Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » CNN safest cities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 706
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://money.cnn.com/magazines /moneymag/bplive/2006/top25s/s afest.html

props to Clinton Township, where I was raised, the place is so safe it is painfully boring

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 740
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 75.10.1.205
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are they kidding about redford zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2091
Posted From: 68.248.10.35
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those 4 places from Michigan aren't cities, they're townships. Metro Detroit should be proud of itself...our continual sprawl and self-segregation has produced several "safe" places. Sure they're wastelands, but they're safe.

Someone who wants serious advice about where they should live when they move into a new metro area should consult quality of life rankings that take into account more than just crime rates (i.e. public school quality, education level and income of residents, city services, and subjective rankings on the cultural amenities and built environment of a given place.) Usually, Ann Arbor, a few of the Woodward-corridor suburbs, and perhaps a GP or two will get on these sorts of lists.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4329
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? Why should Metro Detroit be proud of its continual sprawl and self-segregation, if even the result is some of the "safest" communities in the country? Especially considering it also creates some of the more "dangerous" places in the country. At what cost?

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 341
Posted From: 69.212.58.33
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clinton? That's not a city. It's a township. Also known as Drive Thru.

And kill me before I'd ever live there.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 303
Posted From: 67.71.48.172
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are not real cities though. Rankings should be done on a metro wide basis. Not on fake cities that ar ejust suburbs.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4333
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clinton Township is a municipal entity with defined boundaries (if even only limited sovereignty, but with 100,000 persons larger than most cities in Michigan), in the same way Fowlerville (village) is a municipal entity, or Detroit (city). Can we stop the "it's not a real city" junk, already?

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 03, 2006)

Futurecity

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought a city was an incorporated municpality with legal powers set forth in a charter granted by the state and that a township was a land surveying unit of 36 square miles with a minor amount of administrative duties.

CNN's list says "cities". So it's wrong.

If not, why not include places like Sumpter Township or BumFuck Township out in the sticks, I'm sure that they have far less crime than Clinton Township.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4334
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is arguing silly semantics. A township, village, and city, are the three kinds of municipalities in Michigan, with varying degrees of sovereignty/self-rule. Heck, they include Paradise, NV, which is probably the weakest form of township government out there, as it's only a ceremonial township, but with a huge population. I'm pretty sure the cut off, here, is a population cutoff, and a township is a legitimate/legal municipal system, and with nearly 100,000 cities at that. Are you trying to argue that if a township had 500,000 we just shouldn't count it because it's not a "real" city?

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 804
Posted From: 68.30.39.209
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone notice Chitaku starts an exorbitant amount of threads?

later - naturalsister

Futurecity

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not semantics. It's the definition.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4335
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here, how does this suit you: "CNN safest cities/townships." Really, it's semantics. Again, are you saying that no matter how populous a township is, that it shouldn't count? Many of these townships are more populous and more dense than quite a few cities in the area, and you're just playing a word game.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 69.214.178.136
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clinton, MI...a very small town. Not Clinton Township. Its about 30 miles from Ann Arbor.

Futurecity

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you draw the line? If you're going to call Clinton Township a city (which it's not) and include it, then why aren't they including townships such as Ada Township in Kent County or Banks Township in Antrim County or 100 other such places in Michigan - all with lower crime? It's a skewed list with an incorrect title.

A "Safest Townships" list would make sense. Then we would see Clinton Township catagorized with places like Banks Township. And in comparison Clinton Township would look rather dangerous and probably not even make the list.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4336
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't put "township" by the name, but they are refering to the township, as they list the population as 100,000, and the map shows the location in Macomb County:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines /moneymag/bplive/2006/snapshot s/PL2616510.html

They also list Canton Township as "Canton."

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4337
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Future, it's about the size, not the particular type of municipality. The size cut-off is ~50,000. What are you not getting about that?

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 03, 2006)

Futurecity

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After looking through their list of 100 it seems that they are calling any place with a population from 50,000 to 300,000 a "city", and any place over 300,000 a "big city".

I guess that leaves out a lot of real cities with populations less than 50,000. Probably many many with lower crime than Clinton "Township".

Futurecity

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That should be in the title - "Safest Places with a population of 50,000 - 300,000."

They don't do that, because no one would give a shit enough about it to even read it.

Futurecity

Post Number: 347
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An even better title would be "Places You'll Never Give Two Shits About"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2747
Posted From: 4.229.72.53
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Half of the safest 25 are in New Jersey? Gimme a Break!

This list is meaningless.... Some states maybe didn't respond to their questions...

(Still remembering driving up to Higgins Lake as a kid and seeing the sign say "6th Most Beautiful Lake in the World"!)

I take no meaningful stock in anybodys "best of" lists. They're all subjective...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4338
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, because nowhere in New Jersey can be safe, right? Just like anyone looking at this list would say it's bogus because their is nowhere in Metro Detroit that could be "safe," right? Take all lists with a grain of salt, but if you're discrediting it because you think all of NJ is a festering pit of criminals, than you're not better than those that view the Detroit area the same way.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 24.180.71.146
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4 cities/townships/whatever from metro detroit on the top 25 safest and people are complaining about everything from the validity of the list, to the definition of city, to the cities on the list being boring! did anyone ever think that this is a GOOD thing for southeast michigan as a WHOLE and maybe try to work towards getting more cities/twps/whatever on that list next year?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 497
Posted From: 70.160.37.222
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And kill me before I'd ever live there.

I believe that is EXACTLY why thousands of Detroiters are fleeing the city every year, because they are afraid of being killed. Believe it or not, there are people who are willing to live in boring sprawlville suburbia if it means that they can live in places with top-notch schools, low crime rates, responsive and efficient city services, 911 operators who ACTUALLY DO THEIR JOBS, not having your shit stolen if you leave your garage door open and unattended for five seconds, not being openly robbed blind by your mayor and city council, etc.

Sure Clinton and Redford Townships might not have "historic architecture" or that "gritty urban feel", but then again, I bet the people who live there don't have to worry about masked men kicking down their doors and kidnapping their daughters:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/9782516/detail.html

And the people who pass through these "horrible" places probably don't have to worry about being murdered for the contents of their pockets because they stopped for gas at a gas station in the wrong part of town:

http://www.detnow.com/wxyz/nw_ local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ _15924_4954263,00.html

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 69.212.53.227
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 359
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Scottr on this one! With all the bad news Michigan has been receiving lately it's nice to have such a great showing on this list. I for one was surprised to see so many cities (Or for you nitpickers "Townships") from Southeast Michigan listed, pleasantly surprised that is.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 939
Posted From: 4.229.69.245
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Using the "township isnt a city" logic, Viginia is not a state.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 69.19.14.36
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I call bullshit, I moved from clinton twp in June and it was a hotbed for robberies and break-ins...if that place is considered safe, the rest of the country must be a mess

Username: 1953

Post Number: 966
Posted From: 4.165.99.29
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it matters, Clinton Twp. is a charter township.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2933
Posted From: 68.74.4.205
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Ask.com:

quote:

A search on "state difference commonwealth" turned up some useful results. At the About.com: Lawyers site, we learned that there are four commonwealths in the United States: Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Kentucky.

The difference between these commonwealths and the other 46 states is in name alone -- they elected to call themselves commonwealths, a term drawn from political theory. The About.com lawyer assured us that, legally, there is no difference between a state and these four commonwealths.

There is, however, another form of

There is, however, another form of commonwealth. The ever-helpful Dictionary.com offers this alternate definition: a "self-governing, autonomous political unit voluntarily associated with the United States, namely, Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands." The degree of that dependency varies from place to place, but let's consider Puerto Rico as an example.

There are a few major differences between Puerto Rico and a typical American state:

* The Internal Revenue Code does not apply to Puerto Rico.
* Puerto Rico has no voting representation in Congress.
* Puerto Rican citizens are not allowed to vote in presidential elections.

Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens; they pay social security, can receive federal welfare, and can serve in the armed forces. But they don't pay federal taxes, and they don't vote in presidential elections.

So far, they've voted to keep it that way. Consider it a limited partnership.

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on September 03, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4339
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo, again, we're talking a population cutoff of 50,000. I guess Clinton Township would be a haven for crime as compared to...Charlevoix.

And, no, it doesn't matter that Clinton Township is a charter township. We're talking a population cut-off, here, not the difference in municipal organization. Again, would one not count a township with more population and more density than a city just because one happens to be labeled and organized a "city" and the other "township"? No.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 248
Posted From: 69.19.14.36
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not even comparing clinton twp to Charlevoix, I just know in the last year I lived in CT, the amount of crime had gone waaay up, specially around the gratiot/16 mile area. I dont see how CT got on this list!

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 69.152.252.43
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

must be an old survey, Sugarland , Texas is experiencing an upswing in crime, especially in the last 13 months.

Since Houston accepted 250, 000 Katrina evacuees in Aug and Sept of 2005, crime is up in the west side 47 %. Mayor Bill White had to adress a group of West side Houstonians recently because of the high number of car jackings, esp when one victim, a young female college girl was killed from falling from her car during this car jacking.

Again, this must be an old list, we are fed up here in Houston with crime from our visitors from next door.....

Gistok

Post Number: 2749
Posted From: 4.229.105.247
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, there you go again... jumping the gun and spouting off without knowing all the facts...

I actually LIVED in New Jersey... it isn't called the Garden State for nothing. It's a beautiful state that just happens to have its' most poverty stricken areas right across from NYC (Newark, Jersey City) and Philadelphia (Camden), which is why New Yorkers make fun of New Jersey.

The majority of the state away from NYC and Philly is very nice, from the rolling hills in the north, to the seaside quaint villages (like Cape May) in the south.

Now getting back to the reason at hand... having 50% of the list coming from 2% of the states is why I think this list is way off and skewered! And that has nothing to do with New Jersey bashing!!

Nuff said??

(Message edited by Gistok on September 04, 2006)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3575
Posted From: 69.208.123.11
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just look at Clintondale High School. It has to be one of the worst schools in SE Michigan. You cannot find a bigger mix of ghetto and white trash. Would rather send my kids to Pershing than there.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.62.68.2
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clinton Township is practiaclly a "city", it's only called a township still becasue its residents refuse to pay the taxes of a "city". It's pretty much Sterling Heights, with a little more green.

I'm not agreeing with the list, as I live in Clinton Twp right( I know, I know) now and it is nothing more than a residential enclave filled with parks and cemeteries. It has a mixture of big(mafia homes) hehe, and near gratiot older lower middle class ones. It's also home to the best Italian ice and Cannolis in Vito's. :-)

Its not this redneck, Ada Township place some of you claim. Anyone who knows anythng about that areas could tell you that.

As for being "safe". Well of course anything void of non automobile centered landscapes would be rendered useless to most of us on this board. I hate it, but it is a decent looking place to drive thru.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1776
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku was raised in Clinton Township.

This explains so much.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4948
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redford TWP. #25 safest city in the U.S. HAHHAAHAAHHAAHA!!!!!!!!! 10 ten years from now it would be the #25 unsafe city.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1117
Posted From: 68.42.98.224
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one thing you have to give Clinton Township and all of Macomb County props for is they all pay into SMART. There is no fragmented coverage like in OC and places like Livonia. Every municipality in Macomb County pays into SMART.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 12.32.128.68
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That list is a crock. Safest cities to live in?
they listed some real winners in MI. So I guess Birmingham, GP, Bloomfield are all crack dens. Who deems the safeness of a city?

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread topic should not be in the "Discuss DETROIT" section. It belongs go under the "Non-Detroit Issues" section. Hahaha!

Gistok

Post Number: 2752
Posted From: 4.229.105.140
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clinton Twp. has its' beautiful areas, and its' not so beautiful areas...

Few Macomb County neighborhoods can match the areas around Millar Rd. and Moravian Dr. Some very expensive homes and gated communities in that area.

And then there's the dumpy part of town just east of Gratiot from 14-16 Mile Rd.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.