Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » ::: Upcoming Elections Mega Thread ::: » DeVos turnaround plan for Detroit revealed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2445
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T he gubernatorial election is two months away, and Republican candidate Dick DeVos' turnaround plan is already working: He's turned downtown Detroit around completely.

What's alarming is how few people noticed.

Campaign spokesman John Truscott says 15,000 copies of the first volume of DeVos' "The Michigan TurnAround Plan" have been put in the hands of elected officials, business groups and editorial writers, and more than 50,000 more have been downloaded.

This is good, in the sense that an informed electorate is lots better than the usual kind. But it's a trifle disconcerting that according to Truscott, I'm the first person to point out the problem with the photo on Page 11.

I should note here that I hadn't looked until a friend brought the picture to my attention. It's a dramatic nighttime shot of downtown Detroit, taken from Windsor.

All the usual landmarks are present and accounted for: Cobo Center, the Penobscot Building, the Guardian Building, the RenCen. Except that the RenCen sits to the far west, and Cobo is to the east -- exactly the opposite of how you'd find them if you were walking from Grosse Pointe to Wyandotte.

"I would try to be cute and say we took a photo from the other angle," Truscott says, "but that's not going to work."

Nope. Somebody simply reversed the photo, and nobody caught it. It's just a goofy, harmless mistake -- unless you're among the people who think DeVos would just as soon clip Michigan's largest city from the map, in which case it might not seem so harmless after all.
more:
http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200609 06/OPINION03/609060395/1283

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think Detroit is having a hard time getting help from Lansing now, just wait for the whole city to disappear from his map if Devos gets elected.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 68.42.162.164
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny. There seem to be no good editors left in this world.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1323
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganliberal.com had this on Wednesday - the photo's posted.

correction: Michiganliberal.com tipped their hat to DeVos is a Dick as the finder.

(Message edited by lilpup on September 09, 2006)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1273
Posted From: 69.136.147.198
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't trust the man with the beady eyes!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldnt agree more,, if people think DeVos and company are going to do SouthEast Michigan and especially Detroit any favors to "turn itself around" they are sadly mistaken, He will dig Detroit as deep as a hole as he can. He just last week was bad mouthing Detroit at a Grand Rapids rally about how they turn out more students to prisons than colleges,, He never would have said that here in his speeches.. He really is a funny guy, he came out with a big campaign a month ago how he doesnt want negative advertising yet has unleashed a very negative campaign lately basically in response to him losing ground.Kinda two faced,,,.Im sure he rather us all join his evangelical peers so as to brainwash us the same way as they are. I wouldnt trust him as far as you could throw his limousine. Why would a man who makes 25 million a year want to give it up for a job that pays 200,000 unless he and his party has a definite agenda planned. DeVos will never be for the average person,,and never for Detroit,,,

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1135
Posted From: 68.60.105.245
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing I particularly love is why he keep trying to distance himself from Amway/Alticor. Saying how his decisions now have nothing to do with the company since he is no longer president, EXCEPT he is still their largest shareholder.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So true Bob, but have you seen his campaigns latest strategy on TV ? At news time 6:00p each work day there is stunning commercial by Amway touting its success and what unbelievable happy people work there,, It is ofcouse paid for by Amway and no mention of DeVos in it, but its pretty obvious the intention of it all..Its very curious how they never advertised before ...Its kinda obvious the intention is to get us all thinking how wonderful DeVos and company are, Pretty cagey advertising I must admit, as it will probably work with a certain uninformed segment of the population,, But then again they have the $$$ to pull anything they want to using MEDIA.

Bob

Post Number: 1136
Posted From: 68.60.105.245
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, DeVos has Dubya reelection people crafting his ads. Enough money seems to be buying DeVos anything. Of course, this is the same guy that trys to look like an everyday guy in the commercials, yet when he was on the Grand Valley State U board, had to fly in his helocopter ala Trump into his meeting from Amway's headquarters.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 912
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a joke? Devos is BAD BAD BAD for Detroit. Turnaround plan for "Detroit?" Are you kidding?

Oh wait...if turnaround means shipping jobs to China then we'll be well off. Fabulous.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 263
Posted From: 141.217.226.172
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This election really is about the lesser of the two evils. I'll vote for neither him nor Granholm.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 913
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're always stuck with the lesser of two evils it seems. I'm no HUGE fan of Granholm...but given the two of them...I think he's evil...and she will not hurt Detroit.

I thought Kerry sucked a$$ but I worked my butt off for him to try to get jacka$$ out.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real struggle will be in who gets elected in the House and Senate. Having a Democrat Gov. and a Republican House and Senate has just promoted gridlock.
Heaven help us if Dick has full rein to shape the state in his follower's image.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2939
Posted From: 69.221.67.70
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill, are you one of these political hacks that signs up for this forum to make erroneous claims? Please report Devos' statement accurately. He has repeatedly stated that he supports Detroit and that reviving Michigan cannot be completed without reviving Detroit. He has cited the FACT that more Black men are in prison and on the welfare rolls than go to college and that must change in order to revive Detroit. He has in fact said that within the City of Detroit limits, among other places in the state. Sorry but it's the truth and it is at the root problems in Detroit.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what is Dick going to do about it?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Dick knows basketball. Don't think he will pull in any Pistons fan's votes.

.......Over the years, a more competitive side of Dick DeVos' personality began to emerge. He briefly served as president of the Orlando Magic, the NBA basketball team his father bought in 1991 for $85 million. His father still owns the franchise, now valued at about $250 million..........

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4991
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billionaire Dick has a turnaround plan for Detroit HAHAHAHAA!!!!! He can go back to Grand Rapids and save that city instead.

Bob

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His dad saved that city.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 788
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He made be bad for Detroit, but the car industry, the region as a whole and the city have created so many of our problems on their own. I really get discouraged at this mentality of entitlement where we demand someone from afar -- Washington or the governor -- to save us, of course by spending someone else's money. No wonder the rest of the country has turned their backs on us.

If the city would get its house in order -- such as by having a well administered police department -- I think Devoss and other traditionally antagonistic people would come running to help.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 789
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS.. I wouldn't read too much into that ad except possibly that the staffers don't know much about Detroit (to have not recognized the mistake). That's not great.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Over the years, a more competitive side of Dick DeVos' personality began to emerge. He briefly served as president of the Orlando Magic, the NBA basketball team his father bought in 1991 for $85 million.

______________________________ ___________________

As a Piston's fan, I hated his old man after he stole Grant Hill from us.

Oh wait, they gave us Big Ben in return and another championship...

I must find something else to critique.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on September 16, 2006)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Heaven help us if Dick has full rein to shape the state in his follower's image.
______________________________ ___________________

Amen.

Much better!!!!!!!!

(Message edited by detroitej72 on September 16, 2006)

Paulmcall

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he'd lay off more people?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DeVos answer to fix Detroit is to raise a Wayne County SALES tax because many people no longer have an income to tax because they are out of work. The loss of taxes on income is no reason to cut the size of government in Detroit because we can all afford to pay just a litte more when we buy things, if we take money out of the bank and take part time low wage jobs and be smart like those in Mexico and China who stretch their incomes.

This is because when Wal-Mart opens in Livonia, Detroit residents will then have jobs again to replace the union jobs at Ford when they move the Wixom plant to Mexico. Why, we can just import lots of things from China and then pay for SMART bus service with a one half cent mass transit tax, while MDOT builds large freeways for people who have lots of money, so they can destroy farmlands and forests with large homes.

Then more Wal-Marts will be built and then we can raise the transit tax to one percent of a county sales tax for light rail. And, then ship more jobs to China.

This is the DeVos way of saving Detroit and the SMART and DDOT bus systems.

Vote for him, if you want. It's your right.

He refuses to support or publicly debate
http://savethefueltax.org

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not against the sales tax idea, IF our leaders raise this tax in all 83 counties the same and get the federal, state and industry investments and the enhanced bus system all required as necessary to make this type of tax actually work without filling up the pockets of SEMCOG leaders who give great mass transit speeches and mostly drive really big cars, like a hummer.

The taxpayers who supported the SMART tax and the rest of us deserve to keep good bus service and not see more hummers and more fancy big plans from SEMCOG when we have the knowledge to manage our limited transportation tax dollars with new toll collection technology that does not require manual laborers and also we should tax those who build on farmlands and forests to help save Detroit. We have low gas taxes in Michigan compared to other states and with the gas prices low, we could support a one cent per gallion increase, so SMART can buy more buses. And then we can campaign to get Livonia to come back and be SMART.

http://savethefueltax.org

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.