Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Record collectors? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 69.246.45.147
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would there be any interest among vinyl collectors/music snobs in the metro area to form a sort of group for booze and record listening parties? Something like Record Afficionados Detroit (RAD), where someone hosts a get-together where the kids can bring their favorite platters to someone's place and we just sit around and listen and drink and swap and well, yeah. I dunno. Seemed like a good idea when I sat down to write it. Could be fun or could be incredibly lame, but I'm always curious to find out what people have on their shelves.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 701
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i could be down,i have a decent collection

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 68.41.154.161
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in! What genre and period are we talking?

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 69.246.48.136
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might be into it, as long as it's not exclusively one genre. You might want to talk to Brad from People's Records about starting up such a thing.

Chitaku

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it should be any genre. I have a good mix of stuff

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 69.246.45.147
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, any and all genres. I guess my forte is mostly '60s garage rock, but I have a lot of soul and r&b. I guess the only things I don't have a lot of are jazz and country (other than the usual Cash stuff).
I don't know Brad at People's.
I'd even be open to doing it somewhere other than a house if we can find an outlet. I have one portable turntable. I'm sure other people might, too.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 280
Posted From: 68.61.97.142
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a group associated with the Soulful Detroit site that met on a monthly basis for about two years. I think that there are plans for future meetings.

Chitaku

Post Number: 705
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Brad, he runs funk night. Where could we have this at, that wouldn't really charge us. All i have is a dinky apartment otherwise i'd offer.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 516
Posted From: 24.192.148.150
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I have alot of records too.. All Trance, Dance and Techno...

Cambrian

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 68.41.154.161
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the library in my city has a conference room that residents can use, other cities have that too I'm sure.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 12.34.51.2
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be open to a library conference room, though I wonder if they'd object to kicking out jams in a library.
I'd offer my place if we can't find an external place. I live in New Center. Would be nice if we didn't have to pay for space.

Cambrian

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right! The gatherings could not be seen as disruptive to the operation of the library. I picture something like those old school portable phonographs my elementary school teachers had. They were not capable of major sonic assaults, but the sound quality was still halfway decent.

Cambrian

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe we could approach a second hand record shop about letting us do it at their store? There are several around here. Solo records in RO, Flipside in Clawson, Street corner records in Beverly Hills. Hopefully, the people in the group would reward the host store by purchasing records from them. Therefore, they would be happy to see us coming back the next month.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 24.220.197.208
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, if you're into 60's garage rock, check out www.3wk.com. They are basically a mom and pop radio station that is streaming only. They have two feeds a new independent feed and classic underground radio. I discovered the classic feed about two years ago and found music paradise. They play 95% of their music from vinyl. Anything from the Standells, MC5, Stooges, Led Zeppelin, Spooky Tooth, Lollipop Shoppe, Chocolate Watch Band, Black Sabbath...and tons more, all 60's and 70's. The station made me really delve into collecting vinyl, especially since some of the great music they play has not been released on cd yet.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picture something like those old school portable phonographs my elementary school teachers had. They were not capable of major sonic assaults, but the sound quality was still halfway decent.

That's what I have. They're called Califones. And I dunno, man, they can get pretty damn loud. Not the clearest speakers when cranked, but trust me, it can kick out the jams.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 4.229.141.14
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I picture something like those old school portable phonographs my elementary school teachers had. They were not capable of major sonic assaults, but the sound quality was still halfway decent.

That's what I have.

Sounds like I need to bring my Capt. Kangaroo album. :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6625
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been getting back into vinyl for a few years, collecting and re-buying some of my old favorites and anything special I encounter in antique stores, pawn shops, and used recored joints...in my travels around the country.

I've YET to buy my own turntable...but vinyl sounds SO damn much better than anything digital this side of 24-bit 96k-sampled stuff it ain't even funny. I cannot even listen to the highly compressed MP3 stuff most people download and think is great reproduced music.

ONE comparison demo, and everybody can hear the difference...especially with cymbals and other higher harmonics.

THEN, put this better unified soundwave into a simple Pro-logic or PL II surround processor...and you've got some of the best surround music available.

You'll cream yourself on some of the old rock stuff created for Quadrophonic sound, since those old matrixes (the odd-phase mathematics for dividing two-channel stereo into four- or five-channel surround) are NOT too dissimilar to what ended up in our Pro-Logic surround processors.

Don't play anything of any value on one of those shitty old one-piece Califone 'record players'...the tonearm and stylus will carve a NEW groove and just destroy the vinyl.

Also, try NOT to repeat playing your discs, there is some evidence that the vinyl needs to 'rest' and cool before suffering another drag of the needle.

That stuff you're scratching...well, it's gone already...from a high-end audio viewpoint. You've rubbed out the highest frequencies...all the 'air' and detail of the music.

Anyone need advice on turntables, lemme know. heh. I'm still a MF at setting 'em up, and I've learned it is quickly becoming a lost art. EVERY single DJ setup I've peeked at had their Technics SL-1200s all screwed up.

I didn't say timely...oops, gotta go work on Skulker's turntable now. Word is he's got a hit man out on me now...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 612
Posted From: 68.42.162.164
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saved a few vinyls. An "uncensored" MC5 disk and an ancient (pre-vinyl, bakelite?) foxtrot disk are buried in the basement.

Gannon

Post Number: 6627
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have a BASEMENT in AZ?!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 708
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz (and Gannon) here's a link to a cool video of Ellington making a record in 1937 (when those 'ancient fox trot' recordings were popular)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hjKlFFp4-IE&search=%22Duke%20 Ellington%22

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Ellington video is AMAZING, Jimg!

As for the Califone, it'll destroy vinyl... if you have a crappy stylus in it. :-)
I need to get a better setup for my main turntable. I have some all right speakers that I'm running through an ancient receiver that I've kept only cuz it has a "mono/stereo" switch. haha

Jimaz

Post Number: 614
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you're correct. There are no basements in Phoenix. I've since joyously relocated to Shelby Township, MI where the basements are marvelous.

Jimaz

Post Number: 615
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, thank you so much for that link! I've worked some of those plating baths myself.

Gannon

Post Number: 6636
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...Jimaz, just keep those albums dry and stacked vertically.

Gotta save that cover art for the children, they just DON'T understand what we grew up with...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albums are just so much cooler than CDs. I guess I grew up listening to my parents' Beatles and Queen LPs, but CDs were all the rage.
Still, when I found a second copy of "Kick Out the Jams" with the liner notes from John Sinclair, I couldn't help myself. Besides, why pay $12 to $16 for a CD when you can get it on vinyl for $1 and then rip and transfer it to CD (if you need to)? :-)

Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a reconditioned Fisher 400 tube receiver and man does that thing sound great when playing LP's. Tubes are the way to go. Also tried out the Audio Technica AT440MLa cartridge. It has a microlinear stylus, which has awesome sound reproduction. If you like to hear good strong bass, this is the stylus for you. The microlinear stylus gets down deep in the grove and is the closest match for a stylus to the original cutting head.

I have to agree with you Gannon, that LP's are the best source for music (as long as they are in good shape and have been care for). If you get a good cartridge, you will have tons better sound reproduction than with a CD, especially with some cartridges getting 30,000 to 60,0000 (HZ) frequency response. However, unlike me most people would rather have the convenience of a cd or mp3 player.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where'd you find it, 'shroom? I'd love to get something with tubes. My biggest problem is that I have a U.K.-made turntable from the '60s that I love, but it just can't handle some of the bass and higher output from new LPs. I throw on Beck or something a tad more rockin', and it just gets distorted (sounds like it's skipping).
Whenever I want to listen to anything post-1990s on vinyl, I have to play it on the Califone. And that ain't the same.
I don't own an iPod and don't plan to buy one.

Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, I bought my Fisher 400 from Audio Classics (http://www.audioclassics.com). The early McIntosh receivers are also excellent vintage tube receivers. I highly recommend them for vintage equipment, as they will go through the equipment and get it top shape if requested. They are always getting new used stuff in, so check their page frequently. They may seem a bit pricey, but it is well worth it if your are seriously into music. Your vintage Michigan rock groups like the MC5, Stooges, Aorta, and Grand Funk Railroad (just to name a few) will sound even better on one of those.

I have a Technics 1200 turntable connected to the Fisher. The Technics is a great turntable and is still manufactured due to its high reliability and likeness by dj's. I love it and it works great. The only drawback is the fact that it was designed for dj use and may lack a few of the features that many home units had.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Yeah, I can't afford $5K. :-)

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 522
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz you are in my backyard.. lol.. I live in shelby twp myself.. unless you meant shelby michigan.. lol...

Yeah I have 2 t-1200 techs of course.. and a mixer too...

Gannon

Post Number: 6861
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk,

No WAY that turntable should have any sort of trouble with 'modern' records and not everything.

I suspect it is seriously mistracking, and you happen to only hear it on the stuff you don't expect to be distorted.

Any turntable should be able to get all the vibrations of the groove into the stylus without causing it to jump out, or bang into its walls.

If it can track the heavily modulated complexities of full orchestra, it'll handle the relatively simple harmonics of electronica.

These things should be able to fully reproduce the 1812 Overture, I don't care how cool and high-caliber hip hop tries to be...they ain't packing cannon.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These things should be able to fully reproduce the 1812 Overture, I don't care how cool and high-caliber hip hop tries to be...they ain't packing cannon.

hahaha or is that "Canon"? (As in Pachelbel's)
It's hard to describe, really. It's an old stylus, so that's probably the problem. It has NO problems on any record made pre-1988, and even then only on records with lots and lots of bass.
I might get a fancy direct drive sometime, but I really like this turntable. Very classic looking. Plus it's British. :-)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where does everybody shop for their vinyl?
I usually frequent:
Car City in St. Clair Shores
Record Graveyard in Hamtramck (though the owner is far from friendly)
Record Collector in Ferndale

Jimaz

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitaldom, I have breakfast daily at the Van Dyke & 21 Mile Big Boy. Say hi if you're there. I'm the guy in the classic leather biker jacket.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitaldom is a record store? Where is it? At Van Dyke & 21 Mile, too?

Jimaz

Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scroll back & ignore that.

Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I live in North Dakota and record stores are non-existent here, I have to purchase my vinyl online at either GEMM.com, Banana's (which I highly recommend), or a few other places.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrotimes article "Out of the Groove", Brian Smith, 5/10/06 has lots of info on metro vinyl stores. My 2 favorites are in Dearborn, Stormy Records and Dearborn Music. Windy & Carl have moved Stormy upstairs above Green Brain Comics, 13210 Mich Ave. Dearborn Music excels at old jazz, plus a turntable & headphones for sampling....and I love the creaky old wood floor!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Island, I love that floor, too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.