Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Comerica Tower has all of its lights on... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 148.61.241.91
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this something new?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ wxcam/1807532/detail.html

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 141.217.173.137
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Penob hasn't been turning its lights on until late for the past few days for some reason. Comerica looks good with the lights on, but the ultimate would be "Comerica Blue" illuminations in the setback crevaces. :-)

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 148.61.241.91
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this is some type of "light downtown" intiative

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 35.11.155.190
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and some fucking external lights christ...comerica looked great during the superbowl with that rencen spotlight

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1310
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think the penobscot is just still on the schedule for the late summer nights when it doesnt get dark until mich later.

and yes, comerica tower definitely needs some exterior light...itd be great.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1286
Posted From: 69.136.147.198
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

surely there are more pressing questions out there...

Ssport
Username: Ssport

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This pic of downtown lit up is pretty sweet. Too bad it can't be like this every weekend.

superbowl

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow that is insane. It can't last because it is such a waste of energy. I don't think it is sensible to expect, in any city, that office towers (which are mainly day-use) should be completely lit late at night. I would prefer exterior lights, especially on that neat pinnacle on Comerica Tower, rather than this (although it is cool to see).

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I've always wondered if it is really that expensive to leave a certain number of lights on at night. I agree about the exterior lighting, but perhaps just the perimeter lights near windows can only be turned on if possible, instead of the entire floor.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4439
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The really only need to light the roof. Really, that's all they need to do to make it look good at night like they'd do with any setback lightings.

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've always wondered if it is really that expensive to leave a certain number of lights on at night."

Have you had to pay any energy bills, lately?

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well most buildings downtown do an alright job of lighting up, especially considering very few are residential. During the week especially, as the office towers all keep a certain number of lights on. Skyline from night always looks worst on the weekend, as there are very few office lights on since no one was in that day...

if ur ever not sure if its a weekend or not just check out the lights hah :-)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant a certain number, not the whole building. Compared to the cost of having all occupied spaces lit during working hours, having a fraction of the lights on at night should not increase their energy costs dramatically. But this all depends on how lighting systems are set up within the building. And that is what I am curious about. I worked in a building that had all of the flourescent lights near windows turn on around 9 p.m. The cost of keeping those lights on at night was not too much more than just having normal security lights on. The building looked great lit up at night, and it made the area feel safer

(Message edited by wolverine on September 15, 2006)

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should have had the library (that's what the top floor is, right?) lit up too. It would look better with the point.

That picture of the Ren Cen reminds me of the movie/manga Akira, if anyone's familiar with it. All we need are some sweet bike gangs and we'd be really cool.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.