Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » ::: Upcoming Elections Mega Thread ::: » Shocking DeVos and Detroit insights « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.40.99.146
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

I've been reading the forum on a daily basis for the past 2 years and I finally decided to post my first thread that you will all deem, I hope, very important for the future of Detroit.

I am a student at the University of Michigan (School of Diplomacy) and I've been living in southeast MI for 3 years now (moved from France). Obviously very involved politically (nominated U.S. Citizen Ambassador by Under Secretary of State Karen Hughes last year) I was advised by the U.S. State Dpt to follow up on the up coming MI Gubernatorial elections and submit a report to the Public Diplomacy Office in D.C.

Last Sunday, I met with Dick DeVos personally at a fundraiser in West Bloomfield. He, as usual, lapsed into the heavy stigmas and problems MI is undergoing and how he was going to resolve them.

First and foremost, I love Detroit, because growing up in France taught me that a city is more than glitzy towers, perfectly lined palm trees and exaggerated, clean, never-ending avenues punctuated by big, large, gas guzzling autos. I have been exploring Detroit actively since I moved to the US of A.

Being a Detroit lover and someone who will really try to raise a family in a city that could have an amazing future, I asked DeVos a lengthy question: in a nutshell, I explained that MI was slowly slipping into a brain-drain scenario.

DeVos interrupted me and said that we needed more high tech industries in MI, etc. I re-interrupted him and continued: "we need a vibrant, rich cultural city to retain young adults with degrees. We need a city that can absorb the drain towards Chicago, NY, DC or Boston. How do you, Mr. DeVos, envision Detroit's future and role in MI and the US, as a major, dynamic and cultural metropolis?"
He stuttered, and looked at me sharply. He once again explained that MI was not doing good, that Granholm didn't keep her promises, etc. He finally tackled my question and simply answered that MI needed " a decentralized economy. Detroit cannot face up the challenge with other big cities for now. We need and have to empower other cities such a Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Lansing, Traverse City; some dynamic and vibrant cities in southeast MI. MI would greatly suffer a centralized economy. We cannot stop and think how to re-shape a city and redevelop it. We have to rely on our strong assets and bet on them. There are so many cities in Mi that can thrive now if we helped them stand up. That is what I will do"

Well, I guess his answer has pretty straightforward, yet extremely diplomatic. DeVos doesn't see Detroit as becoming something big and doesn't bet on it. He simply thinks it's too much money, too much time and probably too "black" for him. We have here a man from West MI, raised his whole life in fenced green gardens in exclusively white communities, not knowing what diversity, culture, a bustling city means. I was truly saddened by such news.
One has to bear in mind that DeVos is a very successful and powerful businessman with a mind that only encompasses immediate surplus and money. Detroit obviously needs a lot of revamping, a vast influx of money. Now I am not posting this to bash DeVos and please, let's make sure this thread doesn't lapse into it, but discuss and see what can be done for Detroit. Indeed, DeVos already raised more than $15 Million for his campaign.

A close Diplomat friend from the State Department called me yesterday with dismay and sadness: "Salem, I just think he's going to make it. Black people don't vote, and money talks. The odds are he will make it. And I wonder what will happen with Motown"

Tell me what you guys think. What can be done? How does Granholm envision Detroit within MI in the future? Thanks for your insights, and please no bashing anybody. Let's make this constructive and thoughtful. Thank you all.

Together, let's better Detroit.

(Message edited by Frenchman_in_the_d on August 29, 2006)

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 69.241.226.191
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind, it's not like Granholm has done much for the city either.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1906
Posted From: 70.228.57.79
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were meeting with Dick DeVos because....?

No surprise with his response. His family was involved with creating the conservative movement in Michigan that resulted in John Engler and all his anti-Detroit shit.

I sincerely hope your friend in the State Department is wrong. DeVos being governor would be terrible for Detroit. It would be as bad or worse than Engler.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4294
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to be picky, but I tried reading through it, but without paragraphs, it just got too hard to read.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 739
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...simply answered that MI needed " a decentralized economy.

That's his PC way of saying "screw Detroit"

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1094
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeVos is correct in saying MI needs change, but his details are sketchy at best and I am afraid he is being advised to be as ambiguous as possible so he gets elected, and then his true self will come out. Like for example, he says more money in education needs to make it into the classroom. He's right, so how will you do this. You can only guess that it possibly is from cutting teacher benefits and pay, but you don't know.

His response to the Detroit teacher strike is prosecute all the striking teachers and open more charter schools. Then there is the single business tax, which he wants to be gone (which it is now), and he has stated that he will let us know how he will replace some of the money after the election.

How about the fact that even though he is not President of Amway/Alticor now, he is still one of their biggest shareholders, so you can't say he doesn't benefit from lower taxes and possibly making government decisions based on his making more money (big conflict of interest that he needs to address).

The arguement of him sending jobs to China is a stretch at most. He saw a business opportunity to make some money for a floundering company and jumped at it. Due to China's governmental policy, he had to set up shop there to sell the products there. They were losing lots of business in the US due to the fact that Amway has such a bad reputation that they had to do something to make money. They also changed the name to Alticor and reshaped the Amway business to be the web-based Quixtar.

So he does know what he is doing with business. I just need more info about what else he is going to do.

(Message edited by bob on August 30, 2006)

(Message edited by bob on August 30, 2006)

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 68.248.8.159
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A decentralized economy??? Is this post WW2 and we are worried about nuclear bombs from Russia taking out all our industry in one shot?? That is absurd. WE already have a decentralized economy...look at Clarkston, or Washington Twp. This frustrates me to no end. Ask someone, anyone outside of MI what the associate with the state and everyone will name something related to Detroit in one way or the other. Why don;t we try to improve the reputation of what people think of when they think of MI... we cannot do that by promoting a decentralized economy... Get real...

Bob

Post Number: 1096
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other thing that is slightly fishy is DeVos refuses to release his tax information, which a lot of politicians do. Granholm, W, and Cheney are examples of people that regularly do it. DeVos only released a list of the groups he gave money to. Again, it may be nothing, but it doesn't stop people from wondering what he is hiding.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 69.246.29.252
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the U of M School of Diplomacy. I don't think that is a real thing. Are you in the Ford School of Public Policy?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"......too much time and probably too "black" for him."

I got a kick out of you requesting that no bashing takes place. Your post reads as nothing more than a Granholm campaign ad.

I'm a little leary of people who say/state "I talked to so-and-so and he said..." Especially someone like yourself who appears to have a political slant/agenda.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2080
Posted From: 69.221.32.59
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman_in_the_D (fellow Michigan Wolverine), WELCOME to the forum, and thanks for the informative first post.

I think that more jobs in Michigan, good Michigan tax revenue, and diversifyed industries in ALL of Michigan means good things for Detroit, and thus I'm ready to support a DeVos governership, although I am far from enthusiastic, and dissappointed-- just as I am about Mike Bouchard winning the senate primary-- that another typical "commonsense" conservative is running. A decentralized economy sounds like an endorsement of development AT ANY COST, which is code for more sprawl, and thus I am certainly disappointed. That also is not terminology that I, as an econ student, hear very much; it strikes me as wierd. Anyhow, I don't think that Devos gives much of a damn about our big city issues, but let's bear in mind: the governor can only do so much. Perhaps the results will be good if he pursues economic policy which is better for the entire state, while Detroit continues to market itself. Look at all the new investment and interest in Detroit despite the relatively crappy economy. What if someone steps in and makes the environment around Detroit even better? Let Devos bring in new jobs, and Detroit boosters go out and get the yuppies to move here. Clearly, despite all of her "cool city" rhetoric and brief, former ties to Detroit, Jenny hasn't made our situation any better.

Getting the rest of the state to care about Detroit is awfully difficult...Detroit clearly needs to do a lot of work on its own to become respected by the outside world.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1235
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need for the negative attitudes toward a first time poster, all. The post is based on a conversation with DeVos and someone who is interesed in the best for Detroit.

It gets you thinking ...

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 774
Posted From: 12.108.190.1
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with Devos' viewpoint, but the poster's commentary is off the charts wacky.

He writes about Devos:

"He simply thinks [Detroit's]too much money, too much time and probably too "black" for him. We have here a man from West MI, raised his whole life in fenced green gardens in exclusively white communities, not knowing what diversity, culture, a bustling city means. I was truly saddened by such news."

What a wild, uniformed piece of slander. First, at the outset, Grand Rapids has a significant population of African Americans and the Devos family has lavished resources on that city, including its downtown, which is lookikng fantastic in recent years. Grand Rapdis has in fact, has become a "bustling city" due in now small part to the Devos family.

Second, it's sheer character assassination to assert wihout evidence that DeVos' view is based on race. If he hates blacks and cities so much, why is he such a tireless supporter of the city of Grand Rapids?

As much as I disagree with DeVos' views (as reported above), his position is not without merit and in fact history may prove him to be right (and us to be wild-eyed optimists about the city).

(Message edited by ray on August 29, 2006)

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1206
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, Grand Rapids is 68% white

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2721
Posted From: 4.229.81.74
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salut!

Welcome to the Forum Frenchman_in_the_d!

Morena, don't act like the stereotypical "Ugly American". It doesn't suit you!

(LOL thinking about all those silly people with their "Freedom Fries"...)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 24.199.98.175
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan loves its small towns. If you look at metro Detroit, you will see all sorts of activity in Rochester, Royal Oak, and Brighton, to name a few. The activity is fine, but there is also a lot of discussion and pride for these towns. I listen to these people now and they either put these towns above or on the same level as Detroit. Of course, twenty-five or thirty years ago, they were all sleepy towns and nobody would even think of comparing them to a big city like Detroit.

DeVos merely reflects what is happening already in Michigan. He is not proposing anything new. His concept of a decentralized Michigan has an audience ready and waiting.

(Message edited by xD_Brklyn on August 29, 2006)

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2914
Posted From: 68.248.11.139
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This template sounds incredibly familiar...

...New poster comes out of nowhere and claims to be a long-time reader of the forum

...The screen-name itself

...An elaborate story of being politically connected, yet simultaneously claims to be impartial and both an outsider as well as a city resident

...Claims of attending an event/fundraiser and meeting the candidate and then having a bad impression

...Claims of a "friend" thinking the EXACT same thing

...Claims that are the EXACT OPPOSITE of everything the candidate has said publicly as well as what I have heard privately from the candidate himself and his staff

Hmmm...

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta love the inside information that this forum brings. Like everyone else what Devos said doesn't suprise me. Good work and welcome to the forum frenchman!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10523
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You're full of shit Frenchman!

Take your diplomatic ass back to France and tell your President Jacques Chirac to grow some balls and start helping fight the war on terror!

Well said!

I'm sorry, but you don't won't to come across as slamming DeVos? You proceed to take his words and create your own assumptions as to what he really is thinking....but don't want to come across as slamming him? Who the fuck do you work for, Granholm? I hate to break, it to ya man, but all the jobs that Granholm has brought to Michigan lately aren't in Detroit. Google goes to Ann Arbor, Toyota in the suburbs, and some other computer company in some other suburb bringing 500 or so jobs.

You made your mind up before you even spoke to the guy. Granholm has had 4 years and she hasn't done shit to help Detroit! Unemployment is the worst in the nation for a city our size, somewhere around 15%, the state as a whole ranks #50 in terms of unemployment. Her track record speaks for itself. If I were you I'd be asking U of M for my money back, as you ain't learned schitt thus far.

One of the few positive things Granholm has done was sign 6 gun bills into law, which goes against most tree huggin' liberal beliefs. Go Figure. It's time for Lansing's cheerleader to hit the road.

-A Detroiter still waiting for Granholm to write Detroit that blank check after she was elected

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.62.88.74
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

I was expecting some aggressive responses from some of you since I've been reading on this forum for a while.
First of all, it amuses me to always having to justify ones self. Here are pictures of my meeting with DeVos. If any of you are familiar with the State Magazine (State Dpt Magazine) check out the issue of Sept 2005 when I was nominated. (I can't believe I'm doing this)

As for the School of Diplomacy in U of M, it's a closed circuit program, offered by the State Department through the U of M. You will find nothing on the U of M website, but on the state.gov, you will have extensive feedback on the nature of this prog. (it's offered in Georgetown, U of M, UCLA, and McGill, QC)

I met with Dick DeVos 4 times already, personally, so I think I can judge and assert myself better than anyone on this forum...
If any of you are curious about the nature of the meeting: since I am an Arab-American/French, DeVos was invited by my uncle (a prominent Arab-American leader) at his place in WB to have an idea of his standing regarding the Arab-American community.

Gistok

Post Number: 2723
Posted From: 4.229.81.74
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like some forumers need to go to a School of Diplomacy a lot more than the Frenchman!

Talk about "shooting the messenger"...

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1529
Posted From: 66.2.148.108
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman_in_the_d, welcome to the forum.

Just a little technical thing, but could you edit your post (the little notepad looking icon on the upper right) and hit the enter key to put an empty line between each photo. This will keep some users with small screen res from having to scroll across the page.

Gistok, at least there hasn't been any surrender jokes, yet...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2399
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe, Sport, you should ask the Dick to tell you about "The Plan" and "Network Marketing".
Some folks call the Dick a "businessman"...That's a bit of a stretch.
He inherited his dad's pyramid scheme empire, and has shifted some of his "investing" to China.
(On the positive side, perhaps he will cut costs by hiring the Chinese to process our driver's licensing requests, or by paying the Chinese government to use political prisoners to make our license plates. Maybe he could even move the Detroit Public Schools there!)
And maybe Morena should sign up to go fight "The War of Terror" or whatever it's being called this week, herself, as it does not seem to be going well. Can't blame the French for staying out of it...They probably remember their experiences in a place called Vietnam, 60 years ago and a place called Algeria, 45 years ago. Too bad the frat boy king and his Nixon-era neoconvicts don't remember.
Maybe it's because they had better things to do during the Vietnam War.

Finally, the Dick gave 65 K to our collosal failure of a president.
If you are going to support incompetent pols, why was no money sent to the Kilpatricks, or any of our City Council folks? Or at least Jackie Currie?

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Welcome to the Forum, French Person!
Barnesfoto, writing from the former farm of Chevalier Francois Charbert

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman,

How do you know that you that you can judge DeVos better than anyone on this forum? How do you know that other forumers have not met with him as much, if not more, than you?

Why does the second (from l to r) picture not match the other three?

Since you have been "reading this forum for awhile", why would justifying yourself come as a surprise (especially given the number of inaccurate and/or bogus claims that have been made on here)?

Mbr

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sept 2005 State Department Magazine. I'm not sure what you are talking about.

http://www.state.gov/documents /organization/54034.pdf

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all negationists here,

I am done justifying myself. I'm tired of playing this stupid "show me proof game". I do not see why I would be making up all this.
One picture is not the same because it was at nother event (Woodward Dream Cruise party) where my family invited Dick DeVos.

I'm done talking. Just want you6r ideas.
And to all the bashers and negationists... God help you...

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman,

Another question. Where do you appear in any of those pictures? Anyone as worldly as you knows that people make stuff up all the time. Surely you are not that naive.

Likewise fellow "basher and negationists"...God help you...

Mbr

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I can tell there is no one that matches your description "nominated" for anything in the September 2005 State Department Magazine.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't mind the trolls, Frenchman, they, (those that have no life)
will try to waste hours of your time accusing you of "bogus claims", as if you had concocted some sort of bizarre hoax.
I saw no UFOs in the picture, nor was Elvis or Batboy in the background. You didn't even bother to photoshop Jane Fonda into the background! How refreshing.
Thus, I think it's safe to say that your pictures are legit, even if you have shown evidence a strange habit of taking photos in more than one place.
I somtimes take photos in more than one place too.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Barnes, disregard the fishy story and complete lack of evidence supporting it. All that matters is the angle of the story. Business as usual with you.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1323
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LM: "I hate to be picky, but I tried reading through it, but without paragraphs, it just got too hard to read."

Yet you seem to read or agree in the main with DetroitTeacher or Bob, who neither use many literary conveniences, such as paragraphs...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4299
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't mind if it's relatively short, but geeze, there are limits. BTW, why would you care?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1324
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't I--but you--who was complaining about having trouble (or a lack of interest in) reading a post in this thread.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4300
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but you're the only one to have replied directly to my post. For what reason? Because I'm me (i.e. because you don't like me?). Really, I don't care, but from what I've read of other's replies, there is much more to talk about concerning the original posters post than whether or not I chose to read it. It's badmouthing DeVos, so you should really be all over that.

Bob

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On another DeVos note, has anyone read his book "Rediscovering American Values?" I found it on Amazon used for a $1 and am about to read it out of curiousity. It was a New York Times bestseller, yet no one has mentioned it anywhere yet. It must not be damning because Granholm's people would be trying to use it against him. But his campaign has said nothing about it, which I would something like this would be something they would want to publicize.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So validity of frenchman aside (I've yet to see someone refute the School of Diplomacy thing after he explained it), if Devos is anti-Detroit, which we all know wouldn't be exactly shocking, should he still be supported?

The truth is that Granholm may not have been trucking bags of money down I-96 (she had a lot of other factors that wouldn't have allowed her to do that even if she wanted), Detroit is currently in the best position it has been in 30 years. That's a hell of a lot more than Engler, Blanchard or Miliken can say.

This economy is a disaster that Granholm inherited. I have my bones to pick with her, but Michigan's economy is not one of them. Engler didn't have the foresight to try restructuring Michigan's economy during his 12 years in office... and John Engler knows as well as I that all of this trouble with the auto industry would have happened 10-15 years ago had Detroit not pounced on the SUV market. It makes you wonder why he high-tailed it to Virginia after he left office...

And just so we don't forget, Flint had the same stats that Detroit currently holds, when it was still Engler's watch.

Supersport

Post Number: 10525
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen Frenchy, I never doubted that you may have met DeVos. I simply find it ironic that you start hammering on him from the get go in regards to his responses. How about throwing some of that criticism of yours towards Granholm? You've had 4 years to track her progrogress, or more like lack of. So how come you don't utilize that diplomatic expertise of yours and explain to all of us Detroiters how exactly Granholm has gone to bat for us. I'm not sold on DeVos, but at the same time, I've seen how Granholm hasn't done shit in 4 years. People can blame it on the federal government all they want, but there are 49 states in better shape than ours. How in the hell you can re-elect a governor that you feel she did the best she could do when we come in last is beyond me.

I'm still not convinced that you aren't part of the Granholm camp, slinging your mud on a public forum against her canidate.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 955
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...a city is more than glitzy towers, perfectly lined palm trees and exaggerated, clean, never-ending avenues punctuated by big, large, gas guzzling autos."

Actually, that sounds like a fantastic city. Let's shoot for that!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1878
Posted From: 69.220.233.86
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...Claims that are the EXACT OPPOSITE of everything the candidate has said publicly as well as what I have heard privately from the candidate himself and his staff

Metrodetguy:
I can't speak as to what you may or may not have heard privately from DeVos. However, there is nothing in Frenchman's post that contradicts anything that DeVos has said publicly.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1879
Posted From: 69.220.233.86
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not sold on DeVos, but at the same time, I've seen how Granholm hasn't done shit in 4 years.

SS:
Being ignored is better than being abused.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,

finally trolls have been swept aside and we can finally discuss the topic.
I "allowed" myself to crticize DeVos since I met with him numerous times and I think I do have strong opinions about him.
On the other hand, I do not know Granholm, I haven't read a lot abou ther and I'm just too new here in MI to start criticizing her. I can see, nevertheless, that she hasn't done much if anything for MI and Detroit eventhough she's a nice looking lady , and that's all props I will give her ;-) ( any pics of her a little younger? prolly mid-20's)

I urge you to check out the freep article on the plummeting of median househols incomes in MI, esp. southeast MI. It's terrible, and it's not DeVos' fault ;-)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006608300319

Anyhow, does a Governor have that much of an influence on a city? Could a great governor save Detroit even with bad city leadership? Thanks for helping me understand the State-DEtroit relationship.

Thnx.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Dick RUN
http://www.michigandems.com/se edickrun.html

Username: 1953

Post Number: 959
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On the other hand, I do not know Granholm, I haven't read a lot abou ther and I'm just too new here in MI to start criticizing her."

That's understandable. She's only been the governor for 3 of the 4 years that you've been living in Southeastern Michigan. The rest of us have the benifit of observing her for that extra year. Do you ever read the newspaper or follow the politics in this state? What the hell are you doing up there at UofM?

In a post above you mentioned that you are very involved politcally? Lol. If you don't know enough about the governor to criticize her it just seems odd that your first post on a message board would involve state politics.

I'm done with this thread. This is going nowhere. I was reading something on my BS detector from the start, but it's now reached the highest level.

(Message edited by rjk on August 30, 2006)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank, please find supports for French's (or anyone else's) claims of DeVos being anti-Detroit. Again, everything I have heard from both him and his staff, PUBLICLY and privately, says otherwise.

Ihearthed, on the contrary, the "School of Diplomacy" claim was questioned because there is nothing publicly available on it from the school, and more importantly, Frenchman's claim of being mentioned as nominated for it in the State Dept Magazine turned out not to be accurate.

Frenchman, again with the contradicting claims. How can you call long-time posters trolls on your fourth post? Also, how did you go from attempting to speak quite eloquently, to using slang and smiley faces? Rjk already got you on your "not knowing Granholm" and "being new" claims.

Bottom line Frenchman, your act is nothing new. "Ilovedetroit" and Quinn tried it last year during the Mayoral Election.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.60.138.97
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, Metrodetguy, State Department and Diplomacy is Foreign Policy.
State Dpt asked me to focus a little on the State elections, not at all part of my studies and experise.

I do not feel I have to justify myself.
Email me some day salemgh(at)umich.edu and I will teach you a little Diplomacy and get you out of your ignant, negationist shell. I'll take you to my, according to you, fictional School of Dip. and why not take you to DC. and give you a fresh outlook on what is really happening out there. Sorry brother, but some people do succeed in life, even at 23, some young adults are active in the State Department and are part of the decion making process. This does not mean I cannot use smileys or call you "brother", "bro", "man" or anything else. I'm cool and layed back.
Thankfully, you and I have only one thing in common: love for Detroit. Nothing else.

Peace.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2921
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman never mind Metro. He is our resident self-hatin black man who feels that everthing that others have done is a lie becuase his life has never amounted to anything( he is 40 yrs old and still lives in his mother's basement you know. His idea of acheiving greatness is completing Ghost Recon in less than a day).

Ignore him, 95% of the rest of us do as well.

But you know what you know. You have outlined some good points, and you dont have to validate yourself to anyone especially Metrosexual. A two bit amatuer cat burglar will have better luck penetrating the inner circle of the CIA before you get Metro to prove anything about himself.

As far as Metro is concerned, I was never in college, in the Army, or for that matter a person of African descent!

Wow the things you didnt know about yourself until Metro tells you!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman, why do you insist on avoiding many of the questions that myself and other posters have called you on in regards to these glaring contradictions in your claims?

What happend to your claims of being in the Sept 2005 issue of the State Dept. Magazine?

Do you often show (not take, because those could have come from anyone) pictures of other people and then claim them as evidence that you were at an event? Where are you in any of the pictures? And why did your story about them being taken at a particular event change to two different events when questioned about the pictures not matching?

How can you critique DeVos and his campaign one minute, and then claim "newness" and "not knowing enough about Granholm and Michigan politics" the next minute?

Sorry but a good number of people on this site aren't as "ignorant and negationist" as you. You're right about one thing, this stunt fits the 18-23 year old age range.

Game over.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2923
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again Detroit Lying,

What about your bogus claims?:

"McVeigh killed a thousand or so people in the OKC bombing"

"Eisenhower was a combat vet"

"Eisenhower fought in a conflict prior to attending West Point".

"POW Spicher was promptly returned by Iraq following the Gulf War."

"US warplanes shot down Iraqi jets firing on them as they patrolled the no-fly-zone".

Comparing yourself to noted Generals such as Eisenhower, Franks, Bradley, etc.

Insulting the military service of others, and insulting the service of fighter pilots, comparing them to playing video games.

Trying to back up Rasputin's claims of "conducting sniper training for Detroit youth in preparation for a race war, with an M-1 rifle at 1000m".

Funny that you're the only one on this site that has described himself as an unemployed (some kind of web-designer), yet you try to throw that insult onto others.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 68.61.16.59
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my whole problem with this, sorry for comparing Detroit to the cities like Chicago and New York City. Devos says decentralized, but he isn't looking to other states. Say NYC for example, NYC is the central city in New York, but its not the only successful city. There is Albany, Utica, Buffalo, and Syracuse. And Chicago, which is the central city in Illinois, is not the only successful city in Illinois. I am sure everyone understands my point now.

Also, Granholm has done stuff for Detroit. Does anyone really think that the Tricentennial State Park would have been built if Engler was still in office? Granholm has also pushed for grants from the state to get projects rolling in Detroit including the BC.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyhow, does a Governor have that much of an influence on a city?

Frenchman_in_the_d, I would suggest that if you are really serious about gaining a greater understanding of the issues, you start by learning the basics about Michigan's constitutional home-rule for cities. Here is a good place to start.

Next, you have to understand that unless Granholm can get re-elected and also gain a State Legislature that is controlled by Democrats, not much is going to change on the state-city front regarding state revenue sharing formulas and special funding that could possibly benefit the city of Detroit.

Of course, the same status-quo on the state-city front will probably hold true if DeVos wins and keeps a Republican Legislature. The difference will be that changes will be more likely at the state level that will improve the overall business climate in Michigan and hopefully improve the amount of revenues at both the state and local levels, including Detroit.

My reading of Devos' comment about the need for "decentralized economy" is that he is takling about the need for more diversified economies in our cities and regions of our state. Grand Rapids successfully diversified away from its reliance on the furniture industry - the big question is how can Detroit and SE Michigan successfully diversify away from our overdependence on the auto industry? This is something that local governments can and should influence, more so than the state government, since they know best about what they have, want and can offer.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2923
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro you are going to be OK...

Someday you will grow up to be an astronaut! Keep working hard on getting the high on Afterburner and you will get there sooner than you think!

:-)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 553
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrodetguy may be on to something: pretty serious looking around in the State Department site that outlines opportunities for young adults does not list our guy above. There is also absolutely no mention of an organized curricular program housed at UM. There is a mention of a State Department HR employee who resides on the UM campus to encourage State Department careers

Why ever would the State Department ask our guy above to "focus a little on the State elections"?

About Us
Benefits
Diplomats on Campus
Diversity
How to Apply
Keep Me Informed
Related Links
Resources

Each year, the U.S. Department of State assigns Senior Foreign Service Officers to the position of "Diplomat in Residence" (DIR) at certain colleges and universities throughout the United States. The DIR program is central to the effort to recruit the best and brightest to represent America's rich diversity to the world.

What Do Diplomats In Residence Do?
Administrative Support
School Selection
Diplomats in Residence for the 2006-2007 Academic Year

What Do Diplomats In Residence Do?

DIRs disseminate information about career opportunities not only at their home universities but throughout the region where they are located; they also

Identify and counsel diverse candidates for student and career opportunities;
Guide candidates through the Foreign Service exam application and examination process;
Represent the Department at conferences and career fairs;
Support programs sponsored by Foreign Affairs groups;
Engage in outreach to the military, professional organizations and other local groups.
RETURN TO TOP

Administrative Support

The Department of State pays the DIR salary and benefits, and Department of State-related travel expenses. The university gives the DIR a "home" in a department, and provides an office, general administrative support, computer links and tech support and a telephone. The Bureau of Human Resources at the U.S. Department of State administers the program through the placement of officers at host institutions, coordinates with DIRs on local and regional outreach and recruitment activities, and provides logistical and administrative support to the officer.

School Selection

The selection of schools for the program is directly linked to the attainment of the U.S. Department of State's outreach and recruitment objectives. Factors considered in the identification of potential DIR sites include regional diversity, academic curriculum, size and composition of student population, and level of institutional commitment to preparation of students for careers in international relations and public service. An expression of interest from the school should note how the assignment would contribute to the host institution's program and the U.S. Department of State's recruitment goals.

Diplomats in Residence for the 2006-2007 Academic Year

Robert Laing
Arizona State University
Department of Political Science
Box 873902
Room 6765, The Coor Building
Tempe, AZ 85257
Phone: 480.727.7126
Fax: 480.965.3929
Email:
James J. Carragher
City College in New York
Building NAC 6/141
138th Street and Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
Phone: 212.650.5243v
Fax: 212.650.5865
Email: jcarragher@ccny.cuny.edu

Renee Earle
Duke University
Center for International Studies
2204 Erwin Road, Box 90404
Durham, NC 27708
Phone: 919.668.1951
Fax: 919.684.8749
Email:
Hugh Williams
Florida A&M University
Office of International Programs and Development
Perry Paige Building, Room 305 N.
Tallahassee, FL 32307
Phone: 850.412.7072
Fax: 850.561.2587
Email: hugh.williams@famu.edu

Michael Oreste
International Relations Department
Florida International University
University Park DM 369A
Miami, FL 33199
Phone: 305.348.7552
Email:
Ambassador Aurelia E. Brazeal
Ralph Bunche Center
Howard University
2218 6th Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20059
Phone: 202.806.4363
Email: abrazeal@howard.edu

Ronald Robinson
Morehouse College
830 Westview Drive
Atlanta, GA 30314
Phone:
Fax:
Email:
Anne Bodine
Tulane University
Norman Mayer Building, Room 308
New Orleans, LA 70118
Phone: 504.862.8310
Fax: 504.862.8745
Email:

Leslie W. McBee
University of California, Berkeley
Career Center
2111 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94720
Phone: 510.642.8125
Fax: 510.642.6987
Email: caldip2@berkeley.edu
Peter Kovach
University of California, Los Angeles
3250 Public Policy Building
Box 951656
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Phone: 310.206.2552
Fax: 310.206.0377
Email:

Louis Nigro
University of Houston
447 Philip G. Hoffman Hall
Houston, TX 77204
Phone: 713.743.3934
Fax: 713.743.3897
Email:
Anthony Benesch
Office of International Affairs
University of Illinois/Chicago
509 University Hall MC 590
601 South Morgan Street
Chicago, IL 60607
TEL: 312.996.5455
FAX: 312.413.7857
Email: benesch@uic.edu

Robert Smolik
University of Michigan
712 Oakland Street
Room 359
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
TEL: 734.615.8684
FAX: 734.998.6688
Email: smolik@umich.edu
Ambassador Martin Brennan
University of New Mexico
Career Services MSC06 3710
Student Services Center, Room 220
Albuquerque, NM 87131
TEL: 505.277.9145
FAX: 505.277.9285
Email: brennanm@unm.edu

Email:
Greg Engle
LBJ School of Public Affairs
University of Texas, Austin
Sid Richardson Hall 3.325, E 2700
2315 Red River
Austin, TX 78713
Phone: 512.471.7237
Fax: 512.471.1835
Email:

Equal Opportunity Employer.
Page last updated: August 18, 2006

Somehow, this program is not quite as Frenchman described. He may have inflated his contact with the State Department a little.

Link: http://www.careers.state.gov/g eneral/campus/index.html

Supersport

Post Number: 10527
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do not feel I have to justify myself.

Riiiight. Because you are politically involved, attending a school of diplomacy, yet know more about a guy running for governor than you do the person who has been governor for the 3 years you've been here. You obviously have no reason to justify yourself.

The BS meter is off the charts!

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 170.153.65.23
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this post is fraudulent. The photos are obviously from 2 different events. Devos is in a suit in one and casual in the other. The room is different as are the other guests.

The poster claims to have taken the pics himself, yet why are they so pixelated? Even a cheap digital camera would be of better quality then these. They look like they were taken from the web and enlarged. This of course makes me doubt the validity of the entire post

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 68.40.99.146
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honnestly, I really wasn't expecting some people to go crazy like this.
You don't have to take my word, you guys can be stubborn. Whatever.
I wrote what I wrote, it's true. Do all the research on the net in the world. Good for you.

A few more pix. And from now on I will ignore you because I feel very stupid conversing with you.

PS. For your research on the Net... you can do a better job. I'm not DIR. Do you know what a DIR is?

Enough talking. And I will simply ignore all you say.
good luck.

Want more pix, I will send them to personnal emails. Don't want them on a forum.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 620
Posted From: 69.216.143.252
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This clown is an absolute joke.

There is nothing that he provides that gives him any credability and beyond that his "insights" as to Devos' inner feelings on race are absurd.

Of course he is French and he comes from an "important" family.

I have an "insight" that this fake's interactions on DetroitYes will be short lived.

Mikeg

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTC fake photo

Southwestmap

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohmygosh - what an idiot! A little googling of Salem shows that he is a political science major at Oakland University _ not at all as he described himself.

Oakland is thinking about offering a degree in International Relations and Salem is a supportive undergraduate. His business card isn't phony - but it is misleading. He was, according to OU, an intern in the U.S. Embassy in Paris. He wrote a letter which is used in the degree proposal.

Wow. How naive he is.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 621
Posted From: 69.216.143.252
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your good southwestmap

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest,

yes I was a studen at OU when I moved from France as a Poli Sci major. Through Oakland I got my first internship at the US Embassy in Paris. After my internship I got introduced to influential people, including a video conference with Under Secretary of State.

Everything propelled since then.
State Department transfered me to U of M (recommendation letters, connections, etc.) and got me into the Diplomatic Curriculum (aka School of Dip). Last year, I was nominated, by K. Hughes Citizen Ambassador and will get my first tour of the MIddle East with a State Dpt delegation in October.

I did start at OU. so what. Proud of it. And I worked my way up with diligence. All the way from France in a local high school, I;m here meddling with State Dpt officials, getting to meet with world class politicians. But all I told you southwest is true.

And know I also enjoy a good reputation at OU, even when being at U of M, coucelling and helping students pursue their dreams as politicans of diplomats.
Am I showing off? No. I never wanted to spit all that out, bu I hate when people who don't know me, or what I do, treat me as a liar and embarrass me publically on a forum.

Mbr

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 152.160.42.163
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to hear more about the U of M School of Diplomacy. Do you take classes? Is it a job? What's the deal.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchie,

Some people here love to rip on anyone who has any expertise that do not goose step in the same direction as they do. Stop worrying about having to prove yourself to them. Its not worth it. I fell into that trap once and just got my ass handed to me because I said I had an associates in Architectural Technology. I used that as a pringboard into planning and have more than 200 college level credit hours under my belt, but these folks only see what they want to see and have blinders on when it comes to the big picture.

BTW, I am not voting for Amway-boy.

Rjk

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I hate when people who don't know me, or what I do, treat me as a liar and embarrass me publically on a forum."

How ironic.

"...probably too "black" for him."

Let me guess, you probably don't like it when poeple assign the word racist to you also.

Pot, meet kettle.

Mikeg

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman_in_the_d

For someone who aspires to be a diplomat, your initial post exhibited very little in the way of diplomatic skills.

Also, please explain why the US State Dept. is concerned about the MI Gubernatorial election and needs a written report? How does our standing in the Middle East depend on who the citizens of Michigan elect to be their governor?

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk,

idiot. Simply.
Another hater, who spreads hate and racism.
I was using DeVos' rhetoric here.
Idiot. No other word.

Good bye all.
I'll be back on the forum in a week or so.
I'm STUNNED by so much hate, ignorance, arrogance and suspicion in this forum.

See ya next week yall. School strating monday. Yes, the school of Diplomacy!!

Mikeg: MI= largest Arab community outside the middle east. We want to monitor their political involvement in this campaign and also track their level of integration in US society.
US- Middle Eastern relations have been very tense lately (war on terror, oil, Iraq...). MI is proving to be a focal point and gravitational place in thrusting these relations: many prominent American Muslim leaders live in South east MI, many important Muslim clerics, Imams and America's first Islamic University (Southfield, on Lodge Freeway service drive). It is thus important to monitor what is happening in MI, and how the community is evolving and reacting. It's all interconnected. I hope I make a little sense here. Quite in a rush.

See you next week everybody.

(Message edited by Frenchman_in_the_d on August 30, 2006)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman,

It is alarming that someone who claims to be a student at U of M and formerly went to Oakland University apparently has not achieved even a rudimentary understanding of the English Language.

Your post is an indictment of our system of higher education if nothing else. I mean "coucelling?" That was no slip of the finger on the keyboard sir, that is blatant illiteracy! That is just one example among many in your rambling, incoherent diatribe. At least DeVos probably knows how to spell "counseling!"

Mthouston

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone else wondering why DeVos is talking to Muqtada al-Sadr in the last photo?

:-)

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for that thread.

From now on we should all post a resume, passport photo, fingerprint, and social security number before starting a thread. Oh, I forgot about dick size too.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 68.61.16.59
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, is that picture real?

Southwestmap

Post Number: 556
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks77 - don't scoff - how can we believe that DeVos really made those comments about Detroit when the poster is unreliable on other facts?

Rjk

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Your post is an indictment of our system of higher education if nothing else."

Exactly.

What was so shocking to me is that his initial post had no paragraphs with around 20 sentences without any brakes in it. He has since edited his initial post and broke it up after someone commented on it.

I can understand poeple getting somewhat lazy on the internet and not always using the correct spelling or grammar, it happens to everyone.
However, to structure a post that was probably on the level of a junior high school student, if not lower than that while he's telling people he's attending the University of Michigan was somewhat shocking.

Frenchman, before you call other people an idiot you should examine the way you represent yourself on the internet. I don't imagine that anyone that is connected with the University of Michigan would be overly happy after seeing your post. Actually they'd probably be happy if you didn't mention the University of Michigan at all.

Mthouston

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mikeg, is that picture real?

No it is not....
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/c rash.htm

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 821
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course the "CONFIDENTIAL Fax" is mis-marked and anyone with any clearence would not show a picture of a classified document on a forum like this.

Unless they are interested in self-incrimination.

Mikeg

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rbdetsport,
No, it's a fake that's been "Photoshopped".
I uploaded it only because of the similarity in composition to the last photo supplied by Frenchman_in_the_d.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 696
Posted From: 198.208.251.21
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman = tool

(thoughtless term replaced)

(Message edited by Amy P. on August 30, 2006)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2924
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm waiting for Frenchman to claim that Tim Skubick is really a woman.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy - Are you smarter than me because you choose to criticize me in a way that ridicules the mentally handicapped? If you disagree with my statements it is far more effective to engage in a dialog on an intellectual level rather than resorting to name-calling.

Maybe you too are a graduate of one these esteemed institutions mentioned in this post and you are angered that I pointed out their deficiencies. People like you are useless.

Stecks77

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap: I'm not scoffing and I'm certainly not defending him. He should have posted his first and last paragraph only and leave all the credential pushing and name dropping aside.

I just think its amazing how much people really expect from a forum like this in terms of credibility. The frenchmen offered up way too much information for people to pick over.

In other cases how do you really know who's credible and who's not?

I was just being sarcastic.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its a service to expose sophistry and cheap thinking - especially on the part of university students. My teachers did that for me and I am eternally thankful that they taught me tight, critical thinking and exposition and humilty, as well.

There are a lot of people contributing to this forum who are astonishingly expert. I deeply appreciate everything I've learned on this forum, I'd like to keep it respected and so I appreciate it when a non-expert is exposed.

Stecks77

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap: Point taken and I agree with your sentiments.

Mikeg

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If what he described is true, I certainly learned something from this thread - the US State Department is monitoring our internal domestic elections for the benefit of citizens in Middle Eastern countries.

The USA has a healthy political process and conducts the most fair and transparent elections in the world, yet instead of focusing and making that our message to ME citizens (who have little say in their own country's affairs), our State department is concerned about ethnic participation in our local elections and who might win.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I credit Metrodetguy for being the real critic on this one. I was, until I read his comments, incensed that DeVos would openly dismiss Detroit. I believed it!

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 69.153.12.17
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you stated
" He simply thinks it's too much money, too much time and probably too "black" for him. We have here a man from West MI, raised his whole life in fenced green gardens in exclusively white communities, not knowing what diversity, culture, a bustling city means. I was truly saddened by such news. "

I dont know how to break it to you, but dont sterotype all whites who are raised in the suburbs as "prejudiced and racist" People who work hard, go to school and improve themselves are not all hateful. You need to check yourself, I took that insult personal .

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty much for Jennifer, all though I concede she has not produced the results I would have expected of her. DeVos is just to slick, one dimensional, and always trying to distance himself or rationalize "high road" from the negative points that had been raised about him:

His wife was quoted as saying "That's the problem with Michigan, workers expect too much money"

There's nothing more infuriating than some rich lady telling someone making a so called high union wage of $18, $24, or $8 / hr or whatever, in this economy of no paid overtime, ass rape gas prices and inflated home prices that they make "too much money"

Or, he tries to put some positve spin to laying off 2000 people at his Alticor plant as he moved the production to China. Did you all realize that in his home turf of Grand Rapids that he ranks behind Granholm in who they plan to vote for?

Mbr

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 152.160.42.163
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The french dude said:
"See ya next week yall. School strating monday. Yes, the school of Diplomacy"

Apparently he starts school on Labor Day, a day when no classes take place at all at U of M. Interesting.

Gistok

Post Number: 2727
Posted From: 4.229.105.120
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lmichigan, you're up in Lansing.... perhaps you can meet this gentleman and see if things are on the up and up...

I want to see if we can have a repeat of the thread of the car thief in the back seat on the Jeffries Freeway. There was a real feeding frenzy on that thread with all the folks calling it a hoax, until the poster showed up on TV with everything being the truth...

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 902
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman...i've skipped most of this thread because I can guess all the conservative, hendrix-loving losers are chomping at the bit. Thank you for your interesting and unique take on Devos.

http://www.michigandems.com/seedickrun.html A MUST SEE

http://www.cafepress.com/libstix

f

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 12.108.190.1
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You GUYS! Come on! You scared Frenchy away with your nasty name calling.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i hate when people who don't know me..."

Hahaha of course nobody knows you, you're a first time poster and this is an INTERNET Forum!!

"confidential" documents, crazy conspiracys, and a school that starts classes on labor day AAH! This thread truly is Shocking just like the title said it would be!

oh my ridiculous

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 69.212.209.207
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see What's Grandholm done for the City. For one she has actually has lived in Detroit.

She Has prevented the take over of our water department multiple times.

Pushed the idea to have cool cities as to prevent urban spawl.

Blocked the removal of the SBT which when passed will most likey increase the profit to businesses, while reduce public services, create more taxes on residents, and bring no real revenew
to the state.

She has supported grants provided to the Detroit Zoo.

Given Tax breaks to at&t which have kept jobs here.

Michigan is in bad shape. Some say it's Grandholms fault that the auto makers are laying off tens of thousands of people!!?!.

Devos him self has said Bush should meet with the big 3 and stop ducking them. (paraphrase).
Devos's negative ads continually bash jenny while claiming she's the one with all the negagative ads.

Please don't make this snake oil salesman Govenor.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, at least this time you and ("Ilovedetroit") waited a few hours rather than a few minutes before chiming in on this stunt. Let me "guess", you, "Ilovedetroit", and Frenchman all "randomly met in a church basement at a (Granholm) event".

Quinn

Post Number: 903
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh for christ sakes just vote for devos metrodetrepublican and move on. No surprise here...anyone?

BTW...hahahahahahahahahhhahaahahahhahaahahaha.

Metrodet supporting freman = huge loss.

Metrodet supporting devos = huge loss.

My prediction to everyone...don't worry. Granholm will be in again this November. It's the MetroDetMeter to the rescue.

m

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2931
Posted From: 71.154.55.190
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, let me guess, "you were at (Taco Bell) and overheard a (DeVos) staffer say that he isn't actually going to run for Governor".

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 843
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, are you saying that Metrodet supported the indigenous people of the fictional planet of Dune? Seriously, what do you know about anything? Why is it that instead of making a rational and informed post, the actual retards on this forum attack people and try to belittle them.....a sure sign of mental weakness. Quinn, a few words of advice: No one cares what you think.

BTW, every once in awhile a post has me laughing out loud. This is definitely one of them.

Gistok

Post Number: 2731
Posted From: 4.229.105.79
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Gambling_man, Amen...

Quinn, why did you have to dig up that tired old line about Hendrix again... you're just feeding MDG's obsessive compulsive behavior...

This thread has gone from newbie character assassination to the bizzare to the absurd!

Unfortunately this forum is starting to look more and more like HFD... very sad.

Quinn

Post Number: 904
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it is true.

Gambling man and gistok...read the thread and ask yourself...who brought up what? Metro and his "quinn/ild" and meeting in basements ala freman/sharon/kwame run last year...as expected. I respond and you act like I AM THE ONE who brought it up. Talk about retarded. BOTH OF YOU ARE NOW IN THE RETARD PILE. You're not fooling anyone with your bullshit.

Last time I checked gambling-a$$hole...nobody cared what you thought.

"indigenous people of the fictional planet of Dune" lame attempt at humor you unintelligent turd.

Gistok

Post Number: 2733
Posted From: 4.229.105.70
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that tantrum was beneath you Quinn...

And for your info, Quinn, not everyone who supported Hendrix, supports DeVos... so get off your miopic rantings.... and maybe you should be taking some meds for your anger problem...

I won't stoop to your ad hominem name calling... it's beneath me...

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2932
Posted From: 68.248.1.26
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, shouldn't you be photoshopping DeVos into Hitler photos right about now?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 12.34.51.2
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for those of you who attacked and smeared frenchman, you should all get jobs for FoxNews. O'Reilly has taught you guys well.

First, at the outset, Grand Rapids has a significant population of African Americans and the Devos family has lavished resources on that city, including its downtown

DeVos has ties to G.R. There is no logical reason to think he'd help Detroit. There are no Republicans here.

Many Republicans have turned to Detroit bashing to get (re-)elected. My favorite is state Rep. Jack Brandenburg, who wants to cut Detroit's revenue sharing and its share of state school funding (Free Press, July 10).

More Republicans than Democrats (though not exclusively members of the GOP) see screwing Detroit to give to those in the upper middle class and above as a great campaign tactic. And why not? Those are the groups who are more likely to vote and more likely to make sizable campaign donations.

Besides, since when is the rich and white turning their backs on Detroit something new?

THAT SAID, has Granholm done much for the city of Detroit? Not really. More than Engler did and more than DeVos likely would. I'm not a huge fan of Jenny's. I didn't vote for her in the primary. She did help (albeit hardly) ensure the Book-Cadillac deal would not fall through with the death of the SBT. And um, um...yeah.

I'm just saying that I don't think anyone in his or her right mind can vote for governor based on what the winner would do for Detroit. There are far more important issues at stake that the winner CAN and WILL affect to worry about.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, you have the right to express how you wish, thats the purpose of this, I do agree with you regarding DeVos, He will not have the interest of Detroit and helping it improve, why should he, his contituency is primarily very anit- Detroit,, West Side Staters, upper middle and high income earners, rural residents and then a sprinking of other populations,, They are not a group that particularily cares bout Detroit . infact most of them tend to hate it...
Granholm has many lower and middle class supporters, wealthy liberals and people who are more socially inclined, This groupl tends to be more Detroit orientated or citizens of it . Its really simple politics,,, Each party will respond to the needs and wants of its constituency.. The major problem many republicans dont like to see is that Detroit ( luv it or hate it) is the focal point of Michigan beyond its borders to many interests, If it is not percieved to be healthy or at least coming back then many outsiders view the whole state as a bit of a joke..Thats what happens when almost 5 million people in the state live in the area. A true politician needs to see that there is something for everyone,, A tall order but not impossible,, Anyway, I do feel we are in big trouble here if you have a Republican in charge of governor and all senate, house activities, Our system is built on checks and balances. There will be little of this and the new Republican values as stressed by their ever growing religious base will be the doctrine for this whole state,, This could be very scary for people who dont fit their mold,,,

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 3961
Posted From: 68.110.101.59
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill said: "his contituency is primarily very anit- Detroit,, West Side Staters, upper middle and high income earners, rural residents and then a sprinking of other populations...."

Otherwise known as taxpaying voters.

At this point in the game, there's not much sense in pandering to anyone else, is there?

Detroitbill then said: "...their ever growing religious base will be the doctrine for this whole state..."

Gosh, with the 58% abortion rate in Detroit, the 63% out-of-wedlock birthrate, the crime/murder rate, why spoil things with "religion"? The left believes that's what started all the problems in the first place, then Republicans caused the rest, so now that Detroit is a lefist/secular city, perhaps this is the "healing phase"?? In that case, anyone but Devos!

"What me worry?"

Quinn

Post Number: 915
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently spelling and grammar are beneath you too Gistok.

Sometimes in life, as this forum has continually proven to me, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. You're a retard.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4973
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Making DeVos for governor of Michigan would be a total nightmare for our ecomony.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 65.185.128.220
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on now, no one should be understating the Cool Cities initiative. It isn't about solving city issues or fixing problems, but rather about embracing cultural identity and using our cultural assests as a basis for growth and revitalization.

Gistok

Post Number: 2778
Posted From: 4.229.81.137
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His area of expertise seems to be cross-dressing Photoshop skills... and I'm the one that's labeled retarded??? :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on September 11, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.