Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Rock Financial meeting at 2 PM today at the Fox « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the meeting about that Rock Financial had at 2 PM today at the Fox?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annual meeting that they had there last year. I was excited when I heard about it but was told it means nothing regarding them moving downtown.

Sorry... wah.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7892
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What was the meeting about that Rock Financial had at 2 PM today at the Fox?

I heard that they were reading and discussing all of the letters and e-mails they received asking that they move to Detroit.

(Message edited by jt1 on September 13, 2006)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1850
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are not playing the part of the asshole if you call attention to it and put the little smiley face next to it.

You can do better.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 141.217.226.172
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When are they going to make an announcement about that?

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are consulting this site each day to determine how many posters have gone mad waiting for an announcement. Only when the count has reach 100 posters will they make an announcement.
Kidding aside, I bet they are talking about money and availability as we gnash our teeth.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 995
Posted From: 65.54.154.112
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am mad waiting for an announcement! Add one to the count.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Details on the meeting and a few hints about their future in Detroit.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060914/OPINI ON03/609140361

Quinn

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060914/BUS INESS06/609140395

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 290
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it sounds like there will be not be a decision on a relocation announced for several months...

Oh well...at least the idea of a move downtown is still open

Quinn

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a hunch...

I think that the management at QL is, for the most part, conservative/republican. I'd bet they supported Bush in '04, and are supporting Devos in '06.

If they made a decision yesterday in front of a bunch of cameras and their employees...no doubt Kilpatrick and Granholm would be there. Not that they don't want them to get any credit, rather I think they would not want to help Granholm in any way get support for her re-election.

Sound paranoid? Maybe...it's just that I thought they said earlier they would announce it this fall...like September.

I don't think it's too far a stretch to think that they don't want this announcement to help Granholm win...or be scene as a platform for her to take credit...probably thinking about scenes of Jennifer at the Google announcement.

Thoughts?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the??

Those are all assumptions.

Companies make decisions based on business and financial reasons, otherwise they would not survive. Plain and simple.

Quinn

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because of those reasons? I don't agree that business is so emotionally detached.

For instance, they just bought "FatHead."

Is that solely for financial reasons? No...Dan Gilbert LOVES sports. Will it be a successful (financially) venture? Probably.

My point...business decisions are made daily based on gutteral and emotional feelings.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4067
Posted From: 68.255.239.19
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait for the Quicken Loans bankruptcy announcement. In fact I've been writing mad letters to Eliot Spitzer asking him to investigate Quicken Loans to speed up the process.

Jt1

Post Number: 7896
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the love of god can we just stop the guess work on this. Hasn't it been beat to death.

If or when there is an announcment then we can bitch or celebrate accordingly, until then we are just a bunch of idiots with nothing more than opinions.

If someone has solid evidence, by all means post it but damn we go through this every week.

The Rock conversations are starting to remind me of being 14-15 and talking with my buddies about getting laid. We didn't know anything about it but we all wanted to get laid really bad.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 996
Posted From: 4.229.69.167
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate their damn commercials.

Jt1

Post Number: 7897
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can you hate the combincation of cheesy rock music and David Hall.

I think David Hall should release an album of him discussing mortgage rates set over cheesy 80s rock.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4989
Posted From: 141.217.174.219
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!!!! We need a new 100 story Rock Financial Building in Downtown Detroit right away.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 68.251.57.40
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For someone who works in campaign politics, this conspiracy theory would not surprise me. The donor/candidate networks are very tight and when donors max out to a campaign, they will do anything they can to help the candidate (aka, what Gilbert could be doing for DeVos); although, I would like to think Gilbert is an intelligent guy and would in no way support that hack DeVos or the republican party.

Quinn

Post Number: 925
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tkelly...

I was just throwing out an idea.

I picked up a friend who was at that meeting yesterday and saw the thousands of people coming out to all of the buses they had hired to take them back to suburbialand. I was thinking, "What a waste...they could have walked the people in a parade down to the site (either one they chose) and had a huge rally. Would have been perfect timing." But...I guess they do this meeting every year.

Tkelly...yes Dan is extremely intelligent...I'm probably wrong.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 934
Posted From: 68.42.170.153
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Politics and money go hand in hand. I doubt that Gilbert would hold the announcement until after the election purposely to stick it to Granholm. That would be just a dumb move to make if you plan on relocating into a Democrat-dominated area. But a openended statement like this, "I would hope by Jan. 1 that we have a clear choice of where we're going" makes me think he is trying to get the best deal possible out of Granholm, Kilpatrick. I wouldn't be surprised if that statement really means, "Give me the grandest of sweatheart deals and I'll give your campaign a bump by making the announcement before the election."

The really interesting tidbit from this story is this, "This is the company that's been encouraged to move as many as 500 people into Detroit as a trial run." One Kennedy Square anyone?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1033
Posted From: 146.9.52.102
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or empty space in Compuware

E_hemingway

Post Number: 935
Posted From: 68.42.170.153
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh... The Karamos factor. I didn't realize there was that much empty space in Compuware.

Quinn

Post Number: 926
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is space for 500 employees in compuware? Wow...didn't know that.

I think the "Ernst&Young" aka 1 kennedy Square would be a very cool starting point.

E_hemingway...I think your analysis is probably correct. Again...it was just a thought.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1148
Posted From: 68.42.98.224
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, DeVos would be pushing for Quicken to relocate to downtown Grand Rapids.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 164.76.189.121
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if this is something either of them would want to take credit for.

It might make Detroit voters more likely to vote for Granholm, but it would make the people where various old offices are less likely, and on top of that, it would be see overall as shifting jobs around, not making new ones. The same would go for DeVos.

And I wonder if DeVos and the rest of the state really care if some offices get moved a few miles all the way in metro Detroit.

Quinn

Post Number: 927
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw...I think it's more significant than that.

A new, large construction project downtown and a "new" leading industry (other than automotive). Fairly significant for Detroit...invaluable kudos for an incumbent candidate.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, if Granholm were to help facilitate the moving of a company from Detroit into the suburbs, how to you think the people of Detroit would react?

Any move QL makes has zero sum gain written all over it, including jobs and votes.

Granholm needed to get coportations to move into Detroit from 2 hours away (Ohio), not twenty minutes away.

Quinn

Post Number: 928
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk... I disagree.

1. This election, no matter what anyone says, will be won by Granholm depending on IF Detroit votes. Detroit will vote nearly 100% for the democrat...it's just getting people to vote.

2. Detroiters are simple voters...any company moving into the city will be seen as good, even if they are currently 1 block north of 8 mile.

3. This, even if you think it's not significant, will get TONS of press locally and statewide. That's worth it's weight in gold to Jennifer if her name is even mentioned in the same articles/news reports.

You are underestimating the Detroit vote...it's very powerful...just ask Blanchard why he lost.

Do you really think anyone in Livonia would miss Quicken that much and take action against Granholm for moving them out? And so what if they did...their too busy fu$king their sisters to go out and vote in November anyway. I really don't see it...it's apples and oranges.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1307
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, there would also be lots of construction jobs created in the process, and work for architechture firms, banks, etc, just by a move...

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2948
Posted From: 69.221.35.71
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course "you were there" Quinn.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the voters in Detroit going to change who they will vote for?

You got to be kidding, they made their choice as soon as the party choice was made.

The problem (if it is one) Granholm has is keeping Kwame out of the news. If she shows up with him in Traverse City or Oscoda newspaper pictures, she loses votes. It may be tough to keep him from making a spectacle of himself but for some strange reason he doesn't have a problem with blowing out of town or out of state.

On the otherhand, it's only a matter of time until Bouchard plays out the photo op Dangerously Incompetent Debbie gave him. The pollsters are already wondering how an incumbent is only getting 50% of the support. Yeah she needs a lot more to clinch things, here's hoping she goes down in flames.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4427
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only 54% to Bouchard's routine posting at 34% with a few months left. The thing is, Michigan independents (who are going to decide this) haven't flocked over enough to the GOP yet, and I'm wondering what's taking them so long?

Angry_dad

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No last poll was 50% she's going down.

Any Senator that proposes a $500 bribe for a vote needs to be removed. And that's Dangerous Debbie.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1418
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Any move QL makes has zero sum gain written all over it, including jobs and votes."

Boy! This forum contributes muchos eggcorns...

It's "game." But they do sound somewhat similar. But that's what eggcorns (misapplication of acorns) are all about. However, due to ignorance of the real term, this eggcorn is being misapplied more and more often.

Quinn

Post Number: 929
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing Angry-dad is posting here because there is no DetroitNo! forum...

Get lost...if you hate the city so much then GO FAR AWAY.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 936
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Selling the Quicken move downtown would be pretty easy to both suburbs and city alike. Let's say that Gilbert announces the move tomorrow. Big press conference at Grand Circus Park comprised of the normal major execs like Karamos and Ilitch along with the major politicians like Granholm, Stabenow and Kilpatrick. All patting each other on the back for a job well done. It would heralded as a job creation event because our local and state leaders made sure one of the state's fastest-rising and brightest corporatations stays at home and away from Cleveland. Not only are they keeping all of the thousands of existing jobs in Metro Detroit, but that company will also be creating thousands of jobs in the future. And what better place for this new prince of the city than in a resurgent downtown next to the state's other major corporations, like Compuware and GM. They'll also be sure to emphasize that Quicken will keep its satelite offices open. Everyone will tout it as the type of leadership moving Michigan and Detroit forward and rah, rah, rah. And most people will eat it up because they want to hear good news about the local economy, they want to hear about downtown improving and they want to hear about local leadership working to make their lives better. And helping securing jobs within easy driving distance of their homes qualifies as that.

On a side note, polls are looking up for the Democratic ticket. The smart money is still on the incumbents.

Granholm keeps lead amid jitters

Voters prefer her over GOP's DeVos, even though 60% say she's not doing a good job.

quote:

"With the election 7 1/2 weeks off, voters favor Granholm over DeVos 50 percent to 42 percent. Seven percent are still undecided and 1 percent say they'll vote for a third-party candidate, according to the survey of 608 likely voters commissioned by The News and WXYZ and conducted by Lansing-based EPIC/MRA. Granholm was ahead 49-42 last month."

and

quote:

"And Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow of Lansing is building her lead over Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard in the race for the U.S. Senate. She now leads 53 percent to 34 percent, compared to her 51 percent to 38 percent margin in August. The poll has an error margin of 4 points."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060915/P OLITICS01/609150382

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EHemingway, Granholm touting a company such as Quicken/Rock would also look incredibly hypocritical given her campaign's recent swipes at Alticor/Amway.

With the Ford announcement, combined with continued highest unemployment in the country, highest negative job growth, record foreclosures, real estate glut, 60% negative job rating, all internal polls still showing a statistical tie, and the DeVos China attacks being exposed as bogus, look for the public tide to turn to the challengers.

Stecks77

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been waiting for my Amway toilet paper for six months! Devos sure isn't going to get my vote.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2951
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In your "smart-arm" financed house, right Stecks?

Angry_dad

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm guessing Angry-dad is posting here because there is no DetroitNo! forum...

Get lost...if you hate the city so much then GO FAR AWAY."

That will solve all you problems.

Never said I hate the city, and I am not one that is speak for others. I do have a sore spot for Debbie, her past caused my family great grief and none of it was deserved. It was all her incompetence. I feel she is a complete fraud. And on top of that I have very trusted sources that tell me what an egotistitacal bastard she really is. No it's not because she is a Democrat, she is truly incompetent.

BTW in her presence, don't you dare use any other term besides "The Senator" in refering to her highness. No matter how screwed up she is.

Stecks77

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've already lost my house.

Stecks77

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All politicians are egotistical.

Bob

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In reality, what has happened is people did want a change, which is why DeVos's poll numbers went up. BUT, as people have not gotten any answers of any substance from him about anything, they have become leary of him. The other factor that is starting to turn the polls back in Granholm's favor is that people are starting to find out who DeVos really is, and they honestly do not like it.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Likewise Bob, people haven't gotten any answers (only excuses) out of Granholm for 3.5 years, and she only started to now make (feeble) attempts to present a plan.

Combine that with the general public growing leary of her employment stunts with Google, EPrize, Toyota, the Michigan Fund, etc...while not actually seeing any of those jobs for the average person.

Likewise with stunts ranging from the 2020 Olympics, to the Detroit Teacher's strike, to the DeVos China attacks. More and more people simply aren't buying it, hence the 60% negative job ratings and statistical ties on all internal polls from both camps. It looks like the Granholm team is now looking to run a scorched-earth campaign, only she may very well not be left standing in the end.

Bob

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't deny Granholm isn't the best, BUT do you really want an extreme social conservative like DeVos having a free run over state government with no check or balances thanks to a Republican House and Senate. Do you want gevernor who cares nothing about public schools and believes every child should have a religious education. The opposite is actually happening, people are not happy with Granholm, but left to wonder about DeVos and the more people find out about him, the more they dislike. He is not hepled by the fact the 80% of Michiganders have a negative opinion of Amway. Let's also throw out the fact that DeVos and his wife are some of the nations LARGEST donors to Bush, the Republican Party, and other extremely conservative causes. Why do you think DeVos does not want to release his tax records, might show how much the Alticor's largest shareholder is still getting. I will agree with you on the China attack thing, that was a survival move for Amway because they were in the crapper in the US (again there comes in the 80% negative impression). Granholm's not great, but DeVos is going to kill this state faster than Granholm. The MI GOP would have been served by nominating a Mitt Romney kind of Republican that would not be so extreme, then they would have easily won MI. It will be close regardless.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob there's nothing wrong with being socially conservative, just like there's nothing wrong with being socially liberal. There's nothing wrong with religious schools, just as there is nothing wrong with public schools. There's nothing wrong with donating to one party/candidate nor another party. There's nothing wrong with expanding to China, as virtually every major company has done. There's especially nothing wrong when you don't have the good shipped back here.

To constantly try to attack DeVos with claims that are are entirely opinion-based without discussing the facts and the state of the state shows the desperation of some Granholm supporters. This race is going to be close and I just don't see Granholm pulling it out. She simply doesn't have a record to stand on and unfortunately has had to resort to this type of stuff.

Bob

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're correct, there is nothing wrong with all of that, except, we have the right to know the true DeVos, instead of him covering up who is is to get elected, then he'll unleash his trying to turn Michigan into the Northern Bible belt once he's elected. All you have to do is go back to interview in the 1980 and 90s with both him and his wife and you get the true picture. Again, I agree with you about Granholm, and I was extremely disappointed that the MI GOP chose to pick DeVos and not someone who would be more of a moderate and truly fix things. I think DeVos is a nice guy, maybe a US Rep from west Michigan, but not a governor. He scared any other serious candidates away because they knew he could outspend almost anybody. Heck DeVos could outspend W in an election his pockets are so deep. I've even read his book and enjoyed it, but still do not think this guy should be governor. I could be completely wrong BUT if I'm correct you will see the standard of living fall faster than it is now, you will see education destroyed in Michigan, and you will see the city services of the south up here.

Bob

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love for you to prove me wrong MetroDetGuy because of I agree that Granholm could have done a lot more in the last 3.5 years than sitting on her hands a vetoing stuff, without trying to hammer out compromises. Like how they crafted the deal to fix the minimum wage and increase the college Merit Scholarship program. Where was stuff like that two years ago?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets face it they both are playing the dirty pool game now on their ads, DeVos is saying how he does not want negative ads yet by night time he has them on TV. Granholm attacks DeVos for his business decisions to survive, Anybody can take any issue and make it sound like a plus for them and a negative for the other side, You really have to decide which platform you want,, a conservative approach with strong Bush leanings or liberal one . I think most voters know what they want,, I hope,, The ads if researched should only fool dumb voters who dont research the facts.
They are both obviously directed at making their respective party look wonderful.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the election were held tomorrow, Granholm would win by about 6 to 10 points. Polls have consistently showed for the last month or two that she has rebuilt a lead and maintained it. Both candidates have a lot of mud left to sling about economics and plenty of money to do it. The best DeVos can hope for, barring something cataclsymic event like Ford declaring bankruptcy, is a draw when it comes to the economy because of his close association with Amway and Bush.

That will make personality an even bigger, if not the primary, issue in this race. DeVos' public persona draws more comparisons to Al Gore than JFK. That will show more and more as election day gets closer. He may have one of the slickest campaigns money can buy, but you can't buy charisma. His money is what has carried him to where he is now, not his personality. The opposite is true for Granholm. She exudes charisma. That's why Engler fought so hard to get a real challenger against her when she ran for attorney general. He knew, and feared, her charisma and ability to connect with people. That is making the difference right now. Despite a low job-approval rating most voters still like Granholm. And it's going to take a major blunder or cataclysmic event to change that in DeVos' favor.

She doesn't need a Quicken announcement before election day right now, although she would gladly welcome it if it happened. If the campaign terrian stays the same until election day, still a long way off, Granholm wins by at least 5 points.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Likewise Bob, Granholm has shown that she is really not gubernatorial material. She would make a great corporate lawyer as well as someone that would do some good sitting on various boards, but not in the governor's office.

On the contrary Ehem, the economy is what will ultimately sink Granholm. The lack of validity with the China attacks, the lack of a record to run on, combined with voters realizing that Bush isn't really responsible for the state of Michigan's economy (given that every other state is doing so much better than us as well as the fact that NAFTA went into effect in the early 90s) will finally add up with most voters.

Furthermore, Granholm can only go to the charisma and blame game wells so many times before they run dry. The lack of any real progress on the economy/job market (such as the Ford situation finally showing its full effect) will finally do her in.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4446
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway, you've summed up exactly what I see this race coming down to. Like you said, baring some total collapse of Ford or GM Devos has to make up ground somewhere else besides the economy. The most recent EPIC/MRA poll shows that Michiganians think the state is going the wrong way in a big way, they see the economy continuing to tank, and they even give Granholm terrible job preferomance numbers. All that, though, and they still don't blame her much for the problems which is surpising even to me, and they still trust her more than DeVos with the economy the poll shows. If there was never voting for the lesser of two evils in a Michigan election for the average Michigan voter, this is it.

DeVos has to find something else to pick at, because Michiganians have made it clear that they still trust her more with the economy, regardless of how horrible it gets. I still can't for the life of me see why the Michigan GOP allowed DeVos to get his foot in the door. Any other Republican would have clobbered Granholm this year. It seems the Michigan GOP is going the way of the national GOP in letting the religious conservatives hijack the party. The problem is that that doesn't work in a more moderate/less socially conservative Michigan.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a fair number of people in West MI through a Company office there and the fact that some of my family has moved there. Most of them are conservative repubilcan types - one is a corporate president of a very large Company.

My point is, they don't trust him either. I have asked a number of them about Dick and they all said they don't know who to vote for. They wished there had been a republican primary with another choice. They love Dick's Dad, don't think too much of Dick.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 709
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/f iles/mostpowerful/db_gilbert.h tml

when you read something like this, it can only make you optimistic about a move downtown.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The validity of the China attacks doesn't matter. The fact that they are being made effectively does. The Democrats are taking a page from Karl Rove's playbook and swiftboating DeVos on that issue. If they keep this up, they will basically neuter him when it comes to the economy. In elections it doesn't matter what the truth is. What matters is what people believe. They'll believe the China attacks because they haven't seen or heard of a new Amway plant going up in their town. They'll believe it because Amway did invest in China. They'll believe it because it sounds right. But most importantly they'll believe it, or at least give it some credence, because the Democrats will say it again and again and again. I think the quote goes, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After watching the interview on WDIV this morning, it sounded to me as if DeVos is not giving too much promise to the east side of the state. He mentioned many times, the necessity to diversify the economy of Michigan. I totally agree.

However, it sounded very strongly as if he was implying that we should leave the auto industry to Detroit (metro) and focus all other industry to the remainder of the state (assume GR).

On more than one occasion I have heard it mentioned by the DeVos camp that the automotive industry belongs in Detroit, and new industry belongs in the west. I can recall a couple of articles in the Grand Rapids Press that specifically used this model.

Am I incorrect in this assesment? I keep getting the impression that he is going to alienate the most heavily populated region of Michigan.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 635
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B ig_Lie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ies_and_the_Lying_Liars_Who_Te ll_Them

Quinn

Post Number: 933
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

d

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.