Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit neighborhoods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smoke_em_inside
Username: Smoke_em_inside

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 204.116.215.134
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings all! I want to compliment everyone who contributes to this great site. I have been scanning this web site on and off for about 2 years. I married into a Michigan family and my in-laws grew up in the D. I am fascinated by the history of this great city. My father-in-law grew up on Spring Street between Clark and Scott. His mother ran a boarding house here before I-75 was constructed. He believes it was around 1962 when the house met the wrecking ball. They then moved to Lewerenz between Lafayette and Regular. I am interested to see if anyone who posts here lived in these areas or has any information about them. My father-in-law loves talking about the good times growing up there.

Karen8824
Username: Karen8824

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 24.99.59.224
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am from 7mile and Kelly, went to St. Jude and hung out at Heilman Park (State Fair and Brock)
Had great times.....

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2791
Posted From: 128.36.14.220
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome to both of you.

smoke'em: Detroit neighborhood names can be confusing. That neighborhood goes by a few different names: most commonly Hubbard-Richard or Hubbard Farms it is also now called Mexicantown (tho that typically refers to the retail/commercial parts of that and another nearby neighborhood). Perhaps the neighborhood SOUTH of I-75 now goes by a different name, I'm not sure. Springwells is another nearby neighborhood. That broader region of Detroit is now commonly refered to as Southwest Detroit (not to be confused with a residential neighborhood by the same name a few miles away).

There is a lot of info on this forum about this area an alot of people who are familiar with the neighborhood both in the olden tymes and nowadays. There is a search function available if you scroll down on the left panel but be warned if you use those neighborhood names you will get a large number of hits and it will be dificult to wade through things. Other key words to search for which might narrow things down a bit in your searches are Clark (Park) and Vernor (Ave) and Scotten (Street). You might want to search for Holy Redeemer as well.

I-75 construction killed the residential bit on the southern end of that neighborhood and isolated Fort St. retail from the remaining neighborhood to the north. Vernor became and remains the retail core of the area.

(Message edited by rustic on September 11, 2006)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen8824, welcome, we could have been neighbors, as I went to St. Jude's for caticism and made my First Holy Communion there. (loved Fr. Jim!)

I grew up on Novara and went to Burbank school for kindergarden and 6th grade.

Detroitej72...Northeast side child!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 789
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born at St Jude, my parents grew up on eastwood

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

smoke em, welcome. That would be Clark and Scotten, and it would show on pre-freeway maps. The area north of 75 is called Hubbard Farms. (there really is no neighborhood left south of I75, that area is zoned industrial and has been partially redeveloped).
I would guess that Spring Street was named for the mineral springs that show on old Sanborn maps.
The location of the spring was in the middle of what is now I-75 near Clark.
One of my oldtimer friends in the neighborhood mentions that there used to be another spring just southeast of Earhart Middle School. If you walk from the Yorba Hotel (negative 3 stars in barnesfoto's guide to food and lodging in SWD) to Earhart, you will see a large depression in the earth. This is where another spring was.
Many of the houses in the Hubbard Farms/Hubbard Richard area were quite large, and were converted to multi-family housing or boarding houses at some point. My own house has the telltale signs of being a boardinghouse: locks on each bedroom door, a recorded owner who was a single woman in the 1920's, etc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.