Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » 'A Detroit Guy Makes Friends in Nashville' « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 360
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NY Times catches up today with Bob Seger ("once the voice of Detroit"), who has been working with Kid Rock and others.

That subject line above is the dead tree edition headline, altered slightly in the online version:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/03/arts/music/03ligh.html?_r=1&ref=music&oref=slogin
bob
Reassuring to see I'm not the only one getting gray!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good article.

Nice find Realitycheck.

Ditto on the getting gray! :-(
( you get used to it )

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 709
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thought this was about Jack White

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1103
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too thought it was about Jack White. Happy to see it's not.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 66.255.214.41
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought this was about GM & Nissan-Renault. :-(

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 70.236.173.247
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice article. Makes me actually want to go out and buy the new album even though I'm not a big Kid Rock fan.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10545
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um....it's a Bob Seger album, perhaps you missed that part.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 376
Posted From: 70.236.173.247
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um...yeah and perhaps you missised the part about Kid Rock having a guest appearence on the album. Whatever...nevermind.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1930
Posted From: 70.228.57.79
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard a few of the songs on WCSX. It's not a station I usually listen to, but as I scan through the radio I stumble across the unmistakable sound of Bob Seger and crank it up.

My almost 3 year old son can identify 3 bands/musicians now just by their sound: Stevie Wonder, White Stripes and Bob Seger. I'll definately be buying this album. If half the songs are as good as the few on the radio, it'll be a great album.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 339
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seger's eager to tour
Detroit rock legend ready for spotlight

September 8, 2006

this BY BRIAN McCOLLUM

FREE PRESS POP MUSIC WRITER

Bob Seger has a new album out Tuesday and says he wants to tour. "Boy, take 10 years off live singing -- and that's a lot," he said. "So I've got to build up my stamina, my wind, my physical ability to do a live show." He'll perform on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Thursday. (2005 photo by CYBELLE CODISH)

'Face the Promise'

Only in the Free Press
A ton of restless Bob Seger fans may be on the cusp of relief.

The Detroit rocker said it's all but a done deal that he'll tour this winter, more than a decade after his last, record-breaking concert trek.

With his new album, "Face the Promise," set to hit stores Tuesday, Seger and his band have quietly been revving up for a series of live dates -- what could be the long-awaited answer for devotees who have increasingly clamored to get the 61-year-old star back on the road.

Seger told the Free Press that the Palace of Auburn Hills and Joe Louis Arena would each get shows in early December, toward the end of a national itinerary that would start in late October at Grand Rapids' Van Andel Arena.

Any tour announcement would come by the end of this month, a Seger representative said.

A couple dozen dates have been proposed, Seger said -- far fewer than the 1996 outing that put the rocker on 65 stages in six months. That blockbuster run included eight sold-out Detroit-area shows and what Palace of Auburn Hills officials still describe as the biggest concert run in venue history. More than 100,000 seats sold within an hour.

Still, Seger hasn't ruled out additional dates, saying he would take a three-week holiday break in December and decide whether to ramp back up in the new year.

Seger and a group that includes Silver Bullet Band veterans Chris Campbell, Craig Frost and Alto Reed have been rehearsing since early August at Seger's Clintonville studio. First on their agenda is a one-song performance Thursday on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," Seger's first-ever network television appearance.

But touring hasn't been far from their minds: The practice docket has included six new songs and seven older ones -- including "Katmandu," "Turn the Page" and "Hollywood Nights" -- the material he said "we absolutely must do or people will be disappointed."

Seger said the proposed tour set list has up to 23 songs.

"Right now we're just learning the stuff we have to learn -- new stuff from the record, old stuff we know we need to play because of our history and because it really makes a great live show," he said. "Other than that, I'm leaving it open to see what we like. So a third of the show will be ... God knows what it'll be!"

The white-haired Seger conceded that right now he's "just a little bit behind" other band members in terms of chops, and that rebuilding vocal strength is his big challenge.

"Boy, take 10 years off live singing -- and that's a lot," he said. "So I've got to build up my stamina, my wind, my physical ability to do a live show, because people are going to expect a certain amount of energy. The band is certainly able to deliver it. I have to step up to the plate and get there."

Up next: a final round of medical tests, following a positive initial checkup, to ensure Seger is fit for road duty.

"I mean, I love rock 'n' roll, but I don't want to have a stroke over it," he said with a laugh. "It wouldn't be a good story
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006609080428

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 12.1.53.10
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I would pay 100 bucks to see him in a more intimate setting like the Opera House, or The State Theater. Not the best place at the joe or the palace for a concert acoustically. but I won't bitch to see that man.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10571
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Joe and Cobo are both awesome for concerts! In fact, Bob Seger sounded great when I heard him in the Joe earlier this year.

....rockin' roll never forgets!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.