Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Tax/Property Online Database Fees « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of Sept. 5, the Shitty of Detroit is going to start charging a $2.00 "convenience" fee each time you use the City's Tax and Property Databse online. Residents will be able to access (for free) any properties that are registered in their name. Is it just me or shouldn't residents have access to ALL data on the site, since our exorbatant taxes are paying to maintain the site???? This is just bullshit. This information is public information. I realize that it is not a prerequisite that we are able to access it online, but it galls me that we have to pay MORE to look up information we ALREADY paid for on a website we PAID for with our taxes. Go figure....One more nail in the coffin....I sometimes wonder at what point I lost my mind buying a house in the city...I guess my heart overruled my brain....

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...the Shitty of Detroit..."

LOL!

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 69.153.7.127
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may want to discourage you from using the online tax information because it makes a great source for "comps", i.e, comparisons. I used houses that are 3 blocks from mine when I had to go to the tax appraisal office to protest the increase in valuation of my home

Actually, the Appraisal encourages you to use their site for comps, it gives you some support in pleading your case. Sorry to hear this, its really eye opening for me, a potential citizen. Thanks , Jane

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1236
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just go to city hall and its free...

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 69.246.29.252
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a joke. The information is already out there. All this does is discourage people from trying to figure out who owns vacant parcels or run down properties, thus making it harder for average citizens to put pressure on them to make changes. I've used it before to figure out who owns certain buildings and contacted them directly to complain about blight or trash, it is very effective. Where at city hall is it free? Won't they charge you for the printout?

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know if they charge you to print it out, but if they did you could write it down....

The city needs $$$

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

billybbrew, I have been to city hall for records, and it was an unbelievable hassle, with rude, unknowledgable employees, and ended up being a complete waste of my time.....

That said, in the city's defense, this internet service is not an essential right to the citizens, and while it is annoying, and can certainly be debated, the city is able to justify this.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps when MCM2026 becomes the "MCM", he'll make it so Shitty Hall is open 24/7 like the internet, and reduce my millage, take away part of the income tax I pay, as well as the shitty taxes on every utility/phone bill I get in the mail, since I will no longer need the internet site that I'm currently paying for. Of course, maybe if I was a student and didn't have to work 2 jobs to pay so much money to the Shitty, I'd have time to go down to Shitty Hall.....

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4318
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could make a better argument if this would generate them any real money, and if just about every other municipality in the state (and probably the country) didn't have free property look-up program on their assessment website. It really doesn't make much sense, and makes it harder for those increasingly coming to grips with the Information Age looking to move to the city, or buy into the city.

The last thing Detroit needs is to make itself less accessible during a time when it needs to be more accessible and user-friendly than ever before in its history.

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 02, 2006)

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 208
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed this too, i was trying to see if my prop sale had goen through. The city will charge you for anything if they could right now...hence the reason they decided to install parking meters that take credit cards. they feellike they'd get their 75 cents upfront then try to spend $30 to get money from a $20 pkg fine

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 418
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this too. How stupid is this? Why would I put $2.00 on a credit card anyway?

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 24.192.188.205
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as a frequent user of the data this is really gonna put a hitch in my business in the city of detroit, $2 to look up some information that for the most part is not even up to date and is missing most of the vital information???? what a joke, just a small part of why detroit is never going to be what it could, nickel and dime everyone living there to death for services that are sub-par

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 69.134.218.45
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only mild defense of Detroit is that Oakland County charges up to $7 for info per property!

With the lack of economic growth in the area you'd think they'd follow the lead of every other locale across the country and make the info free - you know, maybe encourage development a little rather then nickle and dime user fees. Just overall poor policy.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1779
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two fucking dollars people.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7822
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DialH - You know how it works in Detroit. Everything should be free whether the city is broke as shit or not.

People want the budget resolved but want every service free. The illogical thinking of Detroit.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 35.12.21.108
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Two fucking dollars people."

That adds up real fast if you want to do any substantial research.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1780
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are doing "substantial research" for business I guess you need to work that into your business model from now on.

If you are doing "substantial research" so you can post on this forum about how you tracked down the derelict owners of downtown properties as a public service for all of us, well, I guess you pay to play now.

Either way, it's hard to see this as a substantial burden for most legitimate non-recreational inquiries.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1937
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the $2.00 fee will hit non-profits and community groups that use the site in conjunction with the Wayne Co. Register of Deeds site to find and go after problem property owners.

As far as the business world, it won't affect them much. Legitimate businesses use other sources to get land information.

My guess as to why they'll be charging for the service is that the bandwidth used for the site is astronomical. On a regular basis the site is busy due to too many users. The $2.00 fee will limit the site to folks who really have interest in a certain property and eliminate those poking around out of curiosity.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 420
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't it say that if you are looking up your own property it is free?

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 208.44.60.32
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, looking up your own property will remain free. I remember about 10 years ago I would have to go down to the City Planning department to get owners information about an address. It cost $2 then also but you had to purchase the information with a money order. No cash, checks, or credit cards excepted. When I asked why I was told that the money always came up short for the number of properties being researched.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.