Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » New dress code for DPS « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 735
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a rather strict dress code for such short notice, but I'm still glad to see it. While I was in HS (10 years ago at Cass) you could see how it was just a fashion show to many. This might at least help some students focus on their studies, and not on fashion too much.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060821/NEW S99/60821013

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not all that short notice. Kids were informed of this at the end of last year (via announcements and letters home). I'm sure they'll give the kids a reasonable time limit to comply to the dress code. School is VERY much a fashion show even now. I don't know how some parents can let their kids leave home dressed the way they are. I am disgusted with the illegal drug t-shirts I see and the all-revealing clothing on the young ladies. Maybe now we'll be able to discern students from outsiders. Too many incidents happened where outsiders were in the building and starting "crap" with kids.

I am all for self expression in dress but some of the kids were just too expresive!

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent a letter to P Diddy and Russell Simmons asking them to please commit to using their clothing labels to design school uniforms.

I told them I thought they would make a huge contribution towards public schools across the nation for taking leadership on this issue.

Too bad I never heard back.

Uniforms are no silver bullet but I do believe that uniforms can reduce classroom interference while teachers are delivering instruction.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

School will still be a fashion show. This won't change it. I have friends that went to private schools that were much stricter than this and it was still a fashion show.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dress code will work only if you have a principal who is committed to making it work. When the board banned cell phones in the schools many principals didn't enforce the rule, or interpreted it differently than what the board intended. In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 393
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I sent a letter to P Diddy and Russell Simmons asking them to please commit to using their clothing labels to design school uniforms."

Dear Mr. Diddy...

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 242
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that no student would be sent home for not dressing properly. If that's true, what's the point of having a dress code? Personally, I would only enforce things like piercings if the student's behavior was no good. I do think the young ladies need to be more modest in their attire. And pro-drug T-shirts should definitely be out.
Out in the 'burbs kids have strangely colored hair and mohawks, piercings. Behavior is what counts.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree totally that if the Principal doesn't enforce the rules, they will do no good. Our Principal is strict and will enforce the dress code. We have sent kids home for not dressing appropriately (we called the parents and had them bring them different clothing, if the parent refused, the kid wa sent home). This mostly applied to the young ladies.

I see the uniform (well, dress colors) as a positive for no other reason than safety. Many times kids from the streets would come in (we have 40 entrance doors and no way to patrol them all and we can't lock them) and reek havoc on our students. This dress policy will allow teachers and staff to easily identify non-DPS students.

I am wondering if teachers will have to follow the same dress code. If so, I need to do some shopping.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 68.255.162.84
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed and Detroit Teacher...
I agree. It all comes down to how it's handled by the specific high school administration. I know that Mumford has already sent two letters to every parent, including those of new incoming 9th graders, apprising them of the dress code, a dress code that Mumford has strengthened even further (only burgundy, blue or white polo or button down shirts; blue, black, khaki pants and skirts, etc. They already had a strong policy on cell phones and no gold chains,short skirts, etc.) But that's because they're guided by the best principal in the city, who tries to be proactive rather than reactive. By the way, Detroitteacher, Mumford is also encouraging the staff to adopt the same kind of commitment concerning dress.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just figures! I own every other color pants except those designated by the district. Same with shirts! I wonder if each school can designate various colors based on their school colors? We are red and black. I look good in red and black!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4205
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any links to any studies proving that school uniforms and/or strict dress codes reduce in school distractions and promote more studious students? I'm all for reasonable dress codes, but have never been a supporter of school uniforms, as I haven't seen where it reduces in-school distractions enough to justify trying to turn high-school students into collective drones/worker bees.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redford High class of '97.... I love the dress code.

What other major cities have dress codes.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 277
Posted From: 68.255.162.84
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher...yes, schools can modify to fit their colors. That's why Mumford's are primarily Burgundy and Blue.

Lmichigan:

http://www.greatschools.net/cg i-bin/showarticle/ga/361

http://www.psparents.net/Dress %20Codes.htm

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

School is VERY much a fashion show even now

quote:

I wonder if each school can designate various colors based on their school colors? We are red and black. I look good in red and black!

hmmmmmm....must be a fashion show with teachers, too, eh?
:-)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4213
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, 65.

I guess it really depends on the particular district, and their issues and problems. I was fortunate enough to have gone to a private school, but one that didn't have uniforms and with a rather lax dress code. We were (and still are) routinely one of the highest rated academically in the metro. I guess I'd be more inclined to agree with uniforms, across the board, if it were proven, more often than not, that making the change somehow significantly increases test scores or somehow reduces school violence.

Perhaps, its time to try this for DPS, though, and I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

hmmmmmm....must be a fashion show with teachers, too, eh?

HEHE...not for me. For some teachers it's "who can look most trollish". I go for comfort. Usually it's jeans for me. I am in the trenches with the kids. I walk the isles of desks (no easy feat in my room) and I couldn't tell you how many countless times the desks have "eaten" my pants. I buy inexpensive clothing for work now. With having to clean my room, climb up on desks to move things on bookcases, climb through storage areas trying to hunt something down...it's just not worth it to buy good clothes.

Some teachers come in looking like they are going to the club. One teacher has her chest out (the kids make fun of her behind her back), one has such tight clothes, nothing is left to the imagination. I guess maybe the dress code would be good for the teachers, as well. Like I said, it's shopping time for me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.