Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » How is this going to happen? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1318
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 60908/ap_on_go_ot/welfare_work ;_ylt=AqTuoKELKe8TOXVBatFph6Nv zwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNl YwM-

The welfare rolls aren't dropping as fast as they used to, and that could pose a big money problem for states from coast to coast when a new federal law takes effect next month.

The states' task: find jobs for tens of thousands of people on welfare or risk losing millions in federal money. More than two dozen states have work to do, including Pennsylvania, California and Michigan.

The law requires states to place into job training, community service or other work activities 50 percent of their households that get welfare aid — and 90 percent of two-parent households that receive assistance.

Pennsylvania will have to add nearly 23,000 recipients to the work rolls, which amounts to a 220 percent increase in work participation, according to federal estimates obtained by The Associated Press.

California has to find work activities for more than 60,000 people_ a 100 percent increase in its work participation rate.

Michigan must add nearly 11,500, a 117 percent increase.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1383
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"California has to find work activities for more than 60,000 people_ a 100 percent increase in its work participation rate."

What's a dirty four-letter word ending in "k" for many on the welfare rolls?

--- work

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 427
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a jerk you are. christ.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 212
Posted From: 68.166.44.44
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who votes for livernoisyard and who for oldrefordette?

One for Livernoisyard.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 840
Posted From: 69.222.55.36
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two for Livernoisyard.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 604
Posted From: 71.213.230.209
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two words: Education & Entrepreneurship.

We have got to get people of SE Michigan, and the rest of the state, to begin thinking in terms of being their own business, and quit relying solely on the big corporations, press release type events & job announcements to save our asses.

The gov't needs to simply get out of the way and make business ventures as simple to start up as possible. If the bureaucrats in Lansing want to assist, let them support small business training seminars that would be beneficial to help those without formal business training get some basic know-how.

Not to suggest that all welfare recipients start their own businesses, many of them probably have a difficult enough time just maintaining a job (however it is possible). Rather, those folks in our midst that have some formal training, education, desire, hobby, etc. develop their skills into a small business. As these businesses grow and flourish (or fail in many cases), they will be the ones to hire and provide the jobs that will keep our region strong and economy diversified.

And, from personal experience, nothing is more liberating than being involved in your own business.

[Spelling Edit]

(Message edited by rrl on September 08, 2006)

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 68.41.202.23
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard 3
Oldredfordette 0

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1285
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 for ORF

LY, you should read Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Erhenreich, and watch the documentary, Waging a Living.

It might open your eyes

60% of Americans working make less than the $14 an hour (30,000 yr.), which is the amount deemed necessary for a a single parent and 2 children to live on. And even then, they are just getting by

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 69.95.239.153
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard 4
Oldredfordette 0

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 69.3.206.177
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 for ORF. She is a Goddess.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2967
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 for ORF...

Every one was not blessed with millions or opportunities.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 69.95.239.153
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to update my vote. I think it depends on the person in question. There are alot of muchers who are on the welfare rolls and there are alot of families who need the money to survive. I think more often than not those on welfare work hard and are given a bad name by slackers.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 68.166.44.44
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl quote,

"keep our region strong and economy diversified".

Where have you been hiding for the last few decades?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 69.95.236.19
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that the region isn't strong and the economy isn't diversified. Michigan was a largely industrial urban state. Not many industries are coming back to the United States and especially not heavilly unionized Michigan. There is probably no state that has made a worse transition after the rustbelt collapse. He's right that the economy should be diversified and the region become strong, but it isn't right now. This would be the way to lower the number of people on the welfare rolls.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1319
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yet the Feds will yank funding if these people aren't either training, working or dropped from the payment rolls

seems counterproductive at this juncture

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 366
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The law requires states to place into job training, COMMUNITY SERVICE or other work activities 50 percent of their households that get welfare aid — and 90 percent of two-parent households that receive assistance."

I'm assuming the majority of Michigan's welfare receipients live in Detroit and other struggling urban areas. How about having many of these people clean the city streets, remove abandoned buildings, maintain and restore Belle Isle, Fort Wayne, etc. If the State has to pay them why not make them work for it. Perhaps they will acquire new job skills at the same time. It helped many get through the Great Depression why not now??

(Of course this would require that we dispose of a few ambulance chasing lawyers that are feeding off the insurance industry and taxpayers.) =)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 69.95.236.225
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah for Johnnny 5, I like that idea.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Community service (all caps or not) is no answer. Court-mandated community service isn't done in the first place to a large, perhaps, majority of the time. If the courts with all their legal power won't administer it, why would a lesser-empowered agency?

All community service will do is simply hide the issue. The welfare recipients will miss some of their commitments and gradually realize that they can just skip them entirely with penalty. And all the time, this will be kept hidden from the public.

On paper the problem will be "solved," while the welfare recipients will continue doing as little as possible, or nothing.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 08, 2006)

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 234
Posted From: 141.217.226.172
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how LY likes to look down his nose on those less fortunate than him. I bet he's never had to wonder where his next meal was going to come from.

You can't fix this problem until you create jobs.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those who empower themselves will have an easier time in life. Study and work in school means graduating from high school with an education, not just a meaningless diploma. [But many don't bother doing much in school and will drop out.]

Then learn one or more job skills and maintain a decent work ethic by looking for work and keep on working. [If a job is not where one lives, then do what illegal aliens do, MOVE!]

Actually, that isn't hard to do and should be expected of everybody. If done properly, there would only be few legitimate (sensible) reasons for welfare rolls.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 08, 2006)

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not suggesting forced community service by itself is the answer, but it would address the current issue of losing federal funding. In the scenario I mentioned it would not be community service as punishment. Instead the services would be rewarded with a paycheck (Welfare check).

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on September 08, 2006)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with community service is that participation is not generally monitored. So, cheating will be the logical result.

Hint: That's human nature. It looks good on paper, though.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 618
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of telling too much about myself (and ending up on the OTHER forum), I can honestly say that welfare can be a tremendous help to those who are in a jam. I had to resort to welfare in order to leave an abusive relationship. I also worked two jobs, went to college full time and raised my son. I just needed a helping hand.

Now that I am viable, I give back to my community, donate to charity, donated my time to those less fortunate (abused women's shelter), and try to help those in need. If it hadn't been for that helping hand, I don't know where my son and myself would be right now. My parents could help and they did...but they couldn't support me and my child. Welfare didn't afford me the opportunity to sit on my butt and not work (this was prior to the welfare to work program). I worked hard because I wanted more for myself and my child. I graduated with honors. When I got my full time career"job" I called my worker and told her to remove me immediately from the roles because someone else needed that helping hand.

Not all people on welfare are lazy and have an aversion to work as Livernoisyard suggests. Yes, there are people like that but I am willing to bet there are more who want to work full time and be able to support their families on their own.

Chalk a line on Oldredfordette's side from me!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 68.42.162.164
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers for Detroitteacher! That's the whole American spirit!

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1219
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... anyone want to completely forget the disabled, elderly, and mentally ill?

Its kind of hard to find a job when your autistic... which is 1 in every 166 americans. Or those that have had strokes, missing limbs ect. believe it or not, many of those people do not qualify for social security... and there are alot more diabled people than you might think... my mom was one of them. She had a stroke while she was a dental hygenist with a BS. Right now she has a hard time grasping a pen after brain surgery. She is still trying to collect some form of government benefit as her employer moved to mexico.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's obvious that some people don't have family or someone else to help them when times are bad.
Most studies show the majority of welfare folks don't remain there forever.
Lots of people lose jobs, go bankrupt or have a divorce which throws them into poverty. Unless you have an education, wealthy family or someone to help you out, you're screwed.
If you have kids, then it's even tougher.
I'm for helping someone out if they're willing to work to get themselves back on their feet.
The slackers can fend for themselves. They'll either end up dead, in jail or grow a spine.
Mentally handicapped should be helped out and not dumped on the streets.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the votes, I hope it's a vote more for the disappeared and disenfranchised and left behind in this country then for bad-tempered old me. We live in mean and selfish days, moral midgets are running this country right now. We must try with all our might to be the antidote to people like Livernoisyard.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.