Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Century-old Detroit network wraps up $22M fix « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 24.247.113.201
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new head of steam

Century-old Detroit network wraps up $22M fix

http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200609 14/BIZ/609140357

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1982
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully after replacing and repairing their steam plants they'll start replacing the steam pipes leaking like crazy all over town.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1181
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is good news, They were buying steam from the city incinerator , but that my be off line in a few years.
We discussed this last year:\
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/50492/52147.html

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 141.217.214.176
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Detroit thermal would also reconnect some of the lines that haven’t been in use for a while. The John R. line is a good example of this. Detroit Thermal should also be more aggressive in negotiating with developers in the city. I am not certain, but I believe many new developments, such as the “Ellington," are not taking advantage of the steam systems. I am very much for the steam becoming more popular. It is economical, efficient, and provides customers with competition of energy companies which benefits us all.

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right Rfban! Alot of buildings in Detroit have their own steam boilers and with gas prices today if they could hook up to Detroit thermal's lines it would save them alot of monthly costs over DTE and save them on renovation costs for running duct work throughout their buildings.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City incenerator offline is a few years? When was the discussed...

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when the bonds end in 2009 the incinerator will be offline, according to Kwame K

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe I read on a anti-incenerator website that the licensee was not going to be renewed but the main reason is tax credits were running out. That along with new EPA reg’s spell its doom.
Its not tomorrow, but in 10 years or so, IIRC

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hopefully after replacing and repairing their steam plants they'll start replacing the steam pipes leaking like crazy all over town.

What you see coming out of the manhole covers is not leaking live steam, it is water vapor from the hot condensate that must be drained out of the steam lines to insure they operate efficiently and safely.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my old roomate thought the steam coming out of the manholes was from hot poop lol.

if the incinerator makes any revenue whatsoever, I have a hard time believing they'll shut it down at the earliest legal opportunity.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its supposed to save money I thought?? Kilpatrick wanted to shut it down earlier, but they have to wait until the contract ends.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.