Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Is Detroit a matriarchal society?... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 72.207.99.250
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently took a look at the make up of the city council and noticed that seven of its nine members are women. That in itself doesn't concern me, but it leaves me wondering if Detroit's political future will be dominated by women, as the family structure in the city is today.

Curious if anyone can provide a synopsis on the council members marital status and on how may children each has. I'm also interested in knowing how much private sector experience each council member has.

I'm not working on a thesis, I just need something else to talk about at happy hour besides Detroit area authority figures riding around in their birthday suits and whether there is a Boeing in Ford's future.

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 69.220.232.24
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its much deeper than that publican. The black cultural as a whole is a matriarchal society. Black women have alway lead and strengthened the black community. We were giving our women power before the womens rights movement. Its so natural for us to see Black women in power that gender isnt a big issue to us.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So do we need a woman mayor to straighten out the city?

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 84.146.234.148
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if it is the right woman! Perhaps one of the intelligent females that post on this forum??

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 731
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That in itself doesn't concern me, but..."

The governor is also female. Does that concern you?

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 84.146.234.148
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be voting for Granholm, not DeVos. Not because she is a woman, but because I don't want to see him sitting up in Lansing. It is a tough job, being gov. of MI. Now, any suggestions for tne next mayor? Only females please.

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shirley Franklin...

Dammit...Atlanta got real lucky with that one...real damned lucky.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 792
Posted From: 68.96.231.230
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't ask me. My knuckles tend to drag on the ground......

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4382
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Its much deeper than that publican. The black cultural as a whole is a matriarchal society. Black women have alway lead and strengthened the black community. We were giving our women power before the womens rights movement. Its so natural for us to see Black women in power that gender isnt a big issue to us.

Rock got this one. Even before slavery, which leveled black men and women to similar roles, and thus made them more partners than anything else, quite a few West African nations/groups were matriarchal. It is no surprise, then, in the current deteriorated black family unit that the women would step up to the plate.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1805
Posted From: 69.209.133.144
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Sharon McPhail ran for mayor but felt she needed a male presence so she made former police chief Benny Napoleon her running mate. Did Detroit voters not vote for Sharon McPhail because of who she is or because she is a woman?

(Message edited by royce on September 10, 2006)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 738
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie Currie

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 739
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is probably going to be the Mayor until he retires anyway

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 604
Posted From: 68.42.162.164
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit shouldn't be deprived of talents unique to either gender. How's that for diplomacy?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4972
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Detroit where the women are in power.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 761
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mcphail had to much controversy on her side BEFORE she would have gotten in office. usually the contorversy starts AFTER you get in office in most cases lol.

Her marriage to David Snead (allegedly financed by the DPS), he dual role working as a council worker AND working as legal council for the city of Ecorse, her in council antics, her public blastings of the mayor... those are things people looked at when voting for her AND the fact that she "needed" a male to validate her campaign so to speak. She also lost ground when she would publically blast mayor Archer.

Someone need to teach that you may not respect the person, but you should respect the position.

Detroit may need the touch of a woman, look at Soutfield, Atlanta, and DC Under Sharon Pratt Kelly. They all aren't perfect.. but they have made a difference.

I can't think of any known female players that would be good for the job at the moment.

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 141.213.175.140
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Martha Reeves is in politics... Why not give aretha franklin a chance? Mayor Franklin for 2010!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trudy Archer.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madonna!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 633
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm.

No Dads at home = Matriarchal Society

Is it good that all these strong Moms step up the plate? yes.

Is it as good as it should be? No.

ooops, how terribly judgemental I am tonight

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not terribly true, Irish_mafia.

In the majority of Black families, there tends to be a male figure in the home. I have a very close friend whose mother has been been in a relationship with the same man for close to 30 years. They have never been legally married. Yet, they have built a very stable life together. This man has been a father figure in her life and her children consider him their grandfather. The phenomenon of Black women having multiple children by multiple men is nothing new and has never been frowned upon in the Black community (that is until the larger White community began to frown upon this practice). Yet, no one has frowned upon the fact that Farrah Fawcett has multiple children by multiple men. What about White women and the practice of multiple marriages? Truly, there is a double-standard. Bottom line is this: Black children are not lacking a male presence in their homes. What they are lacking are true male role models in their homes. The hustler mentality of today's men is what's breaking down the Black family. Back in the day, Black men hustled hard to take care of their families. Today, Black men hustle just enough to hang out with their boys. Same concept...different priorities. That's why the women seem to be winning out.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 634
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shave,

For the record:

Everything I said is relevant for Farrah Fawcett (my high school fantasy pin up) and everyone else, black or white. It is hard enough for two parents to properly guide children to a path that they can use for success.

While the Black community may or may not not have frowned on it in the past (I have no idea about this), its pretty obvious now that its a piss poor way to raise kids.

Good for strong Moms at home. If someone's a dad and he's not helping raise the kids, and giving a strong patriachcal presence, he's a piece of crap.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knows how accurate these stats are, but the Wikipedia about Detroit states:

"There were 336,428 households out of which 33.9% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 26.7% were married couples living together, 31.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.1% were non-families. Some 72% of all Detroit children are born to single mothers.[59] 29.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.2% had someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.45."

Seems to waddle and quack like a matriarchy to me...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.