Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » WLBS memories « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3710
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else here remember back in the early to mid 80's Detroit radio station WLBS, 102.7?? They played what was considered alternative music back then until the ratings game came in and turned them into an oldies station.

I remembered that I LOVED the music WLBS played. I'm trying to scour my memory as to some of the personalities that were on WLBS. Of course there was Mike Halloran, Francis Tinsley, John Bailey and that's where I draw a blank.

Any other recollections??

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3003
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wizard was on LBS originally with the progressive music....

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 163
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember hearing stuff by Kraftwerk and being mesemerized I think it was after I came home drunk for one of the first times.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3714
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first place I remember Kraftwerk being played was with The Elctrifying Mojo. He'd have the longest lead in as his Mothership landed and he'd break out with some of that early techno. He truly was an innovator.

And then the folks over at WLBS played it to death as well.

I just remember WLBS playing tunes from folks like REM, New Order, Depeche Mode, The The, Berlin, Missing Persons, Human League, ABC, China Crisis, Ministry, UB40, The Style Council, The Boomtown Rats, Prefab Sprout, Thompson Twins, The Eurthymics, Sinead O'Connor, Tracy Chapman, The B-52's, Yaz, Duran Duran, The Dream Academy, General Public, PIL, Heaven 17, INXS, Love & Rockets, The Pixies, NIN, OMD, Skinny Puppy, Shriekback, XTC and a whole litany of other 1980's bands.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 207.230.140.240
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought WLBS was an urban station for awhile. Then they changed to "New Wave," and then when it was Kiss 102.7, I bailed.

BTW - whatever happened to the Electrifying Mojo? Anyone?

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3241
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange that this thread come up. The other day I heard a promo on 102.7 that proudly proclaimed this as their 25th year of WHTD serving the community in Mt. Clemens and Detroit.

Yet, I don't remember those call letters from the mid-80's. I remember it being an oldies station only during certain times of the day, but can't piece together the other details.

Must be the after-effects of the fumes (exhaust and otherwise) from cruising Gratiot back then.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, music was so much more progressive back then. Now a days rather it's pop music, hip hop or rock, everything follows the corporate mandated formula for that style of Music. It all sounds like Tupac, Dixie Chicks, Bare Baked Ladies, or Natalie Merchant.

WLBS was so popular for a short period, even WRIF, or Maybe it was WLLZ, jumped on the bandwagon and had thier own New Wave program "Radios In Motion". It was hosted by Doug Podell. If you google Electryfying Mojo you will get some neat articles that were written about him. They talk about all the times he was fired by different radio stations that did not want to let him express his creativity. I think he is still part of the Detroit Radio scene, except more back stage though.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 984
Posted From: 66.184.29.148
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

89X really started it's alternative format with a 4 hour block tracked in by Halloran from LA with his version of the Radios In Motion show.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 706
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't know LLZ had "Radios In Motion" too - it was started by Jere Stormer on WDET years before one of those 'other' stations grabbed the title.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3718
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve "the Kid" Kostan also ran a show catering to that genre of music too on WRIF right after WLBS became Kiss FM. Wasn't it the Sonic Rendezvous? And even a few years back Darren Revell had his Big Sonic Heaven show which played some of the same WLBS stuff as well as breaking some more ethereal music.

But I sure do miss tuning into radio to hear something new & evocative by a DJ I could trust.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3719
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gerald McBride was another WLBS deejay. Okay, maybe I'm starting to remember a few more of them.

Cambrian

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Delisi too maybe? I know she's on WRCJ now, I heard her name, and knew that name was all to familiar.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 662
Posted From: 69.47.52.206
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Halloran is currently music director and has a drive time show in San Diego at 94.9 fm.

It's the best station in SD - especially since 91X was recently bought out and tweeked their format.

Halloran is still doing it right.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 707
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delisi wasn't on WLBS - she worked at 'DET at the time, then went to 89X, then 96.3...

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 199
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Big Sonic Heaven on Sunday nights...

Wasn't the show on WLBS at one time called Brave New Waves in the mid-80's? Or have I confused it with another stations show?

Also anyone remember listening to D-Man and Gnipper overnight on 89X in the early 90's? That was when 89X was still pogressive.

Cambrian

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure! Wasn't there an electronic music program on '89x in the mid 90s called "Transmissions" It came on at 1 am and was syndicated out of Chicago I think. We could listen to Industrial Music on 89x in the late 80s and early 90s too. Geeez, amazaing how little choices we have today for radio music. Young people have no idea how much they are missing.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5840
Posted From: 24.57.57.12
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox, I remeber that. Wasn't 88.7 called Laser Rock or something at the time?

BTW - I saw a truck like yours over on this side of the river... It's blue, and has some tubing on the box.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5841
Posted From: 24.57.57.12
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about 102.7's run as "Z-Rock"?

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 146.95.15.36
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallroy -

Taken from Wikipedia

Most recently, Mojo is serving as Program Director for a handful of Detroit radio stations - he does not publicize which ones - and he is in negotiations to bring his show to XM satellite radio in 2006, where he will not only begin a new show, but also air shows from his archive dating back to 1977.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 146.95.15.36
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Will the members of the Midnight Funk Association please rise. Please go to your porch light and turn it on for the next hour to show us your solidarity. If you're in your car please honk your horn and flash your lights, wherever you are. If you're in bed, get ready to dance on your back, in Technicolor. And get ready for the MFA. The word is... Don't say no, say triple-whammy-whoa. Hold on tight, don't let go. Whenever you feel like you're nearing the end of your rope, don't slide off. Tie a knot. Keep hanging, keep remembering, that it ain't nobody bad like you. This session of the International Midnight Funk Association is being called to order. Electrifying Mojo presiding. May the Funk be with you. Always...
"

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 985
Posted From: 69.213.205.29
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brave New Waves is on CBC Stereo.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3727
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ever happened to the likes of Francis Tinsley? John Bailey? Gerald McBride and those other WLBS personalities that no one seems to remember??

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 122
Posted From: 70.227.87.31
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gerald McBride is now on Mix 92.3.

Also, they pay old and new school music on what is now 105.9 Kiss FM. However, they're not the same. For one, Mason left. For two, they play mainly R7B all day, every day. It's really gone downhill though. 92.3 has gone downhill also. They play the same songs all day, every day

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 10, 2006)

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 207.230.140.240
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently found an envelope with the MFA logo on it. AND, I found a ticket stub from one of Mojo's Boblo boat cruises. We were all excited because we thought, finally, we would get to see Mojo in the flesh. DUH, he wasn't on the cruise!

Did a couple of mix tapes for him when he was at WHYT, but lost track. GREAT guy, kinda strange, but a great guy.

Anybody have an MFA whammy cloth? The ultimate sweat wiper? I still have a recording of him when he interviewed Prince. He was a Detroit radio legend.

Little off track, sorry.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I wasn't living in Detroit when WLBS was in full flower, I'm pretty sure that the John Bailey who worked there is the same John Bailey who has been the morning-drive traffic reporter at WWJ Newsradio 950 for many years.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 737
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox, thanks for the info on BNW. I have it set to auto-record now into iTunes.

Innercity_detroit
Username: Innercity_detroit

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WoW WLBS was the disco station back in the 1980's,and as a matter of fact its rating was higher then WDRQ which was playing disco back then also. Hell Yeah W..L..B..S from Mt Clemens. The jam back then was...Born to be Alive.Smogboy thanks for the disco memories.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3802
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thta's right WLBS was a disco station for a bit before they switched to "alternative"! I never knew that they kicked Disco 93's butt in the ratings.

I dreaded the day they switched over to KISS 102.7. I was in school, came out to my car to go home, heard a twang come across my pre-set station and was mortified.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WLBS - 'The only station that matters'

Smogboy

Post Number: 3809
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh, those fond remembrances of my collegiate musical tastes.

In a way, WLBS played stuff that was a little out of the mainstream and in turn fueled my taste to hear other forms of music. There are so much interesting quality artists out there that never get any airplay and after WLBS changed its format, it just made me search out stations like WDET that dared to play different things. My musical horizons broadened since then and the majority of my music collection has been honed by listening to those stations.

I'm wondering how many other people out there bought music based upon hearing that ONE song heard on a station such as WLBS or WDET like I did. And this was back in the day pre-iTunes so you had to buy the entire album too.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3821
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closest I've come to hearing anything remotely close to the WLBS playlist or at least having the spirit of that music is online at...

http://www.auralgasms.com/

Great stuff. AND they also seem to be Detroit based so they still from time to time recall things like Big Sonic Heaven and other ethereal shows of the time.

Innercity_detroit
Username: Innercity_detroit

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use to love drive on the weekends going to partys,or just out crusing the city,and WLBS be bouncing with Ring My Bell,or some of Donna Summer's disco jams,and my two jams was Pull Up To The Bumper by Grace Jones or Born to be Alive. Now days this gangster hate rap has taken over the airwaves,and it seem to generate racism and hate.However I am thankful for those of you who is keeping the spirit alive.There is still some clubs that plays our kinda dance music here in the metro area,but one must be up on the weekend night scene,and again WLBS will live on forever as far as I am concern.Oh yeah Smog WLBS bounced DRQ straight out the box,and if you recall DRQ had a low rating for a minute,and it came back with a middle of the road format.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3890
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was listening to the Chuck Horn program on WDET (which has been relegated to early early Monday AM... UGH!) and they were playing some stuff that reminded me of what the spirit of WLBS was about.

Sigh, the good ol' days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.