Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Chandler Park Gone Wild « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks this has been going on for quite some time, so why step in just now? Ah well... on to the story.

Just three weeks ago, maneuvering the drive that circles Detroit's Chandler Park was tricky.

Cars were parked in the middle of the street. Prostitutes openly solicited johns. People set up chairs, drank alcohol and smoked marijuana near the park's aquatic center, which was meant to attract families.

It was so bad, a local liquor store filmed some of the action and made a DVD called "Chandler Park Gone Wild" -- a takeoff on the "Girls Gone Wild" franchise.

So the Wayne County Sheriff's Office stepped in and began targeting the east-side park with extra patrols.

"Over the years, it's been notorious for people stopping in their cars and doing nefarious things," Sheriff Warren Evans said of the area.

"It was unruly to the point that it discouraged people -- especially families -- from using the water park," he said. "You could sit across the street and watch the drug sales and the open intoxicants, adults screaming foul language."

In mid-August, after some residents complained, deputies began patrolling in marked cars, keeping watch over the park from about sunrise to 11 p.m.

And they've seen some bizarre things -- from a man selling marijuana joints in the middle of the street, as though he were a vendor, to a couple smoking dope with their infant in the car.

But the strangest sight, they agree, was the drag race between a car and a horse.

Deputy Daryl Thornton, who used to work in Texas, initially wasn't surprised when he saw a horse walking down Gray Street.

"Then I remembered, 'Oh, we're not in Texas anymore,' " he said Thursday.

He and the other deputies watched as the horse picked up speed -- as did a car driving next to it.

"Then we see the horse take off, and the car takes after it," Thornton said. The race lasted about two blocks before deputies ended it.

The horse won -- and disappeared. But deputies arrested the man behind the wheel, whose car wasn't registered.

Since the patrolling began, deputies have seized more than a dozen cars found to have narcotics in them; cited several people for having open intoxicants, lacking insurance or driving carelessly, and served two warrants to people wanted by Friend of the Court for past-due child support.

The biggest busts came Aug. 19, however, when deputies seized two firearms and two cars, arrested two people suspected of carrying concealed weapons and wanted on parole warrants and recovered two stolen vehicles.

Evans said crime in the area has been cut in half.

Neighbors agree the visible patrolling has made a difference.

"We're happy to have them here," said Nick Hughes, 73, who often sits across the street at picnic tables reserved for "older people," he said.

"Even just the traffic -- you can drive through here now," he added, looking over his shoulder at Chandler Park Drive.

The daily patrolling will end after Labor Day, when the aquatic center closes for the season. But officials expect it to start anew Memorial Day, when the center reopens, and continue season-round each year.

Wayne County Commissioner Bernard Parker, who represents Detroit's east side, was among those pushing for the extra patrolling. Before, only hired security guards circled the area, but troublemakers knew the guards had no law-enforcement powers, Parker said.

"Now, we have an officer there with arrest powers who could call for reinforcement," he said. "That's a deterrent."

Not that the park has cleared out entirely. On the second day of the patrols, some park regulars shot out streetlights at Chandler Park and Gray, along the south side of the aquatic center. And young adults continue to speed along the circle drive, keeping deputies busy with what Cpl. James Panackia calls shakedowns.

But Hughes, sitting with more than a dozen neighbors nodding their heads at the so-called older people picnic tables, said the deputies' very presence makes him feel safer.

"I'm glad they're here," he said. "They're doing their job."

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1087
Posted From: 68.248.9.131
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a newspaper story that you cut and pasted?

Where is it from?

You've given no source information, you just lifted the story.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 68.251.225.52
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, If you think Chandler Park is bad, try the also once great Belle Isle Park. The "Detroit Police" usually don't arrive to band the people offthe island until closing time. Therse no patrolling around the island in between closing and opening hours and if there is patrolling, its so limited to the point that if someone was to get shot, the shootwers could dump the evidence in the water, go to the SS (DMV) and change thheir license plates before the police even get to the crime scene. Fortunately, this is only during holidays and weekends.

I'm gonna tell yall the truth about what's wrog with the youth, their momas was smoking too much crack and drinking too much when they were pregnant with their kids. Also, I think their sneaking too much crack and drinks (the kids) when no one's around when their babies. That, or they bump their head too many times when they were a baby. There's a difference between popularity and self respect (Ignorance). Parents, don't be dumb and let crime and violence raise your kids, take responsibility and show them how to treat and respect other without worrying about our their peers feel. There are too many younger generations that are raised by crime, under age sex, and violence; while growing up, not to go to school to build new schools and parks for their children, but to destroy the ones we have now and let government replace them with prisons. Son, kids won't be going to a schoolhouse, they'll be going straight to a jail cell.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6686
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown, is this a newspaper story that you cut and pasted?

Where is it from?

Dtown1

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a fact jeff. I've been to Belle Isle recently and didnt see one squad car. My mother and grandparents told me the kids werent as crazy and buckwild back then as they are now. They dont even go to Belle Isle anymore because the younger generation is letting it go downhill fast. Plus, I didnt see too many reasons why I should feel secure. I didn't see one piece of security there during the daylight hours. Besides, who said it was a newspaper story. Trust me, if I cant based my facts on what my grandmother's experince when she goes to park like these then and now, then thats just defeating the purpose. She could be a private newspaper reporter. She's experienced the two generations herself

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 159.53.110.143
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe this is the link from this morning's Freep referenced by Genesyxx... the rest appears to be anecdotal.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=2006608280329

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 922
Posted From: 68.42.171.216
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That park belongs to the good old folks, glad to see the deps give it back to them.

Dtown1

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gensyxx just wrote out the article Paul. That was a waste of energy and great reading time.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 68.41.154.161
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall Eliza Howell park was worse then that in the mid 80s, that's where all us Suburban High Schoolers would go to by our Drugs. The park was a supermarket of narcotics, anything you wanted, it was there. Pushers would park ther cars along the side of the drives, lots of them too, and buyers would cruise along, the dealers would yell out what they had. The cops starting executing regular mass arrests, the cops would pull up in the bunko vans, close the exit driveway and arrest everyone in sight. They did a nice job clening the place up, the last few times I've rolled through over the span of years, it looked like a real park should, families using the shelters and having barbrques, guys out playing with their dogs.

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 69.223.214.2
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, is this a newspaper story that you cut and pasted?

Where is it from?

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 839
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Chandler about three times this summer to Golf....always seems pretty decent, with families and family reunions picknicking....I have noticed alot of cars parked into the roadway, just sitting.....Always thought it odd. Rumor at the Golf Course has it that about five (5) foursomes were held up at gunpoint last year at the far tee. Anyone have an article on it?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 572
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the confusion:
PaulC got it right, it's from today's Free Press.

Herbpowell
Username: Herbpowell

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 68.255.240.248
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown, First Belle Isle has a police substation located on the island and they have 24 hour patrols. Second Belle Isle has been a trouble spot for years it really hasn't gotten any worse in recent years or anything. And that shouldn't surprise anyone that a place where a bunch of young people hang out would get out of control from time to time. When you mix alcohol, hormones, foolish pride and in Detroit unforntunately guns it's bound to happen.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2076
Posted From: 68.248.9.250
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Gambling man, I too golf there occasionally and enjoy it (especially since the course is in its best condition ever). I think you might be referring to an incident where some student golf team members from Grosse Pointe South, who were practicing there for their tryout in August, were robbed at gunpoint. It never recieved much publicity, but I do know a couple people who were victims. They were fine, just shocked...of course, their parents kept them away from there for a while, and it did not help GP-ers perception of a neighborhood which is, on the whole, not that bad.

Now, if you go twilight golfing, which I've done, you do have to contend with the wild parties and loud music across the street. During the day Chandler Park is pretty dead except for the waterpark, except for some weekend get-togethers. Indeed, weekend nights are hopping, but if the cops don't do anything about the illegal activity that apparantly happens here and there, then who's gonna stop it?

On another note, the Salvation Army will be building a community center on a parcel bordering Chandler Park and Conner.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 160.39.242.166
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought that the DPD stopped letting people on the island one hour before closing.

Dtown1

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Herbpowell, you just buttered what I said to go against it. You can't go one way and another.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 28, 2006)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6692
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me, if I cant based my facts on what my grandmother's experince when she goes to park like these then and now, then thats just defeating the purpose.

Still, you should consider a career in newspapering. That way you can write about all the shootings on Belle Isle, although they only occur on holidays and weekends.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1117
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think you might be referring to an incident where some student golf team members from Grosse Pointe South, who were practicing there for their tryout in August, were robbed at gunpoint.

Just a funny thread-jack for a moment... my Great-Uncle, a now deceased former cop, got mugged at gunpoint while golfing at Chandler Park in the 50's.

Of course, he finished the game.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1196
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats so funny about getting mugged at gunpoint?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1808
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

whats so funny about getting mugged at gunpoint?

I thought it was funny susanarosa. About as I am funny as leaving work early and getting a cocktail -- any interest in meeting me? 4:15 or so?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4266
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I read the part about the car and the horse drag raccing, I couldn't help but laugh. Sounds like a crazy party.

Last night, over 500 MSU students had a party get out of hand at a popular apartment complex here in Lansing. Outnumbered police officers were assualted, but they finally broke it up. Of course, you guys aren't going to hear about that one.

We in Michigan know how to party...in the worst way.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1118
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry dabirch, gonna have to take a rain check. I've gotta go pick up my car after work... we'll make plans for later this week? Maybe even invite that prick Merchantgander?

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 70.212.71.160
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deputy Thornton went to State with me. Good guy. He told me about the story over the weekend. He indicated that they seized a sh**load of cars with illegal drugs in them. $900 a pop to get them back. Pretty good turnaround. This operation paid for itself. They should keep it up.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Cedar Village again? Cedar Village was riot central in 99 (right?) ... My stupid ass was at a friend of a friends apartment in CV watching the MSU basketball team lose. I still remember seeing this girl with a "MSU Riot Team" t-shirt on and a frozen beer can. I later found out the frozen beer can was going to be thrown at the police.

The police tear gassed the hell out CV. Even if you were in the apartments it came thru the window seals. I eventually just walked thru the chaos and went to my dorm all the way across campus.

One helluva party indeed! Oh, I missed the Munn Field party... it was raining that night. :-)

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1450
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm a Michigan State student, and I love to drink!"

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 68.77.170.94
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just want to know, who has a copy of "chandler park gone wild"?!

Ohudson

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up near Chandler Park. Initially I wondered why the Aquatic Center would be put there for all of the reasons stated in the article. I also hated the fact that the basketball courts were located right next to the projects, that was always a fight waiting to happen. And I lived all the way across the park from the b-ball courts.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4269
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to take this too much further off subject, but no, Ohudson, it wasn't Cedar Village. It was actually the huge Dovers Crossings, a more recent apartment complex, and much more removed from MSU's campus (i.e. Jolly/Dunckel exit just south of MSU on 496). It's not geared towards students, but they've pretty much taken it over. It's a really nice place with artificial ponds and fountains and the like, but relatively cheap for how nice it is.

BTW, as someone mentioned, Chandler Park is soon to get a 100,000-square-foot Kroc Community Center.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 28, 2006)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1809
Posted From: 70.236.165.189
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well -- you get a pass tonight then. Yes, later this week sounds like a plan.

We could even invite him, if you really want to.

Ohudson

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh OK Lmich, I knew alot of people who lived in Dover's Crossings too.

I see that the Kroc Community Center in Chandler Park will be built over the b-ball courts I spoke of before. It's also being built over those projects, too.

http://www.usc.salvationarmy.o rg/usc/www_usc_emi.nsf/0/64c87 53754df50fd852571aa005059d6/$FILE/25067%20site%20plan.pdf

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 204.78.62.36
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds interesting.. how do I get a copy of the DVD.. what is the name of the store selling it?

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 70.212.71.160
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dover's Crossing? Isn't that the old Cherry Wood, or something like that? The first exit on 496 off of 96, going towards Trowbridge? If so, that was a fairly jumping complex when I was there, too. '98 grad (I was on the extended program). I, too, had many drunk nights, a la Spartan Village. Aahh, the good ole' days. Now I get drunk downtown.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4275
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what Cherry Wood is, but, yes, it's the first exit on 496 westbound right after its intersection with 96 going towards Detroit.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1085
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These types of patrols are shown effective (assuming the courts/jails actually do their part, I'm not holding my breath). So here's my question. Look at what a huge difference such a simple thing made. Its pretty astonishing actually. So why aren't these types of patrols done in every neighborhood in the city? Extra focus on gang activity.

And the worst thing? They end this weekend. So you have 6-8 more months of all this crap continuing to go on. Why only during the summer?!

Stop the petty stuff (if you call drugs and prostitution petty) and I would be willing to bet it would ripple through elsewhere.

Bottom line, this program should be copied in every neighborhood in Detroit 365 days a year.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.