Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » "American Cities" exhibit at the Detroit Library « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main branch of the Detroit Public Library has a large installation of photographs taken from last year's "American Cities" book that will be opening today. I thought there was some event Saturday morning involving the authors/photographers, but I cannot find any information besides the general exhibit ad on the library's website. Does anyone know if there will be a signing, or a lecture, etc?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended the preview reception for the American City: Detroit Architecture 1845-2005 photo exhibit last evening and had a wonderful time. I recommend both the exhibit and the book!!!

Previously on the DPL website, they had announced that Saturday, September 16 would be the public opening of the exhibit and would feature guided tours and gallery talks by author Robert Sharoff and photographer William Zbaren at 11am, 1pm, and 3pm. You might try calling this number: 313-833-4042 to see if Saturday's event is still on.

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the information. I might try to make it to one of the Saturday talks. I majored in architecture, but now work at a bookstore where I've been perusing that book for months.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the photo image banners hanging in the 7 front arches of the Main Library.
They looked great last night with the back- lighting! (subtle but at a grand scale)

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely amazing exhibit for an absolutely amazing collection of photos! Humble and breathtaking. Can't imagine a better venue for it, either :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.