Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit being featured on CNN: Poverty Trap. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 550
Posted From: 69.209.147.170
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tune in at 8pm, or 11pm tonight.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 581
Posted From: 68.42.162.164
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Program s/presents/index.poverty.html

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1305
Posted From: 68.73.205.235
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump... it's on now.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 66.174.79.226
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a totally negative clip. It features people affirmatively taking action to improve their neighborhoods, despite the poverty that exists in the city. It could have been reported far more negatively, as is customary with Detroit-related stories.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 69.152.252.43
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be great if that philosophy was carried down here as well. Crime has gotten so bad, the Aisan community is now installing cameras on street corners that will help keep up the upswing in recent crime on Houstons' West side which is predominately Asian. Unfortunately, many Katrina evacuess were placed on this side of town, and numerous crimes lately have had Katrina survivors involved.

Also, the " I am owed, I don't need to work because I am an evacuee" gets old after the first year. FEMA can only shell out so much before people are going to have to get out and get a job. The "entitlement" philosophy that played for generations in Louisiana doesn't sit well for Texas taxpayers. I also think the middle class are now at a point of being taxed senseless
Between property taxes, high insurance, car and property, as well as the high cost of living is doing the average tax payer in.

Maybe our evacuees here saw that T.V. special and may get them moving, one way or another. Thanks for listening. Jane

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 68.255.163.182
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen the 11 pm segment. It was pretty interesting. They said it was Saratoga street. It look likes it was in BTW Gratiot and Queen. And for the westsider, that's a side street in BTW 7 mile and 6 mile. I don't live far from there, but not in that immediate area. Just know I'm a northeast sider. Anyway, it was interesting that high schooler wanted to restore their city. Only thing that stumbles me, was it a job or a voluntary thing. I see one high schooler on camera smiling on camera saying it was devastating. I didn't see nothing funny about that block. That's likely part of the reason the city lost one of their last shopping centers to the suburbs. Also, that's probably why Kroger bailed out of the city.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 551
Posted From: 69.209.147.170
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the link to the website of Detroit Community Initiative: http://www.detroitcommunity.or g/

Overall, the segment on Detroit isn't negative at all. It highlights the difficulties faced by poor families with increasing costs of keeping a household going - higher gas bills, higher phone bills, higher maintenance costs of their homes, and higher costs all across the board. Despite all these challenges, the segment shows people making positive changes to their neighborhoods and believing in the potential of their neighborhoods.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.