Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Park Shelton Condo Renovation Problems? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any problems at the Park Shelton concerning the quality of the renovations and the craftsmanship of the developer at the building?

A friend of mine finally moved into his condo about a month ago and has had a consistent string of problems beginning before he even moved in. For example, faulty phone and cable jacks, damage to newly installed cupboards, and poor patching and painting of the walls, just to name a few.

I don't know if he just got a bad crew or this has been an issue with other new tenants as well?

Has anyone out there heard of similar problems?

He's so frustrated he plans on selling his place as soon as most of the units are sold and he also claims that alot of his problems are do to the fact that the developer did not do a full scale gut and rebuild of the structure.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7870
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOst of that stuff is typical with both rehabs and new builds. He should have a warranty time period and should have had a final walk through.

I would assume that the developer is on th ehook to take care of this stuff. Your friend would be wise to document the issues and send a certified letter to the builder outlining the issues.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was the builder/general contractor?

Stecks77

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this kind of stuff always occurs with new developments but within reason. It also wouldn't be that big of a deal if management was responsive.

He did have a final walk through and there was a list of things they were suppose to take care of but he's been waiting for weeks on end.

They just had to snake the drain in his bathroom sink and they damaged the granite so badly it needs to be replaced.

I think one of the big problems is the craftsmanship of the people working on behalf of the developer.

Stecks77

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parlay Development, LLC, BRG Development, Inc. and Giles Real Estate, Inc.

http://www.theparkshelton.com/ inside_index.htm

Jt1

Post Number: 7872
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote{Yes, this kind of stuff always occurs with new developments but within reason. It also wouldn't be that big of a deal if management was responsive.

He did have a final walk through and there was a list of things they were suppose to take care of but he's been waiting for weeks on end. }

Ideally they would be there next day but a couple of weeks is not a ridiculous amount of time.

quote:

I think one of the big problems is the craftsmanship of the people working on behalf of the developer.

Consider how much your friend payed. In real estate you get what you pay for. If he payed a reasonable amount his expectations should be in the same range.

Yes, it sucks and I suspect management will eventually address his issues but was he expecting world class craftsmanship at $150/sq. foot? (guessing the cost)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6587
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, like MY developer here in Eastern Market...the company might be under extreme pressure from their financing to get the project finished so the construction loan can be completed and the profit-taking can commence.

I'd bet they only have SO many people that can only work in one place at a time...and right now their priority is finishing units for MORE final sales.

They are under the gun also because of the rapidly changing housing market...they will NOT be able to support the prices they're asking for very long.

IF your friend is unsatisfied, and wants out...he should list his unit IMMEDIATELY and take whatever he can get while there still might be a buyer or two that nibbles at the bait.

Plus, listing his unit will certainly put a big fire under management's butt to get him happy...last thing they need is a current owner publicly airing their inadequacies BEFORE the project is completed.

Cheers!

313andproud
Username: 313andproud

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.136.138.45
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that especially in older buildings that issues do come up. I've been there before and they make it very clear to people that they are renovating a 1920's building, not RESTORING it. The "friend" of this guy who is supposedly having problems is NO friend if he wants his friend to get a return on his investment. I KNOW people who live there and they really really like it there. Maybe those people have some understanding of the construction process and renovating older buildings.

Gannon

Post Number: 6612
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the communications and other low-voltage wiring should have been tested and confirmed to work before all the walls were closed...and a CofO authorized.

Ha! Your talk of ROI speaks loads...with all but ONE post here, I'd highly suspect you of working with the, um, renovation team.

IF it were totally restored back to it's original condition, they wouldn't HAVE any cable, or new phone service...or perhaps even air conditioning...since none of those were available in the 20's.

And the fireplaces and double-pregnant doors for the dry-cleaning service would be operating...I lived in Unit 714 for a spell (if that is the corner unit, might have been 718)...probably the absolute finest apartment I'd ever dared step foot in, except for one three-bedroom/bathroom monster we partied in on Jefferson near Indian Village.

I am happy that this renovation is being done, but there is still NO excuse for shoddy, unchecked workmanship...unless they are being sold at firesale prices! (with free lifetime association and parking fees)

I still say there is SOME latitude for the management to not be responding...since the pressure HAS to be on them to get the rest of the building occupied...but still.

Stecks77

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 69.242.214.7
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(quote) "The "friend" of this guy who is supposedly having problems is NO friend if he wants his friend to get a return on his investment."

313anproud: What the hell are you talking about? Did I make it sound as if I was telling him to sell his place?

I was simply trying to do him a favor and see if anyone in the community had any feedback about there experience (or anyone else's) moving into a new unit at the Park Shelton. Its obvious you have nothing worthwhile to say but feel the need to chime in anyway regardless.

I guess my friend shouldn't be complaining even though the "renovation team" didn't bother priming and painting dry wall mud along the edges of the windows before turning over the unit for occupancy.

Its sad if you should just accept poor craftsmanship and attention to detail if you only pay $150 a square foot.

(Message edited by stecks77 on September 12, 2006)

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 889
Posted From: 193.32.3.83
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The landmark building is being painstakingly brought back to its former grandeur, with a thorough structural and thorough interior modernization. The architect and development team are paying meticulous attention to the building's style, in order to capture the original spirit of the building.

http://theparkshelton.com/insi de_index.htm

Jt1

Post Number: 7881
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks - I wasn't saying that he should expect poor craftsmanship. I am saying that he shouldn't expect the best of the best when he is paying a relatively low price.

Stecks77

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1: The relatively low price you suggest he paid was $240,000 (including upgrades) for a one bedroom apartment. That is $214 a square foot. I don't know what you can afford but that is not exactly cheap.

Mrjoshua: Its good to hear from the developer and I'm glad you provided another link to your smooth talking slick website but the reality is that your words do not completly match your actions.

If you were conducting a "painstakingly thorough interior modernization with meticulous attention to detail" the above problems I mentioned would have been avoided or you could at least conduct repairs in a reasonable amount of time.

Drywall mud left unprimed and painted along window edges and tile sealant splashed onto cabinets is not meticulous. The only thing that has been painstaking for my friend has been dealing with management who don't return calls in a timely manner and let things slide for weeks on end.

Should you expect these kinds of problems in such a large and complex project like the Park Shelton? Yes, but you would also expect a decent level of service and attention to keeping your buyers happy and satisfied with what they've purchased.

My concern is also for the future of this city.

My friend was willing to pay $215 a square foot for a one bedroom apartment in Detroit! Unless your extrmemly dedicated to the city and really want to live here its very easy for another person who is considering moving into the city for the first time to just go the suburbs when comparing quality and price.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1847
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mr. Joshua was being sarcastic.

You know, pointing out the flowery words used by marketing folks in contrast to what your friend has experienced.

But sometimes sarcasm is just one level too high to grasp for many around here.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6852
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was really well said, Dabirch.

Jt1

Post Number: 7882
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jt1: The relatively low price you suggest he paid was $240,000 (including upgrades) for a one bedroom apartment. That is $214 a square foot. I don't know what you can afford but that is not exactly cheap.

214/sq for that location seems steep to me. I was guessing at the 150 as stated above.

quote:

Unless your extrmemly dedicated to the city and really want to live here its very easy for another person who is considering moving into the city for the first time to just go the suburbs when comparing quality and price.

Or they could look at many of the other developments in the area. I wasn't told that the Park Shelton represents all quality and all projects for the entire city.

Just pointing out the silliness of the 'I have a friend that is unhappy at the PS so otehr people that were going to move into the city will go to the sububrs' stuff.

I hope your friend gets everything resolved with his unit and enjoys it after the repairs are made.

(Message edited by jt1 on September 13, 2006)

Gannon

Post Number: 6656
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its,

Don't be sarcastic, you KNOW how fragile Dabirch's psyche is...

Gannon

Post Number: 6664
Posted From: 69.47.53.101
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you talking about?

Damn newbies...

Gannon

Post Number: 6665
Posted From: 69.47.53.101
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In lieu of my post count having 666 in it, the next five posts, including the one above, are totally outrageous sarcasm.

Except this one, of course.

Really.

Stecks77

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: How does the 666 lead to sarcasm?

Gannon

Post Number: 6745
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was being a devil...

Stecks77

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friends call me the anti-christ on occassion so this conversation is quite a coincidence.

Gannon

Post Number: 6757
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mathematically, we might cancel each other out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.