Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Top of the Flame... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 993
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any good stories out there of/about the Top of the Flame experiences?

Livedog2

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 609
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13th birthday dinner held there. The napkins showed the layout of the city of Detroit that included a huge new complex not yet built called the Renaissance Center.

Nice views. Can't remember what I ate.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 216.93.121.82
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my mothers birthday it was always the Top of the Flame. Many times lunch at Jims Garage and maybe then the art institute or maybe a play at the Fisher.
The views were great, food and ambiance were great. Good family memories.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6674
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure those pics were from Top of the Flame and not a Cracker Barrel? I'd never gone there, but always assumed the place was kinda sophisticated.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 620
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here we go.....cue the Rock on 5....4.....3....2....

Livedog2

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I skipped work from 1 Woodward Ave., ANGSC and got drunk down in the Kercheval/St. Jean Area back in Sept. of 1970. I was sitting in one of the seediest bars in the area having a shot and a beer when three guys came in with shotguns to rob the place. The owner had a female dog with puppies and the perps shot the dog to convince us they were serious. It was such a traumatic experience that I decided to do something outrageous to celebrate still being alive. Fortunately, as I always did when I went to this area to do some serious drinking I had my wallet in one boot and my pistol in the other boot. I made reservations for three and took two bums from the bar with me and we went to the Top of the Flame. The maitre d recognized me because I worked on the 4th Floor of the building and use to go there regularly. We were seated right by the window looking out toward Windsor. I still remember that these guy’s names were Emile or Amile and Eddie and they were brothers. We really did it up right with before dinner drinks, appetizers, salads, soups, main courses, dinner wine, deserts and after dinner drinks. It was one of the biggest kicks of my life to see these guys enjoy something they never even knew existed. During the first half of the dinner they kept asking me why I was doing this for them. By the time we were half way through the dinner they were saying this was the craziest and most exciting thing they had ever done. I remember Emile said that if he dies that at least he knew how those Grosse Points people live. It cost me a fortune to do this and as usual I caught hell from my wife but it was worth every penny I paid. She’s gone now but I still have this great memory! I have never seen those two guys since that day!!

Livedog2

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1732
Posted From: 4.229.132.120
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unlike yourself itsjeff?........the sophisticated stuff is what I refer to.

I imagine the top of the flame was similar to windows of the world or whatever it was called at the wtc being the same architect and of a similar design.

Where is dialh this is right out of his book?

Livedog2

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Queer eye...." wasn't around in the "Top of the Flame" days of yesteryear!

Livedog2

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 571
Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the tall narrow windows echo those at Windows on the World.

To thread-jack a bit:

The fence around the Helen L. DeRoy Auditorium at WSU features the exact same motif as the lower part of the Twin Towers. Sadly, because the original galvanized fence didn't hold paint well, most of it has been replaced by a generic fence that doesn't replicate the old. That's too bad, because Yamasaki's design carefully included the fence as part of the overall vision, and because it eerily mirrored the curving vertical structural members of the Twin Towers.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1129
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What year did they shut off the flame on the roof? That burner must have used 1000 CFM of gas.
I am still trying to find a picture of the building with the blue fire on the roof.

Livedog2

Post Number: 998
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a new one on me! I didn't even know that a flame came out of the roof of the building and I worked there!!

Livedog2

Burnsie

Post Number: 572
Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was just lit up in blue year round..

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1070
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog, I also worked in 1 Woodward for many years (MichCon) but only went to the Top of the Flame a few times, usually for special occasions. Those photos must have been taken shortly after the place opened, as it looked different when I was there - more sleek and 60's-70's modern.

When the Top closed in the early-mid 1970's, several folks I know bought furnishings. The carpeting, which was 1970's orange-gold patterns, ended up in a cottage on the Pine River. Stools, chairs and tables went to a lot of different places.

Psip, I don't think there ever a live flame on the roof, but the rectangular center tower was lighted blue. There was a live flame on the UF (now UW) torch, that used to stand on the Woodward median between 1 Woodward and the then City-County Bldg.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2756
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the birthday thing there too until I was a teen, then I graduated to Joe Muer's. Somewhere I might have one of those cocktail napkins that has a map of the city, printed as if you were looking through a fish-eye lens from above the Flame.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1203
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics, Mikem. Cool to see the Book Cadillac with lights on as well.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be several flame jets in the reflecting pool at the Jefferson Ave. entrance to the building. During the energy crisis of the early 70’s this pool was filled with dirt and landscaped with shrubs. I don’t ever remember seeing flames on the roof.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1132
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, thanks Ramcharger, maybe I am confuseing it with that reflecting pond.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After all it was the Michigan Consolidated Gas Building.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1258
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those pictures sure make it look like colored lights, not flames....unless they figured out a way to make natural gas burn red

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2688
Posted From: 4.229.105.143
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, that picture says it's the Bangkok Cocktail Lounge part of Top of the Flame... looks like a cross between Tiki Room & Maple and Chintz!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 931
Posted From: 69.212.215.140
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the flame in the reflecting pool in front of the building would change in intensity throughout the hour as well.

the energy crisis was the downfall of the flame. the downfall of the reflecting pool in the front was due to the fact that it would leak into the basement parking garage, atop some influential executives cars to be exact. this is a common problem with yamasaki's reflecting pools. one of his other great works (the mcgregor memorial conference center on wayne state's campus) is currently drained as well, due to leakage in the basement...

Livedog2

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what's on the floor level where the Top of the Flame use to be. Does anyone know?

Livedog2

Burnsie

Post Number: 573
Posted From: 35.12.23.164
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waterproofing work was done at the DeRoy reflecting pool at WSU last year, and at least sometimes it had water in it this year-- but not even half of what its capacity is.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 68.248.11.80
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First "grown up" restaurant I ever ate in...my dad took us all down there for dinner one unforgetable night.

Took my date there for dinner on prom night in 197X.

Great place, the food was pure Stouffer's, but so what? The view an the ambience was all most people cared about.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1478
Posted From: 63.157.65.169
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this photo that was posted some time ago on this site in a GIS, so I don't know who posted it.

Top of the Flame

Does anyone remember (early 70s, I think) some pranksters painting large green footprints from the Jolly Green Giant, across the Gas Building area, and over to the Indian Maiden(?) statue at Cobo? I was at Cobo the morning after it was done.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

First "grown up" restaurant I ever ate in...

This is a great way to put it, Gary! I can say the same for my first experience in a "grown up" restaurant, too being at the Top of the Flame. I had my Engagement Party there in 196x and my I celebrated my parents 25th Anniversary in 196x. I had many memorable moments there.

I wonder when the Top of the Flame opened for business? As a matter of fact I wonder when the MichCon Building was built? And, I wonder what was there before the MichCon Building? Lots of question!

Livedog2

Burnsie

Post Number: 574
Posted From: 35.12.20.241
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Various websites indicate it was completed in 1963. There were some smallish buildings on the site before it was built. I know that's a pretty vague answer.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1373
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Flame was a popular place for attys to gather around 5 PM ( after you had your daily 18 billable hours ). It had several different decors as I recall, including an Oriental motiff at one time. Pretty good food overall,and a lovely view of boat traffic along the river.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The father of a high school friend worked at ANR (American Natural Resources) in the building - and he took us to dinner on the last night the restaurant was open. I too remember "modern" decor, copper half-dome hoods over a salad bar area - and I got the last can of beer that I ordered in the place. (I'd like to think it was a Stroh's - can't remember the brand.) A few years earlier, my sister's date for high school prom took her there to dinner. It was a classy place - sort of Detroit's version of NYC's "Windows on the World." Now we have Coach Insignia, serving the same purpose, atop the RenCen.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 71.227.103.140
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully downtown can some day soon support another restaurant atop of One Woodward. Unfortunately I think Coach Insignia would take it's business due to the fact that the Ren Cen is taller and more of a landmark. I imagine the views looking north up Woodward or towards the Penobscot are pretty special, especially at night.

For those familiar with the building and how this restaurant used to be, where exactly in the building was it located? I assume at the top, but I was under the impression that the areas that are lit on the building at the top housed the bulding's equipment. Was the restaurant directly below all of this?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 897
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow fancy cocktails.

That woman closest to the window looks like she's crying. Poor thing...if she knew she only had to hold out 20 years for ochre carpet to be out of style...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 932
Posted From: 69.212.36.29
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dug this out 'cuz i always found it interesting:

quote:

Passo di Danza: Step of the Dance
In 1961 Italian sculptor Giacomo Manzu met with Detroit architect Minoru Yamasaki who commissioned him for two art works for two of Yamasaki's building projects in Detroit. Manzu's 11- foot bronze sculpture, Passo di Danza, modeled after his wife, now stands outside the American Natural Gas Company on Jefferson and Woodward Avenues.

Manzu depicted a gracful nude ballet dancer standing on point, her hands lifted over her head uncoiling her hair, enticing onlookers to dwell on her lithe silhouette.

detroit news

also, there are two yamasaki buildings with reflecting pools on the campus of wayne state: the helen deroy auditorium and the mcgregor memorial conference center. [i used to confuse people when i told them "it's the yamasaki building with the fountain out front" not realizing there was two. good thing i figured it out before my fiance and i have our ceremony at the mcgregor :-) ]

Mikem

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Passo di Danza

Mikem

Post Number: 2760
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scenes from the early stages of construction, dated June 20, 1960:

The hole

Big Hole

The sign

Some tunnels under Griswold and Jefferson

Looking up Woodward

And across the street

Quinn

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"To Serve the Dynamic New Detroit of Tomorrow"

FABULOUS! Great pics!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1072
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog, after the Top closed, the 26th floor was converted to office space for ANR. For some time it housed the property management group for ANR and/or ANRSC, until they moved to the RenCen.

Quinn

Post Number: 899
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1995, when I worked there, it was a lunch cafeteria. After a few years that closed and became open office space for the fledgling DEGC (I beleive it was degc...if not that then some other agency set up to bring business downtown and build builings...they had models and plans all over the wall).

The executive floor (either the floor just above or below..can't remember) was abandoned when I worked there. We snuck in once and were amazed by the 60's big corporate office suites with private bathrooms, electric motored curains, liquor cabinets lit from behind, fire places, marble marble and more marble...I could go on and on.

The board room shared a working fireplace (the other side off) with the CEO's office...a HUGE suite on the southeast corner with a walk-in bar area and huge bathroom with a marble tub.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1214
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The executive floor (either the floor just above or below..can't remember) was abandoned when I worked there. We snuck in once and were amazed by the 60's big corporate office suites with private bathrooms, electric motored curains, liquor cabinets lit from behind, fire places, marble marble and more marble...I could go on and on.

How cool is that? Liquor cabinets in the office! Sounds like an old movie.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 577
Posted From: 172.167.153.130
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Greater Downtown Partnership had the top floor space for awhile.

(Message edited by swingline on August 24, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2696
Posted From: 4.229.81.188
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must have closed the executive floor down when ANR was sold to Houston's Coastal Corp. in the 1980's.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1376
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem's picture of the nude ballet statute reminded me that several years ago, perhaps for an April Fool's joke, some folks during the night painted large, black footprints leading from the base of the Spirit of Detroit,then across the north and south bound lanes of Woodward , and over to the base of the (innocent) ballet dancer.
Maybe the Spirit "was moved" and just wanted to get acquainted.
It was quite a hit in the newspapers as well as for those of us who worked downtown.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Hornwrecker's post above: "Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:26 pm:"

Livedog2

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 65.42.41.61
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget, Top of the Pontch operated as a Chuck Muer restaurant at the same time the Flame existed. In fact, Top of the Pontch continued to serve a nice Sunday Brunch until around 1990. Now I think it's only used for banquets.

As for Stouffer's, all of their other "Top of..." restaurants closed, except for Top of the Hub, which still does a good business in Boston atop the Prudential Center:
http://www.selectrestaurants.c om/tophub/

Gman29
Username: Gman29

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.74.2.87
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those photos shwowing colored lights are the Christmas tree on top of the Penobscot Building. However, there was a blue"flame" light on top of the buildin back in the day. The inside was more sleek, sophisticated and elegant.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2917
Posted From: 66.167.211.42
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just spoke with my sister-in-law who worked there for a number of years. Her office was in the former Flame space and she had a dramatic up-straits view of Belle Isle, Ren Cen and more.

Her recollection of the Flame's closing was 'around 1979' afterwhich it was converted to office.

Her connections got us on the roof for fireworks. That was a most dramatic vista with the firework bursting at eye level and roar of the swirling throngs in Hart Plaza rising. The gas company put on a pre-fireworks shows for the kids. I remember a magician who was an amazing pickpocket and who required that I turn off my video camera before doing his act.

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 68.85.144.61
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to TOP OF THE HUB it was great and the view was awesome. I can only imagine the view from top of the flame

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.