Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Great Detroit Tour, 8/12/06 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 24.168.46.20
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On August 12, I visited Detroit for the first time, as my girlfriend and I had been in town for a wedding in Ann Arbor that had been the previous day. Thanks to the Forum's very own Kathleen, we got a great tour! My interest in Detroit is greater than ever.

We visited some of the old auto industrial ruins (e.g., Ford Piquette Plant, site of old Studebaker plant, Ford Highland Park Plant) and East Boston. Then, we went to the Motown Museum, which was a really interesting time.

Throughout the day, we also saw (not in this exact order) the Fisher Building, the Guardian Building, took a ride around the People Mover, walked around the old Tiger Stadium, went by Comerica and Ford Field, drove through Brush Park, and visited the Michigan Central RR station (one of the highlights of the day, for me). We also had a great lunch in Corktown and a nice dinner in Greektown.

I wanted to thank Kathleen in the Forum to fully indicate my great appreciation for her guidance throughout the day. She was a fabulous guide, and without her, we could not have seen nearly as much as we did. Thanks!

Charles

(Message edited by cman710 on August 23, 2006)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 71.213.227.125
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the D and the forum! Glad you enjoyed our fascinating little corner of the globe. Tell your friends, and come again soon!
Cheers.

Cman710

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I really do hope to come back to Detroit again some time soon.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 287
Posted From: 69.209.131.247
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen is a great ambassador -- my brother was amazed at how knowledgable and personable she was when they met last year at the jazz festival.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1511
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Cman710, for the kind words!!! I enjoyed showing you and your girlfriend around the city.

Hey, Vic!! Thanks!!! I truly enjoy sharing information about something that I'm passionate about....Detroit!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1078
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell all your friends to take a vacation here!

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1730
Posted From: 4.229.132.6
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What???? You mean to tell me you missed Belle isle, Masonic temple,The Penobscot bldg, The Fisher mansion, Indian Village,The Packard plant........

Of course I say that with good intentions and friendly sincerity.And to show how much there is in the Detroit.

As critical as I am of how Detroit has become I am always tickled when someone that has never been to Detroit before is enchanted by the city.Often people do not realize how big Detroit is or was; and so much of what was in Detroit when it was a million and a half people is still in Detroit.

I am delighted you were impressed by Detroit but not at all surprised.......it is an impressive city.

Cman710

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did indeed miss all those things, though I saw the Penobscot Building from relatively close, and the Masonic Temple from a distance. We crammed about as much as humanly possibly into eight hours, but unfortunately there is too much to see in one day, at least if you want to stop and take photos, like I did (I took about 220).

That is why I would love to make another trip sometime in the future. I'd love to catch all those sites, take a walk by the waterfront and see the Renaissance Center, and hopefully by then check out some of the new residential developments going on downtown, for the fun of it!

I was indeed impressed by Detroit (and this is coming from a New Yorker...you know we can be hard to impress!). The city has a definite character and charm, at least for me.

While I am sad that some of the sites of old are no longer around (e.g., Studebaker Plant, Hudson's, the Statler, old Motown highrise), I am glad to see a general revitalization. It appears that the progress the past ten years has been great. I hope that it continues.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.