Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Mayor Kilpatrick and the "War on Illegal Dumping" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1890
Posted From: 69.220.233.86
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's now been a little over three months since Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick declared "War on Illegal Dumping" in Detroit. I know how it's going in my neighborhood, but I'm curious to know how the battle is being waged citywide.

Thoughts, everyone?

The Mayor's original Declaration of War is @ http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/ma yor/releases/2006/llegal%20Dum ping%20Task%20Force%20Announce ment.htm

An update on the battle in my neighborhood is @ http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/08/3-months-into-war-on- illegal-dumping.html

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 683
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only the CBD matters to this administration,that place is clean as hell

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 219
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm only updated on cass corridor, woodbridge, berry sub, and CBD... the only place of those that i listed that EVER had much dumping was woodbridge... havn't seen anything new recently, though... I HATE DUMPERS.... make our town look like shit...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2410
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drove down John Kronk today...piles of stuff everywhere.Either somebody has been dumping, or sombody has been planting couch seeds.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1891
Posted From: 68.255.237.212
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO! Oh, I'm just imagining what couch seeds would have to look like.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 962
Posted From: 4.165.99.133
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Only the CBD matters to this administration,that place is clean as hell"

Finally, an administration sees the value in maintaining the CBD and only the CBD!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4303
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.245.84.19
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The War on dumping is a joke. Unfortunately to many people in Detroit dont care. You can get away with most anything in broad daylight, and dumping most people dont seem to care about. I see trash piles in every part of town except downtown. THe problem is getting worse. On the east side I seen the remnants of some cut down tree spread all over a street! and vacant lots the amount of branches and logs was unbelieveable. Not to mention the burned out garage with 2 trashed cars in it on the corner. With so much trash found in all parts of the city I think there needs to be a major change in attitude to get rid of this problem.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This blurb was in the Freep yesterday

DETROIT: Change to eviction process OK'd by City Council

The Detroit City Council unanimously approved changes to the city code Wednesday on the handling of tenant belongings during evictions.

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and an illegal dumping task force he initiated pushed for a change in the old process, which called for tenant belongings to be placed on the curb after an eviction. Kilpatrick officials said that contributed to blight.

The changes require the owner or manager of a property to provide a large container for disposal of the tenant's personal property when an eviction is to occur. The container must be removed within 48 hours of the eviction

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couch seeds! Nomination for funniest post of the month.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh like THAT will happen! LOL!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3717
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric,
Icaught that too. Landlords who don't comply face up to $10,000 in fines.

Dumpers have been especially active in Delray this summer, crap is everywhere.

I found it somewhat humourous last week when we found three bags of tree trimmings tossed into the alley in front of our dumpster which was almost empty. At least make the effort to put it in the dumpster if you're illegally dumping. It will still piss us off, but we'll appreciate the effort to not make us move it.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "War On Illegal Dumping", will of course, only lead to more dumping. Much like a mini version of the "War on Poverty" (which gave us more poverty!) or the "War on Drugs (which has given us - more drugs!).

We just need a "Dumping Czar" to make it official.

(Message edited by Futurecity on September 17, 2006)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting that the City Council adopted the change in tenant evictions when they did. They originally said that it wouldn't come to a hearing until some time in October.

Then Ken Cockrel came to a Warrendale Community Organization meeting where the members expressed their concern over the proposed change. A week later, it's a done deal.

I'm not saying that there was a definite correlation between the two - but it is very interesting.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/09/update-on-tenant-evic tions.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.