Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit's other downtowns/town centres « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 65.92.153.250
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 7 Mile and Gratiot thread made me start thinking about this. What sub centres did Detroit have?

While downtown was king, it sounds like there was many little town centres around the city, in local areas.

I find this interesting, because it sounds like these areas had hundreds of stores, even department stores, etc. Yet they sort of all worked together and with downtown, and did not eat away at each other or downtown like malls do.

Funny how malls eat away at everything but business districts don't.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 692
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

east warren near mack

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 646
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Mile and Livernois, New Center. Does Highland Park count?

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 68.252.71.71
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was Jefferson and Chalmers.
Mack and Chalmers.
Warren and Conner.
Warren (Morningside).
Gratiot and Van Dyke.
Morross and Mack.
Harper and Van Dyke.

-Newer Ones

Bel-Air Centre
Belmont Shopping Center

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 31, 2006)

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom shopped in the Grand River Ave. & Greenfield Rd. district frequently.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 774
Posted From: 68.96.231.230
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand River and Oakman, anchored by Sears, was a major player in Detroit retail business up to the 1970s. A short distance away was the Joy Road and Grand River shopping area. No large anchor store, but hundreds of shops and whathaveyou. There even used to be a DPD stationary traffic officer on that corner during rush hours.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Mile and Livernois. Also known as the Avenue of Fasion. Still has a thriving business district, although not as many upscale botiques as in generations past.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 216.80.4.207
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you also considering places like Old Redford or downtown Brightmoor? I believe there are many more like that.

Dtown1

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way Chitaku, Warren, near Mack at that time was considered part of GP. Why don't they call that part of Detroit old GP. That's why thats the area with some of the largest homes in detroit and that's wher alot of the white population is today

Detroitej72

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
By the way Chitaku, Warren, near Mack at that time was considered part of GP. Why don't they call that part of Detroit old GP. That's why thats the area with some of the largest homes in detroit and that's wher alot of the white population is today

______________________________ ___________________

It was part of G.P. Township.

Not to be confiused with Hamtramck Township to the West.

Warren and Mack is still a great neighborhood in The D, just north of East English Village.

Detroitej72...Eastside Pole...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1549
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would call Warren and E. Outer Drive a small downtown area, with the library, post office, movie theatre, banks, and the usual chain stores (Cunningham's, Kresge's, Sanders) plus many mom & pop stores and other independent small businesses. Many of the others mentioned seem more like shopping centers than downtowns.

Dtown1

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, most of mine except 5 of them were actually like downtowns.

Also, yes, Warren/Outer Drive is like a downtown. ALthough Morningside was a part of the city, it was a sub-division, or a town in a town. All the middle class, maybe even high class white folks were only allowed to populate in this area. However, Kresges, etc. change when the segregation laws ended. Now A lot of Warren ave from Alter to Outer Drive isn't much but a ghetto. However, there are a few white people who still live in that area and walk around. However, definently not as many as there were. By the way, that area was also so safe and quiet because they had their own security force, not the DPD.

the 5 of mine that were actual town centers and not downtowns are

Bel-Air Centre
Belmont Shopping Center
Gratiot and Van Dyke
Moross and Mack
Warren and Conner's Shopping Center

The ones that I wold consider downtown areas are

Harper and Van Dyke
Jefferson and Chalmers
Mack and Chalmers
Warren (Morningside)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2734
Posted From: 4.229.90.110
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Intersting comments about Warren & Mack. Part of that area is in the 48236 zip code. I have a buddy who lives on Gateshead (3 streets west of Moross), and even though he lives in Detroit, he has a Grosse Pointe mailing address.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1920
Posted From: 70.228.57.79
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a great thread from the Hall of Fame on Grand River between Greenfield & Southfield:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/24296.html?11567278 06

You can also do a seach of the forum and probably pull up quite a bit of stuff.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
However, there are a few white people who still live in that area and walk around. However, definently not as many as there were. By the way, that area was also so safe and quiet because they had their own security force, not the DPD.
______________________________ ___________________

Dtown1, I'm not sure where you are from, but this neighborhood is still very much a mixed "hood" I know beacause the Balduct area is where I have bought my first house because of its Diversity.

Many of my friends still live there and I frequent it on a regular basis. It has always been a microcosim of "Americana".

Detroitej72... Proud Eastsider

Dtown1

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Detroit72, I used to go to school over in the portion between Alter rd. and Outer Drive. There are a few White People. However, the area is mostly African-American Populated. I'm know a small reason this has occured is because of the children in the area. Also, I know about the area because my nephew's old babysitter, which is my aunt, lived on that side of town. Speaking of my Aunt. She told me she's not very fond of the neighborhood either. She saw someone get mugged early in the morning right in their drive way.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether it is African-American or not is certainly not the issue. The area is still working-middle class. Mixed black/white working class.

There is still a large number of Detroit Police and Fire as well as nurses & med students from St. John's liveing there.

I guess my point is the area is mixed ethnicaly as well as socialy.

Sorry if I seem too sensitive, I grow tired of folks calling this eastside community "the ghetto".

Peace out... Detroitej72...Proudly a born & bread Eastside Detroiter

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1233
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first your mother and now your aunt!

Dtown1

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neighborhood actually now is a lower class neighborhood. All the middle-class folks are fleeing to the pointes, shores, woods, etc. Now east of Outer Drive it may be a mixture of culture. However, west of their, nono. When I rode down warren, there wasnt much but lower classs clothing stores, liquor stores, and abandoned buildings. I middle class community would at least have some upscale store in their neighborhood. Blue Pointe is the only upscale restaurant over ther. A lot of the businesses are leaving because of the crime rate. Also, if it was a middle class neighborhood, wouldn't they have a 24/7 security force. If there was ones, their wouldnt be so much crime in that area. also, a lot of the folks from St. Johns come from the Pointes. Why would people that wealthy still live in a lowering of the class neighborhood. A lot of the homes that are over there are abandoned. Oh and by the way 72 I"M AN EASTSIDER TOO! Only a true eastsider can admit to the faults and not cover them up.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Far from covering them up.... You can either see the glass half full or half empty. I, as the prince of impartialality choose to see the glass is half full.

When I walk along the streets of East Warren & Outer Drive, I see the vast steps that caring folks in this hood have taken to ensure that this neighborhood will survive... Long after You (Dtown1) and I are LONG GONE.

Detroitej72...caretaker of the eastside

Detroitej72

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, interesting that you should say the middle-class are fleeing. I have never "fled" from here.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on September 01, 2006)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth and Evergreen once was a smaller sized center with numerous stores centered around a Federals and Great Scott!

SW Detroit has Vernor St, and the Michigan Junction area.

As a young planner we would often shop at Grand River/Greenfield. My grandparents lived near the A & P there.

Dtown1

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 68.253.101.134
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Detrioit72, You must be LOWER CLASS if you still live over there. Plus, your the one only seeing it half FULL! You may be partially right. I'm also right. In 10-20 years, a lot of the people would have fled to the pointes, at least the ones left, or have died. Then there won't be NO MORE WHITE PEOPLE, NOT JUST A FEW WHITE PEOPLE.

Dtown1

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH AND BTW, I"M LIKELY YOUNGER THAN YOU YA OLD TURKEY! I CAN"T WAIT TIL DUCKERS AND COVER UPS LIKE YOU DIE!

Gistok

Post Number: 2738
Posted From: 4.229.105.198
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1, quit with the Ad Hominem crap...

That area is still nice. Home prices have remained steady. My mother still lives on Marseilles... the area is still regular MIDDLE CLASS. Anyone who buys a home in that area cannot be lower class, since most houses cost over $100,000 on her street. Granted there's poorer housing stock between Warren & Mack. And yes some homes are becoming rentals, which doesn't help the neighborhood.

But that area is not going into the toilet like you tend to think.

Dtown1

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Mikem reminded me on my Winkleman post, Houston-Whittier and Kelly was something like a downtown with the civic center and Shopping districts and schools and businesses. there was even A bank on Flanders behind Al's furniture store. It's his showroom now. however, if ou look at the design of the building, you could tell.

Oh and Gistok buddy, Don't you think the property values was higher in that area before 1980. come on now. I know a lot of lower class residents who can afford $100,000 homes. You and 72 need to stop covering up things. Why only make up your bed half way.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 01, 2006)

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 01, 2006)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 24.98.220.175
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor and Springwells with the Paradise candy/ice cream shop, the Rio Theatre and the Cunningham's Drug Store.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 75.10.1.205
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitej and Dtown you must be my neighborhood cousins. All of that little slice of eastside, is much of the different places ive live, Nottingham near warren, east english village on bedford. near mack and chester on lodewyck. and other side of 94 on sinclair. and ofcorse 7mile and gratiot. my step dad is trying to sell his house on lodewyck there has been more crimes and such lately and hes tired of detroit(hes dpd). Its nice to meet fellow eastsiders from detroit. I went to school at east detroit high and most of my classmates didnt know anything about detroit even moross area at all(other than to get to GP). sorry for drunken typing

Dtown1

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TY STEELWORKER. Thank you for being real about the eastside.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 725
Posted From: 75.10.1.205
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohhh btw how old are dtown1???

Dtown1

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parts of the 7mile/Gratiot area is horrible. However, Ive live between Hovver and Schoenherr north of seven Mile and my Neighborhood is pretty well kept. as a matter fact, most of the home in the center of the parallel streets between hoover and schoenherr are well kept. Anything north of State Fair and east of Schoenherr is beautifal. Now Home ranges around $150,000 over there. A lot of the middle class live over there too. However, its not as crime ridden as Morningside or East English Village.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 02, 2006)

Gistok

Post Number: 2753
Posted From: 4.229.105.140
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1, first of all, the median house value of that area in the 1970's and 1980's was about $30-$40,000. It has actually risen in the 1990's faster than any other time period.

And on the otherhand, you are correct on one item. They area is not as immaculate as it once was. That is partly attributable to folks renting houses (a bad sign for neighborhood upkeep), and also the current poor job market. This has caused a lot of empty bank owned houses to spring up in that area, as well as the rest of SE Michigan.

Dtown1

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 68.73.193.136
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, all the homes in the 7 mile/Gratiot area were from the 1940s. Very few if any are brand new over here. However, homes have been dpringing up in the morningside area (Alter rd. development, Marlborough estate). However, Part of the "middle class" neighborhood is under the empowerment zone of the city, because the lower class has let it go to waste. Once they mess up those homes, they will continue to move further past Alter rd. and start working on destroying those homes and letting them go under maintenance. Now as for my area, were not under any city projects like morningside is. Most of the people in my area can afford to keep up maintenance on their homes and even own them

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 155.79.138.253
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks as if East Jefferson Avenue at Chalmers was a significant shopping district back in the day.

In addition, Grand River in the Rosedale Park, Grandmont, and St. Mary-McCrary neighborhoods was also a major shopping district.

It also looks like Dexter Avenue between Joy Road and Davison Avenue had a remarkable shopping district.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.