Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Mt. Elliott Cemetery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 69.208.255.214
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a web site that helps locate graves at Mt. Elliott Cemetery? Thanks.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Mt. Elliott Cemetery information and links can be found on this page:
http://www.polishancestry.com/ cemeteries.htm

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1032
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try:

http://www.findagrave.com/

Livedog2

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1527
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you looking for notables or family gravesites? The Elmwood Cemetery office has listings of notables in some dozen categories. And of course, they can help you locate the graves of family members.

Rossco

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for family members graves. I'll give the office a try next time I'm in town. Thanks.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an aside, I went over to Mount Elliott Cemetery the other day to snap some photos of notable Polish-American citizens of the Detroit of the past. I parked, got out and started shooting some shots when the Security Guard asked me for my Permission Slip to take photos in the cemetery. I must have looked at him like he was crazy because he said, "It ain't me that wants it its management!" So, I trudged over to the office to get my Permission Slip and I felt like a naughty boy that was caught. When I got there a funeral just came in the front gate and the manager was coming out of the office in a big hurry and said, "I don't have time to talk, now." And, he rushed past me to greet the funeral procession. Then he and all the Security Guards headed for the funeral and I took that as my cue and started shooting the shots I had intended to take in the first place. It's getting as bad as it was when I lived in California and when you went to Forest Lawn Cemetery it was a challenge to even get to the graves of the people you wanted to see let alone photograph. The trick we use to use to get into the mausoleums was to bring binoculars and peer into the mausoleum to get the name of a person then go to the office and say you are there to visit so-and-so and they would unlock the mausoleum to let you in. Sidney Greenstreet the actor was one of the hardest to get into and photograph. Anyway, it looks like things are tightening up at Mount Elliott Cemetery. This is what comes of the crush of the population boom that is going on. Pretty soon they’ll be charging admission to get into their cemetery. Don’t laugh, it’s coming!

Livedog2

Kathleen

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rossco: Be prepared with a list of names and dates. Elmwood Cemetery is the final resting place of thousands. For more information: http://elmwoodhistoriccemetery .org/

If you wish to do research by mail in advance of your visit, Elmwood Cemetery offers a paid service: http://elmwoodhistoriccemetery .org/pages/genealogy.html

Rossco

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may go with the paid service. It's a few family generations, the last being buried there in the 1930's. From what I've been told, none of their graves have markers -- so the advanced research should prove beneficial. Thanks again for the info.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 204.62.68.22
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Mt. Elliott at the end of July. I was never asked for a permission slip. We chatted with the guard, mostly is we could get what we wanted fast enough before it started raining. We also went into the office and had the manager look up some graves for us. He even walked out with us to show us where the grave was, because he knew there wasn't a grave stone. I have never been stopped, or charged for look-ups in any Detroit cemetery. I go to Mt. Olivet, Elmwood, Woodmere (they were very helpful too) and Mt. Elliott every year. I make sure I have the info I need, usually a name and death date does it. Most time I write in advance, enclose a SASE, asking for a map and gravesites. Armed with this knowledge, I can just go directly to the gravesites.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 550
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need to distinguish between Mt. Elliot and Elmwood cemetaries here. Which one had the security guard that wanted a permission to take photos?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean Trinity, Rossco?

Livedog2

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap, Mount Elliott Cemetery was where the Security Guard wanted a Permission Slip from the office. But, it wouldn't surprise me if Elmwood Cemetery might start that procedure, too. That kind of crap has a tendency to spread like cow patties. But, I would take the attitude to ask for forgiveness instead of for permission. Don't flash your camera around when you come in the main gate and just go about your business with your eye on the Security Guard. Or, you might just go to the office and check it out.

Livedog2

Kathleen

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rossco: Sorry for the mixup between mentions of Mount Elliott and Elmwood Cemeteries...the two cemeteries sit back to back (entrances on opposite sides); if you drive through both, you'll see why Elmwood may come to mind over Mount Elliott.

Here's the link to Mount Elliott contact info: http://www.mtelliott.com/meca/ contact.html
It would be worth contacting them ahead of any visit.

Also, for family research, you might try the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library. They maintain a huge Biography index covering Detroiters from the little known to the well known, in which newspaper clippings from death notices to full-blown articles were clipped from the newspapers and archived in their Reading Room Files. You may find a treasure trove (or not) on your family, but if you are after family info, this is a great place to start. Their City Directories Collection covers from around 1860s into the 1960s or 1970s, so you could track your family's movement in the city over decades.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 204.62.68.22
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPL also has Mt. Eliott Cemetery, Woodmere and many others on microfilm. You can view them them or if you are out of town, order the films through LDS Family Reserach Centers. There's still nothing like standing right at the grave of someone you have been looking for. The Burton Collection is still outstanding.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.