Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ontario tourism campaign directed at Detroit residents « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Windsor Star online....

Ontario tourism ad campaign launched:
Directed at Detroit residents

Canadian Press
Published: Friday, September 01, 2006

TORONTO -- A government-sponsored advertising campaign has been launched in Michigan aimed at attracting more visitors to Ontario.

The $577,000 campaign -- developed by the Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation - was unveiled in Pontiac, Michigan by Energy Minister Dwight Duncan, the Windsor-St. Clair member of the legislature.

The campaign will include advertisements on some Detroit radio and television stations and on some 100,000 coffee sleeves to be distributed through high-end cafes in Detroit.

Ads promoting Ontario will also appear at University of Michigan football games.

Tourism Minister Jim Bradley says the fall tourism campaign reminds Michigan residents that Ontario is just a short drive away for a "perfect romantic getaway or a golf weekend."

© Canadian Press 2006

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously this is for the whole Metro Detroit area. It's interesing how they don't even bother differentiating that and they just refer to it as Detroit. That's what it is to everyone outside of Michigan. I like it!

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 207.61.38.86
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

METRO Detroit has alot of residents who do consider the entire METRO area DETROIT, also.

Detroit should market in Ontario. Alot of people don't know what Detroit really has to offer, including great museums, and some great theatre that sometimes could give Toronto a run for its money.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 279
Posted From: 69.212.35.13
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When traveling, and asked where we're from, I alway say "Detroit" (which po's my wife, and she corrects me by saying "Bloomfield Hills" ( as if anyone in TX, CA, Toronto or NYC knows where that is. Or cares.)

Upinottawa

Post Number: 495
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld, you are right: no one from outside knows of or cares about Bloomfield Hills. In fact, there are probably 50 Bloomfield Hills in the United States.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2741
Posted From: 4.229.105.198
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with 3WC... it's fun to see folks reactions about Detroit.

If they ask me about it being dangerous... I just yawn and say "yes... it does get tiresome shoveling corpes off your driveway every morning..."

And then after they realize they've been zinged, I laugh and say... "it's just like living in any other metro area."

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2742
Posted From: 4.229.105.198
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I'm not too keen on the idea of Ontario "coffee sleeves"... If I find one around my coffee in a coffee shop, I will go up to the manager, yank it off... and say "I thought were were getting rid of Canadian garbage?" :-)

(No offense to our Canadian forumers!)

Upinottawa

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, you discovered our new way of importing Toronto's garbage...recycled coffee sleeves. Just wait until you get served coffee in previously used coffee cups stamped with Ontario logos. :-)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Helped proved my point.

Does Detroit target Canada?

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/79965.html?1156385140

Upinottawa

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thnk2mch, I remember that Detroiters targetted Canada in some war a few years back....

Now that Canadian dollar is worth a lot, Detroit should be advertising to Windsor and beyond. Let's face it, the more 2-way tourism the more great shows, museums, restaurants, etc. will be sustainable on both sides of the river.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, you will notice that VisitDetroit.com includes things to do and places to stay on both sides of the river and 8 mile.

http://www.visitdetroit.com/pl acestostay/

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5811
Posted From: 24.57.57.12
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To someone in Toronto: Ferndale, Troy or Allen Park are "Detroit". As much as Scarborough, North York, Weston or Concord are "Toronto" to someone from Detroit.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 65.92.73.214
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In any city, the suburbs really are part of the city anyway. Even when my suburb was a seperate city from Toronto, we never considered it seperate from Toronto.

Same goes for Detroit. Alot of the old timers still say they live in Detroit even if they are from the burbs.

But the new breed of suburbanites are different. I remember I was on a trip with aunt and uncles and someone asked where we were from, and my mom said Toronto, and then my uncle goes "I am from Richmond Hill". And they were like "wheres that", and hes like "just five min north of Toronto". I could not believe it. Hes only 20min from downtown Toronto and acting like hes from a different city.
But thats the way the new suburbanites are in the new suburbs.

Anyway back to tourism, you guys really need to market. Windsor and Detroit should have a huge marketing effort going, marketing the region as a BI NATIONAL METRO CITY.

Hell my friend who came to Detroit with me and is not even into cities, had a blast, and has asked me when we are going back already.
Theres so much to do in Detroit.

I have a tourism degree. Any jobs at DETROIT TOURISM for me???????????????????? :-)

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 68.253.101.134
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes on one episode of who Wants to be a Millionanaire, there was this lady on there playing for a million dollars. Now here's how segregated she is. She lives not even minutes from the city of Detroit and still said Farmington Hills, MI. However, She did tell regis it was a town outside Detroit.

there's another kicker....

The computer picked out a question about the area. Now this is interesting also because of the topic. It said which of these cities are closest to canada. IT had Chicago, NYC, Detroit, and some other city. She almost couldn't answer the question. Regis was in his seat just shaking his head. I don't like she used a lifeline because she was out of them. However, she should have been the first one to know. She lives in the city closest to Canada. Just thought I could point that out.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 438
Posted From: 64.228.108.98
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think people usually simplify their 'point of origin'when they are talking to people in a completely different city, not a neighbouring municipality. Given how effectively two levels of Conservative governments in this country (federal and provincial) use Toronto as a wedge issue when campaigning immediately outside city limits, I must conclude people here, like people in Detroit or any other big city, are quite aware of their municipal boundaries. That might also help explain why Montreal and Toronto were both opposed to forced amalgamation, as were many of the suburbs involved from both cities. Maybe UpinOttawa can add to this- how well received was Ottawa's merging with its suburbs? I haven't read much about Ottawa's experience.
On a different tourism thread from a looong time ago, I mentioned Philadelphia was advertising heavily for tourism on Toronto-area stations, and I wasn't sure if they were also courting residents of other cities like Detroit. I'm curious as to how effective this was for Philadelphia. Without exception, the only people I know who visit Phillie go for a sport event or a concert. This is probably also due to the fact that driving all the way to Philadelphia instead of NYC which is about the same distance from here. I suppose this proximity to New York City means the city of brotherly love will probably always face serious tourism competition from the Big Apple.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1217
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30% of the population smokes.... of which is now illegal in ontario...

i wonder why tourism is down...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.