Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Metro Detroit Commuter rail system « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rustbelt
Username: Rustbelt

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 69.95.235.30
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard rumors of a rail system from Ann Arbor to Detroit and even over to Windsor. Is that ever going to happen? I first heard about it a couple years ago.

Trufan
Username: Trufan

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 68.40.89.253
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is currently a study underway for a rail line from ann arbor to detroit that will link with the Metro Airport. The study isn't completed, and so we can't expect an actual train for at least a couple years, but at least it is being studied. I haven't heard any rumors about Windsor, nor would I expect that to happen for a long while. Check out www.detroittransit.com if you want some more information on the commuter rail plan.

(Message edited by Trufan on August 25, 2006)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When pigs fly.
I'm getting sick of studies being needed for every damn thing that needs to be done.
I'm sure there must be a warehouse full of them from the last 30 years or so.
I think what's needed is the political will and fortitude to push some common sense projects through.
If you want a first class city, you need some first class transportation for everyone. It makes me sick when I go to Toronto, Chicago, New York or London and see what they have.

Rustbelt

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 69.95.232.224
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've also heard of a possible purchase of the commuter rail lines that head to Pontiac. I don't know if who ever bought them intends on re-instating the rail service but I think that could be a benifit for both Detroit and Pontiac. Rich suburbs unite the two cities why not make it easier for the rich to get into either city.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 141.217.226.162
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The line from Pontiac to Detroit is owned by the Grand Trunk Railroad which is a subsidiary of Canadian National Railroad, ownership of the line has not changed. The only thing that might have changed is a new lease agreement w/ a private company to provide communter service. That said, it would make a lot of sense, especially if the line to Ann Arbor worked out.

Rustbelt

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 69.95.237.243
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lines running in and out of Detroit would make it much easier to get into the city. It would make it much more appitizing for companies to move downtown. Easy access to the airport and be in the downtown of a major name city. There should be a southside line or an eastside line, but if the two lines here worked out, that could be a big boost to the area.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1328
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grank Trunk Railway is not a subsidiary of CN, but a holding company.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 65.92.153.250
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the SMART commuter rail system from the 70/80's.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 35.12.22.187
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's (part) of the deal on Grand Trunk and CN.

Grand Trunk Railway, formed around 1852 or so, was one of several Canadian railways amalgamated in 1923 into the newly-formed Canadian National Railways. CN was a Crown Corporation until 1995, when it was privatized. CN did not fully absorb the Grand Trunk Railway's line in New England; for decades this continued to have equipment painted separately for it.

Canadian National Railway Co. has a 100% owned, U.S.- incorporated subsidiary: Grand Trunk Corporation, formed in 1970. Grand Trunk Corp. acts as a holding company for Grand Trunk Western Railroad Inc. and other US-incorporated railroad subsidiaries of CN. GTW was originally incorporated in 1900 as Grand Trunk Western Railway, was re-incorporated in 1928 as Grand Trunk Western Railroad, and adopted its present name (to extremely simplify the story) in 1995.

GTW RR, the other subsidiary railroads and GT Corp. essentially just exist on paper, except for a lot of rolling stock and some locomotives which are still painted for them.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 601
Posted From: 35.12.22.187
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops-- I should have clarified that GTW Ry. was *merged* in 1928, along with several other Michigan lines, into the GTW RR. *Company*, which was changed to "Inc." in 1995.

Miketoronto asked about SEMTA. IIRC, when SEMTA took over GTW's commuter trains, GTW operated them under contract to SEMTA for a short time until SEMTA assumed full operation of them.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 204
Posted From: 141.217.226.162
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its still owned by CN, LY.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1101
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think more of a case is being made for commuter rail. Just look at the popularity of the Foxtown Tigers train. This sold out in a matter of hours.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.134.218.45
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that with the metro area so sprawled out job-wise that no real effective system can be put into place. The commuters spread far and wide and don't have a 'central' place where they funnel to or from.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 65.92.153.250
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is true titancub. However some commuter rail or improved express bus service to downtown may make it more attractive and see more business locate there.

No matter what, there is still over 100,000 workers plus students commuting to downtown Detroit and New Centre each day. Commuter rail could play a role.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4305
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't buy the sprawled theory at all, either in terms of jobs or people as, again, there are many more and more sprawled metros with rail transit lines. Why do people seem to think that Detroit is the most sprawled metro in the United States? It's not in any regard, and we just keep on making up excuses for the region to fail.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 68.41.154.161
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be smart is to install some elevated rails, like the people mover along the spoke routes, GR, Woodward, and Gratiot, Also Metro PArkway and 8 mile, they could be built in the medians. Have connections with the running busses.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 68.41.154.161
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the topic of GTW. I believe they were the last Rail road to run a steam locomotive in regualar service, 1959.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last Class 1 railroad to run steam in regularly scheduled passenger service would be more correct, It was in 1960.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think we're sprawled out, visit Houston.

But I think we could benefit from a transit line like they have from New Jersey to NYC. NJ is nothing but sprawl, but they have dozens of rail stations with a final destination of Penn Station on Manhattan.

A similar system, like others have mentioned - along major roads like Woodward, 96, etc., would provide a great "park & ride" to downtown.

Too bad it would be so expensive to implement.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 493
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not heard of a commuter route to Windsor (from Detroit); however, the infastructure is arguably there. There has been media reports of a study for a commuter line to Windsor servicing Windsor's suburbs. There is no reason why the Windsor and Detroit services could not be linked by rail.

That being said, the Windsor-Essex line is a longshot. Although I suspect that such a line would be more popular if it had a direct connection to a Metro Detroit commuter line.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.