Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Gas Prices « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just received a phone call from my brother in Houghton Lake that gas prices there today dropped to $1.89. Why are the Detroit area stations still above $2? Does anyone have any insight as to the difference?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hhhmmm. I'd have to see it to believe it. I have a cottage in that area and the gas is usually .10-.20 higher up there. I did notice, however, over Labor Day it was a few cents less up there. I'm going next week. I'll check. (Not that I'm doubting your brother, maybe it was a special promotion or something.)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2.45 in Charlevoix and I heard the same thing about Houghton Lake

I also heard the national average was in the 2.60's so for once we are below it.

(Message edited by miss cleo on September 15, 2006)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The drop in gas prices we are seeing is nothing more than election year maniplulation.

The Oil & Gas industry has had a friend in the White House and in both houses of Congress for the past 6 years, and they would like it to stay that way. They don't want voters going to the polls angry over high gas prices and voting for Democrats .

They are aware that one of the first things a Democrat-controlled house of Congress will do is launch an investigation into inflated gas prices, and they are taking affirmative steps to avoid such an event.

This chart shows the amount of money that the Oil & Gas industry has donated to both Democrats and Republicans over the past 15 years. The cash flow clearly favors Republicans.

http://www.opensecrets.org/ind ustries/indus.asp?Ind=E01

The rationale for the manipulation is that enduring a couple of months of lost profits is worth ensuring at least two more years of inflated market prices...

And for those of you who would like to dismiss this as a 'conspiracy theory', it isn't. This is just how business works. Companies dontate millions to politicians because they expect to get a return on their investment.

The bottom line is, if you are tired of paying nearly three-times as much for gas as you were at the end of the 1990s, then don't fall for this scam.

I will admit, in the oil companies' shoes, I would do the same thing. But I'm not on their side of the fence. I'm a consumer...so fuck 'em.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward and Long Lake in Bloomfield Hills (9/15/06) Shell: Regular is at $2.19

Indeed, it's all for election year.
Also, usually, during winter, the price of barrel tends to deflate a little. But not this much. Prices went down more than 30% in less than a month. That means it's time to vote! YAY! Democracy!

Tarkus

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked and it's listed $1.89 @M-55 Marathon
http://www.gasbuddy.com

(Message edited by tarkus on September 15, 2006)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michigangasprices.c om/ says $1.89 in Houghton Lake. Could be a prank though, I suppose.

It's allegedly a Marathon on M-55 across from Big Boy

(Message edited by Jimaz on September 15, 2006)

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitgasprices.co m/

this web site is awesome.
Have fun looking at the stats that compare national ans state by state prices comapred to MI

cheers

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6753
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_jesus,

Thanks YOU for bringing this up...after hearing the crowd reaction on the Leno show last night...I knew immediately that was ALL this is.

The sheople can be so-o easily manipulated.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still around $2.80 here in Vegas, and higher over in the People's Republic of California.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4339
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gas prices in Las Vegas stay in Las Vegas.

Has Ray1936 settled into his new Nevada homestead yet?

jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes, indeed. And that Old English "D" on the garage front stands for much more than just my surname!
nite

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 782
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3.39 3.29 3.19

Jimaz

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted a request for verification of that Houghton Lake price to the forum at http://www.michigangasprices.c om/ under the Michigan discussion there.

I think it's a hoax because the next closest price listed there is $2.06.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bingo the jesus
anyone want to place bets on the price of gas after elections?

Jimaz

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, now the next closest price in Houghton Lake is $1.99 posted by a different user. It's allegedly a Marathon station at M-55 East Bay. Maybe there's something to it.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at this link which has the weekly gas prices going back to 1996 you don't see those Republican loving oil company executives manipulating the gas prices prior to elections. Actually the gas prices increased by some 18-20 cents in the months leading up to 04 election when Bush was running for re-election.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/in ternational/gas1.html
------------------------------ --------

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14 717550/

http://money.howstuffworks.com /gas-price.htm

http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshe lf/brochures/gasolinepricespri mer/eia1_2005primerM.html

(Message edited by rjk on September 15, 2006)

Jimaz

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, thanks for the links.

That really doesn't surprise me. Although trying to influence elections may be a factor in fixing retail gasoline prices, I think it's only one of many factors in price.

What gets me is that whenever there's a sharp price change (up or down), questions about the cause sprout like mushrooms but no credible answers appear. It's no wonder conspiracy theories follow in that kind of climate.

For example, if you do a graph of Michigan and Detroit gas prices at http://www.detroitgasprices.co m/ , there was until recently a conspicuously regular weekly price spike. Why that regularity? I've yet to hear even an hypothesis for that. Yet the regularity of it suggests some cause.

If there's a benign cause of that regularity, I'd really like to hear it.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conspiracy theorists you are. Just try to remember back one year ago when gas prices crashed down to $2.15 in November 2005 after being above $3 the whole summer of 2005. You know, that gas price manipulation by all those Republican oil executives prior to the huge election in Nov 2005. Give Me A Break!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I mage:Gas_Prices_Short_Term.png

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The price of crude oils is controlled by commodity markets...read speculation which explains the large swings. Someone says BOO in the Middle East and the price of cude jumps $5. Supply and demand also play a large roll. If everyone reduced their speed to 55mph, took mass transit and drove less then the demand would fall and so would prices. Probably back to about $1.80 to $2.00 a gallon. But the behavior of most people changed little even at $3.00 plus a gallon. Everyone still drove 80mph on the freeway and the buses were still half empty. Gas would have to go to $5.00 a gallon to pry their white knuckles off the streeting wheel!

Jimaz

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the continuing Houghton Lake drama, the $1.89 price has dropped off the board at http://www.michigangasprices.c om/ yet the $1.99 price remains!

It's like a horse race.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
And for those of you who would like to dismiss this as a 'conspiracy theory', it isn't. This is just how business works. Companies dontate millions to politicians because they expect to get a return on their investment.
______________________________ ___________________

Truer words have not been spoken.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2.24 on W Grand Blvd tonight in Detroit...

Tarkus

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough of the conspiracy crap. All I want to know is, if anyone does, why is the Houghton Lake area .20 cheaper for gas?? Instead of the Detroit area where terminals are.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I'm cheering for the five-to-six dollar a gallon gas prices. Even when gas was 99 cents the two-car family social/economic arrangement never made economic sense compared to the alternative (ie efficent mass transit) but with higher gas prices the boobeoisie will start thinking about it.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to do bookkeeping for some gas station owners. One guy was, well, pretty stupid. To try to gain business he once ran a special by selling gas one cent above cost. It made his street price look good but needless to say he eventually lost his stations.

Gannon

Post Number: 6766
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought he'd make it up in volume, huh?!

Heh.

Listen, it IS an election year, and THIS has been an issue high in the populace mindset. I cannot believe how many people across the economic spectrum are talking about how it hits their pocketbook! (just from my personal sample, but damn, this IS one thing that we all share)

They can always alter the equation of distilling petroleum to make more lower grade or higher grade depending on what they choose, to some extent, right?

At the moment, diesel is going through the roof, relative to gasoline...hitting the truckers and shipping companies, so we'll inevitably suffer some sort of inflation of any goods that need to be trucked.

That'll take some time before it is really obvious, the resistance to increase pricing is pretty strong from a couple directions.

They're tipping the balance of pricing towards the consumer gasoline market and lowering the price MORE than the usual summer/fall variance...and the populace is cheering them for it.

Same basic wave form move, increased slope of deceleration or deflation of price...lower dip in pricing...makes more happy SUV riders. This way, they don't keep peeling those W the president stickers off their windows.

Here's your bread and circuses...

Gannon

Post Number: 6767
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe today it's petroleum and high-def tv...

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Enough of the conspiracy crap." Thank you Tarkus. It looks like some folks here don't understand the economics of the oil market very well. At the risk of introducing logic into the discussion, here goes.

The commodities' market appears to have picked up the stock market's proclevity to over react to good and bad news. Post-Katrina, there was little good news about oil supply, refinement and consumption. Look at what's happened in the last 4-6 weeks. Gulf coast refineries have reached 95-97% of the pre-Katrina capacity. A major oil field was found in the Gulf. Auto makers took a lot of heat for not offering more efficient vehicles and some (like Honda and Toyota) started offering smaller cars and ramped up hybrid production. A lot of folks started talking about buying these vehicles and forgoing SUVs, vans, etc. (although it remains to be seen if it's real or just talk). Refineries began to switch back to non-summer gas blends, which are cheaper to manufacture and reduce the number of different blends required. Lastly, there was a lot of talk about oil company profits and some legislators threatened price controls and more (maybe jawboning does work). So you have a substantial decline in the world market price of oil as a commodity, talk of a decline in demand when supplies are ramping up, and some cost reductions. Therefore, lower pump prices.

All this talk about the US oil companies being able to control the market price of oil is bunk. US oil companies buy less than 15% of oil sold on the world market. Not much control there.

As for Houghton Lake pricing, not sure but I've seen the phenomenon here between some small mountain towns in the northern part of the state and Santa Fe.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of this conspiracy talk is just that, talk.

Oil is a commodity and it is traded on the commodity markets, which quickly respond to changes in supply and demand (both rumored and measured) in order to find an equilibrium price and quantity.

Because of the reasons enumerated by Jiminnm, demand is down, inventories are up, and since supply is back to pre-Katrina levels and steady, the price has dropped accordingly.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2.28 in TC today

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus, gannon,
The price is coming down and you guys are still boo-hooing about something that's non-existent. It's the market. Read the posts of jiminnm and mikeg. Maybe there needs to be another refinery built in Michigan.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a cabin up in the Houghton Lake area. The gasoline in Roscommon County has been much more affordable than gas in just about any other county. Its generally even cheaper in St. Helen's than in Houghton Lake.

I can't figure it out as the nearby counties such as Ogemaw the gas is priced 20 cents a gallon higher.

I also can;t figure out why gas is cheaper in Ohio when they have a much higher gas tax than Michigan does. Transport costs?

Mikeg

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohio state gas tax = $0.28 per gal.
Mich state gas tax = $0.19 per gal. +6% state sales tax

At current gas prices, the total MI taxes collected on a gallon of gas are about 5 cents per gallon more than Ohio's tax.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah HA! Thats what I was missing from my clouded pic... I totally forgot about that dammed douoble tax thing!

Thanks Mike, Good work!

Mikeg

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, Michigan!

The next time someone tries to argue that Michigan is not a high-tax state, just remind them of this nasty little practice of levying a tax on top of a tax!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2.16 at Speedway in SCS tonight

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gas is still 3.45 a gallon for premium here in LA. I'm moving back to Detroit!

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary: "...another refinery built in Michigan?" I think not. The Sierra Club (of which I've been a member for years, commencing when it was a trail-building, real environmental organization, not a high-priced lobbyist, special interest group) would never permit it.

Mikeg

Post Number: 277
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has not been a new petroleum refinery built in the US in about 30 years due to the NIMBY factor and groups like the Sierra Club and the EPA. Over those years, the only way refiners were able to keep up with rising gasoline demand was to expand their existing refineries and improve the efficiency of their existing processes. Most refineries have since expanded to their physical limits and are now left with process improvement as their only method for increasing gasoline output. For the past several years, peak summertime demand for gas has exceeded the domestic refiner's production capacity and they have had to import finished gasoline from foreign refineries to make up the shortfall.

The main cause of the gas price spike each spring and fall is due to the interruption in refinery production caused when they make the switch from maximizing heating oil production to maximizing gasoline production, and vice versa. Depending on the refining process "recipe" used, they can squeeze more gasoline out of a barrel of oil, but at the expense of making less heating oil. Also during the switchover, they are either beginning or ending the production and distribution of the reformulated gas blends that are required by the EPA in certain markets during the summer. These switchover activities all contribute to a temporary drop in the supply of gas, which causes the price to spike.

Gannon

Post Number: 6768
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long does gasoline store without added stabilizers? What happens to its volatility over time? What other bad effects might there be on the engine/fuel system with old gas?

What are the legal limits a person can store on residential or commercial property?

I vaguely remember a story about John Denver getting into trouble for having a huge gasoline storage tank on his property...but that was in Colorado.

Opus
Username: Opus

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gasoline storage tanks are a nightmare for the environment. I worked for a public entity when the first legislation started coming around in the late 80's and even then a leaking tank would cost upwards of $30,000.00 to have remdeiated. On the "conspiracy theory" part of the equation, there is definite manipulation. Nov 05 elections may have not been big, but they were still elections and therefore the price dropped. Don't bring the independent station owners into this discussion because they are the last cog in the machine of the oil business. It is at the processing level where the real money is being made. Then they tell us that they are losing money on the stations. It all depends on where you chose to place the profit in the process. Right now the refiner makes far more than the retailer, and it has been this way for decades. It doesn't mean that they are not jacking the price, it just means they are jacking the price on performing the refining process and not on the difference between wholesale and retail product sales. Exxon Mobil reported the highest corporate profits in recorded history last quarter. Why?? If the crude is so expensive and they are truly controlled by market forces they should be losing their backside when their raw material costs go through the roof. But instead of eating the rise in cost, they pass it along, with their own little personal bump of say 30% to the refining fees and voila profit up the gazzoo!!

Gannon

Post Number: 6772
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fraction of that 30% or so bump is where this market manipulation likely exists.

It can be a huge percentage to move the pricing either way, but until the quarterly reports are issued they're not statistically identifiable...of course with the Merlin-accounting being practised in multi-national corporations these days, all they have to do is massage the numbers to spread this data around to muddy the waters.

Begs the question of how and why the oil companies would dare show their record profits as we're moving into the election season, IF they are complicit with this administration. Perhaps they had NOWHERE else to hide the money they're making.

Mikeg

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to this Chevron website, The Uniform Fire Code limits the amount of gasoline in residential buildings to the amount "necessary for maintenance purposes and operation of equipment," not to exceed a maximum of 25 gallons.

According to Wikipedia (and several other sources), gasoline can be expected to remain "fresh" for at least 60 days after purchase. If it is stored in an airtight container and kept in a cool location away from sunlight and heat sources, it is likely to remain good for up to a year. Adding a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil can add another year to its shelf life.

Storing gas in a non-air-tight container allows the lighter compounds to vaporize into the atmosphere, reducing the volatility of the remaining gasoline. Heat and time cause the precipitation of gums and varninshes within the stored gas, which if then used in an engine, can cause expensive damage to the fuel delivery system.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony_pieroni,
You're probably right but do you think that's a good thing?

Ordinary

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1.95 at the BP in Ypsi on Testile

Gannon

Post Number: 6776
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Mikeg!

So our petroleum-slavemaster's leash is only sixty days long in general, a year if we do it right.

But they've made it illegal to do anything more than a week or two's worth about it...

Gotcha!

Jimaz

Post Number: 631
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a response about the Houghton Lake price from the Michigan discussion forum at http://www.michigangasprices.c om/ .

quote:

I just talked to a friend in Houghton Lake (8:37 pm 9-16-06), he said gas was down to $1.89 at a few stations but has gone back up to $2.09 today.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus but when he leaves, he takes your presents with him.

(Message edited by Jimaz on September 17, 2006)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4348
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News flash. jjaba got gas for less than $2.00.

Taco Bell.

jjaba, on the Westside. LOL.

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary: No, it's not a good thing. One of our big balance of payments problems is that not only does the U S import about 60% of the crude oil we use, but a significant amount of refined products...gasoline etc... manufactured overseas, and sold to us at prices higher than if the products were refined here.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Tony low oil prices will only further our dependance on oil. We are already gluttons when it comes to this. We need to use this as an opportunity to raise the gas tax to help fund projects that will help to preserve the crumbling roads, build additional non-motorized infrastructure (sidewalks, bike paths, locking facilities) and sink additional funds into improving public transportation for those who can't or should not drive.

We need to increase this tax and buy smaller fuel efficient cars. Since smaller cars use less fuel, we are going to need to raise the tax to help pay for getting all of the gas hogs off the roadway.

Gannon

Post Number: 6790
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm saying we take this newfound extra money and invest it in storage tanks that will keep a couple year's worth of the stuff.

Then fill them ONLY when it's election season.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Houghton Lake gas prices were real

http://www.houghtonlakeresorte r.com/site/news.cfm?brd=2053

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all of this talk about prices and how they are set...has anyone considered the fact that with the economy cooling down nationwide (and Michigan even moreso) that maybe the gas companies have resorted to lowering the cost of their product due to lack of demand?

Jimaz

Post Number: 657
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that goes without saying, I think. However, there's a story regarding corruption in the Interior Department breaking now. NYT. I'm off to study it.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the planet-killing SUV-heads couldn't be happier, two-bucks-a-gallon is just around the corner.

Fill'er up!

Jimaz

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NYT story is on the webpage at http://www.nytimes.com/pages/b usiness/index.html, titled "Suits Say U.S. Impeded Audits for Oil Leases." I have the complete text but I guess they want others to register for the rest of the story.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I like the elections conspiracy theory.

So the U.S. companies have so much pull that it's driving down the price in Windsor too?

The only election we have coming up is for city council. Hah

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.