Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Suprizing Tri-County population results « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4977
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latest figures from SEMCOG's Community and population estimates showed that Dearborn's population has passed the 100,000 mark making the 1st largest populated suburb in Wayne County While Livonia's population of 100,000 is long gone due to white flight, more empty nesters and poor school district and lower ecomonic job base since the people opt out the SMART bus system.

Meanwhile, Detroit's population continue to decrease to 866,000 people. Macomb County may surpass Detroit's population by late 2007.

http://www.semcog.org/Data/Pop ulationEstimates/assets/po0906 .pdf

The black population, mostly from the ghettohoods of Detroit, continue to migrate to other suburban cities. Warren has gained over 9,800 blacks, Troy gained 5,000 blacks, Sterling Heights gained 4,800 blacks, Farmington Hills and Westland's black population has boomed to 14%. Eastpointe and Harper Woods would be next on the growing black population list.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 253
Posted From: 69.19.14.32
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what do you call it when a black family moves out of the city? black flight?

Who gives a frig what color you are if you want to move?

Is it reverse racism if a black family moves out of Detroit?

What if a white family moves into Detroit, got a special name for that as well?

I am sick of hearing *white flight*, maybe people just want to move

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 254
Posted From: 69.19.14.32
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and you know why Macomb's population is growing? Black flight!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1141
Posted From: 69.136.129.82
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb's population is growing for a few reasons. 1. Black flight, 2. Growing Middle Eastern population in areas like Western Sterling Heights, and 3. People moving from Oakland to Macomb due to lower taxes, more affordable housing.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1397
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Job losses cause flight of any color for those willing to relocate (often by necessity out of state) in order to chase after good paying jobs elsewhere (which are continually drying up in Metro Detroit).

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6846
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it me, or is Cleo being especially hysterical today? I happened to bump into her this morning and our conversation was a little stilted:

ITSJEFF: "Oh, hi, Cleo. Did you hear about the new trends in white flight?"

CLEO: "OMFG! STOP SAYING THAT! THERE'S NO SUCH THING! I'M MELTING! (high pitched shreiking.)"

ITSJEFF: "Okay, bye."

CLEO: "JESUS, HOW CAN YOU SAY 'BYE' TO ME? I ALREADY MOVED OUT OF MACOMB COUNTY!!! (more high pitched shreiking)"

K_solomon
Username: K_solomon

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 199.178.223.4
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^LMAO!!!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1972
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's and interest point that Danny and Ms. Cleo make. Why is it called "white flight" if it's just white folks, but called "middle class flight" if it's black folks moving to the suburbs?

We're dealing with loaded words and terms here that have exploded in the past. Be careful!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6847
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the term, "black flight" used in the papers many times.

Danny

Post Number: 4980
Posted From: 141.217.173.62
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob

Actually lots of folks are moving into Oakland County even though the property tax base is high. Lots of people are moving out of Wayne County more than folks comming in.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4401
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume "white flight" was originally used, because the large-scale exodus from the city during the 60's and 70's was largely tinged and tarnished with race relations, and was almost exclusively a white movement. The black migration is much more recent, but is not a singular movement as whites are still moving, as well. And seem to be only be moving to seek out greener pastures; the race compenent just isn't there, so to make the issue of race in the flight just wouldn't seem to make sense, especially considering whites are also moving. This movement out of the city is a mixed race movement, which blacks and whites moving out, as opposed to the almost exclusive white movement out of the city in the 60's and 70's.

But, it's definitely an issue of semantics, and you could call it black flight, and still be correct in calling it that. It just wouldn't be the best description since it's not a singular race movement.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2781
Posted From: 4.229.105.64
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deja Vu!!

Danny, you must really really love Dearborn?? :-)

This is your 3rd thread in 2006 based on Dearborn's population going over 100,000 (for the 2nd time in 40 years).

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of that white flight from the 1940s through 1970s was just moving closer to the source of jobs (which also left the city) and getting a bigger house on something other than many of Detroit's tiny 30-foot lots located in much safer surroundings. Besides, the property taxes were much cheaper too. And today, there would be no Detroit city income taxes to pay either.

All good reasons for reasonable folks to get the hell out of Dodge...

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1142
Posted From: 68.42.98.224
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, you're absolutely correct, I was just clarifying the comment about Macomb Couty. OC is still having the same population gains from Wayne.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why call it black or white flight?

Just call it everyone moving out of a crappy city with a corrupt government trying to avoid paying high taxes for police that don't show up, teachers that don't show up and leaders who don't care.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 255
Posted From: 66.82.9.56
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*applause*

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo, what happens when black flight follows you to your new digs?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1814
Posted From: 69.209.132.28
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, there are probably more white folks moving into Detroit than moving out at this point. That's why the term "white flight" isn't used anymore to described migration out of Detroit.

Blacks who are tired of the same things that whites were tired of regarding Detroit are moving out. They are usually middle class blacks. However, even blacks without a lot of means are moving out. Many black renters are moving into two-family flats in Grosse Pointe Park(GPP) to take advantage of the excellent public school system. However, there are more for sale signs going up as white-flight from GPP begins.

I don't know for sure if it's a racial thing or the desire for a newer house with more space, but the white folks in GPP along the three or four blocks that border Detroit are leaving.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4411
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, if you believe the ACS or any recent estimates, the black percentage is still growing despite their numbers dropping in the city, meaning whites are still moving out of Detroit faster than they are coming in, and even faster still than blacks are leaving Detroit. When this will level out, I have no idea, but the bleeding hasn't stopped.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 69.19.14.38
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would I care?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4418
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, why would you? Which begs the question, why do you keep posting here at DetroitYes.com? You have no interest in Detroit besides trolling on these boards.

Really, if you actually don't care, why bother posting at all? Oh, that's right, because you're a classic internet troll.

Why don't you try starting CharlevoixYes.com, and see how much interest you get? There, you can wax on about your utopian society, and have others enjoy that spot with you. You could glow about sunsets without powerlines, streets without blatant crime, homeless people, and trash. You could even try actually timing how fast paint dries, if you you'd like. There, you could gush to your own hearts content about how happy you are in the place that is Charlevoix, which is not only the end all/be all of Michigan culture, but the center of the known universe.

Hey, whatever you need to tell yourself to help you sleep at night, right?

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 13, 2006)

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 68.40.179.74
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,

I went through the pdf document Danny posted.
I have to say that I was very surprised looking at some numbers, and this is where your expertise will be needed: I was suprised to see that the "dense" towns in the suburbs were doing not so well : note the sharp decrease of population in Royal Oak (-8%), Ferndale (-6%), a stagnation in Birmingham, but a sharp increase in places like Novi and Lyon!!

The suburban cities also neighbouring Detroit are victims of the same depressing trends.
Mostly exurban cities are booming.

Does this show the unfortunate trend of the exurbanity of the South East MI and that the odds are all going to give Detroit an even harder time?

Really, I don't think there is much hope left. It is really depressing.
I'm really starting to wonder whether we will ever have a bustling, safe, packed Detroit....

The numbers show the contrary.
Thanks for your insights guys..

(Message edited by Frenchman_in_the_d on September 13, 2006)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 510
Posted From: 70.160.37.222
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There, you could gush to your own hearts content about how happy you are in the place that is Charlevoix, which is not only the end all/be all of Michigan culture, but the center of the known universe.

That's a pretty hypocritical statement considering that's the exact same attitude that the "gushers" here at DYES have concerning Detroit.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4419
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm not one of them.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please support the petition to
Bring SMART Back to Livonia.

See the all new website and please comment
because after filing my civil rights complaint,
I want to change it again to get people to take
me seriously. I really do want to fill the buses up and make Detroit a world class mass transit city.

http://savethefueltax.org

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 70.229.255.110
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(quote)

"Meanwhile, Detroit's population continue to decrease to 866,000 people. Macomb county may surpass Detroit's population by late 2007"

Just think, Detroit becoming a suburb of Warren. I thought about this not too long ago. That would get very yucky. In addition to that, I heard Warren is trying to develop a CBD. VERY YUCKY for Detroit.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4430
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? Warren is a city of 130,000 or so people. More importantly, Macomb County is a large county (480 square miles of land, 89 square miles of land), with multiple municipalities, some of which don't even like each other. In no way is it comparable to a single city of 139 square miles of land, within a county. Detroit is not ever going to be a suburb of Warren or Macomb County.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 358
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compare this to Macomb County

Wayne County is located in southeastern Michigan, encompassing approximately 623 square miles. It is made up of 33 cities, including the city of Detroit, 10 townships, one village and 41 public school districts. Its population of approximately 2.1 million makes it the most populous county in the State of Michigan and the eleventh most populous county in the Nation.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4432
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a Wayne County/Macomb County comparison is much more apt, as they are both counties. Comparing a city to a county made up of multiple and often fractured municipalities is just ridiculous, and it's even more ridiculous to imply that Warren, in the forseeable future, will be the center of the region.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 12.75.22.52
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One important "white flight" factor that people tend to ignore is that a lot of it is intra-racial. That is, middle-class and the better-off working class whites move away from a place because they don't want to have anything to do with poor whites. Some of these whites would also move away if there were blacks, immigrants, or other minorities around. But others are OK with other racial or ethnic groups as long as they're solidly middle class and not "trashy."

And now the same thing is happening with black people. Middle class blacks now have both the freedom and the means to move to the suburbs-- away from poor blacks-- and that's exactly what they're doing. Like the middle class whites, these black people want to live in an area with good schools, where people keep their houses and yards nice, where parents don't let their kids run wild, where there are coffee houses and boutiques instead of dollar stores and check cashing places, where nobody parks their truck on the front lawn, where there are mostly owner-occupied homes instead of rental property, and where you don't see rundown apartment buildings or trailer parks of any kind.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...and it's even more ridiculous to imply that Warren, in the forseeable future, will be the center of the region."

It's even more ridiculous to imply that Detroit will again become the center of this metroplex.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4434
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even more ridiculous? Are you serious? Warren doesn't have the infastructure, nor could it build it fast enough, to become the center of the region for the forseeable future. Again, are you serious?

Dtown1

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, there is nothing in Detroit but vacnat homes and vacnat office buildings. Warren does at lleast have safer neighborhoods and beter schools that detroit. Its also the third largest city in Michigan, Southfield so far is the center of commerce. That shouldnt last though from here on out though.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I play softball in Center Line, which is essentially Warren. Warren is better than Detroit, by far, in many ways.

For one, Warren has traffic--a sure sign of business activity. If I cross the street there as I can in Detroit, I'd get killed. But I surely couldn't get hired in Detroit as easily as in Warren if I needed a job...

But I'm not pushing Warren, though. It's simply ludicrous to maintain that Detroit much amounts to anything outside of its governmental office buildings infrastructure. The suburbs have their government buildings too, so that's really no big deal either.

I don't visit casinos--don't need that braindead waste of money. Although I like sports and I had really great second-row lower box seats in shallow left field for Comerica's first night game, I never went back. Don't need those events either.

Hell, I could tolerate Warren or Center Line or Eastpointe or ...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 14, 2006)

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 564
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandma was part of the white flight movement. She sold her home in Detroit, packed her bags and took a flight to Florida where she lived for 15 years. Because of the general economy, I think there will be more flight!

Dtown1

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically, the only thing in dowtown Detroit before the 50' appeared to be civil places and shopping and another industrail zone, much like today with less life.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove through Warren's South side this morning at 9 & Van Dyke. What a dump!!! I would rather live at Outer Drive and Van Dyke than 9 & Van Dyke.

The homes are much nicer at OD & VD than 9 & VD and the people are of a better class.

People need to learn that the problem in Detroit is no longer a black or white issue. Now it has become a class issue.

I will (and have) live in a hood where I am the only white person as long as my neighbor's have the same values as myself.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove through Warren's South side this morning at 9 & Van Dyke. What a dump!!! I would rather live at Outer Drive and Van Dyke than 9 & Van Dyke.

The homes are much nicer at OD & VD than 9 & VD and the people are of a better class.

People need to learn that the problem in Detroit is no longer a black or white issue. Now it has become a class issue.

I will (and have) live in a hood where I am the only white person as long as my neighbor's have the same values as myself.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4435
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I'm the crazy one Livernoisyard and Dtown? lol I'm not going to aruge that Detroit is on the list of most centralized metros, but when you guys start arguing about Warren being more influential than Detroit, then, I think it's time for you two to get your heads checked, not me. Central Detroit is still the cultural center of the region. It's still has the single largest office district, and single largest concentration of office space, in the metro (Southfield and Troy, each separately in their entirely have more space, but that's spread out over 26 square miles and 33 square miles respectively in multiple center).

Seriously, Detroit has fallen very far, but let's stop the hyperbole and the purposeful lies flying around.

Dtown1

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a class issue at all. HEY 72! anywhere along Outer Drive would look ritzy because its along Outer Drive. 7 Mile and Van and 8 Mile and Van Dyke is much worse that 9 mile and Van Dyke in Warren.

A 17 year old boy was shot and killed right at the bus stop on 7 Mile and Van Dyke for nothing. He wasn't bothering no one. The worst part is, the BP gas owner wouldnt let the boy stay in the gas ststion until his uncle came to pick him up because of possible youthful intentions. Now come on, if you cant catch the bus just to come home without being shot in the head, then the end of our lives are near.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you bet I am proud and happy about where I live. I lived in the Detroit area for 40 years, and watched it sprial ever down ward year after year. You cant compare the quality of life between Charlevoix and Detroit.

I always enjoyed what little Detroit has to offer, great resturants and museums etc...but the bad out shines the good doesnt it? Read your own topics here, gloom and doom. Crooked mayor, no police, shootings, stabbings, bad schools, un employment etc, etc....and you wonder why people leave the city? lol.

Detroit needs to wake up and smell the coffee, it will NEVER be a great city cause the powers that be want to keep it right where it is: under their thumbs so they can continue with their corrupt ways.

You can put down Charlevoix all you want, I know the truth. It is a beautiful peaceful spot where you can walk downtown and not feel threatened. People are friendly and helpful, no bums on the street. The schools are top notch, the police and fire dept strong. No crumbling building, no nasty vacant lots , hardly any crime, its agreat place to raise a family. I feel blessed to be able to live here.........oh and we are not here because of *white flight* as I am sure you would like to imagine. We are here because of the Auto Industry falling down around Detroits ears. My husband found a wonderful job and didnt take any cut in pay, in fact, its better up here with the insurance and all....there was nothing to keep us down near the city, nothing at all

But I come here cause I still CARE about the city, the area I spent 40 years in, I keep hoping to hear new great things happening, but alas, its the same old same old isnt it? Too bad.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - Where did you get the numbers showing the increases in blacks in Warren/Troy/Sterling Heights?

------------------------------ --------------Warren has gained over 9,800 blacks, Troy gained 5,000 blacks, Sterling Heights gained 4,800 blacks, Farmington Hills and Westland's black population has boomed to 14%. Eastpointe and Harper Woods would be next on the growing black population list.
------------------------------ ----------------

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a no brainer that Eastpointe and Roseville have rapidly increasing black populations. And flight there is in effect.

Danny

Post Number: 4992
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,

For sure, The homes in Detroit's East Side around Outer Drive and Van Dyke from 7 to 8 Mile in the Nor-town district are well kept up black community for over 30 years. While the poor crappy mostly wood frame ranches in the White community on Warren on Van Dyke business corridor from 8 Mile Rd. to 9 Mile rd near the Center Line border is becomming like a instant white man's ghetto. I don't see any blacks tying to move over to those homes for they don't like the style of the neighborhood. Black folks who want to move to Warren from Detroit or someplace else tend to live in well kept up cookie cutter brick style ranch, bungalows, condos and apts and that's were they're mostly at right now.

The wood frame cheap brightmooresque ranch homes along Warren's Van Dyke corridor was built from the 1920s up to the 1950s + to fullfill the demand for hungary white buyers who want to escape from Detroit's black problems and live near their manufacturing plants. I also see other ethnic folks who want to live over that area.

Danny

Post Number: 4993
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard,

You absolutely right,

Black-folks from Detroit or anyplace else are quickly moving to those cookie cutter brick ranch and bungalows at Eastpointe neighborhoods starting from 8 Mile Rd. from border of Warren to Beaconsfield St. all the way up to 9 mile Rd, too. When black-folks get tired of the ghetto, they want to move out as soon as possible. And of course Roseville has a traditional "Africantown" community north of 10 mile Rd. from Gratiot to Kelly. Black-folks had been there since the 1920s but they haven't expanded due to restrictive covenants.

Danny

Post Number: 4994
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now, Warren's black population is 7 percent, by 2010 it would be 18%.

Eastpointe's black population is 5%, by 2010 it would be 16%.

Detroit's black population is 82%, by 2010 it would be 76%. Now can see the black flight is happening here in now. When white-folks leave Detroit, black-folks leave, too.

Dtown1

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets look at Belle Isle for rreference. Danny please say African American and Ill say European-American. Now Belle Isle was the European-American's hangout before the 70s. They would take the family out for a barbecue or some recreational activity. Now when they begun to aloow African-Americans on the island, the private European-American company that owned it didnt want any part of the African-Americans detroying the park. So after a while, European-Americans slowly migrated to parks like Chandler Park and Ballduck. then when the African-Americans started to come in and ruin the saitity in chandler Park, the European-Americans quickly migrated to parks such as Metro Beach. Up til now, the European-Americans were the only ones really going to Metro Beach. Now the European-Americans are slowly easing away from Metro Beach because the African-Americans have found out about it. I would consider Metro Park like Belle Isle jr. Now, the older generations of African-Americans stopped going to these recreational places such as Belle-Isle because the younger generations are letting the parks rot and become even more ghettoized. So Recently the older generations of African-?Americans are starting to migrate to parks such as Ballduck and Metro Park. Now, the younger generations of African-Americans are tired of the dump that hey created. So now their migrating away from places such as Belle-Isle or Chandler Park to Ballduck or Metro Park.

In conclusion, European-Americans people continue to move because the African-American people are too ghettoized and run down.

And of course, people dont like trashy places. So instead of cleaning their mistakes up, African-Americans go and trash other places with their ghettoized styles.

So in my opinion, this is why one way flights are the way in these days, because of laziness of some people and iiresponsibilty of others, and also impatience of most.

Danny

Post Number: 4997
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1,

Not only your argument has no thesis, but also your arguments has too much stereotypes. White flight from Detroit to the suburbs is more than black-folks who want to set up their activities and later ghettotized the parks.

(Message edited by danny on September 18, 2006)

Dtown1

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know if I ststed it, but it was meant to be one way to look at. My basic point is once the resources that people need to survive disappear, then eventually the poeple disappear. Most, not all of metro Detroit schools under the
public school systems are very poorly run and unorganized. Police response in the immediate metro area takes longer than an average movie length, or two hours. Then when things like this start to become unbarrable, people move to have a better life. However, what the people aren't realizing is that their the problem no matter where they go. That's where my point of irresponsibility and laziness comes in. People are too lazy to take the time and look through the brick wall. As I recalled last election in the city of Detroit, the younger genereation didnt care who they were voting for. Now I feel that is lazy because your too lazy to take the time and vote for someone who can actually run the city right and is trustworthy. Overall, Mayor Kilpatrick hasnt done much. Most of the empowerment zones and developments were put together by Dennis Archer.

Now how does responsibility some into play? Now when people want to move and have flights, their not taking responsibility in thinking that they are the real problems. So once those same irresponsible poeple come to a sububrb or city, they will just run the place down to the ground like they did to the place beforehand. This is what causes flights, laziness to see whats really going on and irresponsibilities to think that maybe your the problem. So I go back to one's question..... Will people be living in Lake Huron if they move any further. The way its looking, this may be possible.

Dtown1

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know if I ststed it, but it was meant to be one way to look at. My basic point is once the resources that people need to survive disappear, then eventually the poeple disappear. Most, not all of metro Detroit schools under the
public school systems are very poorly run and unorganized. Police response in the immediate metro area takes longer than an average movie length, or two hours. Then when things like this start to become unbarrable, people move to have a better life. However, what the people aren't realizing is that their the problem no matter where they go. That's where my point of irresponsibility and laziness comes in. People are too lazy to take the time and look through the brick wall. As I recalled last election in the city of Detroit, the younger genereation didnt care who they were voting for. Now I feel that is lazy because your too lazy to take the time and vote for someone who can actually run the city right and is trustworthy. Overall, Mayor Kilpatrick hasnt done much. Most of the empowerment zones and developments were put together by Dennis Archer.

Now how does responsibility some into play? Now when people want to move and have flights, their not taking responsibility in thinking that they are the real problems. So once those same irresponsible poeple come to a sububrb or city, they will just run the place down to the ground like they did to the place beforehand. This is what causes flights, laziness to see whats really going on and irresponsibilities to think that maybe your the problem. So I go back to one's question..... Will people be living in Lake Huron if they move any further. The way its looking, this may be possible.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.