Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Notre Dame High « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Counted 20 broken windows at the school the other day. What a shame.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 198.109.28.240
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what happens when a school gets closed for no reason and the owners of the building don't care about it.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 583
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelieveable. That facility was turn-key when the Archdiocese closed it.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 20.142.32.69
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shouldn't have opened this link... As a member of the Class of '82 I am still bitter on how the school was closed. If anyone still believes that religion is not a business, just research the story behind how the AOD is basically abandonning Detroit, at a time when the need for "Christianity" has never been greater.
Please visit www.friendsofnotredame.com !!!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 555
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the next logical step is for the building to become the property of the COD and have it go Lee Plaza/Packard Plant

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2725
Posted From: 4.229.81.187
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the school is in Harper Woods, just across the street (Kelley Rd.) from Detroit.

That city won't tolerate the situation for too long.

Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Unfortunately, Harper Woods is struggling financially and Harper Woods will be dealing with Regina leaving that facility (next to Notre Dame) and I think the building next to Regina, the old Lutheran East HS, is empty so there is a huge amount a property and buildings that will be sitting vacant. Next to Eastland Mall which, in my opinion, is in pretty bad shape.

It is sad...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2729
Posted From: 4.229.105.11
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, but Harper Woods doesn't tolerate unkept property. We'll see if that's still the case.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1794
Posted From: 69.209.137.86
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the official and unofficial stories behind why Regina is leaving its Harper Woods location for Warren?

Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many reasons;
* Shrinking demographics that can support the school
* When ND was open, right next door, although each school was a single sex school, many activities; band, drama, cheerleading were cooperative efforts between the schools. Regina will now be close to DeLasalle and I assume many of those activities will now be handled as a partnership between DeLasalle and Regina Although as an ND alumni who is happily married to a Regina alumni, I have feeling of betrayal (LOL).
* Physical Location, Regina is now in between two huge empty high schools (ND and Lutheran East).
* Survival... DeLasalle moved to Warren 20+ years ago and they are doing very well. Maybe ND's fault was staying loyal to the Detroit, Harper Woods, East Detroit (I know...Eastpointe) and GPs too long. I say that sarcastically...because that area needed and still needs a ND.

When ND and other schools like Trinity East & Dominican were annouced to close, I wondered did the AOD even think of merging all those schools at ND & Regina.... All those schools had some level of support of parents and students; if combined could a new school(s) on the campuses of ND and Regina been successful and be an option for residents in that area. There are no high schools left on the eastside of Detroit and the older eastside suburbs other than the public schools and the VERY expensive, but tremendous, private schools in the GPs.

I was born in 1964 lived on the eastside my whole life until 2005 (moved to Chicago) and every catholic school I was lucky to attend is now closed (Resurrection, St. Florian, St. Veronica, and ND) what options do the eastside residents have anymore?

As I said in my first post in this thread, I shouldn't have opened the thread, I am bitter and emotional about this topic.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 910
Posted From: 4.229.69.57
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"True, but Harper Woods doesn't tolerate unkept property"

That statement is not at all true. HWs is bloated with employees and very broke right now. Code enforcement is almost never done unless the city can gain financially from the enforcement. They do make sure your grass is cut ($175 charge if they do it for you) - but the house that burned down at the end of my street has sat blown out for several months without any type of attention from Harper Woods. (right across from the old high school) Thats one example but I can give 1000 more, unfortunately.

Meanwhile - with THREE viable school buildings on Kelly being vacated, they decided they need a new state of the art high school for Harper Woods. This costs me several hundred dollars a year now, on top of my insanely high taxes. With a massively dwindling class of a few hundred kids at HW High School, they should have considered taking over the two Catholic school buildings which are within walking distance.

Okay Im done.

BTW - Reginas Powder Puff football is the most incredible shit Ive ever seen ! Those chicks are animals.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4929
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An eyesore at the former Notre Dame High School in Harper Woods makes a terrible place for vandals and squatters.

Jim
Username: Jim

Post Number: 976
Posted From: 68.43.27.192
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Harper Woods School District buildings should not cost you a Mauser765. I thought that those buildings where being supported by the Harper Woods residents who live in the Harper Woods school district. Being behind me, your school taxes should be supporting the Grosse Pointe School District. Unless I am mistaken on how the school were being funded.

Mauser765

Post Number: 912
Posted From: 4.229.93.228
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah - I believe its a mil for the school, not regular taxes. I could be wrong but thats how I understand it. At least we voted down that police/fire tax....heh.

You movin before me ? ? You rat-off-a-sinking-ship you....LOL

Mauser765

Post Number: 913
Posted From: 4.229.93.228
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Text description

Text description

Therandalovic
Username: Therandalovic

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.246.53.61
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765, did you just walk in and take those pictures? I heard rumors that there were security cameras over where now.

Mauser765

Post Number: 919
Posted From: 4.229.117.191
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noooooooooooooooo - those shots are all through the windows. Although there are a buttload of boarded up windows, the building and facilities look to me to be in A1 condition still. Doesnt look as if kids have broken in or that anyone has been inside that shouldnt. I took a good look through most of the windows around the whole school, and everything looks tight. Creepy as hell though - as many classrooms look like school just let out for the summer, with everything still sitting where it was. Thats a really nice building and its in very good condition. Looks as good as the Regina building. I was in there last spring to shoot club groups for my job, thats a nice school too. Maybe too small for Regina to use anymore though.

The Lutheran school is not dormant BTW, it houses Chandler Academy currently.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 198.109.28.240
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was in there last spring to shoot club groups for my job, thats a nice school too. Maybe too small for Regina to use anymore though."

Regina has had many more students in that building in the past. Over the last few years, and especially this last year since ND closed their attendance has dropped off quite a bit.

Also, I believe that the taxes for the new HWHS are only being collected from the people in the school district rather than the entire city.

Mauser765

Post Number: 924
Posted From: 4.229.51.3
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, as always jim was spot on - the mil for the new HW school comes from the non GrossePointe side. Thatsa good thing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.