Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Livernois, The Avenue of Fashion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you remember when Livernois REALLY was the Avenue of Fashion ? Aside from Robin Hood's and Billy's Deli, there were the best and finest clothing shops in the city. I remember limousine after limousine with chauffers standing next to their cars, polishing, wiping and guardiing. Early September brought out the new cars and the Kleig lights...Livernois was quite a hot place from Curtis North to Eight Mile. Adler/Schnee started there, great design studios, no place in the area even comes close to what Livernois was.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blocks clothing for men was considered one of the best in Detroit. My dad bought his suits there in the 1950's because he was fanantical about tailoring, and Blocks delivered the goods

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds fascinating, like the Paris of the West image that Detroit had in the 50's. I wasn't around back then, so pictures anyone? Hornwrecker?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The high-end art galleries, if they weren't in the Fisher Building, were on Livernois. The Morris Gallery, for one.

In the mid-60's, The Raven Gallery opened on Livernois. It was a very sophisticated coffee house in the evening that featured folk singers for the entertainment. After a few years, they moved to James Cousins just north of Outer Drive.

The Checker BBQ was just south of 8 Mile. After having an order of their ribs, the waitress would bring a steaming hot towel for you to wipe your hands.

Rich Real Estate also had a large office near 8 Mile. Mr. Rich's daughter, Miss Rich, was the Art History professor at U of D.

As Ha_asfan noted, the Adler-Schnee's had their store on the Avenue. She was an artist-fabric designer-decorator. They were the only, the best, source for high-end, high- design items. When they left Livernois, they opened a quite large two-story shop in Harmonie Park. (I think it now houses Coaches' Corner.) I still have wine glasses from Adler-Schnee.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was not called the Paris of the Midwest in the 50's.It was I believe in the late 1890's or early 20th century that Detroit was coined Paris of the midwest.Detroit in the 50's certainly did not resemble Paris.

I wish I could have seen the avenue in it's glory.It is still quite nice today.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were also very exclusive interior design studios on Livernois. My mom, who was a decorator, says designers from all over the world came to buy the decorative arts from some of the best houses in Detroit and Grosse Pointe,when the owners wanted to redecorate or they needed the cash.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.