Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » New (Old) Fountain in Campus Martius extension « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where the fountain being installed in the Campus Martius extension east is from? It looks like a great old fountain, should look real nice when that area is completed
Thanks

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3295
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Bagley Fountain. Search this forum for multiple threads about its history.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a glance at the Bagley Fountain on the bus today. Half of the fountain has been erected. It is at the East end of the park away from the traffic circle. You won't be able to see in the webcam below. After looking at it, I thought to myself that developement is starting to congeal or develope synergy.

Site Plan for the Park -
http://www.campusmartiuspark.o rg/park_siteplan.htm
Webcam for Campus Martius Park -
http://www.campusmartiuspark.o rg/webcam.htm

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there would be more grass than there actually appears that there actually will be. Not that I'm complaining though, it looks really good so far!!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For you youngin's I hope you're all clear on the fact that the Bagley fountain is a water drinking fountain, not a decorative fountain like the Woodward fountain.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures and some history.

http://www.merit.edu/~jimmoran /detphot/bag.html

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://hotfudgedetroit.com/php BB/viewtopic.php?t=2189

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Detroit Historical Museum's Monuments and Statues Inventory:

"The Bagley Fountain, by H. H. Richardson, is an adaptation of the Ciborium in St. Marks Basilica, Venice. Four columns support arches which are surmounted by a sharply pitched triangular roof. The space encompassed is rectangular. The fountain was designed in such a way by the placement of ice in a system of coils. $5,000 was provided in former Michigan Governor John Judson Bagley's will, which stipulated that this fountain should be a public source of drinking water, "cold and pure as the coldest mountain stream." Wisely, the executors of Bagley's will specifically stated that Richardson would be the architect. The fountain was unveiled May 30, 1887. On June 23, 1887, the Council of Detroit first ordered ice to be placed in the fountain. It was moved to its present site on July 3, 1926. The fountain was boarded up from June 4, 1937 through 1959. It operated sporadically from 1959 until 1983. The fountain was designated as a Detroit historic landmark on July 2, 1974. Governor Bagley was a very successful and influential tobacco magnate and Detroiter who obviously must have had a sincere concern for people. His accomplishments include: Detroit Alderman, 1860-61; Police Commissioner, 1865-72; influential in the passage of State legislation for the creation of the Detroit Metropolitan Police Bank and Wayne County Savings Bank; first president of the Michigan Mutual Life Insurance Company; and Michigan Governor, 1873-77. Originally the fountain was located at the head of West Fort Street near Woodward Avenue on the old City Hall site. The Kern Block near an area once known as Campus Martius is its present location. The site was made available after the Merrill Fountain was moved."

http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/collections/vewebsite2/exhi bit3/e30002a.htm

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if we could just get the Merrill Fountain back downtown...

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There should just be a giant park of all fountains!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taken monday

Detroitstar

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any sort of festivities planned to open the new park, or is it just going to magically open one morning?

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will probably open it when they open Campus Martius. Does anyone have any more recent photos?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? Campus Martius is not open? What is the place I've been hanging out at in the center of downtown for the past 3 years?

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Date of photo #1 and #3 is 4/27/1970, Donor: The Detroit News, John Judson Bagley Memorial Fountain on Campus Martius, Detroit

Date of photo #2 is Date 5/15/1958 Donor: The Detroit News, John Judson Bagley Memorial Fountain on Campus Martius, Detroit.

bag

bag2

bag3
WSU/VMC

Livedog2

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant the Grand Opening of the Winter Season at Campus Martius.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to their website (http://www.campusmartiuspark.o rg/), the Winter Kickoff, Tree Lighting Ceremony, and Opening of the Skating Rink is Friday, November 17.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to their webcam, I think they added floodlights or something...looks like it's still 4:30pm. lol

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar,
The webcam last updated on 9/19/06 at 4:31 pm. It's just daylight you're seeing and a malfunctioning webcam.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, the internet sucks at translating sarcasm. I guess it did not come across as sarcastic as it was in my mind.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sort of surprised the Campus Martius Park website has not made any mention of the construction of the Caddilac Square gardens and fountain. With it being so close and related to Campus Martius, I'd think they'd at least have something - schedule for completion, information about the fountain, or an updated design for Cadillac Square's layout.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.