Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » New Shopping District in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.215.244.78
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen on the news not too long ago that the city was looking at a portion of the State Fair grounds to build an outdoor shopping strip set for 100 stores (along Woodward). Has anyone else heard about this rumor?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 737
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buncha bulldozers in that area pushing around some dirt.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 69.95.233.245
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's going to shop there? The suburbs north of there are dying, the area around there other than Palmer's Woods isn't doing to well either. I don't see why build a mall there, but I certainly don't have a problem with retail development within the city limits

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4225
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discussion, here:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/62684/72642.html

The suburbs north are dying? Milwaukee, where are you from, again?

It's a perfect location, nonetheless.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 23, 2006)

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 377
Posted From: 69.246.19.24
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee do you have any idea what you are talking about, or are you just running your mouth as usual? Have you ever stepped foot in the suburbs north of there or are you just guessing?

I can tell you from experience that both Palmer Woods and Ferndale are doing quite fine. The areas around Palmer woods are doing quite well too.

Ever been through the Univesity District? How about Green Acres?

No. Of course you haven't. Because you are a suburban Wisconsin teenager that has know knowledge about the things that come projectile vomiting out of your mouth.

You are obnoxious.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 67.149.91.30
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

milwaukee doesn't even live here...so i would say he most definitely doesn't know what he's talking about.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 69.95.235.29
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburbs just north of 8 Mile and Woodward, the general area of the state fair grounds are Warren, Hazel Park, Oak Park, and Ferndale. I know Palmer's Woods is nice but I recall back to our dangerous neighborhoods conversation that you guys said that the border suburbs of the city are dangerous too. Rich and Middle class people don't live in dangerous area's. Rich and middle class people have money to spend at new shopping centers. Shopping center in a poorer area not a good idea!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4227
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You try telling the rich and middle income folks that populate Palmer Park/Woods, University District, Sherwood Forest...that they don't live where they do. Serioulsy, just quit while you're ahead.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 373
Posted From: 69.217.228.26
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Milwaukee, I have to say, you don't really sound like you know what you're talking about.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is also another area in Metro Detroit with a declining population. I just checked this on wikipedia and every suburb in the area of the proposed center has a declining population. You cna't try and tell me that Detroit, Warren, Hazel Park, or Ferndale have growing populations. People are leaving the area, they may have stable neighborhoods for the time being but with the area's population trends how do you know that you won't have half the customer base that you had in the beginning. How long do you expect rich and middle class people to live in a dying city with shity schools. I'm really trying not to trash Detroit, I'm just trying to explain why the idea could not work out in the long term.
And, I'm not some cro-magnon in terms of my knowledge of Detroit.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 69.212.37.1
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shopping DISTRICT? LMAO.

Just another spirit-sapping, lame-ass strip mall, with more of the same lame-ass retail cankers that pollute the region. All encompassed by a parking lot half the size of Highland Park.

Just the kind of thing that makes SE Michigan the dumping ground that it is. And people wonder why our youth flee.

Better than nothing? Not really.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2690
Posted From: 4.229.81.69
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee... that area has had a growing gay population for many years. Lower population, higher disposable income.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lower population meens and aging population and a white population that continues to move away from the city as middle class and lower class blacks enter these suburbs. More whites are dying or leaving the area than are being replaced with other whites or blacks. The mall could survive in the earlier years but think of long time success. Lower population and fewer customers. Less people to support the stores.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7775
Posted From: 66.19.24.120
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consider how underserved the population is. The area is still much, uch more dense than any other area of Metro Detroit.

The customers in thie area have to go elsewhere for many goods. Looking at population loss in a vacuum is just ignorant in this matter.

Detroit and the inner rings are much, much more dense than the other areas of the region and this part of Detroit has discposable income and is severely underserved in the retail options.

You are talking out of your ass with percentages that don't paint the real picture. Density and competition is more important than decline percentages.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 67.149.91.30
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The suburbs just north of 8 Mile and Woodward, the general area of the state fair grounds are Warren, Hazel Park, Oak Park, and Ferndale. I know Palmer's Woods is nice but I recall back to our dangerous neighborhoods conversation that you guys said that the border suburbs of the city are dangerous too. Rich and Middle class people don't live in dangerous area's. Rich and middle class people have money to spend at new shopping centers. Shopping center in a poorer area not a good idea!"

you guys? i wasn't in that conversation, so who are you referring to specifically? and did someone also specifically say ALL border burbs are dangerous? if they did, they also don't know what they are talking about. i would not classify any of those burbs you listed, and many others you didn't list, as being dangerous. some may have sketchy areas, and then there is that lovely *oasis* people like to call royal oak township, but all in all, they are just normal cities.

and wikipedia may give you stats on population, but it doesn't tell you the make-up of the area, in regards to housing and the people who inhabit those houses, in addition to businesses along major thoroughfares, and if they are successful or not. WE live here and see how things are despite (and in addition to) stats...YOU don't, so as lmichigan said, quit while you're ahead.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 69.95.239.135
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, I'm wrong about the market. I thought that the lower population could be a problem for the idea. But, the city should also think of what happens if it fails. Does Detroit really want another collection of abandoned buildings from a failed urban renaissance project? Does it want to sacrifice the beauty of an area just for possible success. They're just planning on success and not of failure a thing that the city is very familiar with.

Jt1

Post Number: 7776
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beauty? It is empty land. The touted 'urban ren' is typically seen as downtown, not 8 and Woodward.

By your post 54 you are implying the city should do nothing since failure is a possibility. Wonderful thinking. I hope you have no goals in life as failure is a possibility.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku
Post Number: 647
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:59 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Palmer Woods, shit freaks me out everytime i roll down Woodward.
Tkshreve

Username: Tkshreve
Post Number: 2
Posted From: 12.32.128.68
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:59 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
"FYI, Mil, there are unsafe suburbs too--Warren, Inkster, Redford, Pontiac, hell you can probably be mugged or have your car stolen in much of Grosse Pointe, too. And Macomb county is full of angry white folk."

Ok --- now go get a map and tell me how many of these cities border Detroit. Besides Pontiac, which is a dump....... all of them do. I'd leave my car parked with the keys in it in Bloomfield hills, but Detroit, nah....... I'd just as much throw them to the next guy walking by.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 798
Posted From: 68.30.6.205
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody can put anything on Wiki-pedia.

They are not the census bureau.

later - naturalsister

Jt1

Post Number: 7777
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee rapes goats.

Well it was written. It must be true.

Not a personal attack, just proving a point.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They shouldn't take on such an ambitious project in a declining city. I'm not saying that the city shouldn't try and improve itself, it just should try doing it with something with so little security

Milwaukee

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe wikipedia all the time, but I do believe the census bureau.

Jt1

Post Number: 7778
Posted From: 66.19.20.185
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So tell us what they should do. What is the proper scale?

Is the riverwalk too large? How about Campus Martius? I wish they would have thought smaller since they could have failed there

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1177
Posted From: 35.11.221.92
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...no point in trying to get through to him, Jt1

Jt1

Post Number: 7779
Posted From: 66.19.20.185
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just having fun. I assume he is just flaming.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1178
Posted From: 35.11.221.92
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, you are right

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 69.215.242.247
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee,

Nobody is proposing a huge regional mall, just a large strip plaza with perhaps one or two big-box stores. The parcel is currently (and for years has been) empty. It would serve an underserved area.

I live in Green Acres - we're not dying. Lot's of disposable income here, in Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, University district, and the Bagley Community. North of Eight Mile, believe me - Ferndale is not dying. Nor are Royal Oak or Pleasant Ridge.

If you had ever been to Detroit, you would know that Warren, Redford, and Pontiac are quite a ways away from 8/Woodward - those people would not shop there under any circumstances.

I once drove through Milwaukee on my way to Chicago from the UP. Shall I tell you all about your city and what is good for you?

Dtown1

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.215.244.78
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, to end all the anemosity, the city hasnt mentioned any more of it because they can't afford it and they can't get eny big anchors like sears of Fields (examples, plz no remarks) to hold the stores like the once successful 7/Gratiot shopping strip and the Grand River/Greenfield Shopping strip. However, it was an interesting topic to bring up though because this may help the city, who knows

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 24, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4228
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you with Milwaukee? "They can't afford it?" Really, where are you guys getting this stuff? This has nothing to do with the city of Detroit government.

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 75.10.19.82
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this could work very well. The area is a very nice selection due to it's location.

Milwaukee,

Be cool, stay in School!:-)

K_solomon
Username: K_solomon

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 199.178.223.4
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the city hasnt mentioned any more of it because they can't afford it and they can't get eny big anchors like sears of Fields (examples, plz no remarks) to hold the stores like the once successful 7/Gratiot shopping strip and the Grand River/Greenfield Shopping strip.

Huh? This is so ridiculous its funny

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1109
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the city is building a retail mall at the corner of 8 and Woodward but now they can't because they have no money... (never mind that I thought Nederlander was behind the whole thing... and I'm pretty sure he still has some cash flow)

Ahhh, from the mouths of babes...

Dtown1

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 68.249.238.44
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was only an idea or prototype, wasn't even definite. Eventually, they'll get some cheap developers to build the thing

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 70.229.247.89
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked outside....Ferndale is currently NOT dying. I will report again after lunch.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4885
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new 8 Mile/Woodward shopping area is going to lure anyone rich or middle-class into those wonderful State Fair stores. Its a event that Detroit needs to those customers away from inner city inclosed mege strip malls.

Milwaukee,

What do you know about The Ghettos of Detroit and its suburbs beside getting your information from the biased media, Hollywood and Internet? Come to Detroit and its suburbs and you will see what we made of.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 69.95.233.37
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abandoned Shoping centers on the northside have all ready been mentioned 7/Gratiot shopping strip and the Grand River/Greenfield. Why not renovate the old? If these failed why won't this one fail?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1693
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Shopping center in a poorer area not a good idea!

Lord knows poor people don't buy things like food, hardware, clothes, and toiletries. Screw 'em, right?

Even if the area in question was poor, I would argue this point with you.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1111
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Abandoned Shoping centers on the northside have all ready been mentioned 7/Gratiot shopping strip and the Grand River/Greenfield. Why not renovate the old? If these failed why won't this one fail?

...you need to find a map.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Mile and Gratiot northside southeast of Woodward and 8 mile, Grand River and Greenfield south west of Woodward and 8 mile. These were strip malls in the outer part of the city. Why are these any different?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4888
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee,

You need to come to Detroit's ghettohoods and have a look around rather than depending on media's fairie tales.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2059
Posted From: 69.218.78.117
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Futurecity's comment way up near the top.

On the other hand, though, this is on 8-mile, which isn't actually known as a shopping district to begin with, and already has many strip malls, so while I agree with him, I'll say that this is better than nothing.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about the new strip mall this way. Rich and middle class Palmer's Woods, University District, and white suburbs. Right next to poor inner city. 7 Mile and Gratiot between poor inner city and Grosse Pointe. The rich don't want to shop with the poor, but everybody needs to get things from the store. All these different people will come to the store, but these suburbanites don't want to have to deal with urban kids and people. Most of the stores middle class shopers in the suburbs just head north to better strip malls. The same thing happened in Milwaukee.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1781
Posted From: 69.209.177.31
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa, let's cut Milwaukee some slack. Seven mile/Gratiot is in Northeast Detroit

Milwaukee, are you from here? Have you visited here? What's the reason(s) for your interest in Detroit? Maybe you can start a MilwaukeeYes! forum in Miwaukee so that you won't upset so many DetroitYes! forumers.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It takes a certain type of store to bring people together. Normally well-respected chains will do this. Obviously IKEA is a destination for all sorts of people, and since it is so cheap, a lot of people will probably come over from Detroit to get $1 trash cans and stuff like that. It would be nice to have IKEA there on 8-mile, but I think something like Costco or even a home-improvement warehouse store or a well-kept grocery superstore would be a good anchor for this. The success of this depends on the tenants, and being able to attract Detroiters and, at the very least, a good about of suburbanites from, say, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Hazel Park, and Southfield. This development is obviously immense and probably too big for its own good, but even though it is on a dividing line where lots of different people (rich and poor is one of the distinctions) make up the market base, there is still hope. I look at Mack-Alter square on the far east side. Thus far, its doing well. I haven't seen studies, but I know from anecdotes that Grosse Pointers and Detroiters are both giving this place a shot (hey--it's got a Chicken Shack--who wouldn't), and it will probably succeed and soften that east side rich-poor divide.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not from Detroit, but I've been to Detroit a number of times. I don't think my not living here exempts me from the conversation though. I love the city and I want it to be restored to its former glory. Most of you guys think I'm a jerk-off but I really do care about Detroit. I'm a hell of a lot better than the huge number of people who have written it off as a shithole, or don't even care about the city.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1483
Posted From: 63.157.67.114
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you had ever been to Detroit, you would know that Warren, Redford, and Pontiac are quite a ways away from 8/Woodward

I guess a whole 2 miles from the southwest corner of Warren, to 8 & Woodward, is a lot farther than the 2 miles from the northern border of Highland Park. Well, on second thought, maybe it is.

I don't see them building a new Last Chance bar. How are the hookers supposed to warm up on a cold winter night.

Infamous bar that the City was trying to shut down for many years. Home of prostitution and shady deals, located on 8 and Woodward, finally padlocked and razed.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on August 24, 2006)

Valkyrias

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

milwaukee...you are basing what we all supposedly think and know on 2 comments by 2 members who, together, have been on this forum for a total of 6 months? (and one has very little credibility on here, to boot.)

and you need a map. pontiac is by NO MEANS a border city. people in grosse pointe probably won't shop at 7 and woodward because it's a bit of a distance from them. and not that a map could prove this, but i've seen empty/abandoned storefronts, and even buildinbgs, in places like birmingham, bloomfield hills, farmington hills, and rochester hills. does that mean they are in decline and on the way to becoming a ghetto? i would say probably not any time soon.

and i still stand by my comment from earlier that all the cities and areas listed i have always felt pretty safe in when i've been there. and i take the same precautions every where i go, regardless if it's downtown detroit or downtown birmingham, that's just common sense.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 69.95.238.204
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to make the point that the suburbs that border 8 Mile aren't rich and perfect. I wasn't talking about a shopping center on 7 Mile and Woodward I was talking about 7 Mile and Gratiot. That is much closer to Grosse Pointe. Still Grosse Pointe people didn't go there despite being on about 3 miles away because city people used it.

Dtown1

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 75.7.135.95
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Mackinaw, What about Bel-Air and Belmont, they are both outdoor malls that are underappreciated, so when I look at it, detroit, does have shopping, just no tenants. Toys R Us, Target, Big Lots, Builder Squares, HQ, and all the saller chaim stores usaully in malls trie it out there, but the locations in the city werent doing so well so they had to close unfortunately, now Bel-Air is is just a big vacant lot, while Belmont tis ghetto township. However, their both along 8 MILE RD., the non-shopping district

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 24, 2006)

Valkyrias

Post Number: 328
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wasn't talking about a shopping center on 7 Mile and Woodward I was talking about 7 Mile and Gratiot."

my bad...since we were initially talking about the one on 7 woodward, i didn't notice the shift in location.

but still, you have no concept of how things are here other than numbers on paper and are taking opinions from 2 people to be the truth.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee---don't let some people on here dampen your interest in the D. On the other hand, if you are unsure of some facts, just do some research or ask a question right here (as you have done since you've been on this forum).

Damn right about the fact that the 8-mile suburbs aren't perfect. In fact, they look the same as Detroit's northern edge, they just have slightly better city services. Ferndale is nice in my estimation...nice houses. But southern Southfield is nothing special and south Warren is the arm-pit of this area, IMO. If you drive 8-mile sometime, Mil, you'll agree that it is just a formal divide; there's not too much variability within about a mile on either side.

The East Jefferson corridor is another place where a high-quality chain store could attract city and non-city dwellers, rich and poor. This is a major commuter route from downtown to GP, as you know, Mil. If we see a Meijer or something like that at St. Jean and Jefferson, there are more than a few GP-ers who will go there over Little Mack/13. But please--no more suburban strip malls on Jefferson!

As a side note, an example of a fully functional urban retail strip where both rich and poor, Detroiter and non-Detroiter, interact, is Mack from Alter to Moross. This is because the businesses are well-kept, most have been around for a while, and are of a quality high enough to attract all sorts of people. There isn't much "junk" along here, and its a mix of offices, car dealers, shops, and food. There is only one fast food place. Since it is a major thoroughfare, it doesn't really resemble a downtown or "main street USA"--Grosse Pointers have Kercheval Ave. to satify that--but there is parking along the street and alleys on Mack; the storefronts are nothing too special, only Whittier to Alter has a really urban feel. Thankfully, though, there are no strip malls.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does this have to do with the shopping center, though?

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 160.39.244.210
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly. i think a shopping center in this location would do pretty well. it's kind of far from any other major places to do big box shopping (14/john r, 12/telegraph, ford rd in dearborn). I don't think people will have qualms about coming to 8 mile and woodward.

Milwaukee you said:
The rich don't want to shop with the poor

I wouldn't necessarily say this is true. Upper-class Palmer Woods people, middle class U District/Green Acres people and somewhat poorer other-neighborhoods-west-of-livernois people interact all the time.. I would say it's true that in some situations suburbanites might not want Detroit residents coming to shop in the area (see: Livonia and wal-mart), but I think the northern suburbs in this area are more tolerant of that, perhaps.

(Message edited by innovator on August 24, 2006)

(Message edited by innovator on August 24, 2006)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich--I was on a tangent expanding on how a decent shopping attraction WILL attract rich and poor, city/non-city. Someone before me talked about how rich and poor will/will not go to the same stores, so I went off on that.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 567
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you just love how everyone comes together to bash people on the net? It's a great thing. Too bad unity off the network doesn't exist.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 772
Posted From: 68.41.164.236
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe Milwaukee rapes goats. Why would he do this to these poor animals?

The woodward corridor north of the proposed shopping mall is not dying. It's doing very well, thank you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.