Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Dying of Inner-Ring Suburban Malls « Previous Next »
The Dying of Inner-Ring Suburban Malls - 1Danny125 09-12-06  8:59 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never heard of English Village being referred to as a neighborhood, I heard of the townhomes, but not the 'hood per se. Must be a nesting thang like Warrendale/WACO/Copper Canyon/Yucca Flats.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 68.250.43.242
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indian Villagers likely shop like the GP's, in GP or at a ritzy suburban mall. Although, most Indian Villagers and GP's can afford shipping and handling so they dont have to travel to shop.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1139
Posted From: 69.218.152.148
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love threads like this, with everyone talking about stuff they obviously know nothing about.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1321
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aha ... it's crackin' me up, too.

Dtown1

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and Hysteria, the Men's Warehouse in GP is on Mack ave. between Moross and Vernier. I seen it yesterday or the day before.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3259
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Although, most Indian Villagers and GP's can afford shipping and handling so they dont have to travel to shop."

I pick this as my favorite comment. Out of all of them, this is the one that made me scroll up to reread it.

Dtown1

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright STEVE! What I meant was they are so goody two shoe to shop in public with eveeryone else, that they just order the things they need over the interenet and get it shipped to their homes. They hardly even go outside to play, so what makes you think theyre going to shop with the lower classes at shopping malls.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3260
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After some consideration of your new effort, I'll stick with my original choice.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1031
Posted From: 146.9.52.68
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god for UPS and FedEx

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, that the gas prices are low and with the fact that Michigan has lower then average gas taxes, I'm trying to get the state gas tax raised by one cent. I want to do this so SMART and DDOT can buy more buses with the ten percent fair share of the gas tax for transit.

Then, more people will move to Detroit and the inner suburbs such as Livonia who can get bus service back.

Please support my petition to get more money from the state gas tax for SMART and my efforts for SMART to return to Livonia.

http://savethefueltax.org

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap! Trainman said something that did not sound like a rant!! Still off topic, but wow

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the renaissance center a nice place to shop at or is it impractical and just built to make out of towner's have a positive notion of Detroit?

Dtown1

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Originally, the renaissance mall was built to bring mall-style shopping into the city. However, people still didnt want to travel ther to shop so now there are mostly vacant stores with a few independent stores left. However, I heard the Renaissance Mall has one of the best food court in Michigan.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have some good stores there but they're geared mainly for the people that work at Ren Cen. When Ren Cen first opened, the shopping arcade had some of the most exclusive stores in the metro area.

The layout of the 'mall' confused everyone and the fear of crime kept the suburban shoppers the mall was trying to attract out of downtown.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 847
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy my suits at Joseph A. Banks or Brooks Brothers, both located in the Ren-Cen Wintergarden, and both very much national names.

Just_for_the_halibut
Username: Just_for_the_halibut

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One word: Target. I can get everything at Target. We don't really have a mall in the city here...well, there is one, downtown but it doesn't have much.

Target is great for me...recent college grad and poor. I can buy work clothes there that look pretty nice, but I don't have to pay a lot. I can't afford to buy a bunch of work clothes and nice items at the mall all the time because I am on a budget.

I am sure there are other people like me who view it as that way...one stop shopping.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Target have a store in Detroit? Thanks for the information on the Ren Cen. I stayed there about a year ago with my family, and my dad and I walked through the wintergarden. I thought it looked great, but it seemed like things were still being finished. I guess it hasn't filled up yet, but I hope it does alright.

Dtown1

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last Traget that was actually in the city of Detroit closed about three years ago. It was at the Bel-Air Center on E. 8 Mile rd. I believe Target closed that location because of the area and service. It would get a lot of business. Now it sits in the back on the west end of the shopping center empty. It still has the Target look on it and everything.

However Milwaukee, there are plenty of Targets in the suburbs though, including one at the Northland Mall and Eastland Mall.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad to hear. I assumed that the suburbs would have no shortage of Target's or practically any other stores. Thanks for the information though.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee, any advice on where to stay when visting Brown Deer on business? I have to go there pretty soon.
:-(

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to Brown Deer, the first thing you'll notice is that you're not in Detroit any longer, Toto. While not as nice/posh as Brookfield, Fox Point, River Hills, Mequon, or Elm Grove, it's still very nice. And there's lots of convenient shopping.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ren Cen does have quite a collection of shops now...

Fast food court
upscale restuarants
movie theatre
Borders Express
Brooks Brothers
Clipper's
DOC
dentist
Jeweler
Jos A Bank
Pure Detroit
Tailor/Shoe repair
Tobacco Shop

Plus:
FedExKinks, Post Office, rent-a-car, banks, dry cleaners, starbucks

Milwaukee

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hysteria, Do you want to stay in Brown Deer or in downtown Milwaukee. It's 25 minuets north of downtown. I can only think of the courtyard Marriott. It's new but boring and in a business park. If you want to stay downtown
The Pfister Hotel
Amazing cream city brick building from 1890's downtown. It's an amazing hotel with great artwork and hotel service.
Hotel Metro is downtown, an art deco office building renovated into a great botique hotel.
Ambassador hotel on the near westside, near Marquette University. This is a new renovation. Great art deco building in a renovating area.
I would recommend the Metro.

Motorcitymayor2026, thanks for the list of stores. I thought it looked good when I went there.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hysteria, Livernoisyard is right. Brown Deer is pretty boring. sun baked 50's suburb. Brookfield, Elm Grove, and River Hills are nicer and newer suburbs. Shorewood and Whitefish Bay are really nice old suburbs. If you're in Milwaukee, you should definately go downtown, the third ward, and the east side. You said it was a business trip, but I hope you get to see something that gets you to come back for fun.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been to Brown Deer, and actually, now, don't plan on staying there. I just have to make a trip to M & I Bank for a brief visit and I'll be done. I know of the Pfister and would prefer staying there versus a roadside motel. Thanks for the info. And actually, I am looking forward to seeing downtown Milwaukee ...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take in a Brewer's game before the season's over. There aren't many retractable roofs on stadiums elsewhere. Mitchell Park is a must-see, too. And then there's the Museum. Plus the vacant lot near my former high school where the Oxford Apartments once stood--Jeff Dahmer's haunted house--before they were razed, due to trouble finding renters.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to know good places to eat, there's no shortage of them on the east side and downtown.

Livernoisyard, you lived on the west side? Where did you goto high school? Did you goto MUHS or the school of the arts? MUHS is my old school. I would agree, a brewers game would be a fun thing to do. Miller park is nice, it's on the near west side. Milwaukee Art Museum, The public library, and the new aquarium are good places to see, depending how long you're in the city. I would also suggest if you have a car, to drive along Lake drive north of the city and to goto Lake Park.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two years MUHS; last two Brookfield Union-free High School--now Brookfield Central. It was coincidental that Brookfield Central was the best academic high school in the state those two years--and probably beyond. BC's BB team a few years later went to the state finals and lost. My younger brother won the Wisconsin science fair two years running.

My parents lived on Anders Court (cul-de-sac), and my next-door neighbor owned all of the Milwaukee/Racine George Webb's restaurant franchises.

Our family owned a small manufacturing plant in West Milwaukee a few blocks from Milwaukee County Stadium, near Harvey Kuenn's bar and grill during the early 1960s. But we moved it to the 15 acres my father purchased just outside of Sussex's west side, along the RR tracks.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, really cool to hear about a guy in Detroit who went to MUHS. Brookfield Central still one of the best in the state. Thanks for telling me some of your history, it's cool to hear about.

Msamericana
Username: Msamericana

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody mentioned www.deadmalls.com? There's a MI entry there but sounds like there should be more.

Dtown1

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bad link msamericana

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the link without the question mark: http://www.deadmalls.com/

Trainman

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next mall to die is Livonia Mall.

Unless the DY ers and the rest of metro Detroit support my pettion drive to save
SMART

http://savethefueltax.org

Dtown1

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey TRainman, get a car or walk to another city with smart bus service. Of couurse the Livonia Mall is dying because of Laurel Park Place and Westland.

Also, why would I sign something that has NOTHING to do with me. Whatever Livonia did, it's too late to fix it.

REdford and WEstalnd probably has smart bus service

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 29, 2006)

Trainman

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1

My petition to to restore the state constitution under Act 51 to allow transit authorities the right to operate public bus service with state funding.

Under the new quidelines which are not law (at least not yet as DARTA is illegal), the state fuel tax is replaced with other taxes.

The Livonia opt out is a violation against federal guidelines to receeve grants and is also a civil rights violation against minorities. This is because it is unfunded to shift same purpose state funds to expand roads and rail in the outer suburban areas.

My petition has nothing to do with Livonia as a lone city but instead is a state issue involving the three counties of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb.

I'm starting a new campaign which is "Bring Back Livonia OR, vote NO in 2010" I need supporters for this and if I don't get any then regional mass transit for metro Detroit is a DEAD issue.

Livonia is a very large city and must be included in any plan to best serve the needs of all transit supportive taxpayers in southeast Michigan.

Dtown1

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well someone mentioned something bout signing a petition of bringing smart into Livonia again. If it waasnt you, I apolodize, but I'm not signing the petition.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, Act 51 now pays for the operation of transit service using gas tax dollars through the CTF or Comprehensive Transportation Fund, a subcategory of the MTF or Michigan Transportation Fund.

Please see the TOP of Page 3. Not only does gas tax pay for the operations of transit, but a nice chunck of the sales tax of cars goes into paying for it as well.

http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/act51simple_28749_7.pdf

Is it enough? No. However, there is not enough money coming in from the user fee to keep the roads in good repair as well. Please note that people who drive subsidize those who use public transit in Michigan. There are no instances where public transit users are subsidizing the road system, yet buses run on the same pavement as cars do.

Trainman

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, Act 51 now pays for the operation of transit service using gas tax dollars through the CTF or Comprehensive Transportation Fund, a subcategory of the MTF or Michigan Transportation Fund.

end of quote

The shut down of the SMART 285 bus line is physical evidence that the gas tax does not pay.

The state constitution means that alternatives must be found to qualify for federal grants.

The reason our area does not receive federal grants is because of low user fees and a lack of investments from industries.

It is not because of the lack of regional taxes.
This is false propaganda and is why Livonia opted out of the W.C.T.A.

Dtown1

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Kohls that used to be at Eastland, where the Target is at now?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently went to The Summit Place in Waterford for the 1st time (I wish I would've gone in my younger days when it was in its prime), my mother as well as other individuals told me that before the Somerset Collection became what it is today, and before Great Lakes Crossing, the Summit Place was THE PLACE 2 GO! Especially in the 70s and 80s. I went there and the only thing that got my attention was Macy's (What IS this?!? 1st Hudson's, then Field's, now Macy's. What's next, DAYTON'S?). The Summit Place still got a Sibley's Shoes-virtually an empty shell. I heard that a fraction of the mall is going to be demolished for housing development. And the mall is going to be extended in another direction. The only things that really caught my eye was vintage snapshots of the mall's humble beginnings from the ground up over the decades (U have 2 see it 2 believe it)-there were at least 5-8 poster size pictures
in one of the last wings-I don't know which one, I only been there once-and the other thing was I was able to grab a DVD or two for a fraction of the normal price(s), yes, they were used.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 370
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

my mother as well as other individuals told me that before the Somerset Collection became what it is today, and before Great Lakes Crossing, the Summit Place was THE PLACE 2 GO!

And before all that there were the stores on Washington Blvd. and Saks in the New Center.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1, the Kohl's used to be where the Steve and Barry's is now. The target is actually where an entrance used to be that led to a bus stop. There were also a few shoe stores and a Lane Bryant.

Dtown1

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, so Montgomery Wards caome after Kohl's?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'And before all that there were the stores on Washington Blvd. and Saks in the New Center.'

Touche!

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Target is where Kohl's was; Steve & Barry's is at the Ward's site at Eastland.

Dtown1

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ty Taj, that where I thought it was.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.