Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » "Where Are You Going Quo Vadis?" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This long abandoned googie classic sitting across Wayne Road from Westland Shopping Center ironically begs its own Latin translation question. Where are you going?

Where is it going? Stories? Memories?

View from the north...
N

...entrance detail...
entrance

...blue and gold tile detail...
tile

...view from the south [Westland sign is brown sign behind left leg of first sign.
south

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in a western border suburb, I saw tons of movies at Quo Vadis growing up. I also worked as a short-order cook at the Westland Hudson's Restaurant during high school.

My wife and I saw "A Fish Called Wanda" there in the early days of our relationship, back in 1988.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the "Penthouse" about? How many theaters did it contain?

Czar

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It only had one or two theaters. I seem to remember, in the early days, it had a lounge area where you could have drinks, maybe even food.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 589
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there were two theatres in the Penthouse, Lowell.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 521
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i loved this theatre!! only a few visits, but all were memorable...the last thing i saw here was "Brainscan" (piece of Edward Furlong crap! but as a connoisseur of crap i had a great time)...1995, i think. not quite old enough to drink back then so one of my regrets is never getting a chance to enjoy the bar, which made the lobby feel like someone's once-lavish rec room from the 70's...

Superaygun

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but yes, somehow "Brainscan" warranted the Penthouse...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6718
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't the Penthouse theaters also much smaller, like a private-viewing room?!

I remember seeing a few movies there as well, whatever the Camelot, Carmen, and that other "C" theater in Dearborn didn't get...but alas, also too young to 'legally' drink then.

This place went into decline after the Fairlane Theaters opened up in the mall, donch'all think?! I only remember it being all ratty worn out inside...

Superaygun

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now that you mention it, G, you're right, the Penthouses were smaller. still, "Penthouse" sounds too swanky for grade-Z horror schlock! ;P
yeah, by the time of my first visit it was already a budding ruin, but that was one of the things i loved about it...

Czar

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Penthouse theaters were small, but not much smaller than some of the ones in your typical megaplex theaters today.

I think the theaters that opened up on Wayne Road, south of Warren hurt Quo Vadis more than Fairlane did. Fairlane did more of a number on the Dearborn theater and the Camelot.

Gannon

Post Number: 6719
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, this is NOT a bad place to open a independent movie salon with high quality playback...and an integral DVD software and high-end audio/video hardware sales and service.

Always thought that putting them all together in some assembly of a 'luv Hollywood' theme would be a great idea...see how good premium public playback of movies could be (the auditorium seating is actually the anti-thesis of quality, it is merely quantity), THEN as the folks are waiting to see their flick they could see also how well it can now be done at home.

Had this idea BEFORE living in LA and witnessing firsthand the amazing difference when the theater actually cares about the presentation other than simply taking money out of their patron's pockets. Taking in a first-run movie in Westwood became an event for me there...couldn't wait for these blockbuster releases--even the animated ones!

The current movie palace concept with only poison for concession 'food' is abhorrent to me, I don't go unless there is some BIG story I think I need to be assaulted with on a BIG screen...but MOST times I am disappointed with what people accept in auditorium presentation.

(my systems at home kick most theaters asses for accuracy, immediacy, detail, involvement, and pure pleasure)

I simply cannot tell you how many times I've brought to management's attention some glaring problem with their picture or sound playback systems...most just don't know, many do not care.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 475
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on my first official date with my now husband at the Quo Vadis. We saw "What's Up Doc?".

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://cinematreasures.org/the ater/2609/c

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex lived (lives?) in Westland. On our first Thanksgiving together, we went to the QV to see "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." Was always a fine theater to go to.

Could they turn it into a concert venue?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the last movie I saw there was playing in the Penthouse. It was not a small room, but due to the short ceiling the screen was small. In addition, there was virtually no slope to the seats so you were constantly jockying to look around the person in front of you.

I can remember getting thrown out of 'Moscow on the Hudson' there in High School because we were drunk. We had bought beer at the bar, but had also snuck several in.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it was pretty nasty. Not the best for viewing, thats for sure. I was not old enough to drink but once there, it did not help.

Sale Price: $3,000,000
Property Status: Existing
Sale Terms: Cash to Seller
Building Size (RSF): 28,148 SF
Total Land Size: 5.9 Acres
Zoning: B-2
Last Updated: 8/25/2006
View All Details...
http://www.lee-mi.com/fr/?img= listings&url=http%3A%2F%2Flee- mi.catylist.com%2Fjsp%2Fsearch %2Fresults%2Fresults_retail_co mmercial.jsp

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quo Vadis---Seems to me I saw that movie at the Michigan Theatre in the early 50's. Quo Vadis--
"Where Goeth Thou"? Something like that. Robert Taylor had the lead, and Liz Taylor had a bit part.
Peter Ustinov played Nero and stole the show.

Gannon

Post Number: 6743
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based upon a really good book, as I've heard.

I've tried to pick it up...too many pages.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 644
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had my first "real" date at the Quo Vadis (in the early 80s). Can't remember what we saw! I do remember the Penthouse and the sticky floors! I also remember the UGLY white and gold tile in the bathrooms with matching sinks. I nearly froze to death in the hall near the stairs to go up to the penthouse one winter day. They had a bar in the main theater area...(and in the penthouse, if I recall)

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1970, we lived across the street at the Westland Colonial Village apts. I went To Churchill H.S. and we used to skip early on fri for the dollar movies. It was a "HOT SPOT" on the weekends back then.

Nordawg_626
Username: Nordawg_626

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the Quo Vadis. But what was the name of the drive-in that use to be next door?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 663
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Algiers.

D2dyeah

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Mai Kai theatre by Livonia mall similar to the Quo Vadis?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mai Kai was at Plymouth and Farmington, and The Terrace was on Plymouth between Merriman and Middlebelt. Both in Livonia.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always loved the architecture of that place. It seems a concept ahead of its time, a lounge inside a movie theater! They have that now at Emagine, although I've never been there. I think a great idea for this place would be to make a 70's retro nightclub complete with shag carpeting, smiley faces and everyone wearing open collars and platforms. Ground level could be a dining area, the upper level would be the nightclub perhaps with a small stage for local acts. Seeing as I am $2.99 million short of the asking price, it's nothing but a pipe dream. Oh well, I enjoy peoples memories of this place.

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family used to go to the Algiers drive-in located next to the Quo Vadis. The last movie I saw there was "Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines" sometime in the mid '60's.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mai Kai was a single large theater. It always reminded me a little of the big theaters in Hollywood like the Chinese and the Cinerama Dome. Now it's a condo development.

The Terrace tried to make a go of it by splitting into smaller venues and then as a second run showhouse. Now it's a used car parking lot for Bill Brown Ford.

We always thought the Quo Vadis was upscale, especially the Penthouse.

The Algiers used to have a fire truck which took us kids on rides around the drive-in while waiting for dusk to arrive.

Citylover

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If any of you read the link I provided you would see(sorry if it has been mentioned already)that the Quo Vadis was designed by Yamasaki.Of course we know he did the Wtc and the Mich-con bldg(top of the flame).

I would not call this googie Lowell.It is a bit too elegant and refined.Certainly it is derivative of mid-century architecture.But it was built in the mid 60's so that space age kind of thinking was still very much in style.

This must have been an early commision for Yamasaki as I believe he was still with Smith/Hynchman(sp) when he did the Mich-con.

If this were in Califrnia there would be protesters lamenting things.There is a whole culture of people that worship the whole space age thing out there.I posted on one of their forums years ago about the cool Mi stuff but was largely ignored.Most of the cools stuff is in Calif but there are good things all over; including Michigan and Detroit.

From the link I learned that the Quo Vadis was only a single theater for a couple of years until it was divided into two screens. As afan of mid century I have a lot of respect for this place.I will be sorry when it goes.

D2dyeah

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. I've lived here in Los Angeles for 30 years, and have sold real estate for over 20. If this were a mid-century house, it would be restored, otherwise it would have been long gone. There would be a 100 unit "Italian Villa" standing in its place.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on another note...anyone know what happened to the showcase cinema in Dearborn? The marquees are empty and its borded up

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dearborn showcase (nee: Dearborn theatre) was a really nice big, single house as built. It was twinned in the 70's (split down the middle), then Showcase (Redstone) took it over and chopped it into little living-room bits with these long hallways connecting them. the front of the building had these wonderful enameled metal panels depicting Dearborn in 1840, then in 1940 (the year the theatre was built). Showcase covered that all up with some BS material, trying to make it look modern, circa 1988

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting point about the Yamasaki origins of the Quo Vadis design.,....scrolling back up to the photos, the Yamasaki influence is obvious in the yellow exterior panels. You see that repeated at MichCon, McGregor, and, on a much larger scale, in the WTC. Shocking to hear that CL was largely ignored in a California forum.

Citylover

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see you looking out for me casey

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIR the penthouse at the QV had glass windows overlooking the street, back when it was a first run theater and they had converted the penthouse into a movie theater (I think when it first pened the penthouse was more of a lounge area) they would ceremoneuosly pull these heavy blackout drapes before dimming the lights. Also QV was one of the few theaters (the other being the Dearborn) that sold booze but perhaps it was only the penthouse theater that had booze.

AIR the penthouse was a terrible theater, the floor MIGHT have been flat not sloped. The regular theater was okay, not too large tho. Comparison to the Mai Kai was inaccurate, the Mai Kai was a GIGANTIC thousand seat theater comparable in size to the first theater in Americana on Greenfield, the Norwest on GR or some of the medium sized downtown ones. The QV was much much smaller. The subdivision of the theaters didn't help matters much.

IMO the QV would make a spectacular strip club. (If it were located in a more happening area it would make an awesome dance club ... but location location location)

OF post war theaters in metro Detroit the QV was the 2nd nicest. The nicest one imo was the movie theater at Northland which was heavly sarrinen (sp?) influenced (this was completely lost in a 1980's remodelling). The Northland theater was the last one AIR that had the ticket takers etc dressed in the full uniform regalia ... and this was inot the 1980's. If you want to include Ford Auditorium as a post war Metro Detroit theater the QV drops to a distant third.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, but what happened to the showcase? It just closed recently...I remember going there a lot when I was younger...

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THe showcase was obsolete. It was torn down over the summer (15 and Van Dyke) Replaced by MJR with stadium seating and all that good stuff.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

makes sense 2 me...it just seems that it has been left vacant 2 too long 4 dearborns likeing..I would have figured they would have tore it down immidiately

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last movie i saw there was '13 ghosts' on a particularly boring day. only movie i've ever walked out of, and i wasnt the only one walking out.

the bulk food store in that strip mall near quo vadis dissapeared as well. now where will i get my bulk candy fix?

i remember going to the terrace as a kid and those huge hallways... now its a parking lot :-(

the mai kai? didnt it have fake palm trees in the front?

(Message edited by compn on September 27, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.