Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Debbie Schlossel (sp?) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont know much about her (except for her howard stern appearances) however she has been writing quite a few op ed pieces out here in NYC for the NY Post lately. One was calling Michigan the next "France" and then one today which was Half a Page on Detroit Area Islamic Extremists......At the end of the article it gave her credit as "a practicing attorney in Detroit"

Anyone know the 411 on her?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to debbieschlussel.com for more information and to read her reported death threats.

Blaw82
Username: Blaw82

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some info on her Fjw718.....

http://www.debbieschlussel.com /archives/bio/

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as embarrassing as Ann Coulter - wish neither of them had Michigan ties

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vicious racist scumbag.

Blaw82
Username: Blaw82

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree with you Lilpup!!! The stuff those two write is complete garbage.

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, how do you feel about Michael Moore being from Michigan?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Moore is not a vicious racist scumbag.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to talk about Michael Moore, you should start another thread. You'll get plenty of action. Talking about him on this one is changing the subject.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's got one thing that Ann Coulter doesn't have...good looks. This chick is HOT!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's just gross. She's had so much plastic surgery she doesn't even look like a person anymore.

She ran for office in Southfield about 15 years ago, she was this nasty combination of ugly rhetoric and mean face. Not exactly ugly, but a face that matched her personality. She wrote a long screed a couple years ago explaining her work, from nose to cheekbones to lips to hair color and texture (it must be all extensions). It doesn't matter, her personality shines through.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief, if you're talking about the heavily airbrushed photo on her website, you've got to see her live on Fox News to see the unvarnished Deb.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, not so hot here:
Deb

Rossco

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering if all people who don't agree with your political, moral, etc. ideologies are vicious racist scumbags, or is it just Ann Coulter and Debbie Schlussel you detest.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can ORF and Lilpup actually back up their "lying racist scumbag" remarks with some facts, or do you guys just enjoy slandering people from the safety and anonymity of the Internet? Opposing Islamic Fundamentalism is now "racist?"

Did you guys read the Rolling Stone article about the Muslims who traveled from Dearborn by bus to protest in Washington DC during the Isreali-Lebanon conflict? The Rolling Stone reporter remarked that he heard several of the Muslims refer to Ms. Schlussel as "that Jew lady." Yep, no bigotry there.

Misssocks
Username: Misssocks

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What they said. ^

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan... you call "that jew lady" as bigotry??? Since when is being called a "jew", and in reference to "lady"... bigotry??

What if someone called you "that Christian guy". Does that sound offensive??

Bigotry is usually made of much sterner language than that.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie Schlussel went to great lengths two election cycles ago to smear Ishmael Ahmed, one of the areas most committed community activists, as an Al Queda operative. Ish, a Vietnam veteran and a guy who is as far from a terrorist as anyone in the United States. Her continuing rants about Arabs, Americans of Arab ethnic roots and Islam are disgusting and unamerican.

Oakland county residents have had to endure the odious Ms Schlussel for a very long time. At one point she was persona non grata within the Oakland Repubs because of her big mean mouth.

As far as the Rolling Stone quote, it's despicable. Two wrongs don't make a right, or do they, Warriorfan?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she's taking credit for yesterday's raid on Life for Relief (apparantly authorities seized data but didn't shut them down)

(Message edited by lilpup on September 19, 2006)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rossco and Warriorfan--both of those clowns have spewed enough examples of bigotry and mendacity that responsible conservatives would be happy to distance themselves.

You might begin with Ms Schlussel's rumor-mongering just last month that the Caro cell phone buyers were associated with Islamic Jihad.

Ann Coulter's exhortation that we should "invade Arab countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity" should be sufficiently memorable, isn't it?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody had a field day beating her with the ugly stick.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ann Coulter's exhortation that we should "invade Arab countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity" should be sufficiently memorable, isn't it?

I never said anything in defense of Ann Coulter. I agree that she is a nutjob. I was simply looking for some proof that Debbie Schlussel was a racist. I agree that she jumped the gun on those kids who bought the cell phones, but then again so did the mainstream press.

But I do think there is an extremist Islamic sentiment that is running strong among many Muslims in SE Michigan. That Rolling Stone article was a real eye-opener, I suggest that you all should read it. These were "mainstream" Muslims from Dearborn and they were saying things like "Bush is the world's only terrorist." I'm no fan of George Bush, but in all honesty, Muslims were bombing embassies and committing suicide bombings back when Georgie was still Governor of Texas, so that whole "Bush is responsible for the violence in the Muslim world" argument made by many in the mainstream Muslim faith in Dearborn isn't going to fly with me.

Also of note is how they never denounce the tactics of Hezbollah targeting civilians or starting the war by kidnapping soldiers. When Muslims rallied in Dearborn by the thousands, waving their "Israel=Nazis" signs, did anyone see even a SINGLE sign among the ~25,000 people that called for restraint by Hezbollah (AKA the guys who started it)? Sorry, but like someone said in another thread, the silence from the Muslim community in SE Michigan in regards to Muslim terrorist acts is deafening. Israel killing a few hundred Lebanese civilians got 25,000 people to rally in the streets of Dearborn, how many rallied in the past five years to protest the TENS OF THOUSANDS murdered by Muslim terrorists since 9/11 (in Bali, in Beslan, in London, in Madrid, and all over the world)?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not the point. You are changing the subject. The subject is whether Debbie Schlussel is a hate monger. The answer is yes. Please start a "Islam hatemongering" thread if you want to do that, otherwise you're changing the subject. What is this, Fox "News"?

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3247
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's frightening that Warriorfan thinks she's hot.

Rossco

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never listened to either of the commentators. If they are anything like Rush Limbaugh (narrow-minded hate-monger) then I wouldn't appreciate their views. On the other hand, I'm not too thrilled with some of the hate the other side is spewing. My point being that rabid extremists usually spew garbage, and if you tend to agree with any hateful speech, then you’re pretty much the same as those you oppose.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it, E. Hemingway, that's the real Debbie ..to get the full effect you need to play the audio, she has the worst, screechy Michigan accent you can imagine. Sounds like someone giving you change at the 7-11.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She needs to spend a few bucks at a hair salon.

Sheesh.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If they are anything like Rush Limbaugh (narrow-minded hate-monger) then I wouldn't appreciate their views."

Thanks to her word choice and gross generalizations Schlussel, imho, is more inflammatory than Limbaugh.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it when people who don't even listen to people like Limbaugh call them hate-mongers but provide no evidence to support their claims.

Hate, is seems to me, means that you despise someone so much you would like to see them dead. I listen to Rush every day and he has never said anything that even comes close to that line. He is unapologetic in his views and feels the liberal philosophy is misguided, as do millions of other average Americans. Criticism and lively debate does not equate to hate-mongering.

The liberals on the airwaves have actually fantasized about the death of George Bush (Randy Roads of Air America) and we now have a movie that seems to promote that idea as well. There are other numerous examples, Alec Baldwin calling for the execution of Henry Hyde on national television, etc...

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 862
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because Debbie is a "conservative", that certainly isn't any reason to hate her. She makes great points about Hamas, Hezbollah, and other radical Islamic groups who are operating right under our noses. While I am the first one to believe that people can think and express their ideas verbally as much as they would like, these groups are unquestionably racist against whites and any non-muslim.....so much so that they would like to see us all wiped out. They are extremely dangerous, and pointing that fact out doesn't make her a racist. If you think the skinheads and the Klan are dangerous, these groups are 100,000,000 times more organized, well-funded and committed......to put it in perspective.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't call Debbie a conservative...that's an insult to legitimate conservatives everywhere.

Her portrayal of Ishmael Ahmed, who I also am aquainted with, as a "radical muslim" is complete bullshit. Based just on that hysterical portrayal of Ish, I have to say that she's a shrill, alarmist conservocrite fear-pimping hatemonger.
Speaking of fear pimping, I'd love to see some stats for Gambling mans's assurances about the evil that lurks "right under our noses". Are these groups lurking in the salt mines? In Dearborn? In Sterling Heights? Do they wear disguises?
I have no use for fundamentalists of any stripe, especially islamists, with their constant rules rules rules for everything (to borrow a phrase from Rusdie) but the people screaming the loudest about the evil islamists had no complaints when they were getting money, guns and training from the CIA and the Reagan admin 20 years ago...That's because 20 years ago, the same folks were screaming about the communist menace, and how it didn't matter if a few thousand civilians or a few catholic clergy got killed in the battle between good and evil...
The people who see a threat under the dome of every mosque, and behind the face of every swarthy bearded man are the same people who excuse the endless incompetence of the current admin in Washington. They helped get us into the Iraq fiasco, and are no different to me than the hoards of fanatic islamists who scream threats against america.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
The liberals on the airwaves have actually fantasized about the death of George Bush (Randy Roads of Air America) and we now have a movie that seems to promote that idea as well. There are other numerous examples, Alec Baldwin calling for the execution of Henry Hyde on national television, etc...
______________________________ ___________________

I hate to rain on your parade, but outside of Mitch Albom, the talk radio air-waves have been run by the lunitic right for the past say 15+ years.

Not sure what terrestrial radio you have been listening to but unless the stars are in line, few came tune in to 1310, liberal talk.

Meanwhile, WJR is (with exception of Mitch) all right wing all the time.

Jake_the_snake
Username: Jake_the_snake

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, my brother went to high school with Debbie Schlussel, and I went with him to his reunion, in August. She is not only very hot, she is way better looking than the photo on her site, which I think makes her look heavier, older, and with too much make-up. Not sure about the photo you posted of her from FOX, but she must have been having a bad hair day. Here is one I found from her site. Having seen her in person that recently, I think she's just not a photogenic chick.

I don't agree with everything she says. But she is reasonable, intelligent, and a respected conservative. As for Ismael Ahmed, the guy is a huge unabashed supporter of Islamic terrorism, which Schlussel has documented amply. Facts are facts. He is using our tax money for nefarious purposes.

Debbie Schlussel on FOX News

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woman is a screaming freak. And I hope Ish reads this and shows his lawyer. What a fucked up charge.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, the conservocrites war is a such a failure that I guess it's open season on American Citizens, even those who are Vietnam vets, even those who have started community based organizations that employ caucasians, blacks, mexican-americans and arab-americans.
Have any of the "Ish is an Al-Queda" types ever been to ACCESS?
Obviously some people should just hang out on www.hotornot.com

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schlussel invents facts about Michigan cities (like Hamtramck) to support her arguments.

For example, she claims that Hamtramck is has a growing Muslim population, which could possibly be true, but there aren't any studies to support this. I asked her on what facts she based these comments, but she declined to answer.

Also, she recently said Hamtramck has a growning Bosninan immigrant population which simply isn't true. This was the case years ago after the war but is no longer accurate.

She also made claims that the Hamtramck noise ordinance specifically mentions the Islamic call to prayer, which it doesn't. It's language covers all religious sounds and doesn't specifically mention any.

When confronted with these factual inaccuracies, she dosn't recant her statements or correct her stories, she just presses on with her adgenda.

I even offered to send her a copy of our noise ordinace, but she apparantly wasn't interested.

Schlussel makes up facts and declines to back them up. The burden of proof is on the person making the crazy assertions, not the rest of us.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gosh, what a quaint old fashioned concept!
does this rule apply if your brother went to school with debbie?

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ishmael Ahmed is a good man and a great American. Any statement to the contrary concerning his character is bullshit. Smearing an American war veteran this way is if anything is worse than hate mongering.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.