Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Another "downtown" flagship to close « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 24.191.57.248
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As some of you know, there is a rally planned in Chicago on Saturday September 9 to protest the conversion of Marshall Field's to macy's(and the "cheapening" of the store that is already happening).

In the middle of this Bon-Ton Inc announced yesterday that the landmark Carson-Pirie-Scott
State Street store will close in March '07.
Bon-Ton is claiming "high operating costs" amoung other reasons for this, HOWEVER whenever Bon-Ton has aquired a new chain, the "downtown" locations were usually closed in the first year.

Just another example of the chaos in the retail world.

A number of people in Chicago land are calling
Von Maur their new store of choice.
What's Von Maur?

Ken

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 900
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not surprised about Pirie Scott (we were having a discussion about when this would happen the other day)...SUCKS THOUGH. The store is well known for its architecture, especially the fabulous entrance and detail work along the first floor by Louis Sullivan. That building is truly a gem...not worried about them preserving it though in Chicago ;)

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 901
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case you haven't seen or been (from googling) this is CPS.

T010428A.jpg

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1525
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Quinn, for the visual. I hadn't connected the store name with the building.

For Krapug:

From www.vonmaur.com:

"In 1872, the von Maur family opened its first store in a 20 x 50 foot rented storefront in Davenport, Iowa.

Today, Von Maur has grown to a 23 location chain with department stores in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska and Ohio that range in size from 42,000 to 203,000 square feet.

Our long-range plans find us exploring expansion opportunities in medium to large markets throughout the Midwest."

More about them....http://www.vonmaur.com/Default .aspx?PageId=2&nt=4

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 525
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Von Maur at Laurel Park Place. It's a nice store but too high end for my tastes. I went there a few times (looking like I always do, t-shirt and jeans, hair all askew) and the sales people literally followed me around like I was going to steal something and then refused to wait on me when I wanted to look at something that was in a showcase. I made a stink and took my cash elsewhere after I loudly announced that they just lost a sale (I was waving my credit card around while I was making my little stink). I haven't been back since.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.241.250.214
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Von Maur took over the former Jacobson's locations at both Laurel Park and Briarwood (the migration of Jacobson's to Briarwood being another "downtown-to-mall" event) and they occupy the same market niche.

Can't express how disappointed I am to hear about CPS; I was just in Chicago two weekends ago (to see the Tigers lose) and would have made a special stop, had I known.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 280
Posted From: 207.61.38.86
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is nothing new. BON TON is known for shutting downtown stores even if they are making money.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 264
Posted From: 68.62.6.138
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Von Maur is nice...

There is one in Laurel Park mall in livonia...only been in their once to get my watch fixed, but they had live piano music in the store and everything was laid out really nice...

I was impressed

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 24.191.57.248
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From some prior posts, yes Bon-Ton seems to have "downtown phobia" as the downtown stores that it closed in Allentown and Lancaster, Pa., as well as Red Bank, NJ, were all proftable Another chain Dillard's has the same infliction, and it's last "downtown" store (in Cleveland). closed a few years back.

Von Maur seems like a class operation, and on their website it was noted that ALL their stores are closed on Labor Day. WOW, finally a store that realizes you can not get quality sales help, and be open every day including all holidays (save for Thanksgiving and Christmas).
In fact it should be a national law that ALL retail businesses close on Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. Gee people might actually spend these holidays with family and friends
(imagine that).

Ken

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 69.219.37.195
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPS had reasonable prices and was just fun to walk around. I've been going on lunch breaks, and if they couldn't find something in time they'd offer to have it waiting at 6 when I left work. Nothing but good things to say about the store.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1526
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosedaleken: That's exactly how I remember the Hudson's downtown store!!!

(Message edited by Kathleen on August 26, 2006)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 595
Posted From: 12.214.88.193
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Von Maur is a good establishment. They will ship items free of charge, and if you use their charge accounts, there is NEVER any interest applied to balances. Good customer service.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 70.237.11.127
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a bus tour of Chicago this spring. The tour guide said most of the big chain retail stores on the Miracle Mile don't make money, they maintain a presence there for the prestige. Take it for what it's worth.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 67.171.17.254
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPS isn't on the Magnificent (not Miracle) Mile. The Magnificent Mile is Michigan Avenue from the Chicago river to Lake Shore Drive. Take THAT for what it's worth.

Von Maurs are great stores, and have gotten better with time. Sort of like Nordstrom before they got all pseudo-glam

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1786
Posted From: 69.209.177.31
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Americans are an interesting group of humans. Either we are just too damn lazy or stricken with short attention-spans that causes us to have such a difficult time shopping in a department store. Maybe the problem with departments stores is that people can't be seen by others or they can't see others in them like they can in the halls of a mall. Being seen by as many people as possible while shopping is very important to some people. When teens are hanging out in malls to meet other teens, their not hanging out in department stores.

Time and convenience are arguments explaining why department stores are declining, yet many people have all the time in the world to shop for Christmas gifts come Christmas. I'm sure they step into deparment stores while Christmas shopping, do they not?

Department stores were created because they made logical sense: sell the majority of items that people want in one place so that they won't have to go anywhere else. People go to Target or Wal-mart for more than just one kind of item, so what is it that people don't like about traditional department stores?

I have a theory as to why traditional departments stores are no longer popular. First of all, they have more than one floor. It appears to me that people don't like shopping on several floors, even when there's an escalator or elevator available.

Secondly, traditional department stores may no longer be popular because they don't have shopping carts. Give Americans an extra place to put shopping items and we're probably going to buy more items in the store that has shopping carts than one that doesn't.

In conclusion, let me just say that maybe the key to traditional departments stores survival is to only have one floor of merchandise and to offer to its customers a sea of shopping carts. It works for Wal-mart and Target.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 637
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone should note somewhere that the building itself is not in any danger. Apparently the landlord will take the space vacated by Carson's and turn it into offices, with the first 2 floors remaining retail.....

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1222
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPS should have carried higher-end merchandise at the State Street store to attract more shoppers. The suburban stores often have a better selection.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1223
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand old stores too old, grand
Carsons' flagship no longer destination

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0608260261aug27,1,6686663.story?coll=chi-business-hed

Can a store be too big?

The Bon-Ton Stores Inc. thinks so. The Pennsylvania-based company's decision to shutter its Carson Pirie Scott flagship next March highlights what many in the department store industry have known for years: Grand old department stores as big as a city block and older than their patrons are a luxury that few companies can afford to operate.

The Carsons building on State Street in the Loop is 1 million square feet. That's big enough to fit four Wal-Mart Supercenter stores inside.

Carsons sold the building years ago and is leasing back a slimmer 600,000 square feet inside. But still, that's big enough to fit nearly two Ikea stores.

The department store flagship grew up when shoppers looked forward to making a special trip downtown to visit the one big store where they could buy books, toys, furniture, clothing, bedding, cookware, and in later days, stereos, all under one roof.

Those days are gone, but the buildings remain.

"They're white elephants," said Homer Johnson, professor of management at Loyola University Chicago's school of business administration and an expert on the history of department stores. "There is just too much space and not enough merchandise to put in it. These big stores are no longer destinations. You can get most of what you want somewhere else."

Today, shoppers drive to Wal-Mart or Target, park in an expansive parking lot and walk through a one-level store that has all the items they need, frequently including groceries and gas for the car. But even those one-stop shops have their limits. Wal-Mart's biggest Supercenters are 230,000 square feet, not nearly as big as Carsons.

Cabela's, the warehouse-size sports store from Nebraska, operates some of the biggest stores in the country, big enough to hold an indoor mountain. Its largest stores are also only 230,000 square feet.

Indeed, entire malls could take up the space Carsons is leaving behind, including the Westfield North Bridge mall on North Michigan Avenue that is home to Nordstrom.

Flagships are "antiquated notions," said Neil Stern, an analyst at Chicago-based McMillan Doolittle. "No one really has any thoughts of how to merchandise to be effective in 600,000 square feet. The notion of a giant flagship just doesn't work anymore."

But not every merchant agrees with that thinking.

Just down the street from Carsons, Federated Department Stores Inc. has taken over the massive Marshall Field's flagship and is about to convert it to Macy's.

At 1.8 million square feet, the structure is the second-largest store in the nation after Macy's Herald Square in New York, which is 2.2 million square feet.

While Stern predicts Macy's will eventually cut back on even that amount of space, Federated is committing itself to the flagship concept.

Federated Chairman and CEO Terry Lundgren has taken great pains to assure Chicago that the State Street flagship, even as its name changes to Macy's, will remain intact. Lundgren is on a mission to revive the department store and looks to the flagships at Macy's Herald Square in New York, Macy's Union Square in San Francisco and the soon-to-be Macy's State Street in Chicago as key to his plan.

"Our philosophy is the flagships are the hubs of activity that draw the largest customer audiences and can offer the best of everything," said Jim Sluzewski, vice president of corporate communications at Federated in Cincinnati. "It takes a significant amount of money to make a flagship function. For us the concept of the flagship is very much alive."

Still, flagship stores have been disappearing for the past decade. In 1998, Hudson's 2 million-square foot flagship store in Detroit, billed as the world's tallest department store at about 25 stories tall, was demolished. And last month Vornado Realty Trust agreed to buy Federated's 656,000-square-foot Filene's flagship in Boston for about $100 million and turn it into offices and shops.

Michael Bennett, a 26-year-old shopper who lives in Lincoln Park, says grand old stores don't hold as much appeal as what's inside them. If the store has something he can't find elsewhere, such as the Thomas Pink shirt shop inside Marshall Field's, he'll make a special trip. Otherwise, there's little reason to go.

"For the time it takes to take the el downtown on the weekend, I can easily hop in the car and go to Old Orchard."

Miketoronto

Post Number: 282
Posted From: 65.92.145.94
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flagships of course can still work. No matter what todays Wal-Mart's, and smaller stores in the suburbs do not offer the kind of selection a proper downtown flagship can offer.

Of course flagships are declining when you have guys like the one in the article above who lives in the city but drives to a suburban mall to shop. Some kind of city dweller he is.

I always am amazed at how much better flagships are after you look through a suburban branch store.

I don't believe the department store is dead. Look at Target. That is basically a department store.
The reason traditional department stores are having trouble, is because they are not moving up to the challenge and reinventing how they sell to customers.

We are still shopping at department stores. Just we are shopping at Target style department stores.

If people are so strapped for time, then department stores make perfect sense, as everything is under one roof.

Anyway I always shop at the flagship Hudson's Bay Store in downtown Toronto and its great. I always find great things, have great selection, and style. Who would give that up for a friggen prefab box with two floors. I want my 9 floor department store thanks :-)

I love when I buy gifts for people and they are like "where did you get that I love it". And I go "Hudson's Bay", and they are like "I have never seen that in the store before", and I am like "well its from the Queen Street store downtown". Of course its not going to be in the suburban stores. Only Queen Street :-)

If CPS really had marketed and made that store different from the suburbs, it would have been great.

Maybe I am just weird. I don't shop all the time, and when I do, I don't mind taking half a dy and going downtown and enjoying the city while shopping at the best selection in the Metro area.

Dalangdon

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the thing that a lot of flagship stores are lacking is affordable merchandise.

I remember when the stores all had bargain basements. My mom, who liked quality clothes but was thrifty, would buy an expensive dress in the ladies department, but would go to the basement to buy stuff like kid's underwear and potholders.

Part of the success of the old-line department stores was that they attracted people from all economic levels. It wasn't until Macy's converted their basement to "the cellar" and stocked it with foufy stuff, that the department stores started getting away from the lower price merchandise. Maybe they should look into that again.

I live in Seattle, which is currently undergoing a huge residential real estate boom, yet there hasn't been a place to buy the low-priced stuff that everybody needs since Woolworth's was killed by stupid corporate management (Foot locker Anyone?) Despite the fact we have a eight story Macy's "Flagship" (the old Bon Marche store) you still have to drive to the suburbs if you want to get the sort of things you need to stock a kitchen without going broke.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 64.251.230.39
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would almost understand the Marshall Field's location on State closing before the Carson's. There's another huge Field's less than 2 miles away.

CPS catered to consumers looking to spend less money than Nordstrom's, Fields, etc. You can't even find Dockers at the Mag Mile Fields, it's Polo slacks ($80+) or up. If there's anything this store had, it was affordable merchandise.

This is too bad. As the article above suggests, most other reasonable stores aren't accessible w/o a car. Unless you want to dodge slacks with one pant leg longer than the other at TJ Maxx...

Dalangdon

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 66.54.213.11
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I say "affordable merchandise" I meant a specific "bargain basement" section.

Downtown department stores, in order to survive in the suburban-centric 60's - 80's, curtailed merchandise and catered more to the office worker crowd who came in at lunch and maybe on the way home after work. That meant clothes, housewares and furniture, tending to be middle-to higher-end stuff.

I'd argue that now that people are starting to live downtown again, these stores can (or should) start focusing more on general merchandise, and be known for having a section that is discount. The draw being that you can get your designer items and your (for example) vacuum cleaner bags in the same place. Make them a draw for all of the population, not just the people who come in for work.

I live in a neighborhood immeidately adjacent to downtown and would much rather come downtown to shop than schlep it out to the nearest mall, which is way down by the airport, and a real hassle to get to.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 451
Posted From: 198.175.55.5
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So basically, Wal-Mart without parking? As someone said in another thread, funny how we come full-circle.

Dalangdon

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 66.54.213.11
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, not "Wal-Mart with Parking" but thank you for that is a simple-minded analogy. It's nice that you tried to partake in the conversation, however inanely.

What I am suggesting - stay with me here - is that stores can sell HIGH-END merchandise along with general lower-priced merchandise. Sort of like - are you still with me? - Hudsons, or Marshall Fields or a million other stores did when people lived near downtown. Since people are starting to move back into urban areas, it might be time to revive that practice.

In that way yes - it is coming full circle.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 289
Posted From: 207.61.38.86
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can work. The Hudson's Bay Queen Street store in downtown Toronto is doing this like this now. In the basement level they opened a drugstore, and mini snack store, where you can buy things like papertowls, batteries, etc. It has been working pretty good, and even has some frozen food, etc. And right across the isle is the expensive chocolate area, and everything works together.

So department stores can do that. That is why these flagships did well at one time, because they catered to all walks of life, and not just rich people. We all like to buy nice things, but sometimes you do need an inexpensive thing, and department stores should offer more of that.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1230
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marshall Field's on State Street has relatively cheaper foods, snacks, etc. in their basement as well. I think it's heavily shopped by the employees.

Dalangdon

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seattle's Bon Marche had a drugstore on the basement level before the whole residential real estate thing took off. But then Nordstrom took over the old Frederick & Nelson store (formerly a division of Marshall Fields) and put their men's clothing in the basement. The Bon is so insecure about Nordy's that they had to copy them, which was unfortunate: Previously, men's suits were very happy in the Mezzanine, overlooking the first floor.

Obviously, Nordstrom will never do that: Their function is to smile while separating the Nouveau riche from their money. But Macy's has the savvy and the deep pocketbooks to make it work.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 268
Posted From: 141.218.35.139
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deal with it Chicago. May JL Hudsons live on forever!!!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 984
Posted From: 65.54.154.117
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.chicagoyes.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.