Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » W. K. Muir Fountain « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tokennojokin
Username: Tokennojokin

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 66.178.220.86
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does any one know of a fountain in detroit with W. K. Muir Fountain for the people engraved on the front of it.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1538
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The W.K. Muir Fountain was on Belle Isle.

muirfountain

I checked two books on Belle Isle but can't determine when it was removed or whether it was saved and is in storage somewhere.

Tokennojokin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I have a picture of my grandmother from the 40's sitting on the fountain but I could not find where it was at. The web came up with noting.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must have been famous enough to put on souvenirs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-So uvenir-of-Detroit-Napkin-Ring- City-Landmarks_W0QQitemZ774673 0240QQcategoryZ50777QQcmdZView Item

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3569
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was WK Muir by the way?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1539
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This 1908 Book of Detroiters listing for William Howie Muir notes he is the son of William Kerr Muir and helped to organize Jenks and Muir Manufacturing. I would guess that W.K. Muir was a local businessman and philanthropist.

MUIR, William Howie; born, Detroit, May 28,1867; son of William Kerr and Christina (Hendrie) Muir; educated at Michigan Military Academy and University of Michigan, graduating, degrees of B.S. and M.E.., 1888; married at Detroit, 1905, Marion Lewis. Began active career in employ of the Eureka Iron and Steel Works, 1888; assisted in organizing the Jenks and Muir manufacturing Co., 1892, manufacturers iron and brass bedsteads, mattresses and wholesale feathers, of which has been president and secretary since time of organization. Presbyterian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason; member Delta kappa Epsilon. Clubs: Detroit, Yondotega, Country, Racquet and Curling. Office; 1441 Hastings St., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mi /county/tuscola/det/detmor-mur .htm

Maybe someone else can shed some additional light....

Kathleen

Post Number: 1540
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And just after posting the above, I thought of Muir Place in Grosse Pointe, so I went hunting and came up with....

"The next residence known as " Otsikita Villa" was home to W.K. Muir. He made this his summer residnce for several years before moving in permanently in 1882. There were extensive gardens and orchards on the property, that had been given much attention.
Muir was born in Kilmarnock, Ayreshire, Scotland, in 1829, and descended from a family of Howies, an old Scotch covenanters. In early childhood he showed a taste for engineering, which later led him into the business of railroading. His first experience on the railway, was in England in 1852, when he was selected by C.J. Brydges to manage the Great Western Railway of Canada. In 1857, he was appointed General Superintendent of the Detroit and Milwaukee RailRoad. In 1865, he was made Assistant General Superintendent of the Michigan Central RailRoad. He next became General Superintendent of the Great Western Railway of Canada, and subsequently became Manager of the Canada Southern Railway.
His first wife, Eliza Steele, bore four daughters to their union, Jennie Howie, Nellie Hogarth (Russel), Isabel Ker (Hunt), and Eliza Steele (Duffield). His second wife, Christine Hendrie, daughter of John Hendrie, of Scotland, and sister of George Hendrie had two children, William Howie and Christine Hendrie."

http://www.geocities.com/michh ist/grossepointebios.html

I would guess that the fountain on Belle Isle may have been a tribute to his memory, perhaps endowed by his family.

Tokennojokin

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture I have is very good. When I get home I will post it. It has to be from the 30's or 40's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.