for a hours worth of work! I had to spilt it with my dad though. :-( ;)

Also an FYI... if anyone is doing scrap work in Detroit at all. They busted about 15 guys that were scrapping without a license. got nailed for like $500 big one's! I guess the license is like $400 bucks! yikes! Anyhow... Just thought I'd pass this on...

Scofield :-)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2750
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to be clear, you were going north on Central from Lafayette toward Vernor? The railroad overpass is just a block or so north of Lafayette and the factory on the left would be on the west side of Central?

If it's the one on the left as soon as you pass under the tracks northbound, it would be the old Wolverine Tube Company. A brief discussion here:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/67413.html#POST4815 34

Scroll to around the middle of the page and find my posts #2403 and #2406. There are a few pictures and history and a link to a corporate history: http://www.wlv.com/about/compa ny-history.html

Scofield
Username: Scofield

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikem,

That don't look like place I saw, where'd you take that pic at? The building I saw didn't have the blue on it. this place was up for rent. pity someone could put a shop of some sort in there...
:-(

But to answer your question, yep, that is the building. the building on the same side on left, right down from it. has been there for years, it's a shop of some sort.

Scofield

P.S. why I love this forum. it's a great place to learn about history! :-) *two thumbs up*

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2752
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was repainted since I took that picture. Not certain though. The picture is looking southwest across Pershing Street from the school yard on the north side of Pershing.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 69.221.80.238
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear 15 scrappers were busted. Maybe this is a result of the missing AC units lately.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building used to have murals painted on it sponsored by some neighborhood group. It was painted white in the last year or so.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1307
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine Tube had a couple plants on Central. They made copper tubing until the copper mining company that owned it stopped mining copper in Michigan about thirty years ago. Their mines were probably depleted of useable ore, and the former high-price days for copper and brass crashed after Vietnam.

Anyway, it was before my time. My next-door neighbor worked there eons ago.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.